Silicon Knights says VERY GOOD CHANCE they will return to Nintendo development!?

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jedigemini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jedigemini
Member since 2007 • 2483 Posts

Look who's come crawling back ;) looks like everybody wants to be a part of the winning team this gen.

http://wii.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=10476

Three years ago, Nintendo parted ways with long-time second-party developer Silicon Knights, the company responsible for such hits as Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes for the Nintendo GameCube. Shortly thereafter, the developer announced plans to release the (much delayed) Too Human trilogy on Microsoft's Xbox 360.

Nintendo World Report sat down recently with Dennis Dyack, the current president and founder of Silicon Knights. When asked if he could foresee the company returning to Nintendo to develop in a third-party status, Dyack responded, "we'd consider working on the Wii today, we'd consider working on the Wii immediately, and is there a possibility of us working on the Wii, yeah, absolutely. I think that it depends on the type of game we're trying to make, but I'd say the possibility is very high."

He continued, "I think from a perspective of 'What's going to happen?' it's the timing and the project and how we feel about what we're working on, does it fit? If it fits, we'll do it without question. The Wii is clearly very successful and it's a great console and it wouldn't make any sense for us not to consider it. We would always consider it."

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts
Don't expect anything complicated... or challenging..
hyruledweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hyruledweller
Member since 2006 • 3168 Posts
Is it me, or is Wii starting to get serious third party support now?
jedigemini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jedigemini
Is it me, or is Wii starting to get serious third party support now?hyruledweller
Wait a year and you'll see what good third party support truly is... the Wii will be to consoles as DS is to handhelds.
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts

Does this mean Wii can get the Eternal Darkness sequel? :o

jedigemini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jedigemini

Eponique
Think of all the ways they could incorporate the Wiimote into the bizarre gameplay... would be stellar.
Mil-m5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mil-m5
Member since 2005 • 3354 Posts
Is it me, or is Wii starting to get serious third party support now?hyruledweller
Silicon knights has nothing to do with serious.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

[QUOTE="hyruledweller"]Is it me, or is Wii starting to get serious third party support now?Mil-m5

Eternal Darkness=AAA. MGS twin snakes wasnt there idea at all, but all in all it was still a good game. The cutscenes were good and stuff.

Too Human was looking fantastic. 4 player coop online. Mix of DMC and Diablo gameplay with RPG elements. Honestly until the whole epic thing the game was looking great other than that bad E3 06 showing.

Silicon Knights is a great dev and if Wii got an Eternal Darkness sequal it would be a very,very,very good game.

mazdaspeed-rx8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mazdaspeed-rx8
Member since 2007 • 1000 Posts
wow lemmings are going to trash this place, if SK goes back to Nintendo.
OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 OhSnapitz

wow lemmings are going to trash this place, if SK goes back to Nintendo.mazdaspeed-rx8

*looks around* I'm thinking NO! :|

hyruledweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hyruledweller

[QUOTE="hyruledweller"]Is it me, or is Wii starting to get serious third party support now?Mil-m5

Eternal Darkness - not serious?

hamstergeddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hamstergeddon
Member since 2006 • 7188 Posts
nice 8)
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
wow lemmings are going to trash this place, if SK goes back to Nintendo.mazdaspeed-rx8
Im a lemming(i consider my 360 my primary over the Wii). But im not gonna bash SK for going back to do a Nintendo game. Its not like they will go 2nd party again. Its more like they are trying to make a name as a 3rd party. They have games in work for Sony. Personally id buy there game for PS3 when i get my PS3 as well. They are a good dev, they just received alot of heat with this Too Human E3 06 and the new unreal engine crap that just started.
IAmRodyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 IAmRodyle
Member since 2006 • 4347 Posts

Don't expect anything complicated... or challenging.. OhSnapitz

Can't remember that last time SK made a game that wasn't "serious"...

Matt747uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Matt747uk
Member since 2006 • 313 Posts
Obviously Nintendo will be getting better third party support, I'm just interested into how third parts treat the Wii. If there's a lot of money in mini games/ports then I can't see them being over ambitous with Wii projects. As for SK, an Eternal Darkness sequal does sound likely.
Blanco98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Blanco98
Member since 2006 • 1118 Posts

yea, wii is geting some 3rd party support but from the game i seen None of those were really interesting, The N's true power is from first party game but only a few IMO.

jedigemini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jedigemini
Don't expect anything complicated... or challenging.. OhSnapitz
All Silicon Knights games have been complicated and challenging.
OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 OhSnapitz

[QUOTE="OhSnapitz"]Don't expect anything complicated... or challenging.. jedigemini

Yes.. but most wii games are not.

hyruledweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hyruledweller

[QUOTE="jedigemini"][QUOTE="OhSnapitz"]Don't expect anything complicated... or challenging.. OhSnapitz

So...that automatically means every wii games wont be serious?

jedigemini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jedigemini

[QUOTE="jedigemini"][QUOTE="OhSnapitz"]Don't expect anything complicated... or challenging.. OhSnapitz

You're dreaming if you think Silicon Knights is going to release a kiddy mini-game compilation on the Wii. That's just not their style.
solidsnakeEx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#21 solidsnakeEx3
Member since 2004 • 26413 Posts

That doesn't mean that Silicon Knights can't do something complicated and challenging. I don't think GC games were so complicated and challenging at launch, but SK brought out Eternal Darkness.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c25ed127ff1d
deactivated-5c25ed127ff1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5c25ed127ff1d
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts
I was just playing Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.  I've been buying up all sorts of gamecube games to play via the Wii's backwards compatibility recently.  That game is extermely well done.  Deep, very dark, memorable charaters and interesting gameplay....  the guy that said "Silicon kinghts has nothing to do with serious" has obviously never played Eternal Darkness.
Mil-m5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mil-m5
Member since 2005 • 3354 Posts

[QUOTE="Mil-m5"][QUOTE="hyruledweller"]Is it me, or is Wii starting to get serious third party support now?hyruledweller

Eternal Darkness - not serious?

Duke nukems from last decade were serious also.
jedigemini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jedigemini
I was just playing Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. I've been buying up all sorts of gamecube games to play via the Wii's backwards compatibility recently. That game is extermely well done. Deep, very dark, memorable charaters and interesting gameplay.... the guy that said "Silicon kinghts has nothing to do with serious" has obviously never played Eternal Darkness.bawkbawkboo1
Silicon Knights makes very serious games for very serious gamers... anybody expecting to see a Sanity's Requiem Vs. Sesame Street Wii Mini-game compilation from them has no grasp on reality.
7arek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 7arek
Member since 2007 • 725 Posts

HOLY !@#$ if Silicon Knights went back to Nintendo, I'd s@#$ my pants. Eternal Darkness was one of the best games (if not the best) I've ever played. If they would make some more amazing games like that for Nintendo, I see no reason why I'd need another console. But isn't Too Human set for a trilogy?

M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts

Relying on speculations, word of mouths from developers on games that haven't even materialized is a shear sign of desperation.

1. It's already July and 4 more months to go and Wii's 3rd party support is a joke.
  2. MS and Sony have showcased many upcoming and impressive games coming 07-08, where the hell are Wii's?
  3. Wii's supercharged architecture is based off GC's, a 7 year-old technology, there's NO EXCUSE for lack or abyssmal 3rd party games. (bu...bu....but et tayks tym toooo mayk dah turd partee gamezorz:cry:......PLEASE GET REAL, and keep off the glue)
  4. Reality check: 1st party games, simple pick& play games WILL MOSTLY dominate the Wii ;)
  5. And Nintendo CLEARLY stated they're not exactly competing with MS or Sony. Hence, theyre going after a different market.
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Eponique

Relying on speculations, word of mouths from developers on games that haven't even materialized is a shear sign of desperation.

1. It's already July and 4 more months to go and Wii's 3rd party support is a joke.
  2. MS and Sony have showcased many upcoming and impressive games coming 07-08, where the hell are Wii's?
  3. Wii's supercharged architecture is based off GC's, a 7 year-old technology, there's NO EXCUSE for lack or abyssmal 3rd party games. (bu...bu....but et tayks tym toooo mayk dah turd partee gamezorz:cry:......PLEASE GET REAL, and keep off the glue)
  4. Reality check: 1st party games, simple pick& play games WILL MOSTLY dominate the Wii ;)
  5. And Nintendo CLEARLY stated they're not exactly competing with MS or Sony. Hence, theyre going after a different market.

M8ingSeezun

Read the fine print "The possiblity is very high". Why can't you accept that? Afraid of Nintendomination? And, I'm surprised you haven't seen the Wii's winter line-up, I'd list it, but when you post your lists a thousand times to blind fanboys you tend to get bored.

And yes, good games aren't made overnight, that point should've tooken no longer than 10 seconds to thought up, it's pathetic.

M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts
[QUOTE="M8ingSeezun"]

Eponique

Read the fine print "The possiblity is very high". Why can't you accept that? Afraid of Nintendomination? And, I'm surprised you haven't seen the Wii's winter line-up, I'd list it, but when you post your lists a thousand times to blind fanboys you tend to get bored.

And yes, good games aren't made overnight, that point should've tooken no longer than 10 seconds to thought up, it's pathetic.

I'll wait till it finally materializes. Relying on high possibilities is not good enough.

No not affraid of Nintendomination, but they've had thier chance with GC....and I was waiting for them.....look what happen. They shot themselves on the foot.....twice. For me, I've moved on.

Why can't you accept that minigames will simply dominate and limited hardcore games will be just that....limited?

You can't list them maybe because most of them are a joke.

Indeed, good games aren;t made overnight, yet a complicated console like PS3 has already showcased Haze and KZ2, which is looking impressive right now.........playing on a very complicated hardware, with astronomical costs in production ;)

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Eponique
[QUOTE="Eponique"][QUOTE="M8ingSeezun"]

M8ingSeezun

I'll wait till it finally materializes. Relying on high possibilities is not good enough.

No not affraid of Nintendomination, but they've had thier chance with GC....and I was waiting for them.....look what happen. They shot themselves on the foot.....twice. For me, I've moved on.

Why can't you accept that minigames will simply dominate and limited hardcore games will be just that....limited?

You can't list them maybe because most of them are a joke.

They never had a chance with the GC, where are you at? The PS2 released a year early, it was hyped, because of the success of the PS1. All the 3rd Parties were long on board before the GC was released. And the PS2 was a proven success. There was no point in devloping for the GC. Nintendo relied on their first party titles and still managed to make a profit.

Guh, not this minigame arguement again, have haters lost all creativity?! Not to mention it's 7 out of 300

Edit: And in case you didn't realize, we're in the thread which proves the Wii is getting serious third party support, and you come up with this crap.

Mad_Rhetoric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mad_Rhetoric
Member since 2005 • 3642 Posts

take them, their games are garbage anyways

Avatar image for GearsOfWarLover
GearsOfWarLover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 GearsOfWarLover
Member since 2006 • 637 Posts
ah i really liked the first one but wasnt scary as RE Remake, it was fun and i would buy ED sequel for sure
AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AvIdGaMeR444
Member since 2004 • 7031 Posts
Nintendo may not want Silicon Knights. After all, Eternal Darkness was supposed to be a late N64 title. Silicon Knights is infamous for delay after delay after delay. They also didn't make a lick of money for Nintendo since Eternal Darkness sold so poorly. And now they want back in? Wow, what hypocrites! It is Silicon Knights own damn fault that Eternal Darkness did not sell well. The advertising was very poor. But I'm sure they blame the Gamecube's less than spectacular install base. That is just an excuse though because SSBM sold a buttload and it was on Gamecube. Nintendo should justlaugh in Silicon Knights' collective faces and not even consider letting them back in.
RevenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RevenMan
Member since 2005 • 462 Posts
I hate what they did with MGS the twin snakes. They shouldnt have made an mgs remake they did that game like it was the matrix or something witch it isn't. Original MGS owns MGS Twin Snakes. Im not sure on too human tough we will just have to wait and see what happens.
magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 magiciandude
Member since 2004 • 9667 Posts
I love how SK is being trashed now just for wanting to goback to Nintendo. :roll:
magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 magiciandude

I hate what they did with MGS the twin snakes. They shouldnt have made an mgs remake they did that game like it was the matrix or something witch it isn't. Original MGS owns MGS Twin Snakes. Im not sure on too human tough we will just have to wait and see what happens.RevenMan

What's wrong with MGS: TS? I thought it was a great game. :?

i_like_pizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 i_like_pizza
Member since 2002 • 4683 Posts
This was already known. SK had always said they weren't opposed to developing for Nintendo consoles.
AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AvIdGaMeR444

I love how SK is being trashed now just for wanting to goback to Nintendo. :roll:magiciandude

And I love how Silicon Knights put years and years of development into a game that flopped because there was not enoough advertising for it. Real smart Silicon Knights. They leave Nintendo because they were fed up with the less than stellar GC sales and were worried theirgames wouldn't sell. They didn't consider the fact that IT WAS THEIR OWN DAMN FAULT that Eternal Darkness didn't sell. Now they want to come crawling back to Nintendo? Whatever. They can at least wait and see if Too Human sells well. I predict a flop on that game anyway. Silicon Knights has never proved themselves IMO. They only have a few games out, and one of them is a MGS remake. Did they really think MGS: Twin Snakes would sell well on GC? They sure didn't learn did they...MGS: Subsistence sold much worse on Xbox than PS2. PS2 had a huge install base that helped with MGS sales. Silicon Knights is not very smart.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts
[QUOTE="Eponique"][QUOTE="M8ingSeezun"]

M8ingSeezun

Indeed, good games aren;t made overnight, yet a complicated console like PS3 has already showcased Haze and KZ2, which is looking impressive right now.........playing on a very complicated hardware, with astronomical costs in production ;)

Good point. There should really be no excuse for Wii's pathetic lack of 3rd party or crappy ports.

magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 magiciandude

[QUOTE="magiciandude"]I love how SK is being trashed now just for wanting to goback to Nintendo. :roll:AvIdGaMeR444

And I love how Silicon Knights put years and years of development into a game that flopped because there was not enoough advertising for it. Real smart Silicon Knights. They leave Nintendo because they were fed up with the less than stellar GC sales and were worried theirgames wouldn't sell. They didn't consider the fact that IT WAS THEIR OWN DAMN FAULT that Eternal Darkness didn't sell. Now they want to come crawling back to Nintendo? Whatever. They can at least wait and see if Too Human sells well. I predict a flop on that game anyway. Silicon Knights has never proved themselves IMO. They only have a few games out, and one of them is a MGS remake. Did they really think MGS: Twin Snakes would sell well on GC? They sure didn't learn did they...MGS: Subsistence sold much worse on Xbox than PS2. PS2 had a huge install base that helped with MGS sales. Silicon Knights is not very smart.

Well what can I say? GC 2/3 party games saleswere flopping compared to PS2/Xbox. Also, I thought that sales didn't matter anymore according to SW(Yes, I am aware that you're not a fanboy).

Avatar image for Vyse_The_Daring
Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Vyse_The_Daring
Member since 2003 • 5318 Posts

Nintendo may not want Silicon Knights. After all, Eternal Darkness was supposed to be a late N64 title. Silicon Knights is infamous for delay after delay after delay. They also didn't make a lick of money for Nintendo since Eternal Darkness sold so poorly. And now they want back in? Wow, what hypocrites! It is Silicon Knights own damn fault that Eternal Darkness did not sell well. The advertising was very poor. But I'm sure they blame the Gamecube's less than spectacular install base. That is just an excuse though because SSBM sold a buttload and it was on Gamecube. Nintendo should justlaugh in Silicon Knights' collective faces and not even consider letting them back in. AvIdGaMeR444

Really, a game with "Mario" in the name sold better than a game casuals had never heard about? Fascinating. But you're right, Nintendo should refuse, because what they've always needed is less third party support. :roll:

AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AvIdGaMeR444

[QUOTE="AvIdGaMeR444"]Nintendo may not want Silicon Knights. After all, Eternal Darkness was supposed to be a late N64 title. Silicon Knights is infamous for delay after delay after delay. They also didn't make a lick of money for Nintendo since Eternal Darkness sold so poorly. And now they want back in? Wow, what hypocrites! It is Silicon Knights own damn fault that Eternal Darkness did not sell well. The advertising was very poor. But I'm sure they blame the Gamecube's less than spectacular install base. That is just an excuse though because SSBM sold a buttload and it was on Gamecube. Nintendo should justlaugh in Silicon Knights' collective faces and not even consider letting them back in. Vyse_The_Daring

Really, a game with "Mario" in the name sold better than a game casuals had never heard about? Fascinating. But you're right, Nintendo should refuse, because what they've always needed is less third party support. :roll:

Whatever. If they come back to Nintendo, there will only be 1 or 2 games at most on Wii...because Silicon Knights is notorious for taking a long time. Wow, 1 or 2 games. That will help the Wii infinitely more because Silcon Knights is God! :roll:

bulb_or_parrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 bulb_or_parrot
Member since 2007 • 73 Posts

Eponique

Sorry, no, it doesn't. Why? Because it takes Denis Dyack so long to make a game! You'll be playing Eternal Darkness 2 on the next Nintendo console at the rate he moves... plus, Eternal Darkness won't even get started on until he's finished the Too Human Trilogy, which, at the current rate, should be done in 2015...

I luvs Denis Dyack, but he won't hurry up for all the cheeseburgers in the world.

jedigemini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jedigemini
[QUOTE="Eponique"]

bulb_or_parrot

Sorry, no, it doesn't. Why? Because it takes Denis Dyack so long to make a game! You'll be playing Eternal Darkness 2 on the next Nintendo console at the rate he moves... plus, Eternal Darkness won't even get started on until he's finished the Too Human Trilogy, which, at the current rate, should be done in 2015...

I luvs Denis Dyack, but he won't hurry up for all the cheeseburgers in the world.

Wii games can be made faster than 360/PS3 games.
i_like_pizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 i_like_pizza
Member since 2002 • 4683 Posts
[QUOTE="bulb_or_parrot"][QUOTE="Eponique"]

jedigemini

2014 1/2, then. Seriously, he's

SLOW

bulb_or_parrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 bulb_or_parrot
[QUOTE="bulb_or_parrot"][QUOTE="Eponique"]

jedigemini

Didn't say they couldn't, GCN games could be made faster than 360 / PS3 games, but you know what? Dyack never got Too Human done on the GCN. It's not how long development takes, it's that Denis Dyack is very meticulous about making a game, he's spent ten years on Too Human...

I mean, if he's going to make a game on a Nintendo platform, he's going to make it right, but I wouldn't count 100% on him getting it out on the Wii... the man is like a great redwood when it comes to making games, not like a fast Wendy's burger master, churning out cheeseburgers at lighting speed.
joeychew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 joeychew
Member since 2003 • 4580 Posts
dev pretty much choose console with most sales.
bulb_or_parrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 bulb_or_parrot
dev pretty much choose console with most sales.joeychew

Not always, 'cuz sometimes it makes sense to choose the underdog because there's less competition on that platform. Like releasing the best version of RE4 (well other than PC) on the Gamecube made sense, 'cuz GCN owners noticed, and they were like "oh man, must buy, it is like a steamy fresh cheeseburger!" Then, everyone heard how good it was, and when it was ported to the PS2 and PC it could sell more.

Business strategy is all complex and crazy like that.
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Eponique
[QUOTE="M8ingSeezun"][QUOTE="Eponique"][QUOTE="M8ingSeezun"]

KingsofQueens

Good point. There should really be no excuse for Wii's pathetic lack of 3rd party or crappy ports.

Haze and KZ2 are out?! Why is this news to me?

jedigemini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jedigemini
[QUOTE="joeychew"]dev pretty much choose console with most sales.bulb_or_parrot

Not always, 'cuz sometimes it makes sense to choose the underdog because there's less competition on that platform. Like releasing the best version of RE4 (well other than PC) on the Gamecube made sense, 'cuz GCN owners noticed, and they were like "oh man, must buy, it is like a steamy fresh cheeseburger!" Then, everyone heard how good it was, and when it was ported to the PS2 and PC it could sell more.

When the Wii's use base is larger than the PS3/360 combined we'll see how well your theory holds up.
bulb_or_parrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 bulb_or_parrot
[QUOTE="bulb_or_parrot"][QUOTE="joeychew"]dev pretty much choose console with most sales.jedigemini

When the Wii's use base is larger than the PS3/360 combined we'll see how well your theory holds up.

Are you insane? My theory is 100% correct - companies don't just release games for the winning platform silly - how else do you explain the Gamecube and the Xbox having games? In fact, why are they making Wii games now, 'cuz it's not #1 yet! Obviously companies will put games on any platform that makes money, even if it's not the first place platform. If a platform gets ignored, there's less competition on that platform, so companies start eyeing it going "there haven't been any GameStation games in a while, let's make one!"