Should Valve sell Half life IP to someone else?

• 54 results
Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

and by someone else I mean some respected PC oriented developer and not shallow console developer.

so my dear friends, lets talk about it. since we all know Valve will never make any other game in future, neither Half life 3 will ever coming out. do you think valve should sold Half life IP? I hope so. selling Half life IP is only closest thing we will see for a series to continue.

Look at System shock IP. it has been in the hand of EA, as a result dead space was suppose to be System shock 3 but planned change and made it third person horror. and when they sold it, they sold it to night dive studio. who let old looking glass stuido to make System shock 3.

I think valve should sell half life too. valve will never make any game because lot of senior talent worked as game developers left. level designer left, lead writer of Half life series quit. its no longer game development company but digital distribution company.

what do you think?

Discuss

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

Never ever let Valve sell Half-Life rights to anyone else cause someone else will just fucked it up bad.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#3 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

No one told story like Half Life 2 did. I can't think of any studio that can do it justice, other than may be OtherSide Entertainment but they'll need a lot of money to achieve that. Should Valve sell Half Life IP? No they shouldn't and they won't. It'll be a financial suicide. They can make so much money with the next installment.

Right now there is no need for them to make it happen but they can use it to popularize their future items, just like how they used Half Life 2 to launch Steam. I also don't want them to sell the IP because if someone else made Half Life 3 then it won't be Half Life, it'll look and feel different. As I said, OtherSide Entertainment is best option but only if they get license, support and money from Valve.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Farm it out, maybe, sell the IP, no.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46281 Posts

Don't sell it to Randy Pitchford.

he would claim he loves the IP, only to ship it off to some third rate developer, and funnel the money for other projects.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaVillain  Moderator

@R4gn4r0k said:

he would claim he loves the IP, only to ship it off to some third rate developer, and funnel the money for other projects.

I learn that the hard way from DNF.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

i think maybe farming it out would be better. they dont need to raise money so selling it off would be pointless.

im just not sure who would be good for making it. so send it to the go to guys in development: platinum :P.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Funnily enough, Gearbox did do the two expansions to Half Life 1, and they were amazing.

But I'd prefer Half Life to stay firmly in Valve's hands.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Sell it to MACHINE GAMES. Best FPS devs out there :)

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ghosts4ever

@Cloud_imperium said:

No one told story like Half Life 2 did. I can't think of any studio that can do it justice, other than may be OtherSide Entertainment but they'll need a lot of money to achieve that. Should Valve sell Half Life IP? No they shouldn't and they won't. It'll be a financial suicide. They can make so much money with the next installment.

Right now there is no need for them to make it happen but they can use it to popularize their future items, just like how they used Half Life 2 to launch Steam. I also don't want them to sell the IP because if someone else made Half Life 3 then it won't be Half Life, it'll look and feel different. As I said, OtherSide Entertainment is best option but only if they get license, support and money from Valve.

what about ID software?

I agree with otherside entertainment but the problem is they will focus on RPG elements and thats not what half life is about. I even think flying wild hog will ruined it too.

ID software is only company that can do Half life justice after valve.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Yeah, they should sell it to Activision or EA.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#13  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Why should they? Game IP holders like Valve only sell their IP when they're struggling for cash or going through bankruptcy. Valve are not in any danger of bankruptcy, and they're printing money like no tomorrow.

Might as well just do what Hollywood would do; sit on it then maybe reboot when enough people forget about it.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46281 Posts

@davillain- said:

I learn that the hard way from DNF.

Yeah but DNF also showed 3D Realms was up to no good :P

@beardmad said:

Funnily enough, Gearbox did do the two expansions to Half Life 1, and they were amazing.

But I'd prefer Half Life to stay firmly in Valve's hands.

I really liked Opposing Force, Blueshift not so much. But Opposing Force was an amazing return to Black Mesa and influenced a lot of expansion packs in the same vein.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#15 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

No, it just wouldnt be good. There is no point

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Cloud_imperium

@ghosts4ever said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

what about ID software?

I agree with otherside entertainment but the problem is they will focus on RPG elements and thats not what half life is about. I even think flying wild hog will ruined it too.

Why would they have RPG elements in a game? Who doesn't understand what Half Life was all about? Also don't forget that Half Life 3 was supposed to have RPG elements when it was still in development in some shape or form at Valve. Leaked files showed that Valve was obsessed with better squad system, day night cycles and RPG style weapon upgrade system.

Not to mention first System Shock didn't have RPG elements, so LGS did create games with no RPG elements. Same goes for Thief games as well, which had streamlined first person controls and skill based gameplay instead of states based gameplay.

id Software sucks at storytelling which is huge part of Half Life saga. Half Life 2 didn't have best gunplay. People liked it because of its storytelling, compelling world and characters as well as great presentation and pacing.

Don't forget, OtherSide Entertainment guys have experience in creating compelling worlds with engaging storylines that progress in real time during gameplay as much as they progress during mission briefing cutscenes. They also created some of the most (if not THE most) immersive environments in video games and memorable characters.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ghosts4ever

@Cloud_imperium said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

what about ID software?

Why would they have RPG elements in a game? Who doesn't understand what Half Life was all about? Also don't forget that Half Life 3 was supposed to have RPG elements when it was still in development in some shape or form at Valve. Leaked files showed that Valve was obsessed with better squad system, day night cycles and RPG style weapon upgrade system.

Not to mention first System Shock didn't have RPG elements, so LGS did create games with no RPG elements. Same goes for Thief games as well, which had streamlined first person controls and skill based gameplay instead of states based gameplay.

id Software sucks at storytelling which is huge part of Half Life saga. Half Life 2 didn't have best gunplay. People liked it because of its storytelling, compelling world and characters as well as great presentation and pacing.

Don't forget, OtherSide Entertainment guys have experience in creating compelling worlds with engaging storylines that progress in real time during gameplay as much as they progress during mission briefing cutscenes. They also created some of the most (if not THE most) immersive environments in video games and memorable characters.

I wish nightdive/otherside studio buy Deus Ex IP. that series will far from the wrath of square enix...

I agree about ID software storytelling. valve were inspired by ID software who were in this business long before valve. but valve change the shape of FPS genre.

and i dont buy for a second there was RPG half life 3 was in development. just another fake rumors. episode 3 was in development at some point but they scrapped it and make portal 2 instead the last valve game.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#18 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

No. It's like if Nintendo sold Metroid.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ghosts4ever

@nintendoboy16 said:

nintendo still make games (same ol rehash but still)

valve has not made game since 2011 and that was forced to make one. infact last full feldge SP game by valve was half life 2 which is 20 years ago.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Cloud_imperium

@ghosts4ever said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

what about ID software?

I wish nightdive/otherside studio buy Deus Ex IP. that series will far from the wrath of square enix...

I agree about ID software storytelling. valve were inspired by ID software who were in this business long before valve. but valve change the shape of FPS genre.

and i dont buy for a second there was RPG half life 3 was in development. just another fake rumors. episode 3 was in development at some point but they scrapped it and make portal 2 instead the last valve game.

Those weren't fake rumors. The files were found inside other Valve games. You can google it and look at those files yourself. Now I'm not saying that those RPG elements would've ended up in the final build but it's something that they were playing with during prototype stage.

Episode 3 was scrapped after Episode 2 because Valve was experimenting with Episodic format and according to them it failed. In the end of 2012 Valve said that they are working on new Engine and "Development on Ricochet 2 (Half Life 3) has begun". You can watch that video on youtube. In 2013's first Jira Leak, Half Life 3 was spotted and it had team of over 40 people who were working on it.

In second leak the team was larger and it seemed like that development is progressing as it should. Unfortunately, a year or so later, the crew that was working on HL3 was assigned to Dota 2, Team Fortress 2 and other projects. Other people left the studio. Valve must've internally canceled the project. You can look at Jira Leaks if you search for it on google and it'll show you names of people who were working on it.

Episode 4 and 5 were in development by Junction Point (Warren Spector's Studio) and Arkane Studios (Harvey Smith's team). Those projects were also scrapped after failed episodic experiment. You can watch screenshots of Episode 4 on google as well and read Warren Spector's comments on reddit.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

If Valve will sell Half Life to someone it'll never feel the touch of Valve developers - it won't be the same, just enjoy nostalgia and maybe you'll enjoy a new game - but expect nothing - that's the rule :P

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ghosts4ever

@Cloud_imperium said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

what about ID software?

Those weren't fake rumors. The files were found inside other Valve games. You can google it and look at those files yourself. Now I'm not saying that those RPG elements would've ended up in the final build but it's something that they were playing with during prototype stage.

Episode 3 was scrapped after Episode 2 because Valve was experimenting with Episodic format and according to them it failed. In the end of 2012 Valve said that they are working on new Engine and "Development on Ricochet 2 (Half Life 3) has begun". You can watch that video on youtube. In 2013's first Jira Leak, Half Life 3 was spotted and it had team of over 40 people who were working on it.

In second leak the team was larger and it seemed like that development is progressing as it should. Unfortunately, a year or so later, the crew that was working on HL3 was assigned to Dota 2, Team Fortress 2 and other projects. Other people left the studio. Valve must've internally canceled the project. You can look at Jira Leaks if you search for it on google and it'll show you names of people who were working on it.

Episode 4 and 5 were in development by Junction Point (Warren Spector's Studio) and Arkane Studios (Harvey Smith's team). Those projects were also scrapped after failed episodic experiment. You can watch screenshots of Episode 4 on google as well and read Warren Spector's comments on reddit.

It either should have been ended as Half life 2 or continue the story from EP2 because they sholdnot left cliffhanger. i mean HL2 has great ending. if they dont want another game. no need to ruined that ending.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Cloud_imperium

@ghosts4ever said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@ghosts4ever said:

It either should have been ended as Half life 2 or continue the story from EP2 because they sholdnot left cliffhanger. i mean HL2 has great ending. if they dont want another game. no need to ruined that ending.

It's just like 24 series which ended the series well at Season 8 but then brought back the show after 5 years in 2014 only to end it at cliffhangar.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58952 Posts

Leaving it to stagnate will help heighten the perception of greatness and importance, pissing off people calling it overrated even more.

Which is great.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

Why should there be a Half Life 3?

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

@ghosts4ever: portal 2 is single player.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

it'd be cheaper for another publisher/studio to just make a spiritual successor, besides I'm not invested in the series enough to care whether they continue with it or not

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

and by someone else I mean some respected PC oriented developer and not shallow console developer.

so my dear friends, lets talk about it. since we all know Valve will never make any other game in future, neither Half life 3 will ever coming out. do you think valve should sold Half life IP? I hope so. selling Half life IP is only closest thing we will see for a series to continue.

Look at System shock IP. it has been in the hand of EA, as a result dead space was suppose to be System shock 3 but planned change and made it third person horror. and when they sold it, they sold it to night dive studio. who let old looking glass stuido to make System shock 3.

I think valve should sell half life too. valve will never make any game because lot of senior talent worked as game developers left. level designer left, lead writer of Half life series quit. its no longer game development company but digital distribution company.

what do you think?

Discuss

Are you crazy ? I wouldnt trust anyone else for HL let alone Counter Strike .

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

I think a developer like Machine Games would do it justice... they definitely did a fine job with a much loved franchise in Wolfenstein, in creating a proper SP experience.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ghosts4ever

@hrt_rulz01 said:

I think a developer like Machine Games would do it justice... they definitely did a fine job with a much loved franchise in Wolfenstein, in creating a proper SP experience.

no please no. wolfenstien new order is abysmal game.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By uninspiredcup

Walking around with a tray of coffee pinnacle of FPS.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Uh, no it's not... its actually very good.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Valve likes to just sit on things and do the absolute minimum while riding the Cash Train that is steam.

CS Skins, TF2 competitive, etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#34 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

My secret opinion is that HL3 will see the light of day as some kind of crowdfunded thing approved by valve.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

I think Valve should license the game out to someone like Obsidian, maybe make it into a RPG semi open world style game (open areas + mission areas).

It's quite clear Valve has zero intention of continuing the series at this point.

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By GhostHawk196
Member since 2012 • 1337 Posts

Valve, the company with that fat guy ceo? Always thought they were the most overrated company, they got lucky with half life 2, gotten a whole bunch of deluded lunatics together with counter strike and created a community of losers with dota 2

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I'd rather just wait for VALVe to release whatever they are currently working on.

I'm patient enough.

Shawty_Beatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Shawty_Beatz
Member since 2014 • 1269 Posts

@SOedipus said:

Yeah, they should sell it to Activision or EA.

I'm more leaning to Activision. EA has made garbage single player experiences. Let Activigods do the SP and Electronic Gods do the MP.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

No, why should they? It's something they can keep in their back pocket when they absolutely need it. Don't be an idiot.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#40  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

Yes because they suck at making games.

Rovelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 Rovelius
Member since 2006 • 3252 Posts

"shallow console developer."

Stopped reading there.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Yes, absolutely. They should sell the IP to EA. It's only right.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#43 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@davillain- said:

Never ever let Valve sell Half-Life rights to anyone else cause someone else will just fucked it up bad.

I agree. Sometimes in life the best you can get is something you love NOT being ruined. So we wont get more Half Life. I'd rather it be of E.T. the movie status (Spielberg wouldn't sell the rights because he felt more would lessen it) than have it watered down.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

I think all these companies that's just sitting a IP's that everyone has been asking for over and over again should just sell them off to another company to make it. What's the point of having the Half Life brand just waste away in limbo....makes no sense to me.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DaVillain  Moderator

@cainetao11 said:
@davillain- said:

I agree. Sometimes in life the best you can get is something you love NOT being ruined. So we wont get more Half Life. I'd rather it be of E.T. the movie status (Spielberg wouldn't sell the rights because he felt more would lessen it) than have it watered down.

I wanna say this also applies to George Locus when he sold Star Wars rights and now, we see Disney is just gonna turn it into a cash cow.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#46 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@davillain-: Disney is, no doubt. But the Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones; the casting of Anakin across all three, mediclorians, Jar head Binx all tainted Star Wars already. At least Awakens brought some respect back to it.

Rare is the great entertainment that is left to stand great for all time. Human's obsession with profit ruins most.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

weren't Arkane working on HL2: Ep3 at one point?

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

nintendo still make games (same ol rehash but still)

valve has not made game since 2011 and that was forced to make one. infact last full feldge SP game by valve was half life 2 which is 20 years ago.

Half Life 2 was 12 years ago, btw. Portal 2 was a full fledged single player game released in 2011.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

I was hoping they were developing it with VR in mind first and foremost (with the option to play without).

VR needs a game of that scope to show it off, and how better than VALVE?

maybe its still the case, but currently I am very disappointing in VALVE... seems everything they dabble in at the moment falls flat. (Steam Machines/Controller, VR .... no new franchises.)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 uninspiredcup

@MBirdy88 said:

I was hoping they were developing it with VR in mind first and foremost (with the option to play without).

VR needs a game of that scope to show it off, and how better than VALVE?

maybe its still the case, but currently I am very disappointing in VALVE... seems everything they dabble in at the moment falls flat. (Steam Machines/Controller, VR .... no new franchises.)

Bemused as to how the steam controller is a failure. It's designed as a highly configurable controller that can operate on practically any pc game - designed for control pad or not, in this regard it seems not only successful but innovative.