Rockstar-Disc swapping is hassle free with LA Noire

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RoboThreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 RoboThreat
Member since 2008 • 439 Posts

L.A. Noire is gonna be such a fantastic game.

1stPlaceWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202 1stPlaceWinner
Member since 2010 • 1120 Posts

[QUOTE="1stPlaceWinner"]

[QUOTE="racing1750"] No, most of us couldn't give a dam. It's simply cows wanting some ammo on lems, and it's hilarious! ME2 was on 2 discs and a simple swap and you're going again...and let's not forget toilet breaks are included when playing video games, so it's the same thing.GreySeal9

Its okay if some people dont care, but some do and not all of them are cows, its a silly generalization.

All them are lazy though.

Again generalizations, they could just be annoyed with switching discs, the person could go to the gym all the time for all you know.

1stPlaceWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 1stPlaceWinner

[QUOTE="1stPlaceWinner"]

[QUOTE="racing1750"] No, most of us couldn't give a dam. It's simply cows wanting some ammo on lems, and it's hilarious! ME2 was on 2 discs and a simple swap and you're going again...and let's not forget toilet breaks are included when playing video games, so it's the same thing.racing1750

Its okay if some people dont care, but some do and not all of them are cows, its a silly generalization.

Of course it's not al cows, but in general nobody is really getting worked up over it.

That doesnt mean the people who are annoyed with it or think its a hassle are in the wrong, or lazy, or cows.

Avatar image for WithoutGraceXII
WithoutGraceXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#204 WithoutGraceXII
Member since 2007 • 1797 Posts
I guess all the people super worried about disc swapping breaking the flow and immersion of the game plan to beat the game in one sitting? Because getting up and taking a break, or going to work, or going to sleep, definitely interrupts the game more than the couple seconds it takes to switch discs.
daledoback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 daledoback
Member since 2011 • 148 Posts
I LOVE how this thread keeps going. Why doesnt somebody start a thread about mandatory installs because the Blu-ray drive in the PS3 is too slow which, ironically takes a1000x more time than it does to change swap discs. Cows are really desperate as seen by this thread and it's actually embarrassing for PS3 owners.

Edit: I realized I have some typos but instead of fixing them I will just say inb4 "what's embarrassing is your grammar/typing, etc". because thats the best they can do is personal insults because they even know they have no argument.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#206 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

This, I don't play a 20-30 hour game in one go so immersion is going to be broke at some time, disc swapping or not. And lower rating for swapping a disc every ten hours lol.

True_Chaos_UK

What? You mean... you honestly don't play a game like this one one fell swoop!? You mean you're probably going to disk change twice in an entire week's span (depending how long it takes you to complete the game)? Man, the inconvenience of disk swapping twice for an entire week is just awful. I only play one game each week so I never disk swap on consoles. Oh wait...

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#207 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

[QUOTE="True_Chaos_UK"]

This, I don't play a 20-30 hour game in one go so immersion is going to be broke at some time, disc swapping or not. And lower rating for swapping a disc every ten hours lol.

Stevo_the_gamer

What? You mean... you honestly don't play a game like this one one fell swoop!? You mean you're probably going to disk change twice in an entire week's span (depending how long it takes you to complete the game)? Man, the inconvenience of disk swapping twice for an entire week is just awful. I only play one game each week so I never disk swap on consoles. Oh wait...

It's amazing what a little perspective can do for you... and how readily certain fanboys seem to forget such things.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#208 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

This thread is still going? :shock:

Seriously? Disc swapping has become the great fanboy debate? God, System Wars, I am disapoint. I mean, I know it's summer and no one has anything to play but come on.

DireOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 DireOwl
Member since 2007 • 3352 Posts

If you ask me mandatory installs are a much bigger pain then switching a disk every 12 hours. 10 minute install versus 30 second disk switch. Seems pretty clear to me which is more "inconvenient".

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 The_Game21x

Seriously? Disc swapping has become the great fanboy debate? God, System Wars, I am disapoint. I mean, I know it's summer and no one has anything to play but come on.

DarkLink77

I know, right? Really? This is what we debate for pages and pages and pages? Really?

PA_DUTCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 PA_DUTCH
Member since 2008 • 908 Posts

25 years and we are still swapping disks. at least were not turning over to side B

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#212 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

The_Game21x

I know, right? Really? This is what we debate for pages and pages and pages? Really?

I'll be honest, it kind of makes me yearn for a graphics thread. At least those have a point to them, however minuscule it is.
Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

If you ask me mandatory installs are a much bigger pain then switching a disk every 12 hours. 10 minute install versus 30 second disk switch. Seems pretty clear to me which is more "inconvenient".

DireOwl

It's funny how people love to bring up mandatory installs when discussing disc switching yet only 2 out of the five multiplats that come in multiple discs for the 360 required a mandatory install on the PS3, Mass Effect 2 and Star Ocean 4. Two games that were developed primarily for the 360 unlike LA Noire which was developed primarily for the PS3, just like FF13. A mandatory install for the PS3 hasn't been confirmed yet so don't go proclaiming ownage yet, ladies. :)

DireOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 DireOwl
Member since 2007 • 3352 Posts

[QUOTE="DireOwl"]

Rockman999

It's funny how people love to bring up mandatory installs when discussing disc switching yet only 2 out of the five multiplats that come in multiple discs for the 360 required a mandatory install on the PS3, Mass Effect 2 and Star Ocean 4. Two games that were developed primarily for the 360 unlike LA Noire which was developed primarily for the PS3, just like FF13. A mandatory install for the PS3 hasn't been confirmed yet so don't go proclaiming ownage yet, ladies. :)

Well there are a lot of people claiming the PS3 is better because you don't have to switch disks in their games. I was pointing out that the PS3 also has some "inconvenient" traits with some of it's games as well.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 The_Game21x

[QUOTE="Rockman999"]

[QUOTE="DireOwl"]

DireOwl

Well there are a lot of people claiming the PS3 is better because you don't have to switch disks in their games. I was pointing out that the PS3 also has some "inconvenient" traits with some of it's games as well.

I dunno man, you at least get to sit down during those 10 minute installs. When you have to swap a disc, you have to get up for 30 seconds or so (for me about 10). Who wants to do all that moving? :P

Deadbeatcobra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 Deadbeatcobra
Member since 2006 • 1913 Posts

[QUOTE="DireOwl"]

[QUOTE="Rockman999"]It's funny how people love to bring up mandatory installs when discussing disc switching yet only 2 out of the five multiplats that come in multiple discs for the 360 required a mandatory install on the PS3, Mass Effect 2 and Star Ocean 4. Two games that were developed primarily for the 360 unlike LA Noire which was developed primarily for the PS3, just like FF13. A mandatory install for the PS3 hasn't been confirmed yet so don't go proclaiming ownage yet, ladies. :)

The_Game21x

I dunno man, you at least get to sit down during those 10 minute installs. When you have to swap a disc, you have to get up for 30 seconds or so (for me about 10). Who wants to do all that moving? :P

so PS3 players dont get up for bathroom breaks? gezz talk about lazyness....

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 The_Game21x

[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

[QUOTE="DireOwl"]

Deadbeatcobra

Of course not, silly! That's what catheters and bed pans are for! :wink:
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

[QUOTE="DireOwl"]

Deadbeatcobra

The Cell takes care of that.
gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

The_Game21x

I think what makes it worse, is theres a thread about this every single time its announced a game requires more than 1 disc, and they allways end the same

gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

[QUOTE="DireOwl"]

Deadbeatcobra

well they made the rule that once the game starts you are not allowed by law to get up at any point during the game, which means once they instert disc they are not allowed to puase the game, use the washroom, get food, or even take a break

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#221 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

so just another reason to add why i hate xbox360 , if one of those disc crack id have to buy the whole set again no thanks if i get this ill get the ps3 version

mariokart64fan

I'll admit, that right there is downside of having multiple discs to a game, not the "having to switch it out" nonsense. I remember having to hunt down a new copy of FFVII years ago because the second disc was to damage and would completely freeze at a certain section. :P

I preordered L.A. Noire for the 360, but now I'm thinking of switching it to the PS3 version since it's suppose to have exclusive content.

Deadbeatcobra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 Deadbeatcobra
Member since 2006 • 1913 Posts

[QUOTE="Deadbeatcobra"]

[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

The_Game21x

dude I had to look up catheters and that ruined my taco... :(

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 The_Game21x

[QUOTE="The_Game21x"][QUOTE="Deadbeatcobra"] so PS3 players dont get up for bathroom breaks? gezz talk about lazyness....

Deadbeatcobra

dude I had to look up catheters and that ruined my taco... :(

My apologies sir! :(
EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#224 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

so just another reason to add why i hate xbox360 , if one of those disc crack id have to buy the whole set again no thanks if i get this ill get the ps3 version

Lionheart08

I'll admit, that right there is downside of having multiple discs to a game, not the "having to switch it out" nonsense. I remember having to hunt down a new copy of FFVII years ago because the second disc was to damage and would completely freeze at a certain section. :P

I preordered L.A. Noire for the 360, but now I'm thinking of switching it to the PS3 version since it's suppose to have exclusive content.

The exclusive content is an extra case called "Consul's Car Traffic Case"

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#225 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

[QUOTE="coasterguy65"]

I'm not getting the game anyway so it really doesn't effect me. However I do have some comments to add because this topic seems to get thread after thread whenever a multiple disc game comes out.

First.....If Rockstar was really trying to make the whole process hassle free they would allow the game to work lke Forza 3. Install all 3 discs and just play off of the first one. Like PC games have been doing for years.

Second....The whole disc swapping argument is of course stupid to everyone except for Cows who seem to think it gives them some kind of ownership. How many times are you going to get up off the couch over a period of a 20 some hour game anyway? So get up, stretch, swap the disc, and get a drink or something. You should take a break from your game every so many hours anyway.

Third...Most people would take a 10 second disc swap two times in a game over a 30 minute mandatory install any day. I know I would.

Martin_G_N

The problem with installing, is that developers can't force installs because the X360 does'nt have a built in HDD. With Forza 3 you did'nt need the second disc to play the game, but it's a bit different with LA Noire. Had MS thought ahead when they made the X360, they would have had a built in HDD at launch, then this would'nt be an issue.

I agree with you, but I don't think it was a matter of thinking ahead. I'm not sure what MS was thinking especially when you consider the original Xbox had a standard HDD (probably pure greed). The 360 should have had a standard HDD for sure. Especially the newer models.

Back on topic. Rockstar still could have offered the option to install all 3 discs and play with disc one in the drive for verification, for people that have a big enough HDD to install all 3 discs. If more of the multiple disc games for the 360 were like this it might encourage people to upgrade their hard drives for this feature.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

This thread will have at least 70 pages :D

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

*** most gamers will switch to a different game before playing LA noire start to finish due to its massive length, then returnafter playing another game for a bit***

Exampls... gamer puts LA noire disc in console, plays 8 hours straight, friends wanna play MK9, swiches disc... plays MK9, then swaps disc back to LA noire and continues. Because of this pattern which is VERY common, disc swapping on the 360 is no more a hassle than a single disc on the PS3.

After_Math

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 After_Math
Member since 2007 • 975 Posts

This thread will have at least 70 pages :D

Zensword
Yep. Cow's will continue to troll, "Wow, Disc Change, the 360 version is teh inferior" "Disc Change?!?! LOLZ is this the 1970's!?" "Lolz, I'd rather have 20 minute installs and make a sandwich than get up and switch a disc lol lol lol!" Lemmings will feel the need to explain logic, such as usually if a person wants to play a game they HAVE TO GET UP AND PUT A DISC IN, or they will will troll about PSN being down.
Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 Captainqwark10
Member since 2011 • 1170 Posts
[QUOTE="Solquid_Snake"]

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"][QUOTE="Solquid_Snake"]

Why should I when:

1. I get exclusive content.

2. I get exclusive games.

3. All of my games are on 1, scratch-resistant disc.

So that's a no. Bashing something you don't own. ;) Interesting.

Again, why should I own it when it offers nothing that I listed?

It offers online play.
Sp4rtan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 Sp4rtan_3
Member since 2010 • 3495 Posts
This thread is still going :lol: ? Who knew disk swapping was such a controversial issue.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#231 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="1stPlaceWinner"]Its okay if some people dont care, but some do and not all of them are cows, its a silly generalization.

1stPlaceWinner

Again generalizations, they could just be annoyed with switching discs, the person could go to the gym all the time for all you know.

LOL, that's even worse. If someone is annoyed by something so trivial, then they've got serious issues.

1stPlaceWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 1stPlaceWinner

[QUOTE="1stPlaceWinner"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

LOL, that's even worse. If someone is annoyed by something so trivial, then they've got serious issues.

I don't agree, I fully understand why someone would get annoyed if they were into a game but then an "insert disc 2" message popped on the screen. And then a second time for the third disc.
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
[QUOTE="1stPlaceWinner"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="1stPlaceWinner"]Again generalizations, they could just be annoyed with switching discs, the person could go to the gym all the time for all you know.

I don't agree, I fully understand why someone would get annoyed if they were into a game but then an "insert disc 2" message popped on the screen. And then a second time for the third disc.

Its almost as annoying as having to swap the disc to another game to play that other game...
1stPlaceWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 1stPlaceWinner

Phazevariance

Its almost as annoying as having to swap the disc to another game to play that other game...

I dont hear people complaining about that as much as multiple disc games so no.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="1stPlaceWinner"]Again generalizations, they could just be annoyed with switching discs, the person could go to the gym all the time for all you know.

1stPlaceWinner

Why in the world would that be annoying? Just change the damn disc. There is literally no reason for annoyance.

If somebody gets annoyed about such little things, they are going to risk their health.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="Phazevariance"][QUOTE="1stPlaceWinner"] I don't agree, I fully understand why someone would get annoyed if they were into a game but then an "insert disc 2" message popped on the screen. And then a second time for the third disc.1stPlaceWinner

Swapping a disc is swapping a disc.

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#237 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
[QUOTE="kaealy"]

I'll rather switch discs then not having online capabilities.

1stPlaceWinner
Man so many people in this thread keep trying to derail the 3 discs unsuccessfully lol.

It has been derailed with the mandatory install.. The PS3 owner will spend more time waiting than the 360 user. :?
Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 3040 Posts

1stPlaceWinner

But the funny thing is most people here that complain about swapping discs don't even own a 360!!

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

[QUOTE="Snugenz"]

>Incredibly lazy

>Pampered

Because if getting up and switching discs 2 times during a 20hr+ game is too big of a hassle its the only conclusion i can come to.

God i'd hate to see some of you people back when TV remotes were a rarity, having to get up to switch channels, teh horror !!.

Some-Mist

even though you have a choice now, to get up and change the channel or use the remote, you still get up and change the channel anyways?

When i have to get up to switch channels i dont **** and moan about it.

1stPlaceWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 1stPlaceWinner

GreySeal9

Why in the world would that be annoying? Just change the damn disc. There is literally no reason for annoyance.

If somebody gets annoyed about such little things, they are going to risk their health.

There's no reason for an annoyance? Not really I just explained why someone in fact would find it annoying. Your feelings isnt the same as everyone else. Why do you expect everyone to feel the same way you do.

1stPlaceWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 1stPlaceWinner

[QUOTE="1stPlaceWinner"]

[QUOTE="Phazevariance"] Its almost as annoying as having to swap the disc to another game to play that other game...GreySeal9

Different situations though.

1stPlaceWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 1stPlaceWinner

[QUOTE="1stPlaceWinner"][QUOTE="kaealy"]

xsubtownerx

Man so many people in this thread keep trying to derail the 3 discs unsuccessfully lol.

It has been derailed with the mandatory install.. The PS3 owner will spend more time waiting than the 360 user. :?

It hasn't been derailed we are still talking about disc swapping right now. People tried to make it about installs, didn't work.

1stPlaceWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 1stPlaceWinner

[QUOTE="1stPlaceWinner"] I dont hear people complaining about that as much as multiple disc games so no.

Duckyindiana

But the funny thing is most people here that complain about swapping discs don't even own a 360!!

I'm sure some do though.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

How can disc swapping NOT be a hassle. It totally breaks immersion which is what LA Noire is desperately trying to do. Im guessing lower ratings on the 360 versio for this reason

seanmcloughlin

And just how does that mandatory level/chapter install enhance the immersion? ;)

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="1stPlaceWinner"] I don't agree, I fully understand why someone would get annoyed if they were into a game but then an "insert disc 2" message popped on the screen. And then a second time for the third disc.1stPlaceWinner

There's no reason for an annoyance? Not really I just explained why someone in fact would find it annoying. Your feelings isnt the same as everyone else. Why do you expect everyone to feel the same way you do.

It's not that I expect everyone to feel the way I do. It's that how I feel is normal and how they feel is abormal. Switching a disc takes minimal time and minimal effort and simply isn't something a normal person should get annoyed about. Getting annoyed about those kind of things indicates that person might have some kind of underlying issue.

You didn't really give any good reason for why someone should get annoyed simply because they have to switch a disc. You simply stated that you understand why they would get annoyed.

catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts

[QUOTE="1stPlaceWinner"][QUOTE="kaealy"]

xsubtownerx

I'm not speaking for any person but myself, but I install all my disc-based 360 games because the disc drive is so loud. Kind of makes the point null for me.

If the disc drive on my console weren't so loud, I'd definitely feel the same as you though.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="1stPlaceWinner"] I dont hear people complaining about that as much as multiple disc games so no.

1stPlaceWinner

I see about as much reason to complain about one situation as the other, which is to say, none. But yeah, they are different situations, but I don't find that the differences warrant annoyance in the case of multiple discs.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#248 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
I wish they could just go the way of forza and give players the option to install the other discs and just play from disc 1.
Golden_Boy187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 Golden_Boy187
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

Sounds good to me Plus xbox live will be up and running.

1stPlaceWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 1stPlaceWinner

[QUOTE="1stPlaceWinner"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

I see about as much reason to complain about one situation as the other, which is to say, none. But yeah, they are different situations, but I don't find that the differences warrant annoyance in the case of multiple discs.

I think it's simple, the multiple disc situation is un common, something people don't deal with regularly especially on PC and PS3 and when it shows up it annoys people.