Rockstar-Disc swapping is hassle free with LA Noire

This topic is locked from further discussion.

True_Chaos_UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 True_Chaos_UK
Member since 2010 • 2570 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

How can disc swapping NOT be a hassle. It totally breaks immersion which is what LA Noire is desperately trying to do. Im guessing lower ratings on the 360 versio for this reason

Duckyindiana

Really, so pausing the game and getting a drink or visiting the loo breaks immersion as well, stopping the game part way through and going out or off to work does but no one complains about it. But hey spend 10 secs swapping a disc and its the end of the world!!

This, I don't play a 20-30 hour game in one go so immersion is going to be broke at some time, disc swapping or not. And lower rating for swapping a disc every ten hours lol.

radoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 radoman
Member since 2008 • 297 Posts

Its a hassle in the same way getting up to put a different game in is. Nobody cares!. Good job rockstar, im glad they decided to span 3 disks, no downsampled fmv hampering my experience.

I bet it sell more on 360 too regardless of multiple discs.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#153 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44638 Posts
that last thread talking about this I don't think anybody read the article, because I did, the article said it's on three discs but will only require swapping the disc out twice anyhow, what Rockstar should really do is allow Xbox 360 gamers to install all 3 discs on their HDD, and find a way to eliminate the installation of any redundant info off the separate disc installs as there will likely be a lot so they can save a lot of space, and make a way to play it off one disc, and just limit the install play to just needing the 1st disc so that people cannot install it on their friends HDDs and play with the 2nd and 3rd discs
kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

I'll rather switch discs then not having online capabilities.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#155 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

kaealy
Because we all know PSN will *never* be back, amirite?
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#156 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61524 Posts

kaealy

True that, I mean L.A. Noire needs those capabilities... Oh wait.

gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

[QUOTE="kaealy"]

Heil68

Because we all know PSN will *never* be back, amirite?

better hope not soon, there are rumors that they are planning another large attack once PSN is back online

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#158 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

I have no problem with standing up and switching discs. My main problem with multi disc games is if you lose one of the discs. That pisses me off to no end. If its a single disc game and I lose the disc, fair enough, Its gone...its done. Time to buy a new one. Its as if the game had broken. But in a multi-disc game, I cant bring myself to pay full price for 1/3 of the product. I know its no biggie, but I remember playing Parasite Eve and I couldnt find the last fraking disc for the longest time. When I finally did find it, I got to the last boss and it crashed cause the disc was scratched! >.< I nearly commited suicide. For that reason alone, I have never beaten Parasite Eve. Stopped right at the last freaking boss because I cant bring myself to rebuy the whole entire game just for 1 disc. Now maybe if they had a set up where u can buy each disc for 1/3 the price, then yeah, i can dig that.

1stPlaceWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 1stPlaceWinner
Member since 2010 • 1120 Posts

kaealy
Man so many people in this thread keep trying to derail the 3 discs unsuccessfully lol.
gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

[QUOTE="kaealy"]

1stPlaceWinner

Man so many people in this thread keep trying to derail the 3 discs unsuccessfully lol.

the only people who have a problem with this are Cows, and we don't need a topic of swapping discs EVERY SINGLE TIME a game that has more than 1 disc is announced. how many times do we have to tell you that we do not care

1stPlaceWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 1stPlaceWinner

[QUOTE="1stPlaceWinner"][QUOTE="kaealy"]

gamer-adam1

the only people who have a problem with this are Cows, and we don't need a topic of swapping discs EVERY SINGLE TIME a game that has more than 1 disc is announced. how many times do we have to tell you that we do not care

That's just not true, just a generalization, some people just dont like switching discs, if you dont care i dont see the need to be in a thread about it.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

I have no problem with standing up and switching discs. My main problem with multi disc games is if you lose one of the discs. That pisses me off to no end. If its a single disc game and I lose the disc, fair enough, Its gone...its done. Time to buy a new one. Its as if the game had broken. But in a multi-disc game, I cant bring myself to pay full price for 1/3 of the product. I know its no biggie, but I remember playing Parasite Eve and I couldnt find the last fraking disc for the longest time. When I finally did find it, I got to the last boss and it crashed cause the disc was scratched! >.< I nearly commited suicide. For that reason alone, I have never beaten Parasite Eve. Stopped right at the last freaking boss because I cant bring myself to rebuy the whole entire game just for 1 disc. Now maybe if they had a set up where u can buy each disc for 1/3 the price, then yeah, i can dig that.

II_Seraphim_II

If you lose the disc of a single disc game you're also buggered ... so eh, dont lose any discs.

John_Read

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 John_Read
Member since 2009 • 1214 Posts

[QUOTE="gamer-adam1"]

[QUOTE="1stPlaceWinner"] Man so many people in this thread keep trying to derail the 3 discs unsuccessfully lol.1stPlaceWinner

That's just not true, just a generalization, some people just dont like switching discs, if you dont care i dont see the need to be in a thread about it.

then how they play different games :P
1stPlaceWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 1stPlaceWinner
[QUOTE="1stPlaceWinner"]

[QUOTE="gamer-adam1"]

John_Read

then how they play different games :P

having different games and having multiple discs for the same game is kind of different
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#166 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
Remember at the start of the gen when disc-swapping was going to be the bane of xbox owners lives, and every game would come on five+ discs? :lol:
drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#167 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts
It's beyond pathetic that people are complaining about something that barely takes half a minute to do.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts
It's beyond pathetic that people are complaining about something that barely takes half a minute to do.drinkerofjuice
true, but it was when i was playing lost odyssey that i realize that i really really hate multiple discs, I don't know why but when i see the "please insert disc 2" screen and I have to disc swap its pretty lame, now its not a hassle but just a little little little annoyance to me. I rather have the game on one CD also since 360 discs aren't durable and stronger then blu rays "i take care of my games" but if something was to happen to one of the cd's then i'm screwed and can't finish the game. So yeah you guys complaining about this is pretty funny considering its not a big deal and you will live. but 1 disc > 3 discs.
ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#169 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

Wow, a nine page thread over something so trivial? Just to put things into perspective, it takes longer to pause your game, take a bathroom break and grab something to drink than it does to simply pop out one disk and pop in another. We all do this, do we not? While one disk is obviously preferable, those who play it on the 360 only have to do this twice during the entire game, which is massive. Hardly a deal breaker for those who are going to play it on the 360, lol. At least I hope not.

daledoback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 daledoback
Member since 2011 • 148 Posts
That's good to know that the version that will sell the most isn't a pain to deal with.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#171 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Getting up and swapping disk interrupts the flow of the game. He is just like any other dev. He will say anything to get their game sold.

AmazonTreeBoa

This doesn't even slightly make sense.

R* said that you disc swap in-between cases, and if disc swapping breaks up the flow of the game, so does turning it off to play later or taking a bathroom break.

standarddamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#172 standarddamage
Member since 2006 • 1143 Posts

It's beyond pathetic that people are complaining about something that barely takes half a minute to do.drinkerofjuice

That's the whole point: No one's really complaining. It's just a small herd of cows trying to claim ownage over a very trivial thing.

What cracks me up is that they could claim some ownage over the fact that PS3 gets extra content and was the lead platform if they really felt the need, so why they keep banging the disc-swapping drum is beyond me.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 GreySeal9

Wow, a nine page thread over something so trivial? Just to put things into perspective, it takes longer to pause your game, take a bathroom break and grab something to drink than it does to simply pop out one disk and pop in another. We all do this, do we not? While one disk is obviously preferable, those who play it on the 360 only have to do this twice during the entire game, which is massive. Hardly a deal breaker for those who are going to play it on the 360, lol. At least I hope not.

ironcreed

Pretty much. Anybody who thinks this is an issue is either a) lazy b) just trying to make this a bigger deal than it is for obvious reasons.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 GreySeal9

>disc swapping

>hassle free

Does not compute.

psn8214

Exactly how is changing a disc two times over the course of several hours a hassle? :?

I swear, some of you need to learn what an actual hassle is for perspective.

TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 TreyoftheDead
Member since 2007 • 7982 Posts

Something I will say, I hope each disc has a part of the case to be placed in. I hated how Lost Odyssey had those stupid envelopes for the extra discs.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="gamer-adam1"]

[QUOTE="1stPlaceWinner"] Man so many people in this thread keep trying to derail the 3 discs unsuccessfully lol.1stPlaceWinner

Yet it seems that pretty much everyone ITT that think it's a big deal and either cows or PS3 sympathizers. Hmmmmm.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4867 Posts
So, which is a bigger hassle, disc swapping or mandatory installs? For me, its installs. They often take 10 minutes when I'm really excited to play, whereas disc swapping takes 20 seconds.
racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"][QUOTE="Solquid_Snake"]

Lemmings enjoy disc swapping, what else can I say?

Oh yeah, they also like getting less content.

Solquid_Snake

Again, do you have a 360?

Why should I when:

1. I get exclusive content.

2. I get exclusive games.

3. All of my games are on 1, scratch-resistant disc.

Sucks to be you. I like having multiple consoles having access to all the best games this gen when you stay loyal to a single company :roll:
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
Of course isn't gonna be a hassle. Why would it? :question: If things like that were actually perceived as a hassle, gaming would have died a long time ago because of how much of a "hassle" it is.
racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 racing1750

[QUOTE="gamer-adam1"]

No, most of us couldn't give a dam. It's simply cows wanting some ammo on lems, and it's hilarious! ME2 was on 2 discs and a simple swap and you're going again...and let's not forget toilet breaks are included when playing video games, so it's the same thing.
racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 racing1750
[QUOTE="IronBass"]Of course isn't gonna be a hassle. Why would it? :question: If things like that were actually perceived as a hassle, gaming would have died a long time ago because of how much of a "hassle" it is.

lol, exactly. I've been wondering what the big fuss is over something so simple and quick.
daledoback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 daledoback
Member since 2011 • 148 Posts

[QUOTE="ironcreed"]

GreySeal9

Pretty much. Anybody who thinks this is an issue is either a) lazy b) just trying to make this a bigger deal than it is for obvious reasons.

Of course, the cows are reaching for ANYTHING to deter people from talking about how PSN is a trainwreck.
coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#183 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

I'm not getting the game anyway so it really doesn't effect me. However I do have some comments to add because this topic seems to get thread after thread whenever a multiple disc game comes out.

First.....If Rockstar was really trying to make the whole process hassle free they would allow the game to work lke Forza 3. Install all 3 discs and just play off of the first one. Like PC games have been doing for years.

Second....The whole disc swapping argument is of course stupid to everyone except for Cows who seem to think it gives them some kind of ownership. How many times are you going to get up off the couch over a period of a 20 some hour game anyway? So get up, stretch, swap the disc, and get a drink or something. You should take a break from your game every so many hours anyway.

Third...Most people would take a 10 second disc swap two times in a game over a 30 minute mandatory install any day. I know I would.

1stPlaceWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 1stPlaceWinner

[QUOTE="1stPlaceWinner"]

[QUOTE="gamer-adam1"]

racing1750

No, most of us couldn't give a dam. It's simply cows wanting some ammo on lems, and it's hilarious! ME2 was on 2 discs and a simple swap and you're going again...and let's not forget toilet breaks are included when playing video games, so it's the same thing.

Its okay if some people dont care, but some do and not all of them are cows, its a silly generalization.

racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 racing1750

[QUOTE="racing1750"][QUOTE="1stPlaceWinner"] That's just not true, just a generalization, some people just dont like switching discs, if you dont care i dont see the need to be in a thread about it.

1stPlaceWinner

Its okay if some people dont care, but some do and not all of them are cows, its a silly generalization.

Of course it's not al cows, but in general nobody is really getting worked up over it.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="racing1750"][QUOTE="1stPlaceWinner"] That's just not true, just a generalization, some people just dont like switching discs, if you dont care i dont see the need to be in a thread about it.

1stPlaceWinner

All them are lazy though.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

[QUOTE="kaealy"]

lundy86_4

True that, I mean L.A. Noire needs those capabilities... Oh wait.

The Nordic Limited Edition of the game has exclusive content that needs internet to be unlocked, I rather play what I pay for and change a disc each 10 hours or so.

Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

**** this. I haven't moved from my couch in two months I'm not about to get up and swap a disc.

Didn't know you had to be an athlete to be a gamer.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
Why should you bash something you don't own?DroidPhysX
That's the point of bashing, isn't it? Why should you own something that you bash?
Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

I'm not getting the game anyway so it really doesn't effect me. However I do have some comments to add because this topic seems to get thread after thread whenever a multiple disc game comes out.

First.....If Rockstar was really trying to make the whole process hassle free they would allow the game to work lke Forza 3. Install all 3 discs and just play off of the first one. Like PC games have been doing for years.

Second....The whole disc swapping argument is of course stupid to everyone except for Cows who seem to think it gives them some kind of ownership. How many times are you going to get up off the couch over a period of a 20 some hour game anyway? So get up, stretch, swap the disc, and get a drink or something. You should take a break from your game every so many hours anyway.

Third...Most people would take a 10 second disc swap two times in a game over a 30 minute mandatory install any day. I know I would.

coasterguy65
The problem with installing, is that developers can't force installs because the X360 does'nt have a built in HDD. With Forza 3 you did'nt need the second disc to play the game, but it's a bit different with LA Noire. Had MS thought ahead when they made the X360, they would have had a built in HDD at launch, then this would'nt be an issue.
Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#191 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

>Incredibly lazy

>Pampered

Because if getting up and switching discs 2 times during a 20hr+ game is too big of a hassle its the only conclusion i can come to.

God i'd hate to see some of you people back when TV remotes were a rarity, having to get up to switch channels, teh horror !!.

Snugenz

even though you have a choice now, to get up and change the channel or use the remote, you still get up and change the channel anyways?

[QUOTE="IronBass"]Of course isn't gonna be a hassle. Why would it? :question: If things like that were actually perceived as a hassle, gaming would have died a long time ago because of how much of a "hassle" it is.racing1750
lol, exactly. I've been wondering what the big fuss is over something so simple and quick.

it isn't a big fuss and it isn't even that big of a hassle, but you guys don't think it's easier/more convenient to just leave the disc in for the entire playthrough? Play for 30 minutes, turn the console off. Come back, turn the console on, play for 30 minutes. You never have to remove the disc and insert a new one. If I had the choice between PS3 and 360, which would be more convenient?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Had MS thought ahead when they made the X360, they would have had a built in HDD at launch, then this would'nt be an issue.Martin_G_N
Besides the fact that this isn't an issue now, putting a HDD in every 360 would have drastically changed MS SKU and pricing strategies, affecting the overall sales of the 360.
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#193 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

It won't be a hassle to most people.

People don't care about disc swapping as much as Cows would like to think they do.

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts
[QUOTE="Martin_G_N"]Had MS thought ahead when they made the X360, they would have had a built in HDD at launch, then this would'nt be an issue.IronBass
Besides the fact that this isn't an issue now, putting a HDD in every 360 would have drastically changed MS SKU and pricing strategies, affecting the overall sales of the 360.

Isn't an issue? Come on!! When Rockstar made GTA4 they had a meeting with MS about the DVD and HDD issue, because they had completely maxed the DVD, and they knew that GTA games would only get bigger. Look at the PS2, GTA3 was under 1GB, GTA SA was 3GB. Since they chose to be cheap and use DVD, they should have added a HDD. 20GB was'nt all that expencive.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Isn't an issue? Come on!! When Rockstar made GTA4 they had a meeting with MS about the DVD and HDD issue, because they had completely maxed the DVD, and they knew that GTA games would only get bigger. Look at the PS2, GTA3 was under 1GB, GTA SA was 3GB. Since they chose to be cheap and use DVD, they should have added a HDD. 20GB was'nt all that expencive.Martin_G_N
No, it isn't an issue. The vast majority of games fit in one DVD. Those (very few) that don't use one or two more. And that's it.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]

sts106mat
well fair enough, but if your careless enough to lose discs, theres no-one else to blame other than yourself IMO. just like the person who throws his controller at the wall and brakes it, its not the games fault it broke, the game may have caused him to get mad, but its his fault for losing control and allowing himself to throw the controller.

I have a lil brother....he is very careless.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#198 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61524 Posts

I DONT THINK SWAPPING DISCS IN LA NOIR ON 360 WILL BE HALF AS TROUBLESOME AND A '' HASSLE'' AS MONITORING MY CREDIT CARD THE NEXT YEAR THANKS TO ps3 AND PSN'S CRAPPY SECURITY.....NOW WILL IT.

Cows really need to find a new drum to bang this late in this generation. Because the one youve been banging has gotten incredibly old.

bryn8150

Report card lost/stolen. Proceed to not having to worry about monitoring your CC due to PSN being hacked.

lqcevox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 lqcevox
Member since 2009 • 265 Posts
Oh boy.. another 40pages disc swapping thread?
Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

Lemmings enjoy disc swapping, what else can I say?

Oh yeah, they also like getting less content.

Solquid_Snake
hehe.. so true.. :P & to be balanced.. i have to say.. just as PS3 fans enjoy not being able to get online :P