Just got announced at the Gamescom presentation.
What the hell.
EDIT: Link for those who missed the announcement.
GUYS. Square Enix has flat out confirmed this is Xbox exclusive. No timed exclusivity shenanigans.
This isnt timed guys...its an exclusive, no ps4 or PC. Go read the neogaf thread for the confirmation from the head of crystal dynamics.
Dear Tomb Raider Community,
As you may have seen, we've just announced that Rise of the Tomb Raider, coming Holiday 2015, is exclusively on Xbox. We consider all of you to be the lifeblood of Tomb Raider and the work we do at Crystal. I'd like to give you some insight into this decision, and why we feel this is the very best thing for the Tomb Raider sequel we're creating at the studio.
Tomb Raider in 2013 was a success due in large part to your continued support. Our goal has always been to deliver something truly special with Rise of the Tomb Raider. Today's announcement with Microsoft is one step to help us put Tomb Raider on top of action adventure gaming. Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and have believed in our vision since our first unveil with them on their stage at E3 2011. We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past - we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming, with the help, belief and backing of a major partner like Microsoft.
This doesn't mean that we're walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. Those are great systems, with great partners, and amazing communities. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4.
We know that there are probably many more questions and concerns. Please do send them to us, and we'll answer to the best of our ability. Meanwhile we're going all out to try and make something truly special - the most ambitious Tomb Raider game ever built.
Crystal Dynamics Head of Studios
Also, for anyone who wants a quick recap of what happened at the Microsoft conference, here's a nice primer from @Desmonic
MS Gamescom recap:
- AC Unity trailer which looked awesome;
- German dude speaking in German;
- Phil Spencer talking about Tier 2 launch + future titles (all of the announced stuff) + XB1 bundles (didn't specify yet);
- Fifa 15 - exclusive content on Fifa Ultimate Team (legends and whatnot) + XB1 Fifa 15 Bundle on September 25th (.) + "live demo" about FUT with Peter Schmeichel ;
- Chris Charla (ID@Xbox) + Montage of first to console on XB1 indies (MOTHERFUCKING GOAT SIM ON XB1!!);
- Space Engineers trailer (indie first to console on XB1indie- first to console on XB1);
- Super Hot trailer (indie- first to console on XB1);
- The Escapists (by Team17) trailer (indie- first to console on XB1);
- Smite trailer (indie- first to console on XB1);
- Below trailer + Chris leaves stage awkwardly >.> ;
- Phil back on + CoD segment (bro with the jacket did not know what to do with his hands) + EXO FOR EVERYONE!! + SP demo (with Mitchel galore!)+ CoD exclusive content + XB1 Bundle with 1TB, custom design (ugly) for 499€/$ (missed the date, but probably when the game itself launches);
- Evolve - Open Beta on XB1 first in January + exclusive content after launch + Shoutcasters (ugh...) with "live demo" + will launch in February 10th;
- Phil Harrison arrives + gonna use the word exclusive a lot + invites dude from TR studio;
- Rise of the Tomb Raider + Now with more Uncharted! ( :D ) + Holiday 2015 EXCLUSIVE ON XBOX ONE? Holy shit! MEGATON! :O (not sure if timed or full exclusive);
- Quantum Break - Sam Lake + actual live demo (looks pretty cool, jacket king once more? I think so!) though it seems fairly linear (not a bad thing for a story driven game). + time powers! :O + still no releade date ;
- Fable Legends - You can play the villain + beta starts October 16th + trailer featuring chickens;
- NEW game + Spring 2015 + Frontier studio + "" + futuristic "torture/amusement park" with crazy physics and destructible environments EXCLUSIVE;
- Forza 5 - DLC?..wut?.. okay MS. DLC for Forza 5: Formula E + Rolls Royce for free;
- Forza Horizon 2 - PR talk + trailer on social features (lol @ copying DC) + ForzaFuel (??);
- Ori and the Blind Forest - live demo (looks coo!) + XB1 and PC;
- Sunset Overdrive - Ted Price + mention of "franchise" instead of game + trailer + crazy bots! + looks like crazy fun + October 31st release + XB1 Bundle ) with SO for 399€/$;
- Halo Time - MCC includes Nightfall (I think we knew this already) and Halo 5 MP Beta (again, known stuff) + Halo Channel (?) + basically anything related to Halo will be there + available on XB1 and Windows + partnership with Twitch + you can launch and livestream the MCC from the Halo Channel + live demo + ranking system is skill based like Halo 2 + Sanctuary map demo/trailer with "pro Halo players" (lol);
- Halo 5 Beta trailer + will focus on 4v4 arena + concept art/levels shown + starts on December 29th;
- Phil Spencer back on + + pre-download confimed, starts with FH2 + that's a wrap!