Revengeance Demo sh1tting on Ninja Theory left, right, and center.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#251 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
Having played it a few more times and looking at some of the combos (the tutorial is so pointless) the only thing I hate is the parry sytem (although the target lock is weird, I'd rather not have the funky auto target at all and just have it lock on when you push the button). Having to push the direction AND the button at the same time is awkward and just leaves you standing still in the middle of combat waiting for the attack to happen (I'm talking about the stuff like the ghecko leg swipes that take a while to complete). I'd rather them have a dedicated parry button or something (does B/O do anything at the moment?) so you can do it on the fly and just have to react to the move instead of having to stand still and do this awkward movement + button press combo. I completely get what they were going for with the parry only system, it keeps the action flowing, except it doesn't when you find yourself standing there waiting to counter attacks and it's a real problem in groups of enemies where you might need to parry multiple attacks, you can find yourself just standing still doing 3 or 4 parry's in a row, which then just turns it into an annoying block button.
OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#252 OneSanitarium
Member since 2009 • 6959 Posts

[QUOTE="bobbetybob"], it keeps the action flowing, except it doesn't when you find yourself standing there waiting to counter attacks and it's a real problem in groups of enemies where you might need to parry multiple attacks/QUOTE]

If you stand there, you're nor parrying. You're block so you did it too early. A proper parry allows you to enter blade mode and instantly take their core.

Don't blame the game for something you're doing wrong.

I assume you're going to reply saying WELL Y THE GOTTA BE THE SAME COMMAND!?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#253 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts
^honestly I'd prefer it if it were its own button, but agreed it's something easy to get the hang of.
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#254 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

[QUOTE="bobbetybob"], it keeps the action flowing, except it doesn't when you find yourself standing there waiting to counter attacks and it's a real problem in groups of enemies where you might need to parry multiple attacks/QUOTE]

If you stand there, you're nor parrying. You're block so you did it too early. A proper parry allows you to enter blade mode and instantly take their core.

Don't blame the game for something you're doing wrong.

I assume you're going to reply saying WELL Y THE GOTTA BE THE SAME COMMAND!?

OneSanitarium
I know that you do a block if the timing isn't perfect and I've got the timing right and done a proper parry as well where you attack as well as block(although not gone into blade mode because I only really parry the geckos and the boss) but that doesn't stop it from being awkward as hell, I have to do perfect timing as well as push a stick and a button in the right direction, it just seems unnecessarily fiddly. And the standing there thing I was talking about before parrying, you have to prepare yourself to do the move since it uses the same analog stick you use to move around.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255 jg4xchamp

I know that you do a block if the timing isn't perfect and I've got the timing right and done a proper parry as well where you attack as well as block(although not gone into blade mode because I only really parry the geckos and the boss) but that doesn't stop it from being awkward as hell, I have to do perfect timing as well as push a stick and a button in the right direction, it just seems unnecessarily fiddly. And the standing there thing I was talking about before parrying, you have to prepare yourself to do the move since it uses the same analog stick you use to move around.bobbetybob
Game would probably feel just fine if it was LB for parrying, and they made the B button the side weapon button I guess.

That said again while you need to reposition yourself to be parry ready I think making it a delibarate motion has a purpose to it. You're not meant to just go at break neck speed and go buck wild. You're meant to be a bit more patient, and slow down a bit to get the timing right. While it's 'needless" it's not that anything that isn't intuitive or doesn't go with your natural motions with how you play the game. A quick adjustment period is needed, but after that frankly it should be smooth sailing.

Needless sure, but it's not unresponsive, and nothing in this demo would indicate that a proper button is specifically necesary so far.

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#256 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

The story is already better than Bayonetta's :lol:

Avatar image for carlisledavid79
carlisledavid79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257 carlisledavid79
Member since 2006 • 10522 Posts
It's fun chopping things up to bits. Got a tree into 186 parts.
OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258 OneSanitarium

It's fun chopping things up to bits. Got a tree into 186 parts.carlisledavid79

Yeah, well I cut several tress in to a total of 1000+ parts!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#259 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Well after playing the demo I have to say that it's one of the worst games I've played in a while.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

Well after playing the demo I have to say that it's one of the worst games I've played in a while.

Stringerboy

I can understand disliking it, but calling it one of the worst games you've ever played seems a bit ridiculous.

I didn't say it was the worst game I've ever played. i said it's the worst game I've played in a while.

Shadow4020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 Shadow4020
Member since 2007 • 2097 Posts

I just realized that there's a ninja cat on the beach that dodges your attacks:P

I must say I'm getting pretty excited for this game

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#263 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
9 slice out of ten... loove the parry system
Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

This is just so rediculously good, You feel like a real cybernetic ninja.

The animations are so damn amazing, oh platinum why do you always give me an erection.

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts
Played the demo, didnt love it, didn't hate it, I might pick it up someday, but not for $60, when Fire Emblem, Sly, and Rayman Legends are coming out in the same month.
Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

The boss killed me 3 or 4 times before I got the hang of parrying :P

fun game, but I'll wait for the price to drop.

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

Played the demo, I think I just wait to get it in a steam sale, not great nor bad, seems like it get repeative fast, and the writing is terrible compared to MGS.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

Played the demo, I think I just wait to get it in a steam sale, not great nor bad, seems like it get repeative fast, and the writing is terrible compared to MGS.

ultimate-k
It's not on PC :|
cfstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269 cfstar
Member since 2009 • 1979 Posts

I'm mixed with it.

I'm not a MGS fan, and I was not interested in this at all if it was very different but I tried it.

I didn't pay attention to the cutscenes or anything since if I do end up getting it, I won't be spoiled by the demo in anyway possible:

The gameplay is... I don't know what the word is. It's not "Bad", but it is not "Good", either.

The camera is bad, it's very slow to move around. As I expected, the hole "slow down and cut" thing is fun, but it completely breaks the flow of the combat, and considering your enemies still move relatively quickly while you're trying to aim, it's very hard to use mid combat.

The controls are only fairly responsive, in my experience, and Raiden lacks dynamism with his moveset, turning it into a repetitive button masher fast(though I expect this to be fixed in the final game, giving you more moves as you progress), not to mention switching enemies feels kind of akward, specially because the camera will constantly f**k you up. The enemies also take forever to kill, about 10 swings and they're still on foot. Raiden himself moves really slowly, which is thankfully helped by the fact that the scenarios are rather small. And the controls are so strange, like, to this point I still don't understand how am I supposed to use block correctly, sometimes I pulled it off, other times I died because it wouldn't work.

Despite all of that, the combat is satisfying, chopping an enemy into pieces feels really good, plus the production values are outstanding(great graphics, great sound, great voice acting, etc).

So.... I dunno, maybe I'll get, maybe not.

I'm surprised I have so many gripes with the gameplay, since this is Platinum games, who made Bayonetta, though I'm going to assume it was a different team.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

9 slice out of ten... loove the parry systemhippiesanta

What is the parry system? I couldn't figure out any defence manoeuvres in the demo and couldn't complete it as a result. Is there any blocking or dodging in the game. The demo is so unclear about everything

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272 rjdofu

[QUOTE="hippiesanta"]9 slice out of ten... loove the parry systemPikminmaniac

What is the parry system? I couldn't figure out any defence manoeuvres in the demo and couldn't complete it as a result. Is there any blocking or dodging in the game. The demo is so unclear about everything

There's a pop up clearly show an analog stick + square button, you didn't see that?
BigBoss255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274 BigBoss255
Member since 2010 • 3539 Posts

Parry should be assigned to a button and I feel really limited as Raiden not being able to do all those crazy back flips he did in 4 to dodge. The defensive mechanics are really poor. No wonder everyone's confused by it.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275 rjdofu

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

Slashkice

Move the analog stick in the direction of an enemy attack and press square at the same time. Raiden will block the attack while allowing you to counterattack all at once. If you've ever played Street Fighter III, the parrying system in Rising follows the same idea as the one in that, but it's more forgiving in its usage.

That only happens when you time it perfectly, you do it a bit too early and it will be a simple block.
OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276 OneSanitarium

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

rjdofu

There's a pop up clearly show an analog stick + square button, you didn't see that?

And a 2 or 3 line piece of text that explains how to do it.

But yeah, do it early to block, do it at the right time to do a quick block and instant followup.

And press Jump+Weak to do an evade that you can control to move left, right, or back.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277 OneSanitarium

Parry should be assigned to a button and I feel really limited as Raiden not being able to do all those crazy back flips he did in 4 to dodge. The defensive mechanics are really poor. No wonder everyone's confused by it.

BigBoss255

The games wants you to be offensive, so the defensive options are either better suited for last second usage (parry), or a not so useful, last resort type thing (evade). The game wants a continuous offensive front.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278 rjdofu

[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

OneSanitarium

But yeah, do it early to block, do it at the right time to do a quick block and instant followup.

And press Jump+Weak to do an evade that you can control to move left, right, or back.

If people complain about the missing move list then I can understand. However, I don't know why they having a hard time following the game basic mechanics, it's right there in their face. Or even if they don't notice that, they should at least get 1 or 2 lucky blocks or something.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

OneSanitarium

That sounds simple, but tricky to master. I like that kind of stuff in Hack N Slash games. *is reminded of Nero's Max act mechanic from DMC4*. It probably doesn't require that level of precision, but something as integral to survival should not be too dificult. Max act was simply a perk that was required for Nero to SSS levels on DMD mode

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280 ReadingRainbow4

I don't see the problem with the parry, the system gives me flash backs to onimusha which I think is pretty cool.

Perhaps they could add a dodge move, seeing how he is a ninja after all, and not a samurai.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281 OneSanitarium

I don't see the problem with the parry, the system gives me flash backs to onimusha which I think is pretty cool.

Perhaps they could add a dodge move, seeing how he is a ninja after all, and not a samurai.

ReadingRainbow4

He has a dodge. Jump+Weak/X+Square

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282 ReadingRainbow4

[QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"]

OneSanitarium

I never bothered trying it I guess, Although some people on here are acting like you are forced into parrying.
OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283 OneSanitarium

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=o7r_eYookBg

Weapon swicting guys.

Also, if you enter blade mode at the end of a rocket fire, assuming you have two or more rockets, Raiden never reloads so he has infinite missles

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284 jg4xchamp

the writing is terrible compared to MGS.

ultimate-k

:|

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285 rjdofu
[QUOTE="OneSanitarium"]

[QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"]

ReadingRainbow4

I never bothered trying it I guess, Although some people on here are acting like you are forced into parrying.

Well parrying is indeed the way to go if you wanna survive. The dodge is not exactly a dodge; it's a small step slash (side steps + back step, not 360 degree dodge), it has some invincible frames but the delay is pretty high, won't be practical to spam.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286 rjdofu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=o7r_eYookBg

Weapon swicting guys.

Also, if you enter blade mode at the end of a rocket fire, assuming you have two or more rockets, Raiden never reloads so he has infinite missles

OneSanitarium
Pole arm, I wish they would play a bit more instead of jump straight to that blade mode.
cfstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287 cfstar
Member since 2009 • 1979 Posts

[QUOTE="cfstar"]

I'm mixed with it.

I'm not a MGS fan, and I was not interested in this at all if it was very different but I tried it.

I didn't pay attention to the cutscenes or anything since if I do end up getting it, I won't be spoiled by the demo in anyway possible:

The gameplay is... I don't know what the word is. It's not "Bad", but it is not "Good", either.

The camera is bad, it's very slow to move around. As I expected, the hole "slow down and cut" thing is fun, but it completely breaks the flow of the combat, and considering your enemies still move relatively quickly while you're trying to aim, it's very hard to use mid combat.

The controls are only fairly responsive, in my experience, and Raiden lacks dynamism with his moveset, turning it into a repetitive button masher fast(though I expect this to be fixed in the final game, giving you more moves as you progress), not to mention switching enemies feels kind of akward, specially because the camera will constantly f**k you up. The enemies also take forever to kill, about 10 swings and they're still on foot. Raiden himself moves really slowly, which is thankfully helped by the fact that the scenarios are rather small. And the controls are so strange, like, to this point I still don't understand how am I supposed to use block correctly, sometimes I pulled it off, other times I died because it wouldn't work.

Despite all of that, the combat is satisfying, chopping an enemy into pieces feels really good, plus the production values are outstanding(great graphics, great sound, great voice acting, etc).

So.... I dunno, maybe I'll get, maybe not.

I'm surprised I have so many gripes with the gameplay, since this is Platinum games, who made Bayonetta, though I'm going to assume it was a different team.

Stringerboy

Is this being made by the same team who did Vanquish?

No idea, but apperantly not since Shinji Mikami is not involved.
ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

[QUOTE="ultimate-k"]

rjdofu

It might be comming to the pc after the console versions.

If it dosnt come to pc, then I wait for a price drop, or not get it at all.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/20/pc-port-for-metal-gear-rising-revengeance-to-be-considered-afte/

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289 rjdofu

[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="ultimate-k"]

ultimate-k

It might be comming to the pc after the console versions.

If it dosnt come to pc, then I wait for a price drop, or not get it at all.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/20/pc-port-for-metal-gear-rising-revengeance-to-be-considered-afte/

Damn it, don't know if I should wait for this version instead.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290 jg4xchamp
Would prefer a PC version.
Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

So i played this game and HOLY COW the frame rate is high for a console game and that DOG boss battle is ridiculous, i eventually gave up. The parry system isnt effective and why cant this NINJA dash/dodge despite all the muscles he has but overall it was a positive experience, looking forward

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292 OneSanitarium

So i played this game and HOLY COW the frame rate is high for a console game and that DOG boss battle is ridiculous, i eventually gave up. The parry system isnt effective and why cant this NINJA dash/dodge despite all the muscles he has but overall it was a positive experience, looking forward

megaspiderweb09

The parry system is pretty strong, if you do the actual parry and the slash hits the dog (LQ-84) he's stunned long enough to get a combo in.

Raiden dashes with R1, and has a dodge with Jump+Weak attack.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

megaspiderweb09

The dog battle is pretty easy, since he telegraphs almost all his attacks and they are pretty lenient on the parry time. I just go for perfect parries and I kill him extremely quickly.

CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts
[QUOTE="handssss"] god forbid people be upset that they grew attached to something for more than just it's gameplay and it was not only taken away from them

You can't take away DMC 1-4. Those will always be there exactly how they were left. It is pretty dumb to get upset over something because it isn't like it was in the past. Things change and if you don't like the change then stick to the past and be happy.
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295 ReadingRainbow4

[QUOTE="handssss"] god forbid people be upset that they grew attached to something for more than just it's gameplay and it was not only taken away from them CajunShooter
You can't take away DMC 1-4. Those will always be there exactly how they were left. It is pretty dumb to get upset over something because it isn't like it was in the past. Things change and if you don't like the change then stick to the past and be happy.

In this case the change was a regression.

I'd rate this latest entry slightly higher than 2, because atleast the game isn't broken.

1,3, and 4 are all superior in just about every way. Hopefully Capcom doesn't just decide to kill Dante off due to the low sales of this rather lame reboot and bring him back to the drawing board.

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

After 2 hours of downloading this, I was pretty dissappointed. The game just felt awkward when I was playing.

Might give it another go though.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

After 2 hours of downloading this, I was pretty dissappointed. The game just felt awkward when I was playing.

Might give it another go though.

hayato_

I didn't like it at first for the same reason. Once I got more used to the blocking/parrying and the blade time I enjoyed it more. As others have mentioned, the demo does a terrible job of teaching you how to play properly.

CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts

In this case the change was a regression.ReadingRainbow4

Doesn't really matter. If you are a person that is gonna whine about every little change to something that is familiar with you then you better lock yourself indoors and cut your self off from all society because whether you like it or not things change. Life is to short to get upset over something as silly as DMC.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Someone mentioned this already, but the camera is too damn close to Raiden.

dantesergei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#300 dantesergei
Member since 2004 • 2254 Posts

So the demo is out, thoughts SW?

Oh and to keep it system warsish: You could spend your hard earned money(or in most of your cases your parents hard earned money) on the gutter trash that is a Ninja Theory action game. You know with the weak shallow combat mechanics, the try hard for styIe presentation, and frankly a bastard child when measured up to the excellence of Devil May Cry 1,3, and to a lesser extent 4.

Or you can take the time to try the demo of a game that will actually have styIe, depth, and some top notch game design because Platinum Games on their worst days(Madworld/Anarchy Reigns) have been better action game developers than Ninja Theory can ever hope to be.

Then again it's not my money so you can choose to be stupid instead. Your call.

jg4xchamp
Amen brother. To f****** bad that i'm without a PS3.