Remedy Entertainment or Naughty Dogs?

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#51 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

I see that the mods are slacking in doing their job. Thread still not locked.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Factually speaking, Max Payne is better than any Naughty Dog game, everyone in the world agrees.

Sadly, while Max Payne is superior, Remedy lapsed into repetition; Alan Wake being (essentially) Resident Evil with a lack of enemy variety, location variety, puzzles interesting characters (unless man in puff jacket counts) and other bad things that are bad in nature.

Max Payne - while repetitive and also taking place in the largely the same enviroment, had such fun gun mechanics coupled with an engaging moody story, it was irrelevant.

Of the two developers, Naughty Dog has been consistent in quality, while as a sole product Max Payne is at least 86 times better.

Kind of agree with this. Max Payne was revolutionary for the genre. It is very satisfying to shoot things in that game. More so than any Naughty Dog game. The Last Of Us and Uncharted 2 trade blows with Max Payne in different aspects, but overall I'm feeling when you factor in everything each developer has done, Naughty Dog take the crown. And going forward I also think Naughty Dog will deliver better games.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

Uncharted 1 is only average.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#55  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Factually speaking, Max Payne is better than any Naughty Dog game, everyone in the world agrees.

Who dafuq are you to speak for me?

TLoU >>>>>>>>>> Anything Remedy has ever made

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#56 waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts

@Jag85 said:

The first two Max Payne games were good for their time, but now they feel dated compared to Uncharted and TLOU. And Alan Wake isn't anything to brag about. Sorry, but Naughty Dog has a much better resume.

While I think ND has brought more quality in recent years.. I mean basically the only game most people can name that remedy brought out last gen was alan wake... the max payne games were just overall much better. Far more interesting gameplay. Naghty dog has brought a lot of super polished mediocre shooters. Critics seem to love polish over gameplay, but a polished turd is still a turd in my book.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#57 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@hello505: Flagged for your name for Ellie. Don't be a jerk.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20105 Posts

@Storm_Marine said:

Last gen, Naughty Dog made:

Uncharted: Metacritic 88

Uncharted 2: Metacritic 96

Uncharted 3: Metacritic 92

The Last of Us: Metacritic 95

Last gen, Remedy made:

Alan Wake: Metacritic 83

Death Rally: Metacritic 62

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59  Edited By sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Naughty Dogs, for me Uncharted 3 is the worse game of their big releases, and even that is still good.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#60 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Max Payne 1 and 2 along with Alan Wake are among my most favorite games of all time, so Remedy for me. Their stories are unique with some really cool ideas. And did I read that right? 1st Uncharted has 88 metacritic?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Cloud_imperium
@uninspiredcup said:
@princeofshapeir said:

Max Payne 1 & 2 are better than any Naughty Dog game ever: fact. Look it up.

Agreed, although Max Payne 2 was arguably lacking on the story front.

For my money's worth Max Payne 3, (Rockstar) was mostly a better sequel let down by one or two shitty on the rail sections.

Max Payne 2 had better story imo. As for Max Payne 3,,, that was weakest in the series. From story to shooting mechanics, everything is average at best. You can't carry more than 3 weapons, there are no grenades or molotov cocktails, on rail sections are terrible, cutscenes have terrible glowing effect, Story is Man on Fire rip off, writing is mediocre, not even a single character is interesting, long boring cutscenes and then you have cover based shooting.

When you move your camera in slow motion with mouse, it takes forever before Max can turn his body to shoot enemies ie- gameplay was slowed down for controllers. You can't go too far after killing enemies because cutscene triggers and door behind you gets locked, which means you can't go back to previous area to pick up ammos or guns (probably to because PS360 couldn't handle bigger levels). It was full of flaws.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#62 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@Storm_Marine said:

Last gen, Naughty Dog made:

Uncharted: Metacritic 88

Uncharted 2: Metacritic 96

Uncharted 3: Metacritic 92

The Last of Us: Metacritic 95

Last gen, Remedy made:

Alan Wake: Metacritic 83

Death Rally: Metacritic 62

/thread....

And that's a wrap.

hello505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 hello505
Member since 2013 • 523 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

Max Payne 1 and 2 along with Alan Wake are among my most favorite games of all time, so Remedy for me. Their stories are unique with some really cool ideas. And did I read that right? 1st Uncharted has 88 metacritic?

It's such a bad game. People will realize that with the Uncharted collection.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Cloud_imperium

@hello505 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

It was 6/10 game at best.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#65  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Remedy made 2 good Max Payne games a decade ago and then a mediocre Alan Wake.

ND made 1 ok Uncharted game, 2 good Uncharted Games, and 1 fantastic new IP game.

ND wins....they're only getting better.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#66 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

@hello505: i think its an awesome game :(

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#67  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59001 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@princeofshapeir said:

For my money's worth Max Payne 3, (Rockstar) was mostly a better sequel let down by one or two shitty on the rail sections.

Max Payne 2 had better story imo. As for Max Payne 3,,, that was weakest in the series. From story to shooting mechanics, everything is average at best. You can't carry more than 3 weapons, there are no grenades or molotov cocktails, on rail sections are terrible, cutscenes have terrible glowing effect, Story is Man on Fire rip off, writing is mediocre, not even a single character is interesting, long boring cutscenes and then you have cover based shooting.

When you move your camera in slow motion with mouse, it takes forever before Max can turn his body to shoot enemies ie- gameplay was slowed down for controllers. You can't go too far after killing enemies because cutscene triggers and door behind you gets locked, which means you can't go back to previous area to pick up ammos or guns (probably to because PS360 couldn't handle bigger levels). It was full of flaws.

Eh. I'd say story wise Max Payne 3 was excellent, rivaling and exceeding most action movies at the time and what have come since. While it lacks the stylish pulp comic book panals it makes up for it with stellar voice acting, a killer soundtrack and great choreography.

I've seen this argument a couple of times regarding man on fire (which is really just in regards to the psychedelic style), but Max Payne himself is basically was the Punisher to begin with, with the shooting copy pasted from Hard Boiled, many have went out of their way to attempt to paint Max Payne 3 as a ripoff while ignoring the originals influences, which is pretty hypocritical. Even before the game was released people flung shit at it, as they do.

Max Payne 3 from a character perspective makes more sense as well, his entire family killed, he's just massacred hundreds of people, and Max Payne 2 starts with him pretty much fine for the most part going on to become what it thinks it edgy romance, but kinda just comes across as bland compared to the first one.

Max Payne 3 starts off with him half way round the world running away from his problems popping piles and being a wrecked as a husk of a man. Instead of simply copying everything from the first as the sequel did, Rockstar deliberately use the opposite color pallet with a story loosely linked and using themed from the original rather than hinging on a B-character. It feels more like a sequel.

If I had a problem with the story, it would be the gun-ho moments in which be stretches out his arms with 10-20 bad guys imploring them to do something, this happens at least twice in the game. These dude bro moments are very Grand Theft Auto, but don't fit well with this franchise, generally undermining everything around it.

The best moments of the story are the small little comments the character makes, many of them jumping back to the original (e.g. Here I was again, half way down the world and still looking at the bodies of women I was suppose to protect, but only this time I didn't understand the language), it just acknowledges rather than piggybacks it as so many game sequels do.

Having heard about wall cover I suspected the worst, but mechanically it is almost identical. But as stated, very Rockstar section with boats, scripted wack-a-mole and on the rails that doesn't fit. I imagine given the repetitive nature of Max Payne they probably felt they needed to add variety and make it more bombastic to raise the stakes, but I think most people who enjoyed Max Payne were more than happy just shooting people over and over. The original (as well as this) are fairly short condensed games, 6-7 hours tops.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#68  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I like the first half of alan wake and then it went to shit.

And that american nightmare DLC was really poor.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Cloud_imperium

@uninspiredcup said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@princeofshapeir said:

Eh. I'd say story wise Max Payne 3 was excellent, rivaling and exceeding most action movies at the time and what have come since. While it lacks the stylish pulp comic book panals it makes up for it with stellar voice acting, a killer soundtrack and great choreography.

I've seen this argument a couple of times regarding man on fire (which is really just in regards to the psychedelic style), but Max Payne himself is basically was the Punisher to begin with, with the shooting copy pasted from Hard Boiled, many have went out of their way to attempt to paint Max Payne 3 as a ripoff while ignoring the originals influences, which is pretty hypocritical. Even before the game was released people flung shit at it, as they do.

Max Payne 3 from a character perspective makes more sense as well, his entire family killed, he's just massacred hundreds of people, and Max Payne 2 starts with him pretty much fine for the most part going on to become what it thinks it edgy romance, but kinda just comes across as bland compared to the first one.

Max Payne 3 starts off with him half way round the world running away from his problems popping piles and being a wrecked as a husk of a man. Instead of simply copying everything from the first as the sequel did, Rockstar deliberately use the opposite color pallet with a story loosely linked and using themed from the original rather than hinging on a B-character. It feels more like a sequel.

If I had a problem with the story, it would be the gun-ho moments in which be stretches out his arms with 10-20 bad guys imploring them to do something, this happens at least twice in the game. These dude bro moments are very Grand Theft Auto, but don't fit well with this franchise, generally undermining everything around it.

The best moments of the story are the small little comments the character makes, many of them jumping back to the original (e.g. Here I was again, half way down the world and still looking at the bodies of women I was suppose to protect, but only this time I didn't understand the language), it just acknowledges rather than piggybacks it as so many game sequels do.

Having heard about wall cover I suspected the worst, but mechanically it is almost identical. But as stated, very Rockstar section with boats, scripted wack-a-mole and on the rails that doesn't fit. I imagine given the repetitive nature of Max Payne they probably felt they needed to add variety and make it more bombastic to raise the stakes, but I think most people who enjoyed Max Payne were more than happy just shooting people over and over. The original (as well as this) are fairly short condensed games, 6-7 hours tops.

Nah, you are just biased. Max Payne 3's story is mediocre and generic, full of bad writing.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52429 Posts

God, that's a toughie. I think I'll go with Naughty Dog.

hello505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By hello505
Member since 2013 • 523 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@princeofshapeir said:

You should play The Punisher from 2005, great fucking game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@Cloud_imperium said:
@hello505 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

At the time it come out it was a great game. Hell, it still is a fun game

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Have to go with Naughty Dogs!

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@Cloud_imperium said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@princeofshapeir said:

Nah, you are just biased. Max Payne 3's story is mediocre and generic, full of bad writing.

Erm, that was rude. He went to the trouble of typing that shit just for you. And you just shot his balls off. Not very respectful at all.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@hello505 said:
@Vatusus said:
@hello505 said:
@Vatusus said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@hello505 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

At the time it come out it was a great game. Hell, it still is a fun game

Vatusus has shit taste: confirmed.

You're an idiot: confirmed.

At least I don't have a knack for shit, you really are a dung beetle.

But you do. You like Remedy games

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#79 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Comparing ND vs Remedy is like the equivalent to comparing cat vs mice.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

I'm not personally a fan of the Uncharted series, but this comparison you're going to have to give to Naughty Dog.

I'm more interested in Quantum Break, as it looks genuinely unique/interesting, than another Uncharted, but hopefully they are both good games.