PSN hack lets users unban themselves, ban others

• 156 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

VensInferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 VensInferno
Member since 2010 • 3395 Posts

This game of one-upmanship between Sony and the PS3 modders is getting seriously heated. Responding to the news that Sony was permabanning modded consoles, a new hack claims to worm into the PSN and allow people to unban themselves.

The hack can also be used to ban another console, although they'd need access to that console's ID, which would have to be obtained from a refurb warehouse/secondhand seller or willingly given up by an idiot.

The mod scene is justifying its actions by calling Sony bullies and criticizing its strong-arm tactics. Sony, of course, is sticking by its EULA and claiming to protect its interests.

Whichever side you find righteous, there is no denying that this war is going to get even more bitter -- and likely more idiotic -- before it's all said and done.

http://www.destructoid.com/psn-hack-lets-users-unban-themselves-ban-others-194361.phtml

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised, you can already do that on the 360, except the part that bans others.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50559 Posts

I wonder if the hackers actually believe the **** coming out of their mouths.

icyseanfitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 icyseanfitz
Member since 2006 • 2493 Posts

I wonder if the hackers actually believe the **** coming out of their mouths.

Chutebox

tbh i would, what ever you might think about hackers personally they are an inventive buch of people

RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RavenLoud
Member since 2009 • 2874 Posts

I once respected hackers and geo-hot.

Now, not so much. Bunch of immature entitled attention-seekers despite all their talents.

Besides...won't Sony just ban the new ID they obtained in due time? This would just be a stalling tactic.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Modding your own console is one thing.. hacking PSN is another... Hopefully sony gets some kids bankrupt for that one.

crusadernm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 crusadernm
Member since 2009 • 1609 Posts

I think because with the master code, you can do anything to games or your PS3.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised, you can already do that on the 360, except the part that bans others.tagyhag
seems to be far harder to do on the 360 now then it is on the ps3.
Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

Hackers seem to be winning

just saiyan

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

Sony should just have left everyone with a modded console alone and just banned all those that tried to use it for cheating in games.

It's just a matter of time before someone figures out how the console ID:s are generated and they'll start getting thousands of unmodified ps3 banned just because they're douches. I could careless about Sony, they needed to be taught a lesson in how you treat your customers. The whole thing with not being able to use PSN stuff you bought on the new PSPphone was the last straw for me "feeling" sorry for Sony.

conistant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 conistant
Member since 2008 • 2169 Posts

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]I wouldn't be surprised, you can already do that on the 360, except the part that bans others.WilliamRLBaker
seems to be far harder to do on the 360 now then it is on the ps3.

You are right about that but I wouldn't be surprised if Sony just implements a new security feature on the PSN servers.If Microsoft did it then so can sony.

VensInferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 VensInferno
Member since 2010 • 3395 Posts

just saiyan

HaloinventedFPS

Nobody is winning.

dc337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dc337
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts

I could careless about Sony, they needed to be taught a lesson in how you treat your customers. kaealy
What about ps3 gamers that have had their online gaming ruined? Did they need to be taught a lesson as well?

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
The Sony vs Hackers war continues :o
TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheMoreYouOwn
Member since 2010 • 3927 Posts
Hacks into the psn to unban a console? I'm calling bs on this one.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

And Sony's dreams become shattered.

RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RavenLoud

Sony should just have left everyone with a modded console alone and just banned all those that tried to use it for cheating in games.

It's just a matter of time before someone figures out how the console ID:s are generated and they'll start getting thousands of unmodified ps3 banned just because they're douches. I could careless about Sony, they needed to be taught a lesson in how you treat your customers. The whole thing with not being able to use PSN stuff you bought on the new PSPphone was the last straw for me "feeling" sorry for Sony.

kaealy
A key generator won't do any good. It has to be an ID from another console. Sony has a whitelist of IDs of PS3 that came out of factories. If you just put any code it won't work, unless it's from another PS3.
babyeatermax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 babyeatermax
Member since 2010 • 272 Posts
BS. Just like hackers claiming Sony sends your credit card info over the net in plain text. It's all BS.
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
There are those who create and those who leech off the creations of others. Hackers are the latter.
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
Hacks into the psn to unban a console? I'm calling bs on this one.TheMoreYouOwn
It's perfectly possible.
markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 markinthedark
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

[QUOTE="kaealy"]

RavenLoud

A key generator won't do any good. It has to be an ID from another console. Sony has a whitelist of IDs of PS3 that came out of factories. If you just put any code it won't work, unless it's from another PS3.

The danger being if someone manages to get their hands on that whitelist. Something your normal pirates and cheaters probably have no chance of accomplishing. But some of the more intelligent members of the hacking community are capable of. Hopefully sony hasnt POd the wrong folks with their lawsuits and blanket bans.

I think Sony would have been much better off with an approach like kaealy mentioned and just concentrate on banning cheaters and pirates.... rather than everyone with custom firmware.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

I suppose first we need other various sources claiming to have unbanned their PS3. Maybe someone who frequents that kind of IRC scene or something could help. This could be just BS.

FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts
Don't you need a legit console ID from an un banned console to get back on to PSN? Which means you have to get a new PS3 no?
DreamnDayUnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DreamnDayUnite
Member since 2011 • 428 Posts
Good enough for Sony. They have begun to dig their own hole with their heavy-handed way of dealing with this.
BigBoss255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BigBoss255
Member since 2010 • 3539 Posts
Haha is funny.
RandoIph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RandoIph
Member since 2010 • 2041 Posts
Sony will now pull out their ultimate trump card. They are going to call these guys moms. :o What will they do when they get kicked out of the Mancave/basement?
RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RavenLoud
[QUOTE="RandoIph"]Sony will now pull out their ultimate trump card. They are going to call these guys moms. :o What will they do when they get kicked out of the Mancave/basement?

They'll hack their mom and claim that it was their rights and freedom.
monkeyd_93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 monkeyd_93
Member since 2007 • 6848 Posts
i'm taking everything that's said from a hacker's mouth with a grain of salt, since there is no proof that what they are saying is even remotely true. Besides this sounds bogus as i do believe its not just the console id number which they can blacklist, which would make it impossible to change and bypass anyway. And also if this were true, they would need an unbanned console ID number, which would only mean they would need to buy a new one so whats the point in doing it?
icyseanfitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 icyseanfitz

why do people find it so hard to believe that hackers can do this? there are some really talanted hackers that i garuntee this would be a piece of cake for and sony just pissed them off.....

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts
[QUOTE="RavenLoud"][QUOTE="RandoIph"]Sony will now pull out their ultimate trump card. They are going to call these guys moms. :o What will they do when they get kicked out of the Mancave/basement?

They'll hack their mom and claim that it was their rights and freedom.

Freedom!!! freedom!!! freedom!!!!! though I'll be honest this looks pointless..
Deadbeatcobra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Deadbeatcobra
Member since 2006 • 1913 Posts

why do people find it so hard to believe that hackers can do this? there are some really talanted hackers that i garuntee this would be a piece of cake for and sony just pissed them off.....

icyseanfitz

theres a mentality in system wars that if your not working for sony/devs/micro, then you dont know what the hell you talking bout and can never match the gods of the industry, i find it hilarious,

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#32 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts
[QUOTE="VensInferno"]

[QUOTE="HaloinventedFPS"]

just saiyan

Nobody is winning.

Legit customers are losing.
icyseanfitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 icyseanfitz

[QUOTE="icyseanfitz"]

Deadbeatcobra

theres a mentality in system wars that if your not working for sony/devs/micro, then you dont know what the hell you talking bout and can never match the gods of the industry, i find it hilarious,

and yet the vast majority of the coders/devs in these companies started out as "hackers" which is why i find the fact that people are calling for the destruction of hackers so funny bloody idiots :roll:

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lbjkurono23

[QUOTE="Deadbeatcobra"]

[QUOTE="icyseanfitz"]

icyseanfitz

and yet the vast majority of the coders/devs in these companies started out as "hackers" which is why i find the fact that people are calling for the destruction of hackers so funny bloody idiots :roll:

Who are you calling bloody :x
Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

If it is true then it will be like Phantasy Star Online for DC all over again. :P Everyones characters being turned into female level 1 characters called NOL. Lol. 100s of hours of grinding down the drain. Those where the days.

I do think this is utter nonsense wannabe hackers are spewing out. Yeah, these are the same guys that talk about freedom and homebrew, now that they don't get what they want, they want to try and wreck it for everyone. Whiney little scumbags. Just like Geohot. Sony put him in his place. He's totally QQing on youtube with his little rap video he made. Lol worthy.

Deadbeatcobra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Deadbeatcobra

[QUOTE="Deadbeatcobra"]

[QUOTE="icyseanfitz"]

icyseanfitz

exactly, people who say that are either A: hardcore fanboys that think their beloved console maker is god or B: ignorant people who know nothing on how technology works and or advances, I bet they never even heard of ethical hacking

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#38 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

Hmm, hackers dodging deserved punishment and also bragging about having the ability to ban respectable legitimate gamers... as if there wasn't enough reasons to dislike them already.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#39 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

Sony had too much running on the master key... It was like "Don't worry the master key will stop them" at every little security issue. PS4 will require much more control over who accesses the servers as the PS3 was just too highly reliant on strong codes and once you know the code there is nothing you cannot do. Next round i'd expect a new protocol allowing Sony complete control over who accesses their servers and for it to be hardware based and for a random number not to be the same on every system(:lol: ).

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

Thank you Geohotz for your contribution to gaming.

I can't believe people on here actually said they were on Geohotz side.

babyeatermax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 babyeatermax
Member since 2010 • 272 Posts

icyseanfitz
Because most hackers are full of it. Period. For all the big talk hackers spouted about how vulnerable the PS3 was SONY has stayed two steps ahead of them
lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lbjkurono23

Blazerdt47
Dude!!! Geo is our savior :roll:
icyseanfitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 icyseanfitz

[QUOTE="icyseanfitz"]

[QUOTE="Deadbeatcobra"] theres a mentality in system wars that if your not working for sony/devs/micro, then you dont know what the hell you talking bout and can never match the gods of the industry, i find it hilarious,

Deadbeatcobra

exactly, people who say that are either A: hardcore fanboys that think their beloved console maker is god or B: ignorant people who know nothing on how technology works and or advances, I bet they never even heard of ethical hacking

this topic annoys me so much :evil: people are gladdly giving away all control of their property to big companies, god damn how long until the internet becomes restricted in what you can learn and view, wana learn how to build your own computer.....MS will gladly sell you a guide for $500 :( pretty sad how people are willing to shoot themselves in the foot without even knowing what they are doing

TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TheMoreYouOwn
Member since 2010 • 3927 Posts

[QUOTE="icyseanfitz"]

[QUOTE="Deadbeatcobra"] theres a mentality in system wars that if your not working for sony/devs/micro, then you dont know what the hell you talking bout and can never match the gods of the industry, i find it hilarious,

Deadbeatcobra

:lol: That minute of a minority of ethical hackers live in the shadow of what is the multi-billion dollar hacked/pirated game market Mt. Everest.

icyseanfitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 icyseanfitz

[QUOTE="icyseanfitz"]

babyeatermax

Because most hackers are full of it. Period. For all the big talk hackers spouted about how vulnerable the PS3 was SONY has stayed two steps ahead of them

geo is an exception, if you think he is the crem de la crem of hackers you live in fantasy world my friend, most hackers are unknown everyday people that like computers and how they work....which is why software advances because of these people, hell bill gates started as a hacker. as for Sony staying two steps ahead what? if they where this debate would never be occurring

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

[QUOTE="babyeatermax"][QUOTE="icyseanfitz"]

icyseanfitz

geo is an exception, if you think he is the crem de la crem of hackers you live in fantasy world my friend, most hackers are unknown everyday people that like computers and how they work....which is why software advances because of these people, hell bill gates started as a hacker. as for Sony staying two steps ahead what? if the where this debate would never be occurring

Real hackers have got better things to do than hack gaming consoles just so they can ban peoples PSN IDs out of lolrage. Geohot is the one that started it all. I'd rather give control to the big companes than a bunch of lowly hissy fitting wannabe hackers like geohot that would potentially ruin a lot of things to get what they want.

Deadbeatcobra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Deadbeatcobra

[QUOTE="Deadbeatcobra"]

[QUOTE="icyseanfitz"]

TheMoreYouOwn

:lol: That minute of a minority of ethical hackers live in the shadow of what is the multi-billion dollar hacked/pirated game market Mt. Everest.

good job on missing the point. that minority of ethical hackers are the people who build multi-billion/million dollar industrys not all of them though. oh and pirates=/=hackers

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Blazerdt47

I still am, so many good things can come out of it, you can't just ban a console without having physical acccess.

Also, this is an obvious hack, that was destined to come if you know the master key.

Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ilikemyname420
Member since 2007 • 5147 Posts

[QUOTE="Deadbeatcobra"]

[QUOTE="icyseanfitz"]

TheMoreYouOwn

You are supremely deluded if you really think the majority of hackers are in it just to pirate games....
nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts
The hack can also be used to ban another console, although they'd need access to that console's ID, which would have to be obtained from a refurb warehouse/secondhand seller or willingly given up by an idiot.VensInferno
**sighs with relief** I was afraid it'd be WAY easier than that.