PSN hack lets users unban themselves, ban others

• 156 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

I have to see it to believe it so untill that I will take what hackers say as a grain of salt + its uselss who is the if=diot who will give his PS3 ID to anyone anyway lol.

Kokuro_Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Kokuro_Kun
Member since 2009 • 2339 Posts

I wonder if the hackers actually believe the **** coming out of their mouths.

Chutebox
My thoughts exactly.
Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#53 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

[QUOTE="icyseanfitz"]

why do people find it so hard to believe that hackers can do this? there are some really talanted hackers that i garuntee this would be a piece of cake for and sony just pissed them off.....

babyeatermax

Because most hackers are full of it. Period. For all the big talk hackers spouted about how vulnerable the PS3 was SONY has stayed two steps ahead of them

It certainly seems that way. I think they're a bit too confident for their own good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

[QUOTE="TheMoreYouOwn"]

[QUOTE="Deadbeatcobra"] exactly, people who say that are either A: hardcore fanboys that think their beloved console maker is god or B: ignorant people who know nothing on how technology works and or advances, I bet they never even heard of ethical hacking

Ilikemyname420

:lol: That minute of a minority of ethical hackers live in the shadow of what is the multi-billion dollar hacked/pirated game market Mt. Everest.

You are supremely deluded if you really think the majority of hackers are in it just to pirate games....

Lol. What else are they in it for? Let see.. Banning peoples PSN accounts - Check. Whats next?

Stealing peoples credit card info - Incoming. :) I really doubt they went through all this to use Linux on their PS3s.

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts

I have to see it to believe it so untill that I will take what hackers say as a grain of salt + its uselss who is the if=diot who will give his PS3 ID to anyone anyway lol.

Kashiwaba
It might be true, but yeah who's going to give up their console id? and even worse what will happen when that id gets banned? Pretty useless if you ask me.
Mrmccormo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Mrmccormo
Member since 2011 • 870 Posts
I call BS on this. Since this debacle began, PS3 hackers have claimed to be able to do a lot of things, and the vast majority of those things have turned out to be untrue or are simply blocked now that Sony is taking a stronger stance against the hack. If we believed everything the hackers said, then all credit card info would have been stolen, PSN would have been hacked, oh, and people forget this big one: hackers initially claimed that Sony wouldn't even be able to ban them in the first place. Yeah, THAT turned out to be true. :roll:
haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 haberman13
Member since 2003 • 2414 Posts

I call BS on this. Since this debacle began, PS3 hackers have claimed to be able to do a lot of things, and the vast majority of those things have turned out to be untrue or are simply blocked now that Sony is taking a stronger stance against the hack. If we believed everything the hackers said, then all credit card info would have been stolen, PSN would have been hacked, oh, and people forget this big one: hackers initially claimed that Sony wouldn't even be able to ban them in the first place. Yeah, THAT turned out to be true. :roll:Mrmccormo

You are confusing the methods of hacking. On a hacked PS3 you can run software that intercepts transmission with PSN and fakes a legit console.

To hack the CC info etc. you would need to hack the PSN database. Different method and system.

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts
All hackers ask for is to be able to get all the games they want for free. So what if devs get less money for putting time and effort into making great games? They should just be grateful that said hackers don't hack into their bank accounts and take their savings as well. So a message to Sony and all devs: think before acting like a bunch of jerks who want nothing more than to earn a decent living.
Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Ilikemyname420
Member since 2007 • 5147 Posts

[QUOTE="Ilikemyname420"][QUOTE="TheMoreYouOwn"]

:lol: That minute of a minority of ethical hackers live in the shadow of what is the multi-billion dollar hacked/pirated game market Mt. Everest.

Crossel777

You are supremely deluded if you really think the majority of hackers are in it just to pirate games....

Lol. What else are they in it for? Let see.. Banning peoples PSN accounts - Check. Whats next?

Stealing peoples credit card info - Incoming. :) I really doubt they went through all this to use Linux on their PS3s.

Most hackers do what they do just for the sake of doing it. They usually aren't interested in the end result but are very interested in both the method used to get in to a system and how the system itself was built. The majority of people looking in to jailbreak for pirating games AREN'T hackers.
Mrmccormo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Mrmccormo

[QUOTE="Mrmccormo"]I call BS on this. Since this debacle began, PS3 hackers have claimed to be able to do a lot of things, and the vast majority of those things have turned out to be untrue or are simply blocked now that Sony is taking a stronger stance against the hack. If we believed everything the hackers said, then all credit card info would have been stolen, PSN would have been hacked, oh, and people forget this big one: hackers initially claimed that Sony wouldn't even be able to ban them in the first place. Yeah, THAT turned out to be true. :roll:haberman13

You are confusing the methods of hacking. On a hacked PS3 you can run software that intercepts transmission with PSN and fakes a legit console.

To hack the CC info etc. you would need to hack the PSN database. Different method and system.

All I'm saying is that most of the things hackers claimed have turned out to be false or were true for a very short period of time before Sony blocked it. Am I the only one who remembers how - at the very beginning - hackers claimed they would be able to run homebrew and pirated games without being detected at all? Did that end up being true or not?
TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 TheMoreYouOwn
Member since 2010 • 3927 Posts

[QUOTE="TheMoreYouOwn"]

[QUOTE="Deadbeatcobra"] exactly, people who say that are either A: hardcore fanboys that think their beloved console maker is god or B: ignorant people who know nothing on how technology works and or advances, I bet they never even heard of ethical hacking

Ilikemyname420

I've got billions of bucks backing me up, buddy.

Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Ilikemyname420
[QUOTE="haberman13"]

[QUOTE="Mrmccormo"]I call BS on this. Since this debacle began, PS3 hackers have claimed to be able to do a lot of things, and the vast majority of those things have turned out to be untrue or are simply blocked now that Sony is taking a stronger stance against the hack. If we believed everything the hackers said, then all credit card info would have been stolen, PSN would have been hacked, oh, and people forget this big one: hackers initially claimed that Sony wouldn't even be able to ban them in the first place. Yeah, THAT turned out to be true. :roll:Mrmccormo

All I'm saying is that most of the things hackers claimed have turned out to be false or were true for a very short period of time before Sony blocked it. Am I the only one who remembers how - at the very beginning - hackers claimed they would be able to run homebrew and pirated games without being detected at all? Did that end up being true or not?

They can run homebrew and can play pirated games without being detected......just not while connecting to PSN.
Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

Thank you Geohotz for your contribution to gaming.

I can't believe people on here actually said they were on Geohotz side.

Blazerdt47
Unfortunaly there will always be that group of monkeys that want to throw all the bananas into the river instead of eating them, that just a part of life. :P
Mrmccormo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Mrmccormo

[QUOTE="Mrmccormo"][QUOTE="haberman13"]

Ilikemyname420

They can run homebrew and can play pirated games without being detected......just not while connecting to PSN.

A recent statement showed that if your PS3 is connected to an online source, even if you're not logged in to PSN, Sony can run searches on your hardware. You have to be completely offline to remain undetectable (which is a duh :P).

Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Ilikemyname420

[QUOTE="Ilikemyname420"][QUOTE="TheMoreYouOwn"]

TheMoreYouOwn

Again someone simply downloading custom firmware putting it on his PS3 and then playing backed up (pirated) games is not a hacker in any way shape or form.
VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#66 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

If true, it begs the question: What other types of user info do the hackers have access to?

TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 TheMoreYouOwn
Member since 2010 • 3927 Posts

[QUOTE="TheMoreYouOwn"]

[QUOTE="Ilikemyname420"] You are supremely deluded if you really think the majority of hackers are in it just to pirate games.... Ilikemyname420

Again someone simply downloading custom firmware putting it on his PS3 and then playing backed up (pirated) games is not a hacker in any way shape or form.

You are correct, but that game didn't just torrent itself or whatever the situation might be, including hardware. At some point along it's history, there was a hack involved, and someone who knew full well what that hack would lead to. I generally don't always go into full details on these sorts of things because I would hope common sense would do the job for me.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
Sony knew this was possible, aside from maybe the banning of other systems by hackers...but seriously who is gonna give out there systems ID?
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

[QUOTE="icyseanfitz"]

why do people find it so hard to believe that hackers can do this? there are some really talanted hackers that i garuntee this would be a piece of cake for and sony just pissed them off.....

Deadbeatcobra

theres a mentality in system wars that if your not working for sony/devs/micro, then you dont know what the hell you talking bout and can never match the gods of the industry, i find it hilarious,

There's also a mentality among some here that "hackers" have some kind of skills not shared by those who work for the big three. The only thing a hacker has that any other software people don't is malicious intent.

fadersdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#70 fadersdream
Member since 2006 • 3154 Posts

[QUOTE="babyeatermax"][QUOTE="icyseanfitz"]

icyseanfitz

Because most hackers are full of it. Period. For all the big talk hackers spouted about how vulnerable the PS3 was SONY has stayed two steps ahead of them

geo is an exception, if you think he is the crem de la crem of hackers you live in fantasy world my friend, most hackers are unknown everyday people that like computers and how they work....which is why software advances because of these people, hell bill gates started as a hacker. as for Sony staying two steps ahead what? if they where this debate would never be occurring

most hackers are script kiddies plug and playing bit groupings off hotmail stash accounts.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#71 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Hackers are not real Gamers. They are put into the category of cheaters. I guess I'm taking a break from Black Ops and MW2 for a while...
markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 markinthedark
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

[QUOTE="Deadbeatcobra"]

[QUOTE="icyseanfitz"]

Pug-Nasty

theres a mentality in system wars that if your not working for sony/devs/micro, then you dont know what the hell you talking bout and can never match the gods of the industry, i find it hilarious,

There's also a mentality among some here that "hackers" have some kind of skills not shared by those who work for the big three. The only thing a hacker has that any other software people don't is malicious intent.

So giant mega corporations trying to take every dime we have = good intent.

hackers adding functionality to our consoles free of charge = malicious intent.

Ill make sure to remember that.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 bbkkristian

[QUOTE="Pug-Nasty"]

[QUOTE="Deadbeatcobra"] theres a mentality in system wars that if your not working for sony/devs/micro, then you dont know what the hell you talking bout and can never match the gods of the industry, i find it hilarious,

markinthedark

Hackers are cheat the system!! Sony needs to pay their million employees with the stuff they sell and they have to pay their extremely high taxes for being a huge corporation! Hackers try to get around not paying, which is STEALING! They should be put in JAIL!

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
Sony knew this was possible, aside from maybe the banning of other systems by hackers...but seriously who is gonna give out there systems ID?Jynxzor
If i sent 20 random messages to ps3 user's stating that i can give you free games,movies,wallpaper,etc and all you have to do is give me your ps3's ID trust me..atleast 5 will do it.
SkyRaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#75 SkyRaid
Member since 2004 • 2001 Posts

Soooo is free still better?

shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

Chutebox

They have egos and sense of entitlement that know no bounds, so probably.

Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#77 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

lol is the only appropriate response.

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 lbjkurono23

Soooo is free still better?

SkyRaid

Yes!!!

ps: if you had taken your time to read you would have noticed that they need to put an official console id(from another console which would mean a) they bought another console or b) asked some one else to give them theirs. So they can't just make a random id.

markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 markinthedark

[QUOTE="markinthedark"]

[QUOTE="Pug-Nasty"]

bbkkristian

Hackers are cheat the system!! Sony needs to pay their million employees with the stuff they sell and they have to pay their extremely high taxes for being a huge corporation! Hackers try to get around not paying, which is STEALING! They should be put in JAIL!

Your gonna have a hard time ever getting me to care about a giant mega corporations lost profits. Its not like Sony is gonna go bankrupt, they should take the hit, consider it a learning experience, and better luck next time.

markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 markinthedark

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

shinrabanshou

Amen, just like Sony executives. I hear they spend all their free time at the homeless shelter volunteering... and never pay themselves a dime in salary over what they need to get by. If only we could all be as saintly as high up executives at enormous global corporations.

Honestly, in the story of Robin Hood.... which character did you think was the villain?

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 bbkkristian

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]

[QUOTE="markinthedark"]

markinthedark

Your gonna have a hard time ever getting me to care about a giant mega corporations lost profits. Its not like Sony is gonna go bankrupt, they should take the hit, consider it a learning experience, and better luck next time.

So if you owned Sony, and you were losing thousands, maybe millions of dollars to hackers, you would be perfectly fine with that? They are stealing all of the games you offer on your digital store, you're just going to let them do that? Just because they are a million dollar corporation doesn't mean that money is worthless.
coltsfan4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 coltsfan4ever
Member since 2006 • 2628 Posts

Im really tired of these idiot hackers. Why would any company sit by idly and let you cost them money or consumers by doing something illegal with their product(s)? The people hacking have no excuse to use for the things they are doing. If you want to mod/hack your console for fun thats fine. But once you start using those hacks to pirate games or cause grief for online players thats just wrong. But of course some morons in here will side with the hackers for sticking it to the Man aka Sony.smh

coltsfan4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 coltsfan4ever

[QUOTE="markinthedark"]

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]

bbkkristian

So if you owned Sony, and you were losing thousands, maybe millions of dollars to hackers, you would be perfectly fine with that? They are stealing all of the games you offer on your digital store, you're just going to let them do that? Just because they are a million dollar corporation doesn't mean that money is worthless.

Of course he wouldnt be fine with that. Its just easy for somebody on the outside looking in to say the bs he saying.

telefanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 telefanatic
Member since 2007 • 3008 Posts

Im not worried about my new 160GB version, i would never even dream about modding or hacking something i get my stuff legit, thats why i work.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

That's pretty ridiculous. Isn't Sony a multinational corporation with extensive resources? I find it commendable that these people are managing to thwart Sony's plans and are continuing to give Sony trouble.

shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

[QUOTE="shinrabanshou"]

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

markinthedark

Amen, just like Sony executives. I hear they spend all their free time at the homeless shelter volunteering... and never pay themselves a dime in salary over what they need to get by. If only we could all be as saintly as high up executives at enormous global corporations.

Honestly, in the story of Robin Hood.... which character did you think was the villain?

I didn't say anything about Sony being saints, or use any other silly analogies.

I realise custom firmware may provide functions that are not present in official firmware. I'm also aware that releasing of the PS3 keys and custom firmware enables piracy and cheating, to the detriment of the games industry. I'm aware that when someone purchase hardware they own said hardware. I'm also aware that one does not own the firmware and it's only licensed. I know what's written in the DMCA. I'm assuming the vast majority of people will use these hacks for piracy, either of PS3 games or via emulators, despite that there'll be a portion of people trying to use it for actual homebrew. My impression of the mannerisms and motivations of some hackers is based on the public persona they present.

I'm capable of discerning moral grey.

And overall I think that from a utilitarian perspective the actions of George Hotz, failoverflow and others, adversely affect more people than they do benefit.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Your gonna have a hard time ever getting me to care about a giant mega corporations lost profits.

markinthedark

I think we would have a hard time getting you to care about anything other than yourself.

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 lbjkurono23

That's pretty ridiculous. Isn't Sony a multinational corporation with extensive resources? I find it commendable that these people are managing to thwart Sony's plans and are continuing to give Sony trouble.

Hexagon_777

How is it trouble when they can't do anything:? they need to get use an existing id to make it work... it's not like they can make up an id. .. and even when they use an existing one(from a newly purchased ps3 or bought refurbished) whats stopping it from being banned yet again?

coltsfan4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 coltsfan4ever

[QUOTE="coltsfan4ever"]

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"] So if you owned Sony, and you were losing thousands, maybe millions of dollars to hackers, you would be perfectly fine with that? They are stealing all of the games you offer on your digital store, you're just going to let them do that? Just because they are a million dollar corporation doesn't mean that money is worthless.AncientDozer

Of course he wouldnt be fine with that. Its just easy for somebody on the outside looking in to say the bs he saying.

What? He doesn't have to have sympathy to them. Hell, I don't feel bad for Sony. I don't feel one way or the other, honestly. This sort of thing isn't new or unique to Sony so why should I feel any more for them than, say, any other company or industry. But he is right in that they may be losing some money, but it won't destroy Sony or wound them in any serious capacity unless they make some PR nightmare out of this. Anyway, it's hard to accurately map just how much money is being lost due to piracy or hacking. So let's not pound our fists on the panic button just yet.

Did you even read what I posted??!! I never said he HAD to have sympathy for Sony. I just made that comment if he was the owner of Sony or a multi billion dollar company he wouldnt be cool with idiots costing him money. Sony,MS,Nintendo,etc... arent charities and are in the businesses they are to make money. Whether its a dollar or a million dollars.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#92 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Lol, wow.
markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 markinthedark

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="markinthedark"]

coltsfan4ever

If i owned sony that means i would be a multi billionaire.... i probably wouldnt care that much.... because i would be too busy wiping my butt with hundred dollar bills. Thats like asking if you had a million dollars, and you dropped a $10 bill.... would you care? I wouldnt. I would just be like "whoops my bad, guess ill be more careful next time" and continue having sex with a giant pile of money.

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#94 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts
Man this is going to suck if the PSN really does turn upside down from hackers. Sony should just recall all PS3's and for the ones who dont get their PS3's fixed get no PSN access. Seriously, if Sony thinks the PS3 is going to have a 10 year old life cycle, they're going to have to fix this.
Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#95 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts

[QUOTE="coltsfan4ever"]

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"] So if you owned Sony, and you were losing thousands, maybe millions of dollars to hackers, you would be perfectly fine with that? They are stealing all of the games you offer on your digital store, you're just going to let them do that? Just because they are a million dollar corporation doesn't mean that money is worthless.markinthedark

If i owned sony that means i would be a multi billionaire.... i probably wouldnt care that much.... because i would be too busy wiping my butt with hundred dollar bills. Thats like asking if you had a million dollars, and you dropped a $10 bill.... would you care? I wouldnt. I would just be like "whoops my bad, guess ill be more careful next time" and continue having sex with a giant pile of money.

C'mon man. Sony is offering a product that millions of people are interested in and willing to spend money on it. Why are you so against a company for offering a product?
Mrmccormo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Mrmccormo

Hexagon_777
What part of this story didn't you read? The part where a hacker has to acquire a new, legit console ID to be unbanned from PSN (only to have that new console ID banned again), or the part where the only way to get this ID is to either buy a new, unbanned PS3 or to somehow convince someone to give you theirs?
coltsfan4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 coltsfan4ever

[QUOTE="coltsfan4ever"]

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"] So if you owned Sony, and you were losing thousands, maybe millions of dollars to hackers, you would be perfectly fine with that? They are stealing all of the games you offer on your digital store, you're just going to let them do that? Just because they are a million dollar corporation doesn't mean that money is worthless.markinthedark

Sure man. Sure you wouldnt care.:roll: So you wouldnt care that the customers who contributed to you having those millions are getting screwed over by some people who just want to cause chaos?

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]That's pretty ridiculous. Isn't Sony a multinational corporation with extensive resources? I find it commendable that these people are managing to thwart Sony's plans and are continuing to give Sony trouble.lbjkurono23
How is it trouble when they can't do anything:? they need to get use an existing id to make it work... it's not like they can make up an id. .. and even when they use an existing one(from a newly purchased ps3 or bought refurbished) whats stopping it from being banned yet again?

What? These people are ubanning themselves, are they not?