PS5 to be backwards compatable with most of all PS4 games(Update)

• 97 results
R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/03/ps5_backwards_compatibility_will_play_overwhelming_majority_of_all_ps4_games_improved_framerates_and_higher_resolutions_on_playstation_5

Apparently with improved resolution and framerates.

I'm feeling better now!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69492 Posts

" ...potentially higher resolutions".

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@r-gamer: The question is when.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

LMAO so you can't play ALL your PS4/Ps3/PS2 games?

Garbage

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56115 Posts

Feel free to let me know if this is the full PS5 BC:

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

Only idiots thought it wouldn't work with all games as Mark Cerny never said it was just 100 games....

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61486 Posts

Yeah, shit out of luck on anything pre-PS4.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

Lol at BC!!!

Never managed to understand what the fuss is all about...

Keep your hardware dammiiiittt!!!

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

@sovkhan: This isn't 2002 anymore

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61486 Posts

@sovkhan said:

Lol at BC!!!

No thanks. I own a one-bed condo and space is a premium. I'd much prefer a solid BC option.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Pretty damn disappointing that it's just PS4.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45122 Posts

@FLOPPAGE_50 said:

Garbage

Let's be real here.. it's been 7 years since last gen ended. How many people still playing on their ps3 and PS2 systems lol.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@davillain-: I have no idea.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@sovkhan said:

Lol at BC!!!

Hi!!!

I'd rather not have to mess with various systems and controllers when I just feel like playing a game.....

It's nice and convenient to have access to your past library on newer hardware!!!!

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

""The manufacturer says that it's "already tested hundreds of titles and are preparing to test thousands more as we move toward launch"".

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

But but but only 100 games. This is what I was telling some here,oh and boosted see .

So keep jumping the guns lemmings.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:
@sovkhan said:

Lol at BC!!!

Hi!!!

I'd rather not have to mess with various systems and controllers when I just feel like playing a game.....

It's nice and convenient to have access to your past library on newer hardware!!!!

So what you're saying is you're one lazy SOB? :)

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10447 Posts

@sovkhan said:

Lol at BC!!!

legitimises digital on consoles innit

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BlackShirt20
Member since 2005 • 2631 Posts

@tormentos: No report on PS3, PS2 or PS1 games. They are all locked behind a paywall. I still play Original Xbox and Xbox 360 games regularly. You’re trying to brag about something that should be standard.

People are not mocking PS5 for its inferior hardware. We are mocking it’s attempt at BC because it should just be expected and guaranteed. But it’s not. Instead you’re pounding your chest over a few games tested right now. But, if you wanna play your old games? Sony is gonna Force you to pay them. I’m gonna laugh if Sony resells PS5 owners The Last Of Us 2.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@blueinheaven said:

Well yeah, there's that part too.

But yeah man. Don't like keeping a bunch of old systems hooked up. Don't like dragging one out every time I feel like playing an older game.

It's one of the many reasons why I prefer PC these days.

Bums me out that my phat PS3 went tits up a few years back, loved having 3 systems in one.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22377 Posts

Lol... yet another thing that XsX will be better at.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 R-Gamer

@BlackShirt20: They said they expect almost the entire library to work. What are you talking about?

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sovkhan

@Macutchi:

Keep that s*** out of my way!!!

Physical is my mantra!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@FLOPPAGE_50 said:

Garbage

Let's be real here.. it's been 7 years since last gen ended. How many people still playing on their ps3 and PS2 systems lol.

That's pretty funny coming from a guy who has a pic of an OLD game in his sig lol.

I was playing Alan Wake American Nightmare on my X last night, its good to have that option of not having to use my 360. Do I use BC a lot? no but at least I have that option.

Besides you cows keep saying Sony is pro consumer, well they haven't been pro consumer since they started winning again.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 robert_sparkes  Online
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

I wouldn't have minded some of the ps3 library mostly Killzone 2 and 3 and the resistance series. But not a big problem if there are a decent mix of ps4 at launch.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:
@blueinheaven said:

Well yeah, there's that part too.

But yeah man. Don't like keeping a bunch of old systems hooked up. Don't like dragging one out every time I feel like playing an older game.

It's one of the many reasons why I prefer PC these days.

Bums me out that my phat PS3 went tits up a few years back, loved having 3 systems in one.

Dude I'm only messing with you I totally get where you're coming from. For me I'm only worried about BC for PS4 since I've bought a ton of stuff on PSN (mostly JRPG's) that I know I am absolutely definitely going to get round to playing one of these days. Possibly.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sovkhan

@BlackShirt20:

You must be one of your kind then...

Most people buy new consoles to play new gen titles.

So while BC may be a plus in the beginning of a gen it's a waste of resources as far as i'm concerned.

And nowhere near as important as many try to convince us.

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BlackShirt20

@r-gamer: Not guaranteed. And again, BC with only one generation of PlayStation. That’s not full BC.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10447 Posts
@sovkhan said:

@Macutchi:

Keep that s*** out of my way!!!

Physical is my mantra!!!

amen brother. i like my games like i like my women. kept in a box until i want to play with them

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 R-Gamer

@BlackShirt20: I would enjoy BC with All PS titles but I think pretty much all PS4 games will be... if anything has issues it's probably PSVR stuff.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Still disappointing. The update never specified when exactly will all the titles be working. It still sounds like it’s going to be rolled out.

It’s all or nothing out of the box or fail in my eyes.

And in Cerny’s presentation it was devs this and devs that. Did they ask consumers what they want? Devs will come if there is a user base. Bending over for Devs who will turn on Sony and make multiplats doesn’t help them really.

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BlackShirt20

@sovkhan: Well that obviously is not true. You either want BC or you don’t. You cannot sit there with a straight face and say most people only want to have next generation games and say you only want BC early on.

I still play Knights Of The Old Republic. I still play Fable. I still play some of my favorite 360 games become some of those franchises are no more or that is the only way to play. That is the only way to play some of my favorite games without moving hardware around. My PS3 doesn’t work anymore. So to play any of my PS catalog I need to pay for games I already own. It’s stupid.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

@sovkhan said:

Lol at BC!!!

Its not just about keeping your old hardware. Some want to experience games like BB, GoW, TLOU2, Ghost of Sushi on a stable 60fps, non dynamic resolution and possibly higher fidelity visuals. Being this far into the 8th generation, i don't even want to "waste" titles such as TLOU2 on my underpowered piece of plastic known as the ps4.

faponte13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 faponte13
Member since 2013 • 263 Posts

@Ghost120x: I'm pretty sure there is gonna be that 1 xbox one game that glitches out on the xsx. Will you be upset and return your xsx?

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: I still play my 360 often as Ridge Racer 6 never went BC for my X1. And even if it did, I doubt it would carry over my saves.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

PC again wins in backwards compatible although I do enjoy my PS4 but PC will always be better especially in this department.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

@SolidGame_basic: I still play my 360 often as Ridge Racer 6 never went BC for my X1. And even if it did, I doubt it would carry over my saves.

Yeah it would carry over the saves as I have played a game I finished on the 360 that went BC and all saves were there when I play it on the XB1.

The bigger question is why are you playing shit like Ridge Racer 6, I wouldn't wish that game on my worst enemy, well actually I would LOL.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@BlackShirt20 said:

@tormentos: No report on PS3, PS2 or PS1 games. They are all locked behind a paywall. I still play Original Xbox and Xbox 360 games regularly. You’re trying to brag about something that should be standard.

People are not mocking PS5 for its inferior hardware. We are mocking it’s attempt at BC because it should just be expected and guaranteed. But it’s not. Instead you’re pounding your chest over a few games tested right now. But, if you wanna play your old games? Sony is gonna Force you to pay them. I’m gonna laugh if Sony resells PS5 owners The Last Of Us 2.

So are all the games that not suported on xbox one,you talk as if the xbox one was 100% compatible with the xbox 360 and xbox,is not even close,the rest don't work so buy a 360 or xbox.

By the way nice deflection after been owned..lol

Oh gamepass is a charge to play service and it has xbox 360 and original xbox games,so effectively you are paying for 360 and xbox games,have a nice time spining that one.

Yeah when you show me how the xbox 360 and xbox one were compatible since launch with all the previous gen then you will have a point,other wise you are just shedding tears as always.

😂

@i_p_daily said:

That's pretty funny coming from a guy who has a pic of an OLD game in his sig lol.

I was playing Alan Wake American Nightmare on my X last night, its good to have that option of not having to use my 360. Do I use BC a lot? no but at least I have that option.

Besides you cows keep saying Sony is pro consumer, well they haven't been pro consumer since they started winning again.

Oh please stop the damn hypocricy the only reason you lemmings lobby for BC is because sony drop it,and MS got some broke shit one,in fact you can't downplay the PS5 one when the xbox one sucked 10 times more, it started 2 years after launch with few games and most of those games were indies and arcade games,most of the big games were not even supported.

If you want to know how BC was done right look at sony who had a BC consoles before MS even enter the damn market in 2001,oh and the PS3 2 complete generations of games,total hardware based BC nothing outside PC was even close,and lemmings didn't care the xbox 360 BC was total shit again with only some few games,and to make things worse you need it a damn HDD when MS use to sell a damn unit without HDD,so if you had a core 360 you could not even play xbox games on your 360 that shitty it was.

Sony dropped it,nintendo dropped it and both scorch the xbox sales wise,sony included it now because of preasure for fanboys.

Hell the xbox one is not even BC with the xbox or xbox 360,you download a damn digital copy of anygame that is supported,is not even BC per say you are not physically playing the game from the disc,and if you don't have internet yeah you have zero BC on xbox one.

@BlackShirt20 said:

@r-gamer: Not guaranteed. And again, BC with only one generation of PlayStation. That’s not full BC.

The xbox series X is not fully compatible with the xbox and xbox 360 buffoon.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56115 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@FLOPPAGE_50 said:

Garbage

Now that's just a ridiculous statement coming from you! I still play both PS2/3 whenever a game hasn't been ported to PC or no remake has been made. Trust me, I still like to go back and play Heavenly Sword, Haze, (guilty pleasure) Killzone 2, and even Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. PS2 for classic games. BC is more important then you think. PS5 could've had such a badass BC.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@sovkhan said:

@BlackShirt20:

You must be one of your kind then...

Most people buy new consoles to play new gen titles.

So while BC may be a plus in the beginning of a gen it's a waste of resources as far as i'm concerned.

And nowhere near as important as many try to convince us.

Sony's AMD selection for PS4 and PS5 includes low-cost BC consideration.

PS5's BC issue is a software problem while MS has the entire Hyper V software resources.

With the Rosetta style software translation** technology, PS5 CPU's 896 GFLOPS is more than enough compute power to emulate PS3.

**Combines JIT (just in time) re-compiler with static translation (save to disk) tricks.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@tormentos said:
@i_p_daily said:

Oh please stop the damn hypocricy the only reason you lemmings lobby for BC is because sony drop it,and MS got some broke shit one,in fact you can't downplay the PS5 one when the xbox one sucked 10 times more, it started 2 years after launch with few games and most of those games were indies and arcade games,most of the big games were not even supported.

If you want to know how BC was done right look at sony who had a BC consoles before MS even enter the damn market in 2001,oh and the PS3 2 complete generations of games,total hardware based BC nothing outside PC was even close,and lemmings didn't care the xbox 360 BC was total shit again with only some few games,and to make things worse you need it a damn HDD when MS use to sell a damn unit without HDD,so if you had a core 360 you could not even play xbox games on your 360 that shitty it was.

Sony dropped it,nintendo dropped it and both scorch the xbox sales wise,sony included it now because of preasure for fanboys.

Hell the xbox one is not even BC with the xbox or xbox 360,you download a damn digital copy of anygame that is supported,is not even BC per say you are not physically playing the game from the disc,and if you don't have internet yeah you have zero BC on xbox one.

Why the artificial separation between game consoles and micro-computers when game consoles are also micro-computers?

MS supported PC/MS-DOS abstraction layer + PC/MS-DOS command-line and ROM based MS Basic command-line interface since the original IBM PC before any Japanese micro-computer vendor entered the market.

Intel and Microsoft supported and respected BC before Sony! This is why I hate Motorola (kitbashing 68K instruction set which broke legacy software) and IBM PowerPC (fuking supervisor instruction set keeps changing).

MSX standard is Microsoft's entry into the 8bit gaming micro-computers market before Sony's PS1.

MSX standard has MS Basic command line and MS defined hardware specifications which include a games cartridge slot.

Commodore VIC-20/64/128's command-line OS is MS Basic LOL.

MS Basic command line was licensed to many 8 bit/16 bit micro-computer vendors with different hardware.

MSX standard is MS's attempt to commoditize various MS Basic based machines into a single MS standard. Note the letter "X" in MSX which is later reused for Xbox** and DirectX brandings.

**Xbox's DirectX has Direct9.X, DirectX11.X and DirectX12.X variants from PC's DirectX 9a/b/c, DirectX11.1/11.2/11.3 and 'etc'.

MS's "X" letter usage is consistent since 1980s. MS Basic was Bill Gate's software project and He governed Microsoft from its start to January 2000. Bill Gates was involved with the original Xbox. My point, the letter "X" branding has been used with MS's products for years.

After MSX, read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_Hombre_chipset Commodore-Amiga's PA-7150 RISC CPU selection has Windows NT qualification (MIP R3000 CPU wasn't qualified for Windows NT), hence Amiga CD64 game console would be Windows NT PA-RISC + SGI OpenGL capable. This is during Sony's PS1 era. Commodore went bust in 1994 and MS found another hardware partner with Sega. Sega exited hardware business which force MS to create its own Xbox hardware.

HP's PA-RISC CPU later evolved into Intel Itanium CPU. Intel Itanium can run both PA-RISC HP UX legacy apps and X86-32. AMD64 (X86-64) killed Itanium. If Commodore-Amiga was still alive, Commodore would end up with AMD64 CPU. Also, key engineers from HP RISC CPU R&D and AMD Taiwan created a business called NVIDIA in 1993.

Amiga Hombre's 3D chipset is based on HP's PA-RISC IP with licensed SGI OpenGL API compatibility. Commodore also has plans to enter the Windows NT OpenGL compatible accelerator market and offer PCI OpenGL card for the PC market. HP and Commodore was involved with Amiga's AAA chipset and Hombre_chipset

The concept of Windows NT with 3D accelerator game console has existed since the early 1990s.

PS; Commodore was ATI's 1st large OEM customer.

Commodore's Windows NT with RISC CPU and API 3D acceleration gaming PC concept continued to present-day Windows 10 (modern X86 CPUs has RISC internal cores with X86 decoder/HW translators).

I'll take you on old man.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 R-Gamer

Most the PS3 games I really enjoyed have been remastered. Theres about 7 games that haven't that I wish would get a remaster.

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BlackShirt20

@tormentos: You’re not intelligent at all. Stop letting your ego type post for you. PS5 is no where close to BC. Only games Sony allows from one generation. Xbox doesn’t have that issue. Fact.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@i_p_daily: I like it, sue me. Imo, there is no better drift racing game in existence - not even the sequels that came after 6.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1348 Posts

I play a lot of my old PS3 and PS2 games (even some PS1) so I was really hoping for full BC or atleast back to ps3.

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

Teh cell can't be reprogrammed into the PS5?

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SolidGame_basic  Online

@BlackShirt20 said:

@tormentos: You’re not intelligent at all. Stop letting your ego type post for you. PS5 is no where close to BC. Only games Sony allows from one generation. Xbox doesn’t have that issue. Fact.

What exactly is so exciting about Xbox's BC? The Xbox One doesn't have any exclusives.. all of the first party games are coming to PC. So what exactly is left? Obscure games from generations ago that 98% of people don't care about? lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
deactivated-60c3d23d2738e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
Member since 2009 • 3934 Posts

@sovkhan said:

Lol at BC!!!

I want my older games at better framerates and higher rez. Like Xbox does.

Avatar image for deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
deactivated-60c3d23d2738e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
Member since 2009 • 3934 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:
@BlackShirt20 said:

What exactly is so exciting about Xbox's BC? The Xbox One doesn't have any exclusives.. all of the first party games are coming to PC. So what exactly is left? Obscure games from generations ago that 98% of people don't care about? lol.

What is so exiting about PS4 exclusives? NOT.ONE.THING! Except Until Dawn and TLOU.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SolidGame_basic  Online

@sleepnsurf said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@BlackShirt20 said:

What is so exiting about PS4 exclusives? NOT.ONE.THING! Except Until Dawn and TLOU.

You just contradicted yourself. #self-pwnage

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 sovkhan

@sleepnsurf:

Good to you, I don't care!!!

And most don't outside of this forum so....