PS4 Sells 322k Units In Japan

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

I guess it didn't bomb

http://remoon.blog15.fc2.com/blog-entry-29519.html

PS4 Two Day Sales in Japan (Famitsu): 322,083

1998.11.27 [Sega Dreamcast] (¥29.800) - 101.490 (3 days)

2000.03.04 [Sony PlayStation 2] (¥39.800) - 630.552 (2 days)

2001.09.14 [Nintendo GameCube] (¥25.000) - 133.719 (3 days)

2002.02.22 [Microsoft XBox] (¥34.800) - 123.929 (3 days)

2005.12.10 [Microsoft XBox 360] (¥29.000 / ¥39.795) - 62.135 (2 days)

2006.11.11 [Sony PlayStation 3] (¥49.980 / ¥59.980) - 88.443 (2 days)

2006.12.02 [Nintendo Wii] (¥25.000) - 371.936 (2 days)

2012.12.08 [Nintendo Wii U] (¥26.250 / ¥31.500) - 308.570 (2 days)

XxSpitzerXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 XxSpitzerXx
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Considering what it sold in America in 24 hours and that Japan is Sony's home turf I wouldn't call that a huge success either...

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#3 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

Well from what I know, the gamers in Japan are more interested in handheld gaming so it's not surprising that didn't sell much.

Soul4Survivor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Soul4Survivor
Member since 2013 • 175 Posts

Nice number for just two days.

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

@xxspitzerxx said:

Considering what it sold in America in 24 hours and that Japan is Sony's home turf I wouldn't call that a huge success either...

Japan is a much smaller console market.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

@xxspitzerxx said:

"home turf" /eyeroll

Don't know much about the Japanese market do you? They don't do consoles like we do as much as they used to. A lot of Japanese have moved onto mobile devices or handheld devices vs buying large consoles.

Not to mention the damn thing is still brand spanking new there. It will take time to get adopted.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Pretty good. Nothing worth having a meltdown over for anyone.

Avatar image for XenogearsMaster
XenogearsMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By XenogearsMaster
Member since 2007 • 3175 Posts

That's pretty good. It's close to the Wii U first 2 day sales.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

I looked at the PS4 games that would release in japan in the next couple of months and it's really barren.It's as bad as the current wiiu software support.I don't even know if the ps4 can continue to sell well with poor software support like that in the next couple of months.The PS4 sold pretty decently for a launch console.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@me3x12 said:

The PS4 has no freaking games and have weak games coming in the future also even Japs know this.

The PS4 actually has quite a few games, a simple google search would have told you that. Now you just look silly.

Also, is it actually okay to refer to them as "japs"? unless we traveled back to 1941

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

@super600 said:

I looked at the PS4 games that would release in japan in the next couple of months and it's really barren.It's as bad as the current wiiu software support.I don't even know if the ps4 can continue to sell well with poor software support like that in the next couple of months.The PS4 sold pretty decently for a launch console.

It's selling well "worldwide" and the software lineup is weak there also.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@lostrib said:

Also, is it actually okay to refer to them as "japs"? unless we traveled back to 1941

No, it is not. It's been deleted, and it'd be great if it did not happen again.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@Sweenix said:

@super600 said:

Worldwide has plenty of multiplat games support for PS4. CoD, BF4, Fifa and Ass Creed were good enough for the west and Europe but AFAIK a lot of these western multiplat games don't even get a Japanese release because there is no market for them. That's the reason for the delayed launch in Japan: Their PS4 launch games were tailored for that region. Yakuza, Dynasty Warriors and Nobunaga’s Ambition were there launch games. Saying there is nothing for them is not the same as saying there is nothing for worldwide: the lineups are really different

I wonder how much Titanfall would have helped with their affection with mechs.. It had a lot of attention at TGS iirc

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Not a massive success like the PS2 but still a decent launch. Japan is handheld land now

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

@Sweenix said:

@super600 said:

Japan isn't a sucker to fancy hardware like the EU and NA audience.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

@xxspitzerxx said:

It's probably about what they expected. No Japan-style games available at launch.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@xxspitzerxx said:

dude, those are crazy numbers! The PS4's not only selling much faster than the PS2 but the thing it that it's gonna sell in just a couple of months what took both the PS3 and X360 to sell in a year!

incuensuocha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 incuensuocha
Member since 2009 • 1514 Posts

The combined populations of the US and Canada is roughly 350 million. The population of Japan is just over 125 million. Now the PS4 sold about a million the first 24 hours in the US and Canada combined. We don't know what It sold in 48 hours, but it's likely that by day two there were very few PS4s left from the first day rush. So if Japan sold 322k during their first 48 hours, then the sales per capita of the North American and Japanese launches are actually not that disproportionate. I'd say the Japanese launch is actually going better than some people here realize.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Nothing resembling the PS2s launch numbers, but it seems like Japan just isn't the place or home consoles, anymore. Seems like a shame, really. The big epic graphical powerhouse JRPGs seemed to go right out the door with the market. Anyways, not a terrible number, either. The people saying PS4 was doomed in Japan were clearly wrong.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I never thought it was doomed in Japan.

I did know over the last decade Japan's market shifted towards handhelds and phones, but if anything, for two days and looking at the comparisons provided by the OP everything is much sunnier. It's a small nation, and considering the tastes, it's surprising the PS4 is doing as good as it is. Next up, more eastern developed and high quality games. Right now the machine is very western in terms of high quality software.

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

Pretty MEH numbers not great but not disaster either.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

I thought beforehand 300k was the minimum number to pleased with and they surpassed that. Also reading they only shipped around 350k so pretty good and inline with Sony's expectations.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

Great numbers. I knew it wouldn't do PS2 numbers but it did great regardless. Nice to see the PS4 selling great everywhere. LOL @ the lems that were hoping it would flop.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@SolidTy said:

I did know over the last decade Japan's market shifted towards handhelds and phones, but if anything, for two days and looking at the comparisons provided by the OP everything is much sunnier. It's a small nation, and considering the tastes, it's surprising the PS4 is doing as good as it is. Next up, more eastern developed and high quality games. Right now the machine is very western in terms of high quality software.

If by Eastern you mean Polish, Ukraine and Russian, etc. - then YES! They deserve huge operating budgets. The Japanese on the other hand - DON'T EVEN NEED THEM LET ALONE HAVE IMAGINATION TO USE THEM. There I threw my 2 zlotys.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

@incuensuocha said:

The combined populations of the US and Canada is roughly 350 million. The population of Japan is just over 125 million. Now the PS4 sold about a million the first 24 hours in the US and Canada combined. We don't know what It sold in 48 hours, but it's likely that by day two there were very few PS4s left from the first day rush. So if Japan sold 322k during their first 48 hours, then the sales per capita of the North American and Japanese launches are actually not that disproportionate. I'd say the Japanese launch is actually going better than some people here realize.

Pretty much this.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Seems a bit low

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@SolidTy said:

If by Eastern you mean Polish, Ukraine and Russian, etc. - then YES! They deserve huge operating budgets. The Japanese on the other hand - DON'T EVEN NEED THEM LET ALONE HAVE IMAGINATION TO USE THEM. There I threw my 2 zlotys.

I was speaking what they need in Japan to continue the current momentum...but to answer, I'll say... I'll take both. :)

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Yeah those are actually pretty good numbers... Funny how people who said it wouldn't sell in Japan are back-peddling. 2 day totals in a much smaller console market and a country with about a third of the US population.

if you tripled the amount of people who live there and triple the sales then their 2 day sales would have been nearly a million... just to put things in perspective.

If you cut the population of the US by two thirds we would have sold 333k units in 24 hours. So, 322k in 48 hours? Pretty damn good.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

@incuensuocha said:

I just saw you posted this after I posted... beat me to it... lol

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

Japan is a much different market, the system will probably sell more on the release of a new MGS or FF. You see large spikes in system sales on the release of certain games. While in the case of NA you see large spikes in sales usually having to do with Price drops are special bundles.

Regardless that would make it the third most successful launch in Japanese history when it comes to consoles so that's not to bad. Especially considering the market has become almost irrelevant.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

@Sweenix: ok, it had average sales then. is that good enough for you? or do you have more DC and spinning you want to show us?

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Not as bad as what people made it out to be.. thats over 300k to add to the 5.3 million worldwide, shouldnt take too long to hit 6 million maybe in the next day or so

iwasgood2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 iwasgood2u
Member since 2009 • 831 Posts

If ps4 shapes like boobs and asses they would have bought it. Also come out with the hentai theme console . Would have sold millions in japan

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#36 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

So it's just as successful as Wii U!

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@xxspitzerxx said:

Look at the wii just 49k more and it was a success in japan,so 322k is more than good especially when the PS3 sold 88k and sold more than 7 million in Japan,the days of ultra high sales in japan are over the gaming community have change there more to portables,also it should be easy for the PS4 to over take the PS3.

@tymeservesfate said:

@Sweenix: ok, it had average sales then. is that good enough for you? or do you have more DC and spinning you want to show us?

It sold more than 3 times what the PS3 sold,and 49K short of the wii which was the last gen winner in Japan,so yeah it should surpass the PS3 without problems,now we wait to see if one day the xbox one hit japan..hahaha

Good enough numbers lets wait until MS launch so we can compare...lol

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

This is neither low enough or high enough to be sufficient for entertainment value. Harumph.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#40 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Surprising, indeed. I'm curious to see the software chart and see what games they purchased considering the library is heavily western oriented.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Good numbers consider the size of Japan!

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

Better than expected. It's definitely off to a good start. There is no hell of hope for the Xbone though as those numbers are still pretty low. Better than expected, but low.

Avatar image for quakeknight1991
quakeknight1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By quakeknight1991
Member since 2006 • 1528 Posts

It might not be an amazing number but they its still good or atleast it had much better sales than the PS3 which only sold 88k in Japan in the same time period. And on top of that according to neogaf the inital shipment was of 350k which means they sold nearly the entire of the initial shipment already and it also means that reaching the amazing 650k sales the ps2 did on launch was not only impossible due to the current state of the japanese console market but it also was physically impossible since there is not enough stock in the first place. So yeah overall I say they are pretty solid numbers.

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

Surprising, indeed. I'm curious to see the software chart and see what games they purchased considering the library is heavily western oriented.

From what I have been reading in neogaf, the best selling games were Yakuza:Ishin, Battlefield 4 and Killzone Shadowfall

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

That's 322k more than the Xbone has sold in Japan...

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

absolutely amazing for sony. they shipped 350k and sold 320, just stunning. sony on ball this gen

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Kinda meh numbers, not stunning not awful.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#47 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

absolutely amazing for sony. they shipped 350k and sold 320, just stunning. sony on ball this gen

Actually not all that amazing, especially considering even the Wii U had a similar launch

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

Another stunning victory for the quad, but when you're driven by the by gamers for gamers mantra, people notice.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02/23/ps4-the-first-sales-data-from-japan-is-in-from-major-retailer-ps4-games-do-well-but-ps3-is-on-top/

Like every Monday the major Japanese retail and rental chain Tsutaya released its weekly sales charts, that are usually considered an interesting glimpse on what the Media Create charts will look like on Wednesday, since Tsutaya has a very large number of stores scattered across the whole country:

1. Yakuza Ishin – PS3
  2. Yakuza Ishin – PS4
  3. Dragon Quest Monsters 2 – 3DS
  4. Miracles to Victory – Kuroko no Basketball – 3DS
  5. Killzone: Shadow Fall – PS4
  6. Yokai Watch – 3DS
  7. Battlefield 4 – PS4
  8. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze – Wii U
  9. Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends – PS4
  10. Kirby Triple Deluxe – 3DS
  11. Pazudora Z – 3DS
  12. Puyo Pyuo Tetris – 3DS
  13. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition – PS4
  14. Call of Duty: Ghosts – PS4
  15. Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag – PS4
  16. FIFA 14 – PS4
  17. A Train 3D – 3DS
  18. Sengoku Basara 4 – PS3
  19. Grand Theft Auto V – PS3
  20. Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme VS. Full Boost – PS3

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Actually not all that amazing, especially considering even the Wii U had a similar launch

you gotta put it perspective though, the wii u launched during holiday season with a mario game available at launch. the ps4 launched in late february with no real appealing japanese software aside from yakuza. so yeah, this a pretty damn good success. only 2 other consoles have beat this launch, the ps2 and the wii, and the wii only by 50k. to say this isn't an amazing launch considering the factors i previously mentioned is ludicrous.