PS4 NEO has eight x86 ‘ZEN Lite’ LP cores.

• 96 results
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44195 Posts

I can't hardly wait to buy one and make a thread saying to all those cows Awaiting greatness for 3 years and got burned...

My PS4 Neo > Your PS Bore. lol :P

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#52 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

I no I went off on one when the news came out but instead of buying a £1500 PC I might go for this instead and give my PS4 now to my brother. With the spare cash I could buy all games instead.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

I figure I can probably sell my PS4 for a decent amount near the end of summer, go a few months without it and just use that money to pay for at least half of a PS4 Neo so it doesn't seem too expensive. I'm guessing this will be the more expensive console around $500.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@ronvalencia said:

From http://vrworld.com/2016/05/11/amd-confirms-sony-playstation-neo-based-zen-polaris/

The new 14nm FinFET APU consists out of eight x86 ‘Zen Lite’ LP cores at 2.1 GHz (they’re not Jaguar cores, as previously rumored) and a Polaris GPU, operating on 15-20% faster clock than the original PS4.

"ZEN Lite" reminds me of K7 Duron vs K7 Athlon i.e. perhaps L2 cache is reduced and L3 cache is reduced/removed.

AMD ZEN CPU core has SMT,.... perhaps PS4 NEO's "ZEN Lite" has SMT disabled.

With 20 percent clock speed increase for GPU i.e. 960 Mhz and 36 CU yields 4.4 TFLOPS.

So I was right when I said the PS4 would perform similar to an AMD 280x.

Nice to see that. It's around the ballpark of a 7970.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 RyviusARC

@tormentos said:
@Juub1990 said:

@Syn_Valence: Yeah for example AC Unity had a huge issues which large crowds which were heavily dependent on the CPU. As a result the console versions had major dips in the frame rate and the PS4 even with its faster GPU had trouble because the source of the performance drop was the CPU.

If they had a faster CPU, it could have operated to be up to par with the GPU and gave a higher and smoother performance.

It wasn't the CPU the problem,stated by Ubisoft them self,the game was freaking screw up even on PC.

In fact Ubisoft claimed that it lower the number of units on screen and the problem was still there,and then the game was 900p which will not give you faster frames if the issue is really CPU oriented.

The same crap was say about the witcher 3 and people like you here claimed it was the CPU and claim the xbox one version was faster because it had a faster CPU which ended being a lie.

ACU was a screw up game hold back by the 3rd party it self to avoid arguments and stuff by their own words,reality is i am sure MS payed for the game to be faster on xbox one,after all MS bough from Ubisof like 4 million copies of ACU and ACBF as well,which were bundle free on holiday 2014.

In fact the xbox one version at times was more than 6 frames ahead of the PS4,when there is no fu**ing way that you will win 6 FPS or more on a 150mhz CPU difference even less using that shitty jaguar.

If you used FXAA instead of MSAA Unity ran well on PC.

I played it when it first came out and at max settings at 2560x1440 I was getting over 60fps and into the 70s and 80s.

You can check the date on my video.

Loading Video...

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@RyviusARC: Yeah from what I remember Unity was unstable and glitchy but performance was not particularly bad unless you were playing online.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@RyviusARC said:

If you used FXAA instead of MSAA Unity ran well on PC.

I played it when it first came out and at max settings at 2560x1440 I was getting over 60fps and into the 70s and 80s.

You can check the date on my video.

Loading Video...

Yes and you were running 970 in SLI,which in nothing represent what most people on PC have you are basically brute forcing your way into good performance.

http://www.pcgamer.com/ubisoft-acknowledges-assassins-creed-unity-problems-on-amd-hardware/

@RyviusARC said:

How the fu** you will get that from what he is posting.?

So basically if this is true the PS4 will have 8 cores 16 threads at 2.1ghz,now it has 8 cores 8 thread 1.6ghz, while not all 8 are use for games,7 of those are now in this moment being use for games,so that mean the PS4 Neo getting 7 core 14 threads at 2.1ghz which will be enough to not loose performance using that polaris GPU which at 1440p can run hitman at 60FPS.

Basically if this CPU holds up the whole issue about CPU would not even be a thing to question any more,consoles are more efficient on CPU usage than PC,which most developer tend to brute force things rather than optimize them.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@RyviusARC said:
@ronvalencia said:

From http://vrworld.com/2016/05/11/amd-confirms-sony-playstation-neo-based-zen-polaris/

The new 14nm FinFET APU consists out of eight x86 ‘Zen Lite’ LP cores at 2.1 GHz (they’re not Jaguar cores, as previously rumored) and a Polaris GPU, operating on 15-20% faster clock than the original PS4.

"ZEN Lite" reminds me of K7 Duron vs K7 Athlon i.e. perhaps L2 cache is reduced and L3 cache is reduced/removed.

AMD ZEN CPU core has SMT,.... perhaps PS4 NEO's "ZEN Lite" has SMT disabled.

With 20 percent clock speed increase for GPU i.e. 960 Mhz and 36 CU yields 4.4 TFLOPS.

Polaris has another 30 percent performance increase from architectural improvements.

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/amd_has_two_polaris_gpus_coming_this_year/1

Staff from the Radeon Technology Group did admit that the bulk of the efficiency improvements that we will see with AMD's newest GPUs will come from the so-called "FinFET Advantage", with PCPER stating that is is "on the order of a 70/30 split".

R9-380X at 1020 Mhz(4.177 TFLOPS) has beaten R9-280X(7979 GE) IceQ (base 1000Mhz/4.096 TFLOPS, boost 1050Mhz/4.3 TFLOPS).

Polaris 10 36 at 960 Mhz is the faster GCN over R9-380X 1020Mhz OC and R9-280X OC.

R9-290 has 947 Mhz with 40 CU yields 4.848 TFLOPS.

PC's Polaris 10 36 CU at 1050 Mhz yields 4.838 TFLOPS.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By RyviusARC

Calling it PS4 Neo will be around 280x performance and not 390.

Got to wait a while but I will bookmark this thread for later use.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 tormentos

@RyviusARC said:

Based on what exactly.?

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#61 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

*shrugs shoulders*

I'm still pretty happy with my launch PS4. It's running Uncharted 4 great, so I can't really complain.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 tormentos

@SecretPolice said:

I can't hardly wait to buy one and make a thread saying to all those cows Awaiting greatness for 3 years and got burned...

You don't have to wait,just buy a new 3DS and tell that to older 3DS owners.. :P

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By ronvalencia

@RyviusARC said:

Polaris 10 36 CU at 960 Mhz (4.4TFLOPS) or 911Mhz (4.2 TFLOPS) should be faster than R9-380X at 1020 Mhz OC (4.1 TFLOPS).

R9-280X/7970 GE is gimped by 3 GB VRAM.

Polaris 10's goal is PC's "VR Ready"

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44195 Posts

@tormentos said:
@SecretPolice said:

You don't have to wait,just buy a new 3DS and tell that to older 3DS owners.. :P

:) lol That's a good one but I've just never got too much into handhelds but I like the where you're going with that. :P

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#65 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

@doom456_ said:

@dotWithShoes: No but i really love how people still think this is gonna be anything more than a slim version with 4k video support & smaller chipset.

I keep hearing people talk about about how great its going to be, I'm gonna laugh so much when they announce it just as you say.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

@StrongBlackVine said:
@doom456_ said:

@dotWithShoes: No but i really love how people still think this is gonna be anything more than a slim version with 4k video support & smaller chipset.

People that know a LOT more than you know about the what is going on behind the scenes believe it.

Like you?

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

But teh cell was supposed to cure cancer, what happened to that? Any chance of that returning?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

@zeeshanhaider said:

But teh cell was supposed to cure cancer, what happened to that? Any chance of that returning?

Anything is better than the jaguar...... At least they will be able to feed the new gpu better.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 zeeshanhaider

@04dcarraher said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

Anything is better than the jaguar...... At least they will be able to feed the new gpu better.

Haha......no!

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

@silversix_ said:

Im sick n tired of hearing good news from Sony

LMAO SDC, baby

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Day one get!

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By 04dcarraher

@zeeshanhaider said:
@04dcarraher said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

Haha......no!

sure it will

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 zeeshanhaider

@04dcarraher said:
@zeeshanhaider said:
@04dcarraher said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

Haha......no!

sure it will

Never in the million years.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 04dcarraher

@zeeshanhaider said:

Now your just trollin. At least its a fact and not some fanboy hyping and in denial.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 zeeshanhaider

@04dcarraher said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

Now your just trollin. At least its a fact and not some fanboy hyping and in denial.

Well, clock speed isn't the only factor here. The cell will suck compare to Jaguar at pretty much everything, I doubt it will even be able to feed the GPU properly with everything involve.

Avatar image for deactivated-580ca9753ab29
deactivated-580ca9753ab29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 deactivated-580ca9753ab29
Member since 2016 • 73 Posts

So what? its probably just a slim with gpu boost to help with 4k video or mainly the PSVR. It's really no different to when the slim psp models had twice the ram when compared to old fat models. It's becoming more telling since the ram & cpu are the same but with speed/bandwidth boosts.

No we have sources like DF confirming it does exist and now AMD,from what i get here a die shrink would have being very expensive,so in other words what sony did knowing it would pay probably as much for a die shrink than for a new soc,well they went with a new soc with more powerful components that but doesn't disrupt compatibility between both models,is actually a great idea.

But this probably mean that PS4 neo will replace the older PS4 in store shelves after some time,because die shrink and reduce component is vital in consoles so that prices can go down.

tormentos
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 04dcarraher

@zeeshanhaider said:
@04dcarraher said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

Well, clock speed isn't the only factor here. The cell will suck compare to Jaguar at pretty much everything, I doubt it will even be able to feed the GPU properly with everything involve.

lol really? Zen in general is suppose to be around 40% faster than Vishera and Jaguar is more than 25% slower clock per clock than Vishera. So even with Zen Lite it will be at least slightly faster than Vishera. Cell was joke for normal cpu usage, with its single core PPE that was weaker than a Pentium 3, but its SPE cores were designed for parallel work loads ie gpu type jobs.

Zen Lite at 2.1 ghz will be able to feed the gpu just fine with proper multithreaded coding.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@howmakewood: don't forget Suckerpunch.

RekonMeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 RekonMeister
Member since 2016 • 784 Posts

NEO has mars, there you go easy, it's just another hyperbole for a DVD player.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7714 Posts

@AM-Gamer said:

@howmakewood: don't forget Suckerpunch.

Out of mentioned Bloodborne, UC4, Ratchet

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 zeeshanhaider

@04dcarraher said:
@zeeshanhaider said:
@04dcarraher said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

lol really? Zen in general is suppose to be around 40% faster than Vishera and Jaguar is more than 25% slower clock per clock than Vishera. So even with Zen Lite it will be at least slightly faster than Vishera. Cell was joke for normal cpu usage, with its single core PPE that was weaker than a Pentium 3, but its SPE cores were designed for parallel work loads ie gpu type jobs.

Zen Lite at 2.1 ghz will be able to feed the gpu just fine with proper multithreaded coding.

I thought we were discussing cell and not Zen. When did I ever say Jaguar is powerful than Zen? I said cell was shit compared to Jaguar in pretty much every way.

And I know what SPE does. Comapre to SPEs' any DirectX 10 or 11 GPU perform tasks probably a million times better.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By ronvalencia

Bulldozer and Jaguar has about the same IPC.

The difference between Zen and Piledriver/Streamroller/Excavator would be the SIMD units.

Jaguar core's SSE/AVXv1 units

128 bit SIMD ADD

128 bit SIMD MUL

----------------------

Excavator module's SSE/AVXv2 units

128 bit SIMD FMAC (handles both ADD and MUL)

128 bit SIMD FMAC (handles both ADD and MUL)

64 bit SIMD MMX unit.

----------------------

ZEN core's SSE/AVXv2 units

256 bit SIMD FMAC (handles both ADD and MUL)

256 bit SIMD FMAC (handles both ADD and MUL)

64 bit SIMD MMX unit.

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/processors/38456-a-few-more-details-about-amd-s-zen

@04dcarraher said:
@zeeshanhaider said:
@04dcarraher said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

@silversix_ said:

Im sick n tired of hearing good news from Sony

LOL

MISTER_Davis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 MISTER_Davis
Member since 2016 • 286 Posts

This will also help ps vr sales, the hardcore gamers who wanted vr will also probably pick up the neo to further enhance the experience.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@dotWithShoes said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@doom456_ said:

People that know a LOT more than you know about the what is going on behind the scenes believe it.

Like you?

No people that actually work in the industry,

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By ronvalencia

@zeeshanhaider said:

For Fold at Home, Radeon X19x0 was 2X over CELL...

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By ronvalencia

@04dcarraher said:
@zeeshanhaider said:
@04dcarraher said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

There's less need for "proper multi-threaded coding" .

AMD's DX11 driver doesn't have any fancy NVidia's DX11 driver async task and MT performance extraction tricks. .

DX11 only has a single immediate render thread.

PS3 BC might be possible on 8 core ZEN Lite 2.1 Ghz.

CVStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 CVStar
Member since 2016 • 178 Posts

I have a hard time believing it because I don't think they can actually mass produce enough zen units.

It would be a great surprise if they do though.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By ronvalencia

@cvstar said:

I have a hard time believing it because I don't think they can actually mass produce enough zen units.

AMD just needs to restore their asking price similar to 2003/2004 era.

For ZEN numbers, treat Sony just like any other PC OEM.

Avatar image for deactivated-580ca9753ab29
deactivated-580ca9753ab29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 deactivated-580ca9753ab29
Member since 2016 • 73 Posts

@StrongBlackVine: Are you actually gonna raise a point or carry being a butthurt douche?. So what it like you ignore the many times they've been wrong & this could be either be info on the very early stages of a PS5 or a slim model that has VR support built in. Not my fault me and other only believe when sony say's something not just random sites desperate for clicks.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

@ronvalencia said:
@cvstar said:

wat

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By ronvalencia

@techhog89 said:
@ronvalencia said:
@cvstar said:

wat

Read

http://www.techpowerup.com/218578/samsung-to-fab-amd-zen-and-arctic-islands-on-its-14-nm-finfet-node

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/219859-samsung-globalfoundries-to-fab-next-gen-amd-gpus-apus

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

@ronvalencia said:
@techhog89 said:
@ronvalencia said:
@cvstar said:

wat

Read

http://www.techpowerup.com/218578/samsung-to-fab-amd-zen-and-arctic-islands-on-its-14-nm-finfet-node

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/219859-samsung-globalfoundries-to-fab-next-gen-amd-gpus-apus

That was directed at the "treat Sony like an OEM" part.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By ronvalencia

@techhog89 said:
@ronvalencia said:
@techhog89 said:
@ronvalencia said:

wat

Read

That was directed at the "treat Sony like an OEM" part.

What's wrong with it? Apple and Qualcomm are jumping to 10 nm FinFET nodes.

so-unco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 so-unco
Member since 2015 • 18 Posts

Console gamers will finally get to experience 2011 performance

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By ronvalencia

@so-unco said:

Console gamers will finally get to experience 2011 performance

Polaris has improved tessellation beyond R9-380X.

R9-380X's triangle rate per cycle is 2X over 7970.

Year 2011's 7970 = 3.788 TFLOPS from 925Mhz and 32 CU.

NEO = 4.2 TFLOPS for 911 Mhz, 4.4 TFLOPS for 960 Mhz. Not including 30 percent architectural improvements.