PS3's Aging Hardware is Limiting Call of Duty Says Sledgehammer CEO

This topic is locked from further discussion.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#151 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

so it seems developers comments are only valid when they are ''ps3 is more powerful than x console'' or ''only possible on ps3''but when no favoring it those comments are automatically lies and they are wrong regarding their knowledges.. interesting :roll: ... Tessellation

if it were a developer not using an aging engine designed for ancient hardware then they might have a point.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#152 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

[QUOTE="Tessellation"]so it seems developers comments are only valid when they are ''ps3 is more powerful than x console'' or ''only possible on ps3''but when no favoring it those comments are automatically lies and they are wrong regarding their knowledges.. interesting :roll: ... razgriz_101

if it were a developer not using an aging engine designed for ancient hardware then they might have a point.

Any third party dev is more credible than a first party who worked only on one of the consoles.

In this particular case, he obviously meant both HD consoles since there´s no diference between their capabilities.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

Even on PC COD looks average at best.

HArdware is not to blame here (for once).

kraken2109
Actually, it somewhat does, all the COD's on consoles only run at 1024x600 with no AA.... And they have lower settings then PC version(COD 4) for sure.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#154 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
[QUOTE="Heil68"] Time for new systems, I tell you. IronBass
Nah, even with all the complaining, the games are still being made, and they're getting better and more impressive, so all is fine.

All the big companies are complain, horrible outdated hardware. Developers are begging for new systems. At least nintendo is doing something about it.
Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#155 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Booo I am incapable of making a good lookin game.

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#156 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

we need to remember CoD is one of few console games that run at 60fps so there is not much devs can do with console hardware while mantaining that frame rate.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#157 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

That is a load of CRAP.

If DICE can do what they have done with BF3 on the PS3, Sledgehammer has no excuse.

The fact you're using IDTech3 may factor into this. Don't let Activision's want to keep produciton costs bare minium get in your way. CoD uses an outdated engine and doesn't take advantage of any of the current consoles true hardware. While Gears 3 and Uncharted 3 are pushing their respectible consoles power and games like RAGE and BF3 are pushing the multiplats, CoD is sitting on old tech and whining there isn't enough power.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#158 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

we need to remember CoD is one of few console games that run at 60fps so there is not much devs can do with console hardware while mantaining that frame rate.

Harisemo

RAGE runs at 60fps on the PS3 and looks miles better than CoD.

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

lol and WHO is supposed to believe that?

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

You want to know what's limiting Call of Duty?

A two year development cycle, yearly releases, and an engine that is twelve years old.

DarkLink77

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

[QUOTE="Harisemo"]

Wasdie

RAGE is based on a new engine which is still work in progress.

Funconsole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Funconsole
Member since 2009 • 3223 Posts
Who are sledgehammer? :?
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#163 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49584 Posts
I would say the aging hardware on all consoles this generation today is limiting developers greatly in regards to scope, and graphical fidelity.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

So they're basically saying the can't make it more pretty while still retaining the overall on-rails feel of the series?

Deevoshun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Deevoshun
Member since 2003 • 868 Posts

The PS3 is holding back Call of Duty, I mean the PS3 has hit it's peak, Uncharted 3 is as good as it's going to get, but the 360 keeps improving, Forza 4, Gears 3 and The Witcher 2 which is only possible on 360

They should make Call of Duty 360 exclusive

Supabul

After Forza 4 and Witcher 2, I am believing it as well. I guess after all, the only reason PS3 "looked" better was because they have had more exclusives sooner. Now that Xbox is grabbing some exclusives (by console) its starting to show its true power, power beyond what PS3 could handle.

The Witcher 2

Gears of War 3

Forza 4

Very impressive graphics wise.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#166 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
They are biased, that's all. They think Xbox is better so they believe it is.
2scoopsofempty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 2scoopsofempty
Member since 2005 • 923 Posts
So basically they are preparing everyone for more of the same with MW3. LOL don't get your hopes up for anything special in this next installment of modern rehash.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
They are biased, that's all. They think Xbox is better so they believe it is.JohnF111
So... when he says: "Some things are just too big for the consoles that we have right now." He actually just means one console, the Playstation 3? That's what you're saying?
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 JohnF111

[QUOTE="JohnF111"]They are biased, that's all. They think Xbox is better so they believe it is.Stevo_the_gamer
So... when he says: "Some things are just too big for the consoles that we have right now." He actually just means one console, the Playstation 3? That's what you're saying?

When he specifically mentions the PS3 RAM being the limiting factor... yes that's what i'm saying. The thread title mentions PS3 so i was just being on topic. Everyone knows DVD is outdated yet they still produce them on PC so they have no reason to call the DVD used on Xbox as a limiting factor when they use it themselves on PC version. Oh and DD is available on all platforms now so they could have it as DD as well on consoles i guess.

Avatar image for DangerousLiquid
DangerousLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 DangerousLiquid
Member since 2011 • 452 Posts

Doesn't matter. CoD will run great and look fantastic on both Xbox 360 and PS3. The Wii version will be terrible, though. :lol:

slaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#171 slaves
Member since 2004 • 1443 Posts

[QUOTE="Supabul"]

The PS3 is holding back Call of Duty, I mean the PS3 has hit it's peak, Uncharted 3 is as good as it's going to get, but the 360 keeps improving, Forza 4, Gears 3 and The Witcher 2 which is only possible on 360

They should make Call of Duty 360 exclusive

Deevoshun

After Forza 4 and Witcher 2, I am believing it as well. I guess after all, the only reason PS3 "looked" better was because they have had more exclusives sooner. Now that Xbox is grabbing some exclusives (by console) its starting to show its true power, power beyond what PS3 could handle.

The Witcher 2

Gears of War 3

Forza 4

Very impressive graphics wise.

I'm 100% positive the PS3 can run Forza 4, Gears 3 and The Witcher 2 and with saying that if you think The Witcher 2 is going to look exactly like its PC counterpart you are mistaken.

And grabbing what exclusives? It's the same games they have every other year just with the addition of The Witcher.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
When he specifically mentions the PS3 RAM being the limiting factor... yes that's what i'm saying. JohnF111
But he doesn't mention that... watch the video. Tell me where he mentions any console specifically?
insomnia37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#173 insomnia37
Member since 2004 • 1442 Posts

I guess the ceo has never heard of games like Uncharted 2 or Killzone 3.

Everyone knows that the cod series is known for its presentation. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

slaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 slaves

Everyone knows that the cod series is known for its presentation. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

insomnia37

Exactly! You would think that they would use some of that money from all those $15 DLC packs to buy or make a new engine

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#175 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="Harisemo"]

Harisemo

And is still 60FPS. The devs must have done something to do that well with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#176 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

[QUOTE="Harisemo"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

mitu123

Not only is it 60fps, and not only does it look amazing, but RAGE is also partially free-roam with cities and big environments. Then again, it's made by id software and it's hard to expect other devs to achieve such a technical marvel without the expertise that id has.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Exactly! You would think that they would use some of that money from all those $15 DLC packs to buy or make a new engine

slaves

That would be a waste of resources though, and impractical? Call of Duty games look fine as is, and more importantly, they run exceedingly well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#178 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

[QUOTE="insomnia37"]

slaves

They do have a point about the engine, even though it's outdated I don't think it's worth it to spend time and money making a new engine right now. What would happen if they made a new engine? The graphics look good enough already, I doubt they'd stray far from the 8v8 matches and small map sizes (CoD wouldn't be good with large maps or large player counts), and the gameplay sure as heck won't change. They can use that money for better technology and animation, or fund more projects/ip's. I don't see CoD improving that much from a new engine (except for animation, and technology). Of course, Activision is pure evil and they aren't doing anything to change that right now, so I wouldn't expect anything good from them.

slaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 slaves

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="Harisemo"]

XVision84

Not only is it 60fps, and not only does it look amazing, but RAGE is also partially free-roam with cities and big environments. Then again, it's made by id software and it's hard to expect other devs to achieve such a technical marvel without the expertise that id has.

That is one thing I have to give credit to Carmack and id, the ID Tech 5 engine as some crazy awesome AI and for it to be a open world FPS and still run at 60fps is really awesome especially the way it looks.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 JohnF111
[QUOTE="JohnF111"]When he specifically mentions the PS3 RAM being the limiting factor... yes that's what i'm saying. Stevo_the_gamer
But he doesn't mention that... watch the video. Tell me where he mentions any console specifically?

The first post on the first page which contains an exert - "the 256mb of system memory on the PS3". That's pretty specific if you ask me. If everyone else can get similar results on both systems why not CoD devs? Multiplats these days have tiny differences.
theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="Harisemo"]

XVision84

GOTY.

Also surprised this thread is still going. :P

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 mitu123

[QUOTE="slaves"]

[QUOTE="insomnia37"]

XVision84

They do have a point about the engine, even though it's outdated I don't think it's worth it to spend time and money making a new engine right now. What would happen if they made a new engine? The graphics look good enough already, I doubt they'd stray far from the 8v8 matches and small map sizes (CoD wouldn't be good with large maps or large player counts), and the gameplay sure as heck won't change. They can use that money for better technology and animation, or fund more projects/ip's. I don't see CoD improving that much from a new engine (except for animation, and technology). Of course, Activision is pure evil and they aren't doing anything to change that right now, so I wouldn't expect anything good from them.

Why settle for good enough, why not settle for better than good? I would like to see it on id Tech 4(or better) at the very least.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

The first post on the first page which contains an exert - "the 256mb of system memory on the PS3". That's pretty specific if you ask me. If everyone else can get similar results on both systems why not CoD devs? Multiplats these days have tiny differences.JohnF111
I don't think you watched the video.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Doesn't matter. CoD will run great and look fantastic on both Xbox 360 and PS3. The Wii version will be terrible, though. :lol:

DangerousLiquid

The COD franchises graphics this gen look below average at times.They seriously need to update their engine or create an all new one to meet their development goals . I bet they can still get 60-fps for the games with the new engine while making the games look better.This is even on the Wii.

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 sethman410
Member since 2008 • 2967 Posts
Who knows, maybe he is right.ShadowDeathX
Best comment of this thread. Silly people thinking that they are just lazy. Lol.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

[QUOTE="JohnF111"]The first post on the first page which contains an exert - "the 256mb of system memory on the PS3". That's pretty specific if you ask me. If everyone else can get similar results on both systems why not CoD devs? Multiplats these days have tiny differences.Stevo_the_gamer

I don't think you watched the video.

alot people didn't watch the video and obviously didn't read the text either since he mentions all consoles and not specific ones, even talks about hd dvd which by process of elimination means that dvd isn't large enough and is a hinderance.

DangerousLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 DangerousLiquid

[QUOTE="Harisemo"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

mitu123

RAGE doesn't even look better than a 2007 game. :lol:

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 super600  Moderator

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="Harisemo"]

DangerousLiquid

Rage is in the top 20 best looking consoles games. Don't compare it to COD or crysis(The best looking PC game currently).

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 sethman410
Member since 2008 • 2967 Posts
[QUOTE="DangerousLiquid"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="Harisemo"]

Err what 2007 game? Sir. It looks alot better than COD and yet it runs 60 fps. Not funny really.
theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 theuncharted34

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="Harisemo"]

DangerousLiquid

It'll be in the top 5 best looking console games, whilst being *the most* technically impressive as well.

On the PC, it has a texture pack with extremely high resolutions.

So best on PC and console. ;)

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 theuncharted34

[QUOTE="mitu123"] And is still 60FPS. The devs must have done something to do that well with it.

super600

Rage is in the top 20 best looking consoles games. Don't compare it to COD or crysis(The best looking PC game currently).

Top 20? wat.

:P Also Crysis isn't the best looking game on PC anymore.

DangerousLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 DangerousLiquid

[QUOTE="mitu123"] And is still 60FPS. The devs must have done something to do that well with it.

sethman410

Err what 2007 game? Sir. It looks alot better than COD and yet it runs 60 fps. Not funny really.

slaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 slaves

[QUOTE="slaves"]

[QUOTE="insomnia37"]

XVision84

If you're ok with mediocre graphics then thats cool. I for one prefer game play to graphics but today's market is all about the look. And I don't mean start from scratch with a new engine but for example look at what Valve has done with the Source engine. Portal 2 is extremely polished and its still running on a 6 or 7 year old engine.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 super600  Moderator

[QUOTE="super600"]

theuncharted34

Top 20? wat.

I can't tell how good rage looks compared to the other great looking console games, but it does look incredible. The best looking PC game is crysis until BF3 comes out.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 super600  Moderator

You're comparing a PC game to a game mostly developed on the consoles.

DangerousLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 DangerousLiquid

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

[QUOTE="super600"]

super600

Top 20? wat.

I can't tell how good rage looks compared to the other great looking console games, but it does look incredible. The best looking PC game is crysis until BF3 comes out.

BF3 looking better than Crysis. :lol: Good one.

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 theuncharted34

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

[QUOTE="super600"]

super600

Top 20? wat.

No it isn't. It doesn't even have hard or soft shadows and is full of pop up and inconsistent texture work. The lighting system is also quite dated. Even some console games are superior in that regard.

People only say Crysis because of the internet craze it stirred up. Metro 2033, The witcher 2, and Crysis 2 DX11 are superior.

The PC version of RAGE will be too.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 mitu123

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

Top 20? wat.

DangerousLiquid

Maybe not on consoles, but PC isn't far off, plus it does outdo Crysis in areas.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 mitu123

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

Top 20? wat.

theuncharted34

No it isn't. It doesn't even have hard or soft shadows and is full of pop up and inconsistent texture work.

I even posted pics earlier pointing Crysis's flaws in graphics, great looking game still though.:P

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 super600  Moderator

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

Top 20? wat.

DangerousLiquid

BF3 looks amazing on the PC don't deny it.