PS3's Aging Hardware is Limiting Call of Duty Says Sledgehammer CEO

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#51 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

Then why isnt DICE complaining about ps3 limiting battlefield 3? instead theyre trying to make it look the best it can for a console and that game has a next gen engine..

ksko
Because EA allowed them to make their baby on PC. I'm assuming Activision isn't allowing the developers much freedom and making them focus solely on the 360 build and ports.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="gmaster456"] This guy speaks the truth (at least with this post)theuncharted34

What does that mean, huh? :evil:

You know what it means! :evil:

:P

I know nothing of the sort. :o
theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

You so know what I'm talking about. :o

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#54 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

Blasphemy! :x

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

gmaster456

Lies and slander against my good name. :o But seriously, I don't know what you guys are going on about. :P
theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

[QUOTE="gmaster456"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] I know nothing of the sort. :oDarkLink77

But seriously, I don't know what you guys are going on about. :P

Neither do I. :P

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

Way to spin the article to make it seem like a dev is bashing the PS3 Playstationlifestyle. :| He said consoles in generalnavyguy21

I didn't spin the title, that is the title of the article.

Besides, what's the difference? Consoles are PS3 and X360, one in the same. :roll:

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Then build it for pc and port down, not rocket science here.

ksko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 ksko
Member since 2007 • 509 Posts

[QUOTE="ksko"]

Then why isnt DICE complaining about ps3 limiting battlefield 3? instead theyre trying to make it look the best it can for a console and that game has a next gen engine..

ShadowDeathX

Because EA allowed them to make their baby on PC. I'm assuming Activision isn't allowing the developers much freedom and making them focus solely on the 360 build and ports.

Well DICE still seem to be putting an equal amount of effort to both platforms , ofcourse pc will be best , but that doesnt mean that consoles will get a half done product. Unlike cod where the game looks bad on consoles and on pc.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Would seem to me they say ps3 cause its playstation lifestyle. But the article says all consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

There are many people who are great at PR talk, and gaining attention and fame for their games. There are also those who are awful at it and just end up making themselves look silly. Sledgehammer is the latter of the two. First they claimed that CoD (Modern Warfare in particular) had a great story with great characters. I really have nothing to say about that because the Modern Warfare campaign is basically action scenes pasted together (MW1 less so than MW2). Now, blaming the consoles for "limiting" Call of Duty? How about you guys use an engine that isn't outdated, and take a look at games like Battlefield 3 and RAGE that are tenfold more technically advanced than your games, yet run perfectly fine on current gen consoles (especially RAGE). Despite this, there's no doubt that Modern Warfare 3 will be a great game. I'm playing the heck out of Modern Warfare 2 right now, and loving it so. I like the small changes they're making in the game, though I don't expect any major improvements to the CoD formula (although more balancing and a better Spec Ops mode are welcomed changes).

I've never liked Treyarch's games, they never satisfy me. Black Ops felt boring and lacking IMO, something just felt off. I always find that Modern Warfare games tend to be very satisfying in the way they handle guns (guns really pack a punch in MW2 unlike Black Ops where they feel like toys). MW2 is also a lot more addicting and has better maps than Black Ops. It's clear Treyarch tried hard with Black Ops, but they just can't beat out Infinity Ward. We might see something interesting going on with MW3 since there are 3 studios that are developing the game. Either way Battlefield 3 will trump Modern Warfare 3, and I'll probably end up getting MW3 many months after it comes out.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

lol wut? id bet my entire life savings that its more the same game engine they've used for over a decade!

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 DarkLink77

There are many people who are great at PR talk, and gaining attention and fame for their games. There are also those who are awful at it and just end up making themselves look silly. Sledgehammer is the latter of the two. First they claimed that CoD (Modern Warfare in particular) had a great story with great characters. I really have nothing to say about that because the Modern Warfare campaign is basically action scenes pasted together (MW1 less so than MW2). Now, blaming the consoles for "limiting" Call of Duty? How about you guys use an engine that isn't outdated, and take a look at games like Battlefield 3 and RAGE that are tenfold more technically advanced than your games, yet run perfectly fine on current gen consoles (especially RAGE). Despite this, there's no doubt that Modern Warfare 3 will be a great game. I'm playing the heck out of Modern Warfare 2 right now, and loving it so. I like the small changes they're making in the game, though I don't expect any major improvements to the CoD formula (although more balancing and a better Spec Ops mode are welcomed changes).

I've never liked Treyarch's games, they never satisfy me. Black Ops felt boring and lacking IMO, something just felt off. I always find that Modern Warfare games tend to be very satisfying in the way they handle guns (guns really pack a punch in MW2 unlike Black Ops where they feel like toys). MW2 is also a lot more addicting and has better maps than Black Ops. It's clear Treyarch tried hard with Black Ops, but they just can't beat out Infinity Ward. We might see something interesting going on with MW3 since there are 3 studios that are developing the game. Either way Battlefield 3 will trump Modern Warfare 3, and I'll probably end up getting MW3 many months after it comes out.

XVision84
Disagree. Treyarch > Infinity Ward. :o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

DarkLink77

:o you like Treyarch? I must admit, I'm surprised DL :P

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="XVision84"]

XVision84

Why would you be surprised?
Golden_Boy187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Golden_Boy187
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

I'm the biggest COD fanboy but i had to LMAO at this.

Sledgehammer i think you should take a look at these games

Killzone 2/3

Gears 2/3

Uncharted 2/3

Mass Effect 2/3

Crysis 2

Far Cry 3

Rage

Witcher 2

Forza 4

Bioshock

Enslaved

BF3

and many more

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#67 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I wonder why the spin in the title (playstationlifestyIe), he said that about consoles in general :!:

IronBass

Yeah the title is pretty misleading.

Anyways I both agree and disagree. Consoles generally follow a 5 year cycle, and while they are MUCH more relevant today then before (still pulling what would pass as medium specs on a PC game after 5 years), they are showing their age. At the same time though, you can't blame consoles for that when BF3 is on the way with a slew of upgrades compared to BC2.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Blazerdt47

XVision84

I also like Treyarch more. I feel like they have done more for the series. They have the best in campaign in Black Ops and have introduced more features as well as the mega popular Zombie mode.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#69 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17457 Posts

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]Way to spin the article to make it seem like a dev is bashing the PS3 Playstationlifestyle. :| He said consoles in generalBlazerdt47

Besides, what's the difference? Consoles are PS3 and X360, one in the same. :roll:

I was saying Playstationlifestyle was spinning it, not you man :P
GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

Well he is right.... no way around that. COD on a new engine at 60 FPS would not be possible. Unless it was PC exclusive.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Disagree. Treyarch > Infinity Ward. :oDarkLink77

I thought that you hated everything Call of Duty, guess I was wrong :P

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Blazerdt47

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]Way to spin the article to make it seem like a dev is bashing the PS3 Playstationlifestyle. :| He said consoles in generalnavyguy21

I was saying Playstationlifestyle was spinning it, not you man :P

Oh sorry, just trying to prove my innocence. ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Disagree. Treyarch > Infinity Ward. :oBlazerdt47

I also like Treyarch more. I feel like they have done more for the series. They have the best in campaign in Black Ops and have introduced more features as well as the mega popular Zombie mode.

True, they've done all of the above. I just find that Black Ops, despite all the content, is extremely lacking in satisfaction or gameplay in comparison to Modern Warfare 2.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#74 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

Four series behind what's available? I wonder what CoD's engine is then.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#75 super600  Moderator  Online
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

There're using an engine that produces sub-hd textures at 60fps on consoles.I don't even think if the devs were able to develop on a more powerful console the COD franchise would look better then it is now.They may be able to produce a higher resoultion, but the textures won't be improved by a lot.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Best joke of the month, COD with its quake 3 engine is limited by ps360 :lol: epic.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

What a joke. Has Sledgehammer games ever made a game before? And the CoD series runs at pitiful resolutions and are generally ugly to begin with

javafriek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 javafriek
Member since 2008 • 752 Posts
Is Activision's code name "PS3"?navyguy21
I lol'd
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"]id Software isn't complaining. >.>IronBass
Actually, they've complained about every system, for different reasons.

Time for new systems, I tell you.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#80 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
I'm only going to believe that when Dice and Carmack say that. Otherwise, big fat lie to me.
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
Time for new systems, I tell you. Heil68
Nah, even with all the complaining, the games are still being made, and they're getting better and more impressive, so all is fine.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#82 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
and why dont they complain about 360 software? oh right, they have deals with microsoft
jonathant5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 jonathant5
Member since 2010 • 873 Posts
He is right when he says that consoles limit the development of games, and I do wish that MS+Sony would start releasing their next line of consoles. That being said, there is NO WAY that they limit COD. The damn game runs on id tech 3 (same engine as the good ol Quake 3, engine is older than the consoles that its running on). Also if you look at games like Bf3, KZ2/3, UC2, Reach, and etc, you can tell that they all look significantly better than CoD (granted they run at 30FPS). I have played BLOPS on the PS3 and man that game is ugly, poor textures, low resoluton, blurry, and just ugly to look at. Its the devs fault that the games look like that, not the consoles (well its partially the consoles fault to because, yes they are weak, but more the fault of the dev than the console).
SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

They say this, yet they clearly aim for the lowest common denominator -- they even keep pumping out Wii versions of the game.

javafriek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 javafriek
Member since 2008 • 752 Posts
[QUOTE="Heil68"] Time for new systems, I tell you. IronBass
Nah, even with all the complaining, the games are still being made, and they're getting better and more impressive, so all is fine.

yea i agree, DICE isnt complaining and their games are much better.
thatisfalse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 thatisfalse
Member since 2011 • 225 Posts
looooooooooooooooooooool let's just be realistic here, these guys are just prepping us for another inferior version of COD and blaming it on the console instead of them not being competent enough devs.
fachriunited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 fachriunited
Member since 2010 • 110 Posts

im not ready for next gen console until next 2 years, i bought my ps3 on winter 2008, my console lifespan is 7 years, so i will be getting ps4 in 2015, and i hope ps4 come out on 2014. So please sledgehammer just make the gameplay more fun, dont just focus on graphic.

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#88 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts
Call of duty isnt limited enough? Damn.
jonathant5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 jonathant5

im not ready for next gen console until next 2 years, i bought my ps3 on winter 2008, my console lifespan is 7 years, so i will be getting ps4 in 2015, and i hope ps4 come out on 2014. So please sledgehammer just make the gameplay more fun, dont just focus on graphic.

fachriunited
A 7 year life span is too long imo, and even if the next gen consoles come out in say 2012, it would mean that you used a console that costs around $400 for 4 years, or a $100 a year. I dont understand how people, instead of wanting something new, that can improve their gaming experience, keep wanting to keep their old system for such a long time. I mean come on, all consoles are cheaper than the mid-high end smartphones, and most people change their phone ever 2 years...
QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

Oh, wow, I gained new respect for Sledgehammer, having a CEO with a sense of humor nowadays is a rare thing.

Wait, he was joking, wasn't he?

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#91 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

I love Sledgehammer. The guy interviewed at the Gamespot E3 booth seemed like an idiot, I'm not sure if it was the CEO or not but he was fun to listen to by how he was the very definition of a "bro gamer". Bad enough they're riding the coat tails' of Infinity Ward's success but it's comments like this that make me wonder if they even know the game they're working on and how dated it is.

Whatever. I'm still pissed Raven is wasted on this freaking franchise now.

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#92 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
That's.... not what he said. Yeah, you could say the hardware is limiting, but releasing your games on them is also what's paying the bills.
KarateeeChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 KarateeeChop
Member since 2010 • 4666 Posts

unlike sony's first parties, sledgehammer isn't required to say what sony wants them to say. but as expected, this is already making some sony fans pretty angry.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

They say this, yet they clearly aim for the lowest common denominator -- they even keep pumping out Wii versions of the game.

SakusEnvoy
and people wonder why PC gamers find statements like these hilarious.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 DarkLink77

XVision84

I thought that you hated everything Call of Duty, guess I was wrong :P

Just the IW stuff, mostly, and the series is general. I make exceptions for the Treyarch games.

jonathant5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 jonathant5
[QUOTE="SakusEnvoy"]

lawlessx
and people wonder why PC gamers find statements like these hilarious.

Why exactly do we find these statements hilarious? Well other than the fact that its pure hypocrisy on the X360/PS3 gamers parts to talk down on the Wii, yet get angry and call PC gamers elitist when we do the same thing to them... :p
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#97 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Man, if the PS3's hardware is limiting CoD, then I wonder what the 360 and Wii are doing to it? :P
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#98 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Meanwhile at EA.

Crysis 2.....

Battlefield 3......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMuqCeDH6F0

Are they serious?

djsifer01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 djsifer01
Member since 2005 • 7238 Posts
Limiting COD games, lol. Neither the 360 or PS3 are limiting those crappy looking games. Whats really funny is, PS3 exclusives look miles better than any COD product. Quit being lazy sledgehammer.
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts

Meanwhile at EA.

Crysis 2.....

Battlefield 3......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMuqCeDH6F0

Are they serious?

LegatoSkyheart

Don't Crysis 2 and BF3 run at 30fps on consoles (Crysis 2 often less than that)?