PS+ not required for Elder Scrolls online, XBL gold is

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11803 Posts

I bet cows will boast about how they don't need PS+ for a handful of online games

There’s some good news for Elder Scrolls fans looking forward to the series’ first MMO on PlayStation 4. Bethesda has confirmed that PlayStation Plus memberships will not be required for the subscription-based Elder Scrolls Online.

A Q&A on the EU PlayStation Blog answers the question definitively. “PS4 players will only be required to pay the same monthly subscription associated with The Elder Scrolls Online that PC and Mac users will pay — nothing more,” writes Zenimax Online Studios game director Matt Firor. The Elder Scrolls Online will cost $60 with a recurring $15 monthly subscription.

Because this news came out on the PlayStation Blog, we reached out to Bethesda for clarification. "Xbox One users will need an Xbox Gold subscription," a representative told us via email.

For more on the Elder Scrolls Online, check out recent trailers featuring group gameplay and the impressive voice cast. We’ve also got a journal covering the two hours we spent with the title at Gamescom and our cover story from June 2012.

The Elder Scrolls Online will be available on April 4 for PC and Mac. Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions will come later this year.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

Good for PlayStation 4 owners. Not that anyone is going to play ESOnline, but yea...this is how it should be. Too many things are locked behind the XBone paywall.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

Our Take

For those that are only interested in online gaming for The Elder Scrolls Online, one platform is clearly less expensive. However, for those that are already members, the pricing is likely not a significant motivator. What is notable here is that Microsoft is setting firm guidelines around multiplayer. Microsoft will likely tell you that it is protecting value for paying Gold members. Whether you agree with that likely depends on if you are currently a member and interested in The Elder Scrolls Online.

_____

I like that ^^^^ that's on point.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

waaaaait wait wait wait wait.

They are expecting $15 a month?! For every single month?! AND charging $60 up front?!

WHAAAA?

Wonder how long it will be before it goes free to play.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50595 Posts

Ya, there is no chance in hell I would ever pay for a MMO from this dev. They can't make a "regular" game without a shit load of bugs. Pass.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

A Q&A on the EU PlayStation Blog answers the question definitively. “PS4 players will only be required to pay the same monthly subscription associated with The Elder Scrolls Online that PC and Mac users will pay — nothing more,” writes Zenimax Online Studios game director Matt Firor. The Elder Scrolls Online will cost $60 with a recurring $15 monthly subscription.

Because this news came out on the PlayStation Blog, we reached out to Bethesda for clarification. "Xbox One users will need an Xbox Gold subscription," a representative told us via email.

i need some clarification. do xbox live users pay the gold fee, andthe $15/month subscription on top of it? because their phrasing is ambiguous. it sounds like xbox live gold users get in from the gold fee alone.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

If gold is required for IE you know their shit is messed up and will obviously be required for mmo's

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

That is good I guess for those that will buy it but 60 dollars PLUS a 15 dollar monthly fee for this is ridiculous

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#9 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

who cares. anyone who cares about playing online in the slightest bit is already going to own psn or xbl.

not combineing the servers I think the consoles are going to die way to fast

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@NoodleFighter:

That is kind of BS. But, at least MS is consistent when they say you need XBL Gold to play online.

Kudos to Sony for not doing that to its users. Although, I doubt anyone who gets ESO will *not* have PS+

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

Xboned experience. Paying more to get less.

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

If true, that's fucking stupid... it's a goddamn MMORPG how can you ask people to have gold accounts on top for a game that already requires subscription.

Draign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 Draign
Member since 2013 • 1824 Posts

I rather play DC Universe for free, sorry.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

@Chutebox: the game isn't being made by beth like other elder scrolls. its being made by zenimax or something and they opened 07 and this will be their first game

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50595 Posts

@k2theswiss said:

@Chutebox: the game isn't being made by beth like other elder scrolls. its being made by zenimax or something and they opened 07 and this will be their first game

Not sure if that's good or bad lol. We'll see. But glad Beth not touching it.

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

@V3rciS said:

If true, that's fucking stupid... it's a goddamn MMORPG how can you ask people to have gold accounts on top for a game that already requires subscription.

Microsoft and Sony both can dictate what is played on their own respective networks, it's as simple as that. This shouldn't surprise anybody since applications like Netflix have been behind Microsoft's pay wall for years now.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

I have no problem with the XBL Gold or PS+ fees; those fees are less than $5 a month and let you play many games online so they are well worth it.

The fee that I have a problem with is the ridiculous $15 a month fee just for this one single game; there is no way I'm paying that.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Are cows really acting like they aren't forced into paying for online this Gen? You guys are in the exact same boat as lems in this regard. So elder scrolls online doesn't require ps+ but kill zone multiplayer does so what's your point?

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Why is Microsoft so adamant and anal about locking everything within a paywall? Even a free BBC player??? This pisses me off to no end. So many indie games weren't released on Xbox 360, including VERY OWN MICROSOFT EXCLUSIVES ONCE - 2 Oddworld games because of their MONEY-HUNGRY POLICIES!!!

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4864 Posts

Who cares? Every PS4 or Xbone owner plays mp games so you have to pay for online either way.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NFJSupreme

@Salt_The_Fries: you act as if you have to pay for each of those games. It's a one time monthly fee that covers everything. Again why act like cows aren't forced into paying for online? Fact is this: if you want to be able to use your ps4 or xbone fully YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR Online. If not you have a gimped device with no online multiplayer for any if the games that you want online multiplayer on. This is fact for both devices not fanboy spin.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Why is Microsoft so adamant and anal about locking everything within a paywall? Even a free BBC player??? This pisses me off to no end. So many indie games weren't released on Xbox 360, including VERY OWN MICROSOFT EXCLUSIVES ONCE - 2 Oddworld games because of their MONEY-HUNGRY POLICIES!!!

BBC iplayer is available to both Gold and Free users on XBL. They can't charge users for it, because of how the BBC operates. But yeah. Microsoft's forcing just about everything behind a paywall is ridiculous.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Already tired of copy pasting this but: TLHBO

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

lol subscription mmos lol

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#25 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

what the hell is this crap? Now there is a double paywall for something like this on X1? That is bs right there

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Free to play with cash shop within a year, I guarantee it.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#27 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

That's good. Although, I wouldn't buy it on a Playstation system. :p

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

If I get this game, it would be PC...but I have no interest in this game at all. It really has to be something my friends like to even get my attention, and right now they don't care. I am not a big MMO person, but I will dabble from time to time. The problem is they are time sinks, and I would rather play a ton of games across genres that stick to a time sink MMO. Last one I played was Star Wars. These MMOs require $10-$15 to keep playing a month, what a rip off...in ESO case, $15 a month and YOU KNOW it's going to be buggy. I just don't have any desire to play it.

It's funny because the thing I liked about the Elder Scrolls series in the days of Everquest and Later World of Warcraft was that ES offered the MMO experience solo without the online fuss and muss and no extra fees. Now they want those monthly fees? C-ya.

@CrownKingArthur said:

i need some clarification. do xbox live users pay the gold fee, andthe $15/month subscription on top of it? because their phrasing is ambiguous. it sounds like xbox live gold users get in from the gold fee alone.

MMOs in the past did not work like that on Xbox and this game should be no different. It's like Netflix, you pay Netflix their monies, and then you pay Xbox Live Gold on the side.

No matter what, Bethesda is going to want their money from the consumers (PC, PS4, Xbone) to maintain and upgrade their online game. Whether or not, Xbox Live Gold is on top of that fee is up to M$. PC and PS4 players apparently don't have an extra fee on top.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Kind of outlines the lesser of those evils.

Maybe it is because Sony is in a posision where they NEED as many people to buy their system, that they aperrently allows for some games NOT to have to be behind a paywall (consumers allready paying ofcourse likely the cause) Aswell as the value afforded by PS+ in comparison.

From an objective point of view this is ofcourse good, that the Game dev would not have to be hit by a paywall, making them less interrested in releasing the game, no PS+ would be required, so it is a good thing all around.

Maybe Sony is scared of the same failure that was the PS3 launch. Maybe they have a different kind of breed behind decicion making then MS, which in turn is somewhat more connected to the consumers way of thinking, and relations between them and devs.

Either Case They are both two evils (XBL, PS+) it is rather interresting that one is making sure that it is tolerable, while the other has a very clear stern guideline.

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Locutus_Picard
Member since 2004 • 4159 Posts

Elder Scrolls Online confirmed $135 for 1 month of gameplay on XB1.

If it goes F2P, it will suddenly not be allowed on XB1 anymore?

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

@SolidTy: jeez. that's ghastly if they operate it like that.

hope your training is going well.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

everything online except for patching & trophies need xbl gold

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

VALUE-->A hallmark of SONY.

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

I'll be shocked if this game retains a console player for a month, I hated the PC Beta certainly can't see it doing well on consoles.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:

@SolidTy: jeez. that's ghastly if they operate it like that.

hope your training is going well.

I agree it is ghastly...and

Thank you, so far so good. :)

betamaxx83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By betamaxx83
Member since 2013 • 360 Posts

Why would anybody be surprised, it's MilkingSoft. They lock everything behind their paywall, they are the worst at milking their fan base.

BlessedChill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BlessedChill
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

@NFJSupreme: so much butthurt

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Yeah who doesn't pay for a psn or live subscription that owns either system? must be in the low 2% or something. Only time I see this benefiting Ps4 owners is when the subscription ends after a year and you are waiting for pay day to get another, and can keep playing the game.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Both of those consoles are very poor values if you aren't paying the online fees, anyway. If I were going to play the game, it would be on PC. I don't really like MMOs, though, and the idea of paying full price for a game + $15 per month has always been a huge turnoff for me.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I though you needed PS+ to play any game online.

Doesn't matter though, $60 plus $15 subscription is a rip off anyway. Bethesda is getting ballsy and they have every right to be, since 20 million people forked over cash for that god awful Skyrim. So why wouldn't they push their luck ?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

Whoa Whoa Whoa ! Its 15 per month ? I thought it was annual. Thats a $180 a year, thats 3 games 4 if you include the initial 60.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#42 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

Suck... But the game doesn't look that good anyway.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

I'd like to see the stats for console players who want to play this game, and have no intention of already subscribing to XBL or PS+

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#44  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

So this means that Elder Scrolls will cost 90 bucks the first month on X1 and 75 on PS4

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

I think its strange that its actually Bethesda whos trying to suck you dry but yall are squabling over PS+ and XBL.

Bethesda must be in stitches !

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#46  Edited By donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

May people will act surprised by this, though it's news to exactly nobody.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

@Dreams-Visions said:

Good for PlayStation 4 owners. Not that anyone is going to play ESOnline, but yea...this is how it should be. Too many things are locked behind the XBone paywall.

Pretty much this. Subscription MMOs are going the way of the dinosaur, I can see it selling like hot cakes like TOR did and as soon as everyones month is up it will die down and either go FTP or just die. No Elder scrolls fan wanted an MMO, Co-Op maybe but not an MMO so I don't see many Elder Scrolls fans jumping on board for very long.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

This is going to be terrible on consoles, the PC version supports full LUA modding and the player count won't cause as many problems.

Best on PC - the multiplat motto.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@NFJSupreme said:

Are cows really acting like they aren't forced into paying for online this Gen? You guys are in the exact same boat as lems in this regard. So elder scrolls online doesn't require ps+ but kill zone multiplayer does so what's your point?

No one is acting like that but your are a moron who took it that way,putting this game under live gold scheme is stupid,but this is MS who has make lemming pay for netflix and even Internet Explorer,there is no justification for this and hiding on PSN+ been need it to play online is a joke.

At least with PSN+ you get your money back and them some.

Also free to play games don't require PSN+ either,this thread is not about Killzone is about skyrim nice DC dude.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 NFJSupreme

@tormentos said:

@NFJSupreme said:

No one is acting like that but your are a moron who took it that way,putting this game under live gold scheme is stupid,but this is MS who has make lemming pay for netflix and even Internet Explorer,there is no justification for this and hiding on PSN+ been need it to play online is a joke.

At least with PSN+ you get your money back and them some.

Also free to play games don't require PSN+ either,this thread is not about Killzone is about skyrim nice DC dude.

why do you even bother replying to me? It's like you are desperate to win just one argument with me. You keep quoting me when I'm not even talking to you. I'm sure this forum has an ignore feature. It's time i use it.