Poll: Which Of These Is The Downfall Of Gaming This Generation?

• 117 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Boogie_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Boogie_J
Member since 2007 • 1469 Posts

None of those.I'm just fine with gaming this gen.As for the downfall of gaming,hardcore gamers will be the cause if they get their wish of annihilating anything casual from the world of gaming.

789shadow

you say this because you cant see the big picture. nonstop-madness' post was correct. gaming is doomed

alex6792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 alex6792
Member since 2008 • 125 Posts

the SP definetely needs to be extended,not drawn out,or adding "extra missions" but like,progress the story,or something like seperate wasys in RE4,in which u discover and see the story from a different perspective

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
the only profitable side for 3rd parties is the so called shovelware Zaistev_basic
Who told you that?
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#54 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Basically a combination of all five.

Zaistev_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Zaistev_basic
Member since 2002 • 2975 Posts
[QUOTE="Boogie_J"]

[QUOTE="789shadow"]

None of those.I'm just fine with gaming this gen.As for the downfall of gaming,hardcore gamers will be the cause if they get their wish of annihilating anything casual from the world of gaming.

you say this because you cant see the big picture. nonstop-madness' post was correct. gaming is doomed

Oh we all see the big picture, the elitist gamers are pushing developers to the brink of bankcruptcy (some of them is already bankcrupt) due to their unreasonable demand for more graphic advancement, which is way more expensive, a hit or loss business strategy, and lack of innovation in terms of gameplay (massive generic FPS).
FFXIII360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 FFXIII360
Member since 2008 • 988 Posts

This gen is great unless you just own a PS3 or a Wii

Zaistev_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Zaistev_basic
[QUOTE="Zaistev_basic"] the only profitable side for 3rd parties is the so called shovelware IronBass
Who told you that?

Did you look at the top sales of software like Wii Play, Warioware, etc... Also, these shovelware games does NOT need to be top 10 to earn huge margin as the development cost for it is way lower than the HD counterparts. Even some games that are semi-HD (not really HD) like Rockband or Guitar Hero, Mariop Galaxy, etc... are evidences that despite non HD game, is successful with huge profit margins.
Zaistev_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Zaistev_basic

This gen is great unless you just own a PS3 or a Wii

FFXIII360
you forgot owning X360 alone too. Good games, but a nightmare in reliability. I own PC too so that covers my HD gaming. Nevertheless, its just your opinion and my opinion. The userbase of the consoles on the other hand, tells a different story.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-63f6895020e66
[QUOTE="IronBass"][QUOTE="Zaistev_basic"] the only profitable side for 3rd parties is the so called shovelware Zaistev_basic
Who told you that?

Did you look at the top sales of software like Wii Play, Warioware, etc... Also, these shovelware games does NOT need to be top 10 to earn huge margin as the development cost for it is way lower than the HD counterparts. Even some games that are semi-HD (not really HD) like Rockband or Guitar Hero, Mariop Galaxy, etc... are evidences that despite non HD game, is successful with huge profit margins.

WiiPlay was never on the top of the Wii software chart. Actually, it sold kinda low. WiiWare is, by any means, shovelware. Actually it's a pretty good game.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#60 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

[QUOTE="Zaistev_basic"] So to burst your agrument, despite these games are selling, other HD games that these developer are creating are lossing or the profit margin is low. Wii Play selling 7 million sales has a higher profit margin (due to low cost of production) compare to Halo 3 more than 7 million sales due to huge development costs. No wonder why Nintendo is having huge profit.Zaistev_basic

Nintendo are not like Sony or Microsoft.

They cannot afford to take a loss -- as the games industry is their primary source of profit, sony and microsoft have other areas to regain losses.

LOL, it not Sony and Microsoft I'm talking about, its the 3rd party developers. Nintendo is one of the developers, so as Sony, and Microsoft. But what about 3rd parties like EA, Activision etc... They are having financial trouble due to the high cost of development. Strangely enough, the only profitable side for 3rd parties is the so called shovelware games which is ironically hsa a higher profit margin than their HD counterparts. There will be a slippery slope for developers like Rockstar (depsite its success in GTA series, are in need of money and bailout from EA or others), EA (largest developer and publisher of VG) have almost half a billion losses, etc... The 3rd party develoeprs will get even more losses if they don't change their strategy on hanging on the same franchises and empahasis of graphics/online over gameplay/sp. You and I might be a hardcore gamer, but we don't hold the puchasing power the casual has. We never have that power at the beginning, and we should never will.

Its what you get when your in an economic recession ... and have high demands from the two consoles that cater to the core -- HD costs are far far too much for a company to take risks. It costs a lot to make games, thus making enough profit to break even or even make a profit is hard.
waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
The Success of the Wii if what I fear for next gen happens.
Zaistev_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Zaistev_basic
[QUOTE="Zaistev_basic"][QUOTE="IronBass"] Who told you that?IronBass

WiiPlay was never on the top of the Wii software chart. Actually, it sold kinda low. WiiWare is, by any means, shovelware. Actually it's a pretty good game.

Wii Play sold pretty well and was one of the top chart my friend when it was released. One reason for it is due to the remote. Regardless, the game itself was obviously cheap to develop. And yes, ny bad that I consider Warioware as shovelware (it was considered shovelware by a lot of gamer elitists) despite its higher score. I guess it was too casual for them. Nevertheless, its just common sense that these shovelware are selling and their profit margin is obviously higher. Anyways, just read the article "http://www.slate.com/id/2210732/" It was a real eye opening for me as a hardcore gamer. Maybe we hardcore gamers are too spoiled that we don't see this coming.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-63f6895020e66
[QUOTE="IronBass"][QUOTE="Zaistev_basic"] Did you look at the top sales of software like Wii Play, Warioware, etc... Also, these shovelware games does NOT need to be top 10 to earn huge margin as the development cost for it is way lower than the HD counterparts. Even some games that are semi-HD (not really HD) like Rockband or Guitar Hero, Mariop Galaxy, etc... are evidences that despite non HD game, is successful with huge profit margins.Zaistev_basic

Wii Play sold pretty well and was one of the top chart my friend when it was released. One reason for it is due to the remote. Regardless, the game itself was obviously cheap to develop. And yes, ny bad that I consider Warioware as shovelware (it was considered shovelware by a lot of gamer elitists) despite its higher score. I guess it was too casual for them. Nevertheless, its just common sense that these shovelware are selling and their profit margin is obviously higher. Anyways, just read the article "http://www.slate.com/id/2210732/" It was a real eye opening for me as a hardcore gamer. Maybe we hardcore gamers are too spoiled that we don't see this coming.

Sorry, I confused WiiPlay with WiiMusic :P (lol too many WiiSomething). Fact is, "core" quality agames sell good, great even if they are marketed well. Especially if they are multiplats. There's my statement. Quality well marketed multiplats will save gaming. *Sorry for not discussin the link right now. I'll read it later*.
Zaistev_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Zaistev_basic
[QUOTE="Zaistev_basic"][QUOTE="IronBass"] WiiPlay was never on the top of the Wii software chart. Actually, it sold kinda low. WiiWare is, by any means, shovelware. Actually it's a pretty good game.IronBass

Sorry, I confused WiiPlay with WiiMusic :P (lol too many WiiSomething). Fact is, "core" quality agames sell good, great even if they are marketed well. Especially if they are multiplats. There's my statement. Quality well marketed multiplats will save gaming. *Sorry for not discussin the link right now. I'll read it later*.

That's okay, I agree. Like GTA series and some HD gaming. However, I don't want these kind of games to push the video game industry into financial turmoil as proven in the link provided. I so much miss the PS one and PS2 era. To end the arguement: IT IS THE DEVELOPERS THEMSELVES WHO ARE KILLING GAMING FOR NOT DIVERSIFYING THEIR GAMES, AND FOR NOT INNOVATING. Innovation is not graphics, it's gameplay. Wii has proven us a lot of times wrong on that. I am willing to admit that wrongful, toxicating thinking that HD is required to have a great game. Screw the physics if it means the eliminating 3rd party developers
lolfaqs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 lolfaqs
Member since 2009 • 1776 Posts

[QUOTE="lolfaqs"]It's true though. Saying the 360 is cheaper is the equivalent of saying an apartment is cheaper because it has a $1 rent for the first month followed by $500 rent for every subsequent month compared to another apartment with no move-in special and a monthly rent of $400.IronBass
The only failure in your analogy is that none of the 360 "extra costs" are mandatory.

That's like saying electricity and water aren't mandatory for housing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 deactivated-63f6895020e66

[QUOTE="IronBass"][QUOTE="lolfaqs"]It's true though. Saying the 360 is cheaper is the equivalent of saying an apartment is cheaper because it has a $1 rent for the first month followed by $500 rent for every subsequent month compared to another apartment with no move-in special and a monthly rent of $400.lolfaqs

The only failure in your analogy is that none of the 360 "extra costs" are mandatory.

Yup, because everyone plays online, right?
wartutheshid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 wartutheshid
Member since 2009 • 26 Posts

[QUOTE="IronBass"][QUOTE="lolfaqs"]It's true though. Saying the 360 is cheaper is the equivalent of saying an apartment is cheaper because it has a $1 rent for the first month followed by $500 rent for every subsequent month compared to another apartment with no move-in special and a monthly rent of $400.lolfaqs

because it's not.

lolfaqs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 lolfaqs
Member since 2009 • 1776 Posts

[QUOTE="lolfaqs"]

[QUOTE="IronBass"] The only failure in your analogy is that none of the 360 "extra costs" are mandatory.wartutheshid

because it's not.

implied warranty of habitability says otherwise.

daveyf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 daveyf03
Member since 2005 • 418 Posts

The slow death of local co op

Boogie_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Boogie_J

[QUOTE="lolfaqs"]

[QUOTE="IronBass"] The only failure in your analogy is that none of the 360 "extra costs" are mandatory.IronBass

Yup, because everyone plays online, right?

90% of games nowadays has an online component so he has a point. youre missing a big chunk of a game if you dont play online and 360 isnt online out of the box

TechGuru89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 TechGuru89
Member since 2009 • 478 Posts
First off let me start off by saying you have a fantastic poll. If I could give you rep I would. I think DLC is ruining things. The only people who know about this, is the former or current pc gamers. Its a complete joke. Think now honestly...should we really be paying for modes...let alone maps, mods, characters, vehicles?
vibrantdesign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 vibrantdesign
Member since 2008 • 530 Posts

I'd probably go with short single-player campaigns. It's a pity some of these games aren't very long, for instance Resident Evil 5. RE4 was like 20 hours or so your first playthrough.

killa4lyfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#73 killa4lyfe
Member since 2008 • 3849 Posts

WHAT THE HELL!!! All of those things are distroying gaming, how am I supposed to choose one???????

RTUUMM
i knw i am soo confussed too!!I dont even knw the number of things destroying gaming....i bet its OVR 9000!!!!!!!!!! :lol: ...anyways i went with the not enough original ips, i would rather play a good short game than a crappy long ass game
Boogie_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Boogie_J

I'd probably go with short single-player campaigns. It's a pity some of these games aren't very long, for instance Resident Evil 5. RE4 was like 20 hours or so your first playthrough.

vibrantdesign

resident evil 5 was ridiculously short

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#75 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

I've been mainly a PC player post 16-bit era, but I've always bought most of the consoles long enough to give them a shot, I just didn't bother keeping them out of disinterest. This is the first console generation I haven't bought any.

The Wii doesn't interest me and the PS3 and 360 would require too much payout up front, what with me having an old CRT TV that only has coaxel. I have no other reason to upgrade my TV situation because I rarely use the TV anyway, I'm just not a big TV fan. There's a few shows I watch from time to time but not enough to justify the expenditure.

And considering I haven't really fallen in love with the consoles I have owned post 16-bit (PSX, PS2, Xbox, Gameboy Advance) all failed to meet my expectations, I can't justify both upgrading my TV $$$ and buying a console $$$ it's necessary HD cables $$$ extra controllers $$$ a decent speaker system $$$ and paying more per game $$$ when chances are it's going to be just like last generation: I'll buy a bunch of the 'top rated' games and get let down because it doesn't match the experience I'm used to on the PC (slow analog turning being my main gripe).

If the cost of entry were more reasonable, I'd probably pick up one or the other at some point and give it a go. Even if I had an HDTV, the PS3 is priced right out of the question. I'm not willing to spend that much on something I may not like. The Xbox360 arcade is the right price, but buying an Xbox360 without a hard drive is just silly.

Maybe when the PS3 and Xbox360 'slim' revisions come around they'll be cheap enough for me to try. If I've found a reason to upgrade to HDTV by then.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#76 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
[QUOTE="RTUUMM"]

WHAT THE HELL!!! All of those things are distroying gaming, how am I supposed to choose one???????

killa4lyfe
i knw i am soo confussed too!!I dont even knw the number of things destroying gaming....i bet its OVR 9000!!!!!!!!!! :lol: ...anyways i went with the not enough original ips, i would rather play a good short game than a crappy long ass game

Well, to counter attack, I would rather have a good long game(Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic) over a crappy short game(Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly), LOL.
Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#77 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
How is casual gaming not leading this by a HUGE margin ... that IS the downfall of normal gaming. Everything is turned into this nice ADD packaged 5 minute minigame filled "game" its like 10000 copies of marioparty. Wii is the major one to blame. :(
Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#78 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
[QUOTE="killa4lyfe"][QUOTE="RTUUMM"]

mitu123

Well, to counter attack, I would rather have a good long game(Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic) over a crappy short game(Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly), LOL.

not sure what you are counter-attacking. His point was quality over quantity ... yours is just flipping words around and saying the same thing.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 mitu123
[QUOTE="ColdfireTrilogy"][QUOTE="mitu123"][QUOTE="killa4lyfe"] i knw i am soo confussed too!!I dont even knw the number of things destroying gaming....i bet its OVR 9000!!!!!!!!!! :lol: ...anyways i went with the not enough original ips, i would rather play a good short game than a crappy long ass game

not sure what you are counter-attacking. His point was quality over quantity ... yours is just flipping words around and saying the same thing.

You know, you're right, my mistake, it happens.
Shy_Guy_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#80 Shy_Guy_Red
Member since 2006 • 17138 Posts

Too many shooters, 60$ gamesAgentA-Mi6

These are mine.

LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts
People blame the graphics for all the price issues this gen.
PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

I'll go with single player getting shorter, because paying for DLC gives you a choice at least. That, and the fact that every game nowadays is picking up the cover system + regenerative health combo. It was intuitive and interesting at first, but now I'm just really sick of it.

Boogie_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Boogie_J

everything is generic now

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50662 Posts

DLC is the worst out of that list, but none are the downfall of gaming this gen.

Console price and games focusing on online is a major set back for me also.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50662 Posts
People blame the graphics for all the price issues this gen.LOXO7
I think the developers are making that up. I mean sure games probably cost more to make, but they also cost more for us to buy. $10 more for each game is a lot of money that they make.
FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#86 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts
  1. Development costs
  2. DLC
  3. SP games getting shorter

Don't know why people insist the Wii is killing gaming by EXPANDING the market. If anything, the current trend of the PS3/360 (expensive tech/higher end everything PS4/720) would isolate the medium completely.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#87 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

well since casual been around since ps2 that cant be it, so , ,

im going with short single player campaigne, and no split screen

metalisticpain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#88 metalisticpain
Member since 2005 • 3536 Posts
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]Tough choice between DLC and Single Player campaigns being short. but I went with DLC -- it really drives me nuts.

I vote for DLC. I think some of its fine, but costumes? they suck Also game that give u extra furniture or skins or something small suck as well. Im ok with DLC being Explansions, Maps.
Boogie_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Boogie_J

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]Tough choice between DLC and Single Player campaigns being short. but I went with DLC -- it really drives me nuts.metalisticpain
I vote for DLC. I think some of its fine, but costumes? they suck Also game that give u extra furniture or skins or something small suck as well. Im ok with DLC being Explansions, Maps.

i hate when developers hold back levels that were supposed to be on the disc in the first place as dlc (see tombraider). the whole dlc is just a scam anyway, most of it is not worth buying

MerisYaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 MerisYaki
Member since 2008 • 967 Posts

The shooter focus.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#91 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

I have to say the last option describes it pretty well. It seems like most devs these days think we'll be content with 8-10 hours of forgettable offline gameplay and a crappy story. It's especially insulting if the multiplayer is just as mediocre as the single-player.

(It's funny how many people voted for DLC. Something tells me the cows have a new favorite grievance)

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 mitu123

I have to say the last option describes it pretty well. It seems like most devs these days think we'll be content with 8-10 hours of forgettable offline gameplay and a crappy story. It's especially insulting if the multiplayer is just as mediocre as the single-player.Cherokee_Jack

*Looks at Hour of Victory* Hey, you're right, there were FPSs that had 20 hour SP campaigns, like the 2 No One Lives Forever games. Sure, the multiplayer wasn't that great, but the SP made up for it.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#93 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

It's a combination of all you mentioned.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
the sp games are way to short. the original farcry and hl2 are amazing but few games this gen have matched it. farcry takes longer to complete than cod4 and codwaw campaigns combined, and it is far more fun.
Heydanbud92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Heydanbud92
Member since 2007 • 4464 Posts

If there were an option for "Japanese devs. not stepping up to the current gen plate" I would have voted for that

Darth_Sibbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#96 Darth_Sibbs
Member since 2004 • 4234 Posts
DLC for me. I don't mind extra cars and packs but day 1 DLC is terrible and annoying.
DeckardLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#97 DeckardLee
Member since 2009 • 859 Posts

Defintely DLC.

DLC wouldn't be that big of a problem to me if they weren't usually so console exclusive with no physical copies.

nintendog66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 nintendog66
Member since 2006 • 2300 Posts
Wow I'd pick all those options but I guess the sequels are the biggest problem.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

fanboys are, and always will be the downfall of gaming.

zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#100 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts

i dislike games like wiifit making so much money when it isnt even really a game at all. has to make you wonder how it makes the actual game developers feel when they spend millions of dollars and a whole load of time making a nice polished title which gets outsold by wiifit... it would certainly annoy me.