Poll: Which Of These Is The Downfall Of Gaming This Generation?

• 117 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Boogie_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Boogie_J
Member since 2007 • 1469 Posts

which of these options is the worst thing about this generation?

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Tough choice between DLC and Single Player campaigns being short. but I went with DLC -- it really drives me nuts.
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
Too short SP campaigns. But I noticed that I'm already used. Still, that's my only complaint about this gen. I luv this gen.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#4 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

It's a tie between DLC and short single player campaigns, that's why I love the 1st 2 No One Lives Forever games, they both had 20 hours and that's great for FPSs.

lolfaqs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lolfaqs
Member since 2009 • 1776 Posts

I'm torn between the first and last choice, but in a way the last choice includes the first choice, so I went with the last choice.

bustword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bustword
Member since 2008 • 345 Posts

Single player is too short

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#7 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
I'd say not enough original IP's and the lack of SP
RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RTUUMM
Member since 2008 • 4859 Posts

WHAT THE HELL!!! All of those things are distroying gaming, how am I supposed to choose one???????

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

I would choose the consoles are too expensive option, but I don't feel that Xbox Live is that much of a problem at all. Consoles being $400-$600 at launch is just plain stupid. You have to have a lot of disposable income to be able to afford all the consoles, and a PC as well.

I just want all the consoles to be gaming oriented, and around $200 or less with all necessary features ready out of the box.

lolfaqs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lolfaqs

I would choose the consoles are too expensive option, but I don't feel that Xbox Live is that much of a problem at all. Consoles being $400-$600 at launch is just plain stupid. You have to have a lot of disposable income to be able to afford all the consoles, and a PC as well.

I just want all the consoles to be gaming oriented, and around $200 or less with all necessary features ready out of the box.

treedoor

lrn2creditcard?

It's not hard to find deals for no interest on credit cards if paid off within a certain amount of time. And if you think $400 is a lot, well, all I can say is that a $200 360 will match $400 in only 4 years of Xbox Live. From that point on, it gets more expensive than the PS3 with each additional year of Xbox Live. And that doesn't even factor in other reasons why the 360 is a more expensive console, which I won't get into here.

Avatar image for tylergamereview
tylergamereview

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 tylergamereview
Member since 2006 • 2051 Posts
Too short SP. This really needs to stop.
Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts
I said casual, mainly because I'm scared that's where it will all go... More importantly is the cost of this gen though, not just for the consumers, but for the devs as well.
Sonic_on_crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sonic_on_crack
Member since 2007 • 2428 Posts
Nintendo Wii , its killing gaming, I mean Wii Fit seems to be the #1 game each month time and time again

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-63f6895020e66

[QUOTE="treedoor"]

lolfaqs

lrn2creditcard?

It's not hard to find deals for no interest on credit cards if paid off within a certain amount of time. And if you think $400 is a lot, well, all I can say is that a $200 360 will match $400 in only 4 years of Xbox Live. From that point on, it gets more expensive than the PS3 with each additional year of Xbox Live. And that doesn't even factor in other reasons why the 360 is a more expensive console, which I won't get into here.

You can't stop the marketing, right? Not even in a thread that has nothing to do with the PS3. :|

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Nintendo Wii , its killing gaming, I mean Wii Fit seems to be the #1 game each month time and time againSonic_on_crack
And how's that killing gaming?
MBP_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MBP_King
Member since 2009 • 903 Posts

I would say the lack of new IP's as more and more developers do not want to take the risk on a new game.

Boogie_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Boogie_J

I said casual, mainly because I'm scared that's where it will all go... More importantly is the cost of this gen though, not just for the consumers, but for the devs as well.carljohnson3456

yeah, because of the production costs devs are not willing to spend money on something quirky and original for fear that it will not make them money (that's the difference between this generation and last generation, too many sequels etc). production costs are also the reason why sp campaigns are so short nowadays.

Avatar image for Synthetic_NinJI
Synthetic_NinJI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Synthetic_NinJI
Member since 2006 • 2809 Posts

[QUOTE="treedoor"]

lolfaqs

lrn2creditcard?

300-400 Dollars is considered affordable in a four year time span opposed to spending 399-599 "US Dollars" in one month which few people can afford.

Their is this thing called common sense that you have to factor in if you are going to start an argument.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 treedoor

[QUOTE="treedoor"]

lolfaqs

lrn2creditcard?

Well, I actually have the money to buy all the consoles, but I'm not going to.

Wii $250 + games and extra accessories? Probably around $400 just to start me off.

Xbox 360 elite $400 + games and an XBL account around $500-$600

PS3 with games and accessories also around $500-$600.

So just to start myself off with all the consoles it's over $1500....For gaming? And not to mention that's if you only want a game or two per system.

All systems should be around $200, and the games should all be $40-$50 with cheap accessories. End of story imo.

lolfaqs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lolfaqs

[QUOTE="lolfaqs"]

[QUOTE="treedoor"]

IronBass

lrn2creditcard?

You can't stop the marketing, right? Not even in a thread that has nothing to do with the PS3. :|

It's true though. Saying the 360 is cheaper is the equivalent of saying an apartment is cheaper because it has a $1 rent for the first month followed by $500 rent for every subsequent month compared to another apartment with no move-in special and a monthly rent of $400.

Jodan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 Jodan77
Member since 2005 • 2567 Posts

CURSE DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT!

Really annoying.

vaderhater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 vaderhater
Member since 2003 • 3972 Posts

[QUOTE="treedoor"]

lolfaqs

lrn2creditcard?

:roll: Please give up. I mean really man.

Sonic_on_crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sonic_on_crack
[QUOTE="Sonic_on_crack"]Nintendo Wii , its killing gaming, I mean Wii Fit seems to be the #1 game each month time and time againIronBass

Shovel freaking ware . Its killing the entire quality of this gen and of that entire system
Boogie_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Boogie_J

[QUOTE="Sonic_on_crack"]Nintendo Wii , its killing gaming, I mean Wii Fit seems to be the #1 game each month time and time againIronBass

if casual crap is what sells, why would a developer take a chance on something truly innovative and groundbreaking? i think his point is in the coming the years the gaming industry may alienate the hardcore crowd in favor for soccer moms and little kids

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

The high cost of game development.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 treedoor

[QUOTE="IronBass"]

[QUOTE="lolfaqs"]

lrn2creditcard?

lolfaqs

It's true though. Saying the 360 is cheaper is the equivalent of saying an apartment is cheaper because it has a $1 rent for the first month followed by $500 rent for every subsequent month compared to another apartment with no move-in special and a monthly rent of $400.

I didn't even say that the 360 was cheaper. Where did I say that? You obviously read it somewhere in my post if you were encouraged to reply with this garbage?

Sonic_on_crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Sonic_on_crack

[QUOTE="IronBass"][QUOTE="Sonic_on_crack"]Nintendo Wii , its killing gaming, I mean Wii Fit seems to be the #1 game each month time and time againBoogie_J

if casual crap is what sells, why would a developer take a chance on something truly innovative and groundbreaking? i think his point is in the coming the years the gaming industry may alienate the hardcore crowd in favor for soccer moms and little kids

This also
_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 _en1gma_
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts

None

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

[QUOTE="IronBass"][QUOTE="Sonic_on_crack"]Nintendo Wii , its killing gaming, I mean Wii Fit seems to be the #1 game each month time and time againBoogie_J

But the largest selling games on the Wii are the "hordcore" ones. AND shovelware has ALWAYS existed with the industry. There have always been developers seeking to making budget titles for a quick buck.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 haziqonfire

Wii Fit is not 'casual crap' -- its a quality piece of software aimed at a certain audience -- gaming has always been ruled by 'casual' gamers and accessible titles. I'm sorry if you only see it now because of the Wii because its been spoon fed to you by Nintendo, unlike Sony's approach with the PS1/PS2.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-63f6895020e66
It's true though. Saying the 360 is cheaper is the equivalent of saying an apartment is cheaper because it has a $1 rent for the first month followed by $500 rent for every subsequent month compared to another apartment with no move-in special and a monthly rent of $400.lolfaqs
The only failure in your analogy is that none of the 360 "extra costs" are mandatory.
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#32 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

Didn't realize gaming was in a downfall. I don't really see DLC as a negative. It's optional, not all of it was ready for disc when the title released, and it's a good way for companies to keep up their profit.

Also, must be because of my preferred genre but I really don't care about the "shorter" game length.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-63f6895020e66

And has that happened? Has the Wii stopped us for playing games like Dead Space, Fallout 3, Fable II, Gears 2, MadWorld, Halo Wars, LBP, Killzone 2, RE5, SFIV? Those games have come out in a SIX MONTHS gap. The Wii is not destroying anyhing. The "if"s and "when"s are irrelevant if the actual reality is clearly different.
Sonic_on_crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sonic_on_crack

[QUOTE="Boogie_J"]

[QUOTE="IronBass"] And how's that killing gaming?organic_machine

But the largest selling games on the Wii are the "hordcore" ones. AND shovelware has ALWAYS existed with the industry. There have always been developers seeking to making budget titles for a quick buck.

actually no I'm pretty sure that Wii Fit and Wii Sports are both in the top 5 in Wii games sells, both are complete half assed tech demos only aimed to show what the system can do with polish , high quality visuals and a complete gaming experience not in mind. I really hate when people actually defend this Wii B.S. You're part of the problem.
Sonic_on_crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Sonic_on_crack
[QUOTE="Boogie_J"]

[QUOTE="IronBass"] And how's that killing gaming?IronBass

And has that happened? Has the Wii stopped us for playing games like Dead Space, Fallout 3, Fable II, Gears 2, MadWorld, Halo Wars, LBP, Killzone 2, RE5, SFIV? Those games have come out in a SIX MONTHS gap. The Wii is not destroying anyhing. The "if"s and "when"s are irrelevant if the actual reality is clearly different.

yeah and chances are EA wont spend time making more Dead Space games while it only sold like 2 million, when they can make Wii crap like Wii play or Wii fit and sell 7 million copies
Boogie_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Boogie_J

[QUOTE="Boogie_J"]

[QUOTE="IronBass"] And how's that killing gaming?organic_machine

wii fit sold 17 million copies and shows no sign of slowing down. I dont consider wii fit a hardcore game. guitar hero, rock band, and their endless spinoffs have also sold many milions of copies. the industry is changing and you'll see that in the coming years (quote me on that). devs are not going to take any chances in a recession. expect more casual crap and sequels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-63f6895020e66
yeah and chances are EA wont spend time making more Dead Space games while it only sold like 2 million, when they can make Wii crap like Wii play or Wii fit and sell 7 million copiesSonic_on_crack
Dead Space sold a lot less than that. And that's not the Wii's fault. It was a sum of bad business decissions from EA and bad marketing. Very bad marketing.
Zaistev_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Zaistev_basic
Member since 2002 • 2975 Posts
None of the above mentioned is right. Here's the correct reason for the possible downfall of video games: http://www.slate.com/id/2210732/
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 haziqonfire

[QUOTE="IronBass"][QUOTE="Boogie_J"]

Sonic_on_crack

yeah and chances are EA wont spend time making more Dead Space games while it only sold like 2 million, when they can make Wii crap like Wii play or Wii fit and sell 7 million copies

Listen bud, look at sales numbers of a bunch of games like Halo, Killzone, GTAIV, etc -- they're selling, and selling well. Just because you have this ridiculous amount of hate for Wii and anything related doesn't mean you're right ;).

AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16713 Posts
Too many shooters, 60$ games, DLC, DD etc
Zaistev_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Zaistev_basic

[QUOTE="Sonic_on_crack"][QUOTE="IronBass"] And has that happened? Has the Wii stopped us for playing games like Dead Space, Fallout 3, Fable II, Gears 2, MadWorld, Halo Wars, LBP, Killzone 2, RE5, SFIV? Those games have come out in a SIX MONTHS gap. The Wii is not destroying anyhing. The "if"s and "when"s are irrelevant if the actual reality is clearly different.Haziqonfire

Listen bud, look at sales numbers of a bunch of games like Halo, Killzone, GTAIV, etc -- they're selling, and selling well. Just because you have this ridiculous amount of hate for Wii and anything related doesn't mean your right ;).

So to burst your agrument, despite these games are selling, other HD games that these developer are creating are lossing or the profit margin is low. Wii Play selling 7 million sales has a higher profit margin (due to low cost of production) compare to Halo 3 more than 7 million sales due to huge development costs. No wonder why Nintendo is having huge profit.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Sequals but also the amount of generic FPSs
ShadowedSight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ShadowedSight
Member since 2008 • 1902 Posts

Not. Enough. New. IPs.

Zaistev_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Zaistev_basic
Besides the huge development cost of HD games (and the cost will increase), I also blame generic FPS and Elitists Gamers like the lemmings
789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

None of those.I'm just fine with gaming this gen.As for the downfall of gaming,hardcore gamers will be the cause if they get their wish of annihilating anything casual from the world of gaming.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12333 Posts
I pick none. Console Gaming will fall by itself. Companies will make less and less games because only 20% of all games actually make profit. Games will cost as much as movies to make. People will buy less games because of high costs and finally crash. PC gaming will not survive either. People will pirate every game and companies will make no profit. Gaming is Doomed.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 haziqonfire

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

[QUOTE="Sonic_on_crack"] yeah and chances are EA wont spend time making more Dead Space games while it only sold like 2 million, when they can make Wii crap like Wii play or Wii fit and sell 7 million copiesZaistev_basic

Listen bud, look at sales numbers of a bunch of games like Halo, Killzone, GTAIV, etc -- they're selling, and selling well. Just because you have this ridiculous amount of hate for Wii and anything related doesn't mean your right ;).

So to burst your agrument, despite these games are selling, other HD games that these developer are creating are lossing or the profit margin is low. Wii Play selling 7 million sales has a higher profit margin (due to low cost of production) compare to Halo 3 more than 7 million sales due to huge development costs. No wonder why Nintendo is having huge profit.

Nintendo are not like Sony or Microsoft.

They cannot afford to take a loss -- as the games industry is their primary source of profit, sony and microsoft have other areas to regain losses.

Zaistev_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Zaistev_basic

None of those.I'm just fine with gaming this gen.As for the downfall of gaming,hardcore gamers will be the cause if they get their wish of annihilating anything casual from the world of gaming.

789shadow
I'm a hardcore gamer, in which describes as a gamer who spend lot of hours playing games, AND accepts any kind of gaming regardless of graphics. It is the elitist gamers (perfect description) who want to get rid of the casual gamers.
789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

[QUOTE="789shadow"]

Zaistev_basic

I'm a hardcore gamer, in which describes as a gamer who spend lot of hours playing games, AND accepts any kind of gaming regardless of graphics. It is the elitist gamers (perfect description) who want to get rid of the casual gamers.

OK,fine,elitist gamers then.

Zaistev_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Zaistev_basic
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

[QUOTE="Zaistev_basic"][QUOTE="Haziqonfire"] Listen bud, look at sales numbers of a bunch of games like Halo, Killzone, GTAIV, etc -- they're selling, and selling well. Just because you have this ridiculous amount of hate for Wii and anything related doesn't mean your right ;).

Nintendo are not like Sony or Microsoft.

They cannot afford to take a loss -- as the games industry is their primary source of profit, sony and microsoft have other areas to regain losses.

LOL, it not Sony and Microsoft I'm talking about, its the 3rd party developers. Nintendo is one of the developers, so as Sony, and Microsoft. But what about 3rd parties like EA, Activision etc... They are having financial trouble due to the high cost of development. Strangely enough, the only profitable side for 3rd parties is the so called shovelware games which is ironically hsa a higher profit margin than their HD counterparts. There will be a slippery slope for developers like Rockstar (depsite its success in GTA series, are in need of money and bailout from EA or others), EA (largest developer and publisher of VG) have almost half a billion losses, etc... The 3rd party develoeprs will get even more losses if they don't change their strategy on hanging on the same franchises and empahasis of graphics/online over gameplay/sp. You and I might be a hardcore gamer, but we don't hold the puchasing power the casual has. We never have that power at the beginning, and we should never will.