PlanetSide2 GS Second review ( 9/10 )

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@kingtito said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

I've seen my brother playing it on his high-end PC and it looked very ordinary. Cows only hype it in theory because it has decent scores but that's all.

dat butthurt. keep crying while ps4 gets another EXCLUSIVE AAA game

titanfall logic applied ofcourse

Explain how it's exclusive?

simple, titanfall logic = not on competing platform so its exclusive.

nobody here says that.

people here just point out.... that while cows had ONE 10 hour AA game... X1 had one potentially 1000 hours competitive AAA game.

nobody is refering to exclusitivity in that scenario.

enough with your damage control. such a short time has already told the truth... infamous has dropped off everywhere.... a shallow upfront nothing.

haha why are u assuming everyone stopped playing infamous after 10 hours but the same cant happen for titanwall? i spent more time play splinter cell blacklist than titanfall and guess what? i just played the single player campgain. a multiplayer game doesnt always provide more bang of the buck if u dont enjoy it and yes there are people like me who got bored as **** of titanwall very quick.

Just common sense, on average it will last alot longer for those that like it. because its not set in stone.

but then we are back into preference territory there.

Infamous has dropped off all selling charts.. titanfall hasn't closest thing we have to facts.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@ladyblue said:

@MBirdy88 said:

Hmmm maybe it has improved since launch then... will give it a chance when I'm taking a break from FFXIV

@ladyblue heres a wild idea.... and by wild I mean not wild, and completely reasonable... maybe its you.

Not reasonable at all, unless you think everyone should be bashed for having an opinion. what did I say that was so horrible?

I just shared my opinion, it wasn't attacking anyone. I don't think this game looks fun, and I didn't enjoy the prime series. Is that a crime? No

yes because negative opinion at a whim in a specific game thread never irritate anyone right?

also... MAYBE heres a hint, the ridiculously poor contrast between gamespot's default white and your horrible choice of pink makes anything you write a conscience annoyance. ... why even do it?

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@ladyblue said:

@MBirdy88 said:

Hmmm maybe it has improved since launch then... will give it a chance when I'm taking a break from FFXIV

@ladyblue heres a wild idea.... and by wild I mean not wild, and completely reasonable... maybe its you.

Not reasonable at all, unless you think everyone should be bashed for having an opinion. what did I say that was so horrible?

I just shared my opinion, it wasn't attacking anyone. I don't think this game looks fun, and I didn't enjoy the prime series. Is that a crime? No

yes because negative opinion at a whim in a specific game thread never irritate anyone right?

also... MAYBE heres a hint, the ridiculously poor contrast between gamespot's default white and your horrible choice of pink makes anything you write a conscience annoyance. ... why even do it?

Do you want me to lie instead? Besides everyone does it, even you. Why am I getting singled out.

It's becoming very clear that you just have a problem with me for whatever reason. False, I carefully considered the shade of pink before picking this color so it wouldn't be hard to read. It's just another poor excuse for justifying your needless bashing.

Isn't it odd that you jumped straight on me even though other users posted negative remarks.

It's not me, it's you. Have a nice day.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@kingtito said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

I've seen my brother playing it on his high-end PC and it looked very ordinary. Cows only hype it in theory because it has decent scores but that's all.

nobody here says that.

people here just point out.... that while cows had ONE 10 hour AA game... X1 had one potentially 1000 hours competitive AAA game.

enough with your damage control. such a short time has already told the truth... infamous has dropped off everywhere.... a shallow upfront nothing.

haha why are u assuming everyone stopped playing infamous after 10 hours but the same cant happen for titanwall? i spent more time play splinter cell blacklist than titanfall and guess what? i just played the single player campgain. a multiplayer game doesnt always provide more bang of the buck if u dont enjoy it and yes there are people like me who got bored as **** of titanwall very quick.

Just common sense, on average it will last alot longer for those that like it. because its not set in stone.

Infamous has dropped off all selling charts.. titanfall hasn't closest thing we have to facts.

so more assumptions ok

and what drop off are u talking about? which charts? we only had 1 npd so im assuming u are talking about the uk one haha so now uk = world. uk isnt even the biggest market in europe, also lets have a look at germany charts see where titanfall is on there, oh thats right number 41 (x360 version) x1 version isnt even in top 50 where as infamous is no.5, up from no.8 from last week. haha talk about a drop off

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#55 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

I guess that makes PS2 the most overrated game on gamespot then.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

For those who haven't played it, Planetside 2 is NOT for solo play. You practically need to join squad or outfit to have any sense of objective.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Makes me want to give this game another shot on pc

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#58 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I really want to see how this game translates to the console community. The lack of external VoiP and readily availability forums/community tools is really going to change the dynamics of the teamplay. Planetside 2 is all about the higher level team coordination. As I type this I am sitting in a teamspeak channel with 38 members of my outfit organized in 4 squads of 12ish and we're working with 2-3 other outfits each with 20-50 members online to take territory and beat back the enemies.

I doubt we'll see even a fraction of that kind of high level teamwork on the PS4 and taht honestly scares me as Planetside 2 is not meant to be played alone or in small groups. Squad sizes are 12 men (compared to 4-5 for Battlefield 3/4) and you can have 4 squads to form a platoon of 48 players (already double the size of PS3/Xbox 360 BF4 total game size).

You can have outfits with unlimited members of course, but I have no idea how in-game comms will work. On the PC version you can have VoiP to your squad, platoon, or outfit. There is also a high level command chat that's across the entire faction that players have to unlock.

I'm just really interested to see how this game plays. It's a PC game through and through. I don't know if the console community can truly embrace something like this game. Average play session is easily over 2 hours and all of the aforementioned communication elements aren't going to translate well to the console. This is ignoring the fact that the average engagement range of infantry is over 50 meters (for comparison CoD is roughly 10 with snipers skewing the average) and you have to do that with dual analogs. I have no idea how that will work either.

Still if they can make it work Planetside 2 is a fantastic shooter that requires time investment and is extremely rewarding when you are in its prime. Those who hate against it here have probably never played it nearly to the level that I have nor understood exactly what they were getting themselves into when they downloaded it.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@kingtito said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

nobody here says that.

so more assumptions ok

and what drop off are u talking about? which charts? we only had 1 npd so im assuming u are talking about the uk one haha so now uk = world. uk isnt even the biggest market in europe, also lets have a look at germany charts see where titanfall is on there, oh thats right number 41 (x360 version) x1 version isnt even in top 50 where as infamous is no.5, up from no.8 from last week. haha talk about a drop off

So Germany now == UK? You're grasping at straws you pathetic fanboy. Infamous is nowhere to be seen in the UK and most likely fallen off in the US.

Ok you may stick your head back up Sony's ass.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

@lostrib said:

Well considering they got rid of .5 ratings, they basically gave it the same score

The same score with the new system would be 8 since it's in the same tier as 8.5 used to be, Great.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By haberman13
Member since 2003 • 2414 Posts

Truly one of the best games ever.

If not the best.

Massive, massive battles. Exactly what we all dream about a game being like. You MUST play this game someday, if you haven't.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@glez13 said:

@lostrib said:

Well considering they got rid of .5 ratings, they basically gave it the same score

The same score with the new system would be 8 since it's in the same tier as 8.5 used to be, Great.

How do you know they wouldn't have rounded up? Do we have any examples of them going from 8.5(old system) to 8 (new system)?

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By haberman13
Member since 2003 • 2414 Posts

You are truly clueless if you don't like this game.

As in, dumb. If you even remotely liked Halo / BF / CoD then this game is mind blowing.

(if you like CoD you might be dumb as well)

PS2 is unrivaled.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 nutcrackr

Who doesn't like to zergs with hundreds of soldiers running around in abysmally designed structures? A game that is only fun in huge groups is not fun, you are having fun with the groups not the game.

Quantity is not quality. That certainly does not meant they are mutually exclusive, but PS2 has more of the former and little of the latter.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator

@nutcrackr said:

Who doesn't like to zergs with hundreds of soldiers running around in abysmally designed structures? A game that is only fun in huge groups is not fun, you are having fun with the groups not the game.

Quantity is not quality. That certainly does not meant they are mutually exclusive, but PS2 has more of the former and little of the latter.

You clearly haven't played since right after the release.

A game that is only fun in huge groups IS fun if the game was designed around exactly that. Otherwise you're dismissing decades of extremely popular MMO content as not fun despite the obvious popularity. So either you're being shallow or millions of people don't know what fun is.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#66  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

I played it once, year ago and got spawned trap the first time I was playing.

Uninstalled.

Game is not for me.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By nutcrackr

@Wasdie said:

@nutcrackr said:

A game that is only fun in huge groups IS fun if the game was designed around exactly that. Otherwise you're dismissing decades of extremely popular MMO content as not fun despite the obvious popularity. So either you're being shallow or millions of people don't know what fun is.

Haven't played since late December 2012. The things I disliked about PS2 are the shooting mechanics, samey weapons, level structures (abhorrent) and the general flow of attack and defend which is nothing more than attrition on a huge scale. I hated the huge downtime as you wait for everybody to actually get their shit together and load up into the transport. The other major, game-breaking problem they had was the player culling when there were too many people in the one area. From what I have read just now the culling is still present in some situations, which is completely ludicrous for a game that is all about huge player numbers. Have the other issues changed? Do they have newer structures, do they have better gun mechanics? Can you just jump in and have a 30-60min firefight with small groups of enemies? Is there a better balancing between vehicles and infantry?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

the closest we got to that was prob bad company 2 vietnam expansion which was fun

Yup, liked it way more than the base game. I would really like BF to return to a historical setting. It's been nothing but modern settings for so long now.

Scipio8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Scipio8
Member since 2013 • 937 Posts

Tried Planetside, got bored in 10 minutes, uninstalled

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 ghostwarrior786

@kingtito said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@kingtito said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

nobody here says that.

so more assumptions ok

So Germany now == UK? You're grasping at straws you pathetic fanboy. Infamous is nowhere to be seen in the UK and most likely fallen off in the US.

haha u clown germany is bigger market than uk and its u and ur fellow lems that are clutching at straws every week claming ownage when uk sales chart come out even though uk is the 3rd biggest market in europe after germany and france. and how the **** would u know infamous has most likely fallen off in uk? is that another one of ur great predictions? remember the x1 will win march because of bu-bu-titanfall? haha

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#71 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@lostrib said:

They could have just given it an 8

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator

@nutcrackr said:

@Wasdie said:

@nutcrackr said:

Haven't played since late December 2012. The things I disliked about PS2 are the shooting mechanics, samey weapons, level structures (abhorrent) and the general flow of attack and defend which is nothing more than attrition on a huge scale. I hated the huge downtime as you wait for everybody to actually get their shit together and load up into the transport. The other major, game-breaking problem they had was the player culling when there were too many people in the one area. From what I have read just now the culling is still present in some situations, which is completely ludicrous for a game that is all about huge player numbers. Have the other issues changed? Do they have newer structures, do they have better gun mechanics? Can you just jump in and have a 30-60min firefight with small groups of enemies? Is there a better balancing between vehicles and infantry?

Let me break it down

-Shooting mechaincs have gotten tighter as they greatly reduced the flinch when you got hit. Shooting does feel tighter due to tweaks to the recoil, cone of fire, and general improvements to the hitboxes and netcode (netcode is still not perfect but that's to be expected for a game that can handle 500 player battles). The TTK is still much higher than your average FPS today but it works out well now.

-All three factions have gotten dozens of new weapons to completely fill out the gaps in their arsenal. Weapons have been retweaked and balanced to not feel as similar. Some guns still do feel pretty similar but that's their point, especially when they are cross faction. More weapons being added next week with a few more changes to increase diversity.

-All three maps have been basically revamped. Every single base has had buildings added, more cover added, entire new pathways, caves, jumppads, elevators, and pretty much everything else added. Amerish had a massive revamp that basically makes every single base completely different as they now incorporate more features into the terrain (more tunnels, natural cover) rather than just copy and pasted the same buildings. Bases are made up of the same buildings for the most part (saves on memory), but they are always laid out differently and connected differently. Furthermore Amerish and Esmair have a lot more custom structures built for each base. Bases are far more diverse while feeling familer like you can easily find your way around them. A few new building structures have been added to the game as well. All three major facilities have been given huge overhauls to improve their flow and they are far more fun. Generators are now placed more logically and provide a lot of smaller objectives to accomplish rather than just taking the whole base.

-Flow of attack was completely revamped with the reintroduction of the lattice system. Now each base is connected to 2-3 other bases via the lattice system. You cannot attack bases that aren't on the front line and they must be connected to a friendly owned territory. This basically builds up lanes the attackers follow which makes predicting where the next battle is going to take place completely possible. Capture timers have been completely overhauled to minimize the amount of down time waiting for a base to capture. There are still large zergs but because of the lattice system you can predict where they are going. Outfits often manipulate the zerg to help them accomplish goals. Two zergs meeting now are a lot more fun as there are far more veteran players among them who know what they are doing, the bases are better designed, the balance is better, the culling has been fixed (more on that later), and the lattice system ensures that a fight lasts instead of one faction just disappearing allowing the other to just roflstomp them. Zergs are actually fun now and are a core part of this game and I would never want that to change.

-Downtimes have been worked on as now if you are in a squad you can instantly redeploy into a moving sunderer or galaxy. No more waiting around to be picked up, just redeploy and respawn. This has helped greatly with the flow and it has increased intensity of battles and tactical options for defeating an enemy with the ability to quickly redeploy on an enemy's flank.

-Player culling has been worked on quite a bit. It still does exist but it depends on your roll. You'll never be attacked by something you can't see and for the most part it's never an issue. Fights feel far bigger because you can see more players now. They worked on the LoD and animations as well as the server side physics handling and player location to bascially remove all local culling that was going on. Never once in the past 6 months have I felt like I'm missing out on stuff. The most obvious times the culling is happening is when you're in a fight of over 300 people crammed in a tiny area. Then you'll notice your faction pop in from time to time. They focus on culling out unimportant players to your perspective. Your squad isn't culled, your platoon isn't culled, and your roll isn't culled (if you're AA they won't cull aircraft, if you're in a taken they don't cull out any anti-tank weapons or vehicles, stuff like that).

-You can jump in for 30-60 minutes and find good firefights if you know how the new systems work. The game is still best played with at least one squad for more than one hour though. It's not a CoD substitute in that regard. My playsessions are usually 2 hours on average.

-The vehicle/infantry balance is FAR better than it was back in early 2012. Hell the whole game is almost perfectly balanced now (trust me, that wasn't easy to achieve). There are also way more abilities for the classes, a new vehicle, more equipment, more guns for the aircraft, and next week the medic is getting an upgrade. The infantry/vehicle balance was solved when they started addressing base design so that vehicles couldn't just camp every single building. Most buildings now provide far more cover and on Amerish there is a lot more natural cover. HE was reduced against infantry and there are more AT weapons for infantry to use. Overall tanks and aircraft have their place but they don't beat the shit out of infantry anymore.

You would really like what they did with the maps I think. No longer are the bases as cookie cutter as they were. They do share very similar structures of course but now each base is laid out extremely different with more cover, more natrual cover, and different building configurations. Amerish is the map that had been completely redone. Natural caves, multi-level bases, bases that span the entire side of a mountain, lots of jump pads, gav lifts, and teleporters. Bases surrounded by moats and/or walls. Bridges that can be hacked so enemies cannot cross. Even the layouts of all 3 major facilities have been drastically improved and are a lot more fun to fight at.

The game is bascially a whole new beast now. New UI, new mecahnics, new weapons, a new vehicle, new maps, new voice overs, new pretty much everything. You really should give it another try.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

I wouldn't buy a PS4 for this game alone, but it looks really, really good and they keep improving it. Hate to miss out on this one as I don't PC game. I could imagine Titanfall getting a re-review in 6 months as well. Devs keep refining their games and the quality shows.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

@kingtito said:

@glez13 said:

@lostrib said:

How do you know they wouldn't have rounded up? Do we have any examples of them going from 8.5(old system) to 8 (new system)?

Because then it would mean that their system is broken if a Great game suddenly gets rounded up into a Superb game. The old 0.1 and 0.5 increments just differentiated games within a same tier, they in no way made the games enter a new tier.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#75  Edited By finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

@shawn30 said:

I wouldn't buy a PS4 for this game alone, but it looks really, really good and they keep improving it. Hate to miss out on this one as I don't PC game. I could imagine Titanfall getting a re-review in 6 months as well. Devs keep refining their games and the quality shows.

Titanfall did get re-reviewed and it got a much lower score than the first review.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#76 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts
@blangenakker said:

For those who haven't played it, Planetside 2 is NOT for solo play. You practically need to join squad or outfit to have any sense of objective.

So its one THOSE games huh? i dont know many people that play PS2 so playing it solo online wont be as fun as say playing CoD alone? i had a similar issue with that EVE game that came out on PS3 and that game was too big i couldnt get into it.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#77  Edited By lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

another game Lemmings miss out bbbbut the ps4 has no games

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@kingtito said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@kingtito said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

nobody here says that.

so more assumptions ok

haha u clown germany is bigger market than uk and its u and ur fellow lems that are clutching at straws every week claming ownage when uk sales chart come out even though uk is the 3rd biggest market in europe after germany and france. and how the **** would u know infamous has most likely fallen off in uk? is that another one of ur great predictions? remember the x1 will win march because of bu-bu-titanfall? haha

Germany isn't bigger console market than the UK, you clown! In the UK, consoles account for higher market share than in Germany. It is a fact, I have sources to back it up. Since you're hell bent on doing fellatio to Sony and bashing Xbox and you don't take PC into consideration, I thought you should note this.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 ghostwarrior786

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@kingtito said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@kingtito said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

nobody here says that.

so more assumptions ok

Germany isn't bigger console market than the UK, you clown! In the UK, consoles account for higher market share than in Germany. It is a fact, I have sources to back it up. Since you're hell bent on doing fellatio to Sony and bashing Xbox and you don't take PC into consideration, I thought you should note this.

i said bigger market so my point stands and lol as if ze germans can resists the ps4 revolution, 0 x1 games in top 50 hmmm very interesting

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#80 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59070 Posts

Looks like Playstation 4 doesn't need any Destiny to be ballin' the competition.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I have had this game for months and still haven't played it for more than the ten minutes I played the first time and only time I loaded it up months ago.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@kingtito said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Sony made the game.

He didn't ask who made it. He asked how it is exclusive.