PlanetSide2 GS Second review ( 9/10 )

• 81 results
#1 Posted by finalstar2007 (24899 posts) -

GS gives PlanetSide 2 a second review ( Second opinion ) and gets a 9/10 ( with the first opinion being 8.5/10)

Very interesting to see GameSpot is enjoying this game, will definitely try this game out once it comes out on PS4.

any more opinions from those who played the game is appreciated.

Link: http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/planetside-2-updated-review/1900-6415720/

The Good
Unmatched massive scale of first-person shooter combat
Easily identifiable and iconic empire-specific models and sounds
Multitude of play styles available for any player's tastes
Experiences often result in war stories to share with friends
The Bad
Technical hiccups can interrupt play unexpectedly
#2 Posted by Heil68 (43273 posts) -

awesome. Hope they get the PS4 version right because if they do I'll give it a go!

#3 Edited by lostrib (33474 posts) -

Well considering they got rid of .5 ratings, they basically gave it the same score

#4 Edited by LadyBlue (3927 posts) -

Doesn't look like fun.

#5 Edited by charizard1605 (55613 posts) -

I thought series fans hated this game?

Game looks like fun though, might give it a spin sometime.

#6 Posted by finalstar2007 (24899 posts) -

Lets play it on PS4! ( whenever i get one that is :/ )

#7 Edited by bobbetybob (19132 posts) -

I still don't get this game, every time I've tried to play it I ended up bored out of my mind.

#8 Posted by EducatingU_PCMR (544 posts) -

@ladyblue:

Don't worry it'll come to PS4. It will look like fun then.

#9 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3678 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Lets play it on PS4! ( whenever i get one that is :/ )

charizard plays the wiiu version :(

#10 Edited by PonchoTaco (1945 posts) -

Boring

#11 Edited by LadyBlue (3927 posts) -

@EducatingU_PCMR said:

@ladyblue:

Don't worry it'll come to PS4. It will look like fun then.

This is just insane. lol Another one to avoid/ignore.

The game doesn't look fun regardless of what system it gets released on.

#12 Edited by Wasdie (49561 posts) -

I've got hundreds of hours in and I play on a regular basis. It's a fantastic game. Once you learn how everything works and how you can influence the battle the game becomes the most robust and rewarding FPS you can play.

The game isn't for everybody. It's not constant action and there is a lot of down time. That's when the decisions are made and you figure out how to best influence the coming battles. It's a much more strategical game than any other FPS.

No battle really plays out the same and each situation plays off of each other seamlessly. Once you figure it all out it's hard to play any other FPS regularly.

#13 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38210 posts) -

If you don't have a group to play PS2 with you will get bored out of your brains fast

#14 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (8294 posts) -

I've seen my brother playing it on his high-end PC and it looked very ordinary. Cows only hype it in theory because it has decent scores but that's all.

#15 Posted by slaves (1166 posts) -

I'm really excited for the this game to hit PS4. If anyone wants to group up to play when its out just add me on PSN

#16 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3678 posts) -

I've seen my brother playing it on his high-end PC and it looked very ordinary. Cows only hype it in theory because it has decent scores but that's all.

dat butthurt. keep crying while ps4 gets another EXCLUSIVE AAA game

titanfall logic applied ofcourse

#17 Edited by speedfog (2998 posts) -

The game was fun for an hour, after that it was just a spawnkillingfest.

But the graphics were awesome on the highest settings and playing in a night fight.

#18 Posted by Wasdie (49561 posts) -

It's not very ordinary. On face value it plays like a good, AAA quality shooter, but there is far more going on. It's alright to stay ignorant though. That's what this place is all for.

#19 Edited by AdamPA1006 (6417 posts) -

I really like it, have invested a lot of hours in it. Guys it free to play, give it a shot!! Since COD has collapsed on PC, and BF4 was a massive dissapointment and still has big lag and rubberbanding issues, PS2 has been my goto PC FPS recently.

#20 Edited by Dire_Weasel (15932 posts) -

I really appreciate these updated reviews and second opinions.

#21 Posted by finalstar2007 (24899 posts) -

I really appreciate these updated reviews and second opinions.

Agreed these second opinions are probably the best thing GS done in a while as you get to hear more than one person's opinion ( if your into the whole reading reviews to begin with ).

Titanfall is also another game that got a second opinion review which received a lower score than the first opinion.

#22 Posted by TheGuardian03 (21443 posts) -

I like these second reviewes. Sure would like to see the PS4 version of TLOU gets reviewed or the ps3 one.

Anyways i'll give this a try whenever it releases on PS4.

#23 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

Might try it. More interested in Destiny.

#24 Edited by Wasdie (49561 posts) -

Might try it. More interested in Destiny.

Completely different games really. Desinty is a pseudo MMO with a focus on PvE, Planetside 2 is a fully persistent MMO with 100% PvP combat.

#25 Posted by kingtito (4804 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Explain how it's exclusive?

#26 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (5127 posts) -

@kingtito said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Sony made the game.

#27 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8294 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

It's not very ordinary. On face value it plays like a good, AAA quality shooter, but there is far more going on. It's alright to stay ignorant though. That's what this place is all for.

Oh, I see you've burned a mental snapshot of me being some kind of a simpleton into your retina. Thanks.

#28 Posted by Jankarcop (8893 posts) -

Very interesting to see GameSpot is enjoying this game, will definitely try this game out once it comes out on PS4.

Why don't you want to play the better version though?

#29 Edited by Wasdie (49561 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@Wasdie said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Oh, I see you've burned a mental snapshot of me being some kind of a simpleton into your retina. Thanks.

Well if you're making your assumptions based on watching somebody else play and not actually playing it yourself or learning the game, then yes, you're being ignorant.

I mean you could say that it doesn't interest you, but instead you go on about how people only hype it because of scores which implies you think it's a bad game not worthy of getting excited over.

#30 Edited by Mr-Kutaragi (1925 posts) -

I will play this on ps4 rather than next battlefield cash in game from EA

#31 Edited by kingtito (4804 posts) -

@kingtito said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Sony made the game.

That doesn't make it exclusive or did cows suddenly move the goal post?

#32 Posted by Wasdie (49561 posts) -

@kingtito said:

Same as Xbox fanboys crying out "exclusive" when a game is on the PC/Xbox. Fanboys do that all the time.

PS2 isn't going to be exclusive when it launches on the PS4.

#33 Edited by kingtito (4804 posts) -

@Wasdie: Did I mention XBox at all? Do I care what fanboys say about TF? Does this make the game exclusive? I know you're a cow dude but no need for you to come running to his rescue. No point in bringing up what OTHER fanboys say.

#34 Edited by cfisher2833 (1552 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

Doesn't look like fun.

Well considering you hate Metroid Prime, I am not surprised. You just have bad taste. Perhaps you should take up another hobby.

#35 Edited by Mr-Kutaragi (1925 posts) -

@kingtito said:

@Wasdie: Did I mention XBox at all? Do I care what fanboys say about TF? Does this make the game exclusive? I know you're a cow dude but no need for you to come running to his rescue. No point in bringing up what OTHER fanboys say.

lol bitter crying lem. He call you out because you are hypocrite joke and only attack sony yet ignore worse behavior of Lem and cry when other poster point this out. This why lem are joke of gaming.

#36 Edited by LadyBlue (3927 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

Doesn't look like fun.

Well considering you hate Metroid Prime, I am not surprised. You just have bad taste. Perhaps you should take up another hobby.

What is up with trolls today.

I hate that they turned it into an fps series, and I still say it was the worst thing to happen to the series. I didn't enjoy the Prime series, get over it.

#37 Edited by MBirdy88 (7473 posts) -

Hmmm maybe it has improved since launch then... will give it a chance when I'm taking a break from FFXIV

@ladyblue heres a wild idea.... and by wild I mean not wild, and completely reasonable... maybe its you.

#38 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (3678 posts) -

@kingtito said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

simple, titanfall logic = not on competing platform so its exclusive.

#39 Posted by MBirdy88 (7473 posts) -

@kingtito said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

nobody here says that.

people here just point out.... that while cows had ONE 10 hour AA game... X1 had one potentially 1000 hours competitive AAA game.

nobody is refering to exclusitivity in that scenario.

enough with your damage control. such a short time has already told the truth... infamous has dropped off everywhere.... a shallow upfront nothing.

#40 Edited by Masculus (2826 posts) -

I played it some time ago, was not good at all. I suppose it must have improved? It had little exposition of it's mechanics and suffered with excessive information, menus, and abusive prices.

#41 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16256 posts) -

I still haven't tried this game out. I should, it looks intersting enough.

I think I would be more interested if it was an FPS with this scale but set in WW2 or Vietnam. That is something I would love to see.

#42 Posted by Wasdie (49561 posts) -

@Masculus said:

I played it some time ago, was not good at all. I suppose it must have improved? It had little exposition of it's mechanics and suffered with excessive information, menus, and abusive prices.

The prices are still a bit high but completely meaningless since anything that affects gameplay cannot be bought with money.

The mechanics have improved greatly and there is a tutorial to explain how things work. That said it's still not your average FPS. You won't be just running and gunning your entire session. There is a lot of downtime in between large fights. Strategy is employed during these times to influence the next fight.

There are also a lot of in between fighting going on which you need to understand the game a lot better to truely appreciate. There is nothing really simple about the metagame of Planetside 2. Insta-gratification is not really the idea. A good play session lasts 1-2 hours minimum. Because of this there are a lot of menus, UI elements. Between the ever persistent and changing battlefield to the character progression, vehicle progression, weapon progression, and squad/platoon elements, there is quite a bit to take in.

#43 Edited by LadyBlue (3927 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

Hmmm maybe it has improved since launch then... will give it a chance when I'm taking a break from FFXIV

@ladyblue heres a wild idea.... and by wild I mean not wild, and completely reasonable... maybe its you.

Not reasonable at all, unless you think everyone should be bashed for having an opinion. what did I say that was so horrible?

I just shared my opinion, it wasn't attacking anyone. I don't think this game looks fun, and I didn't enjoy the prime series. Is that a crime? No

#44 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (3678 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@kingtito said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

nobody here says that.

people here just point out.... that while cows had ONE 10 hour AA game... X1 had one potentially 1000 hours competitive AAA game.

nobody is refering to exclusitivity in that scenario.

enough with your damage control. such a short time has already told the truth... infamous has dropped off everywhere.... a shallow upfront nothing.

haha why are u assuming everyone stopped playing infamous after 10 hours but the same cant happen for titanwall? i spent more time play splinter cell blacklist than titanfall and guess what? i just played the single player campgain. a multiplayer game doesnt always provide more bang of the buck if u dont enjoy it and yes there are people like me who got bored as fuck of titanwall very quick.

#45 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (3678 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

I still haven't tried this game out. I should, it looks intersting enough.

I think I would be more interested if it was an FPS with this scale but set in WW2 or Vietnam. That is something I would love to see.

the closest we got to that was prob bad company 2 vietnam expansion which was fun

#46 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8294 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

@kingtito said:

Same as Xbox fanboys crying out "exclusive" when a game is on the PC/Xbox. Fanboys do that all the time.

PS2 isn't going to be exclusive when it launches on the PS4.

It's okay to use such games as leverage, but calling them "exclusive" is a different ballgame.

#47 Posted by kingtito (4804 posts) -

@kingtito said:

lol bitter crying lem. He call you out because you are hypocrite joke and only attack sony yet ignore worse behavior of Lem and cry when other poster point this out. This why lem are joke of gaming.

Point out my hypocrisy? I've stated many times TF wasn't exclusive but I did say it wasn't on a PS console. That's not what was said here, he called PS2 exclusive which it isn't. WASDIE decided to play captain save a ho and come rescue him. Fact still remains PS2 isn't exclusive so that term shouldn't be use regardless of what other fanboys say. You probably won't understand because frankly you have your head so far up Sony's ass you couldn't see 2 inches in front of your face.

#48 Posted by Daious (1061 posts) -

I am really excited for their new MMO zombie/shooter game. H1Z1. PS2 engine is perfect it for it. Server support is Ace. Tons of people.

Alpha is coming soon!!!

#49 Posted by kingtito (4804 posts) -

@kingtito said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

And just like EVERYONE else said....not exclusive kid. Nice try cow

#50 Posted by sibu_xgamer (319 posts) -

Now THIS is a good FPS. Sadly the industry is dominated by CoDs and Titanfalls. Hopefully people's tastes will someday improve.