Planetside 2 - strong contender for Graphics King.

• 141 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Yesterday the 4th massive continent for Planetside 2 was partially released on the test server for initial player testing. In the past few months Planetside 2 got a few bumps with the rendering quality and the level design and art has all greatly improved through patches as they continue to improve the game. 

Here are some of the pictures this Graphics King contender. Note that these are all in-game taken by players with the hud and weapon model turned off.

daSADm1.jpg

MZsjphg.jpg

7fpR2CG.jpg

peS12Hm.jpg

sEKc5SD.jpg

snUQRF1.jpg

pxE7MfX.jpg

Z0DjuyQ.jpg

And this is just one continent. All of them look fantastic. Here are some more

dXpbR3z.jpg

9OL09rn.jpg

ASICgN9.jpg

wbaKEC9.jpg

Here are the albums I took from if you want to see more picture. Hossin album.Second album.

I love how far F2P games have come. Given the size and scale of this game, I actually believe right now it's the best looking game on the market. Even Crysis 3 with it's insane detail cannot match the scale of this game. In motion it's something really special to watch.

Pleaes do not quote this post.

Oh yeah, this is coming to PS4 day one. So Sony fans have something to look forward too. The graphics renderer is very well optimized so you should get graphics at 30 fps and 1080p very similar to what I've posted above. They are making more optimizations on the CPU side of things as that's where the engine struggles in the 2000 player battles. I believe it should be smooth when it launches on the PS4. 

BigBoss255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 BigBoss255
Member since 2010 • 3539 Posts
How does it play though? From the gameplay videos It looks like that really crap game from a few year ago, Sector 7 or something.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
Have they unf**ked triple monitor yet?
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Wasdie  Moderator

How does it play though? From the gameplay videos It looks like that really crap game from a few year ago, Sector 7 or something.BigBoss255

Plays nothing like Section 7.

It's not a CoD or Battlefield, you have to invest more time into it, but it's far more rewarding. In a few months the game is going to introduce a huge persistant fronline that spans each continent. No longer do you just fight over 1 continent at a time, you will be fighting a much more persistant fight. There is also a major change to the metagame coming that requires each player to manage their own resources while making sure the regions they are fighting in are properly supplied.

By 2014 Planetside 2 will have more depth than any competitive shooter on the market. However as it stands right now it's mostly like a large-scale Battlefield over 8x8km continents with 3 factions of 666 players fighting over territory on a persistant battlefield. The 3 continents are not linked by anything so you cannot take over them. It's been a major complaint of the game that it's a bit shallow given the size and scale. The size and scale also mean the game has some balance and population issues while new players have a very hard time finding a fight. They've made it 100x better than when it was launched but it's still far from ideal. It's a pickup-and-play game like CoD.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Wasdie  Moderator

Have they unf**ked triple monitor yet?lowe0

No and their engine guys are hard at work with Everquest Next, so I doubt any major engine changes are coming anytime soon. 

The PS4 team is working on a PS4 interface and CPU optimizations that should greatly improve performance for everybody.

homeboylizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 homeboylizard
Member since 2010 • 1289 Posts

Not even close. The scale is amazing and there are some nice viewpoints...but the textures and overall graphics you see in combat is standard. Textures up-close are very low-res and the character models are average too.

It's a standard look of a huge MMO and should not be considered as a graphics king. Crysis 2 and Crysis 3 may only compete for that title.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

Given the size and scale of this game

Wasdie
Just no. Seriously. Graphics king because of the scale? That's silly.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

nethernova

And the details, or did you ignore the pictures. 

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Wasdie  Moderator

Not even close. The scale is amazing and there are some nice viewpoints...but the textures and overall graphics you see in combat is standard. Textures up-close are very low-res and the character models are average too.

It's a standard look of a huge MMO and should not be considered as a graphics king. Crysis 2 and Crysis 3 may only compete for that title.

homeboylizard

How is it the "standard look" of a huge MMO? Explain that to me. 

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

Arma 3 nuff said

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Wasdie  Moderator

Arma 3 nuff said

TheFadeForever

You mean with the horrible LoD system and flat trees after about 200 meters?

I love ArmA 3 and it's new lighting is fantastic, but it will always have issues with LoD and detail because it's a sim.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

nethernova

Yeah, it's no graphics king. If you want to use the scale to justify it's visuals then just call it technically impressive, not graphically impressive.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="nethernova"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

parkurtommo

Yeah, it's no graphics king. If you want to use the scale to justify it's visually then just call it technically impressive, not graphically impressive.

So those pictures above aren't graphically impressive?

I play Crysis 3 and ArmA 3 on the same PC I play Planetside 2 and Planetside 2 easily holds up against them.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

Sorry Wasdie but I just don't agree.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 parkurtommo

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="nethernova"] Just no. Seriously. Graphics king because of the scale? That's silly.Wasdie

Yeah, it's no graphics king. If you want to use the scale to justify it's visually then just call it technically impressive, not graphically impressive.

So those pictures above aren't graphically impressive?

I play Crysis 3 and ArmA 3 on the same PC I play Planetside 2 and Planetside 2 easily holds up against them.

Eh... maybe in movement. The lighting looks good but, for example, those trees models don't look very good at all. The scale doesn't allow the type of detail you would see in real graphics king contenders like, more recently, Metro Last Light or Crysis 3 (I don't see how you would think this looks better than Crysis 3). That said when I played it, it was in beta and was extremely unoptimized, with my specs I could only run it on medium.
FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

played it on pc with the highest settings and 1080p, with 50+ fps.... its pretty average and the textures are average too, along with the character models, kinda sad you console kids are hyping this.:lol:

Supabul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Supabul
Member since 2004 • 4266 Posts

I played Planetside 2, its not going to win anything for Graphics, its decent

nyzma23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nyzma23
Member since 2013 • 1003 Posts

if you think planetside 2 is graphic king then clearly you never play it before ,planetside 2 known for laggy gameplay even with high end computer and the graphic is average for pc

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5559 Posts

How is the entry barrier in this game?  I am very interested but I am worried the game has gone on too long and the community would be too advanced for a noob to join in and expect to may any real advancement.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

Sure is, played it on my old comp (medium-ish settings) and didn't think much of it, played again last night on max everything @1080 and it blew me away, especially in a big heated battle with tons of explosions, tracers and physX effects going on.

And a screenshot of my own to add to the thread.

8vxc.png

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15581 Posts

Is the performance any better than at launch? Scale and graphics don't mean much when every fight runs at 10 fps no matter what graphics settings you have.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

[QUOTE="TheFadeForever"]

Arma 3 nuff said

Wasdie

You mean with the horrible LoD system and flat trees after about 200 meters?

I love ArmA 3 and it's new lighting is fantastic, but it will always have issues with LoD and detail because it's a sim.

PS2 had Lod issue of own especially when it was in its Beta

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

How is the entry barrier in this game?  I am very interested but I am worried the game has gone on too long and the community would be too advanced for a noob to join in and expect to may any real advancement.

enzyme36

You can't solo this game. It is all but required to be playing with a group on mics. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts
The game does look good. I just never found it any fun.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#27 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

are we still doing Graphics kings?

*yawn*

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 enzyme36

[QUOTE="enzyme36"]

Masenkoe

You can't solo this game. It is all but required to be playing with a group on mics. 

Gotcha... how about me and one other player on a mic?

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#29 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
Great, so another nearly empty continent. Also, PS2 will never be GK, that game barely has any physics at all, hell it uses static death animations that don't even adjust to terrain.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#30 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

[QUOTE="Masenkoe"]

[QUOTE="enzyme36"]

enzyme36

tbh the only person who needs a mic is the guy leading the op, as long as you listen you'll be fine.
enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 enzyme36

[QUOTE="enzyme36"]

[QUOTE="Masenkoe"]

lightleggy

tbh the only person who needs a mic is the guy leading the op, as long as you listen you'll be fine.

Good to know... may intall this weekend and have a swing at it.  Its affordable enuff :P

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9875 Posts
That's strong art direction and coloring, more than tech-graphics.
Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Without a doubt one of the prettiest games around in my opinion here are some shots of the game at 2560x1080(21:9).

BigBoss255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BigBoss255
Member since 2010 • 3539 Posts

[QUOTE="BigBoss255"]How does it play though? From the gameplay videos It looks like that really crap game from a few year ago, Sector 7 or something.Wasdie

Plays nothing like Section 7.

It's not a CoD or Battlefield, you have to invest more time into it, but it's far more rewarding. In a few months the game is going to introduce a huge persistant fronline that spans each continent. No longer do you just fight over 1 continent at a time, you will be fighting a much more persistant fight. There is also a major change to the metagame coming that requires each player to manage their own resources while making sure the regions they are fighting in are properly supplied.

By 2014 Planetside 2 will have more depth than any competitive shooter on the market. However as it stands right now it's mostly like a large-scale Battlefield over 8x8km continents with 3 factions of 666 players fighting over territory on a persistant battlefield. The 3 continents are not linked by anything so you cannot take over them. It's been a major complaint of the game that it's a bit shallow given the size and scale. The size and scale also mean the game has some balance and population issues while new players have a very hard time finding a fight. They've made it 100x better than when it was launched but it's still far from ideal. It's a pickup-and-play game like CoD.

Yea I was wrong, I just watched the video review on IGN and it actually sounds great. I'll check it out on PS4.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

It's a visually stunning game and is terribly underrated in that department due to the shoddy textures. But the lighting at play in the game is some of the best I've seen. Night time battles in Planetside 2 are stunning

Avatar image for Infinite_Access
Infinite_Access

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 Infinite_Access
Member since 2007 • 2483 Posts

It's a visually stunning game and is terribly underrated in that department due to the shoddy textures. But the lighting at play in the game is some of the best I've seen. Night time battles in Planetside 2 are stunning

seanmcloughlin
Does the game have a day/night cycle?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-59b71619573a1

That's strong art direction and coloring, more than tech-graphics.Sushiglutton

Wrong. It has incredible lighting at play where everything has a light source and casts shadows, it has fog shadows, impressive particle effects, a good LOD system and huge scale.

It also runs a damn sight better than it used to

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

Infinite_Access

Does the game have a day/night cycle?

Of course. It changes gradually as you play. It's a never ending battle so it goes from night to day to night all the time.

It also changes how you play the game too instead of just looking nice because at night the vanu are incredibly hard to see and muzzle flashes are REALLY important to see where shots are coming from. 

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Grey_Eyed_Elf

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]That's strong art direction and coloring, more than tech-graphics.seanmcloughlin

Wrong. It has incredible lighting at play where everything has a light source and casts shadows, it has fog shadows, impressive particle effects, a good LOD system and huge scale.

+1 on the lighting. Also performance on the Beta I was struggling to get a decent 60FPS at 1920x1080 with a GTX 680 but now I am running the game at 2560x1080 on a single GTX 680 and getting a solid 60FPS with it NEVER dropping below 40FPS no matter what.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]That's strong art direction and coloring, more than tech-graphics.Grey_Eyed_Elf

+1 on the lighting. Also performance on the Beta I was struggling to get a decent 60FPS at 1920x1080 with a GTX 680 but now I am running the game at 2560x1080 on a single GTX 680 and getting a solid 60FPS with it NEVER dropping below 40FPS no matter what.

Even when it launched I was getting 20 fps at times in huge battles at 1080p on my 670 and 3570k. But when I play these days I can play the exact same settings maxed out at 1080p and never drop below 40 either. 

It's come a long way from what it was. 

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
Game looks aight. I heard it was poorly optimize. How well would it play with my gtx 570?
Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Grey_Eyed_Elf

Game looks aight. I heard it was poorly optimize. How well would it play with my gtx 570?wolverine4262
Pretty well...

And thats the BETA performance.

Its free to play so just download it your self on steam and give it a go.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 wolverine4262
Not bad thanks. I think I actually already have it installed. My big problem is that my set up right now doesnt work so well with kb/m. Ive been playing my games in my living room with my 360 pad.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 parkurtommo

[QUOTE="wolverine4262"]Game looks aight. I heard it was poorly optimize. How well would it play with my gtx 570?Grey_Eyed_Elf

Pretty well...

But does he have a cpu @4.8 ghz?? Silly chart.
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 wolverine4262
yea, my fx 8120 isnt an i7 at 4.8 ghz. lol
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

I played a few hours of PS2 on launch week and it wasn't fun at all.

Nothing about the graphics amazed me either.

IMO PS > PS2.

Was really hoping for a remake. But got a typical modern day POS shooter. Everything feels generic in that game.

Mrmedia01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Mrmedia01
Member since 2007 • 1917 Posts

Hope the PS4 version does not lag. Be nice to play this at 60fps at 1o80P or 720P.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
No, I don't think so. But the games has thousands of players at any time so they had to cut back some things.
Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Grey_Eyed_Elf
[QUOTE="Grey_Eyed_Elf"]

[QUOTE="wolverine4262"]Game looks aight. I heard it was poorly optimize. How well would it play with my gtx 570?parkurtommo

Pretty well...

It was the only benchmark I could find... :(. Besides its F2P so download and see and according to youtube GTX 570 with a average CPU = 40-50FPS.
gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="Grey_Eyed_Elf"] Pretty well...

Grey_Eyed_Elf

It was the only benchmark I could find... :(. Besides its F2P so download and see and according to youtube GTX 570 with a average CPU = 40-50FPS.

I don't know how my CPU ( Phenom II X6 1055T @ 2.8GHz) compares to that but I couldn't really run the game with my GTX570 :(Â