Phil Spencer talks DriveClub, Killzone: Shadow Fall and Sony

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Sweenix (5395 posts) -

http://www.examiner.com/article/phil-spencer-talks-driveclub-killzone-shadow-fall-and-sony

Phil Spencer thinks that “Killzone: Shadow Fall” is going to be a “great game,” calling Guerrilla Games a “good studio” in the process. He believed that Sony is hanging the launch of the PS4 on that particular video game, adding that it was “very smart” for them to target the first-person shooting genre.

The corporate vice president also thought that the delay for “DriveClub” will end up being a good thing for Sony. He mentioned that they shouldn't force it out at the PS4 launch as the company will need the driving title to be “fantastic.” You can find screenshots from “DriveClub” and “Killzone: Shadow Fall” in the slideshow near the top of this article.

Finally, Phil Spencer called the first-party core at Sony Computer Entertainment an “incredible organization” with many “great franchises.” He was especially impressed with the leadership and management of the company.

Pretty humble statement, a lot of respect to him.

#2 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9286 posts) -

Who cares....

#3 Posted by Netherscourge (16327 posts) -

@Sweenix said:

http://www.examiner.com/article/phil-spencer-talks-driveclub-killzone-shadow-fall-and-sony

Phil Spencer thinks that “Killzone: Shadow Fall” is going to be a “great game,” calling Guerrilla Games a “good studio” in the process. He believed that Sony is hanging the launch of the PS4 on that particular video game, adding that it was “very smart” for them to target the first-person shooting genre.

The corporate vice president also thought that the delay for “DriveClub” will end up being a good thing for Sony. He mentioned that they shouldn't force it out at the PS4 launch as the company will need the driving title to be “fantastic.” You can find screenshots from “DriveClub” and “Killzone: Shadow Fall” in the slideshow near the top of this article.

Finally, Phil Spencer called the first-party core at Sony Computer Entertainment an “incredible organization” with many “great franchises.” He was especially impressed with the leadership and management of the company.

Cool. Nice to see that not everyone is a blind fanboy.

#4 Posted by Sweenix (5395 posts) -

@Sweenix said:

Cool. Nice to see that not everyone is a blind fanboy.

Phil seems to be one of those few people at microsoft who still cares about video games.

So, i wouldn't expect him to make a fanboyish comment.

#5 Posted by ManInFlames-77 (291 posts) -

Phil should be the head of the Xbox Division

#6 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

Good to see competitors being respectful.

#7 Edited by Heil68 (42663 posts) -

Nice of Phil to give props to Sony's world class gaming.

#8 Posted by KarateeeChop (4590 posts) -

having played both i can honestly say that i was unimpressed by the last-gen textures and 20fps.

#9 Posted by sailor232 (4261 posts) -

It will be important to keep reminding myself that I am playing a console and not a gaming pc, otherwise I'll continue to be dissapointed. Good on Phil Spencer though, good to hear someone being nice to the opposition.

#10 Posted by Shewgenja (7940 posts) -

Someone wants a job at Sony it looks like!

#11 Posted by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

Someone wants a job at Sony it looks like!

#12 Posted by Gaming-Planet (13706 posts) -

Why did Phil leave Sony again?

#13 Posted by RogueStatus28 (501 posts) -

@Gaming-Planet:

That was Phil Harrison unless Phil Spencer also worked for Sony.

#14 Edited by ankor77 (932 posts) -

I listened to the entire 1 hour interview. It was on IGNs xbox podcast. It was really interesting. He was asked about PS4, so he said some nice things. First thing you learn in sales is to not bash the competition, so I think he answered the right way.

Anyways the interview had some interesting parts about game design, crafting a launch lineup, etc. good listen

#15 Posted by shawn30 (4291 posts) -

Good interview

#16 Posted by remiks00 (1533 posts) -

Phil Spencer and J. Allard were always my favorite leaders in the Xbox division. I don't know why so many fanboys bashed him so much lately , he really comes across as a great guy.

#17 Posted by timbers_WSU (5753 posts) -

It was a really good interview.

#18 Posted by BranKetra (47495 posts) -

That there is friendly competition in the video game industry is good. It is not like before during the Nintendo vs Sega battles.

#20 Posted by _Matt_ (8780 posts) -

having played both i can honestly say that i was unimpressed by the last-gen textures and 20fps.

@KarateeeChop

Ah that's a shame, perhaps get the PS4 instead then? ;)

#21 Posted by edidili (3446 posts) -

Looks like something I would say sarcastically.

#22 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25422 posts) -

This guy seems like a good egg.

#23 Posted by Multipass35 (295 posts) -

@Sweenix: he doesn't need to make a "fanboish" statement because he and everyone else in this galexy knows the games for Xbox One are on a completely different level. The Xbox One game lineup Demolishes the entire ps4 exclusive lineup for the first year and beyond.

#24 Posted by Sweenix (5395 posts) -

@Sweenix: he doesn't need to make a "fanboish" statement because he and everyone else in this galexy knows the games for Xbox One are on a completely different level. The Xbox One game lineup Demolishes the entire ps4 exclusive lineup for the first year and beyond.

No it doesn't.

#25 Posted by Multipass35 (295 posts) -

@Sweenix said:

@multipass35 said:

No it doesn't.

Prove it....... IGN, Gamespot, Gametrailers, videogamers, euro gamers all agree the Xbox One line up smashes the ps4 library.

#26 Edited by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

Sony would never do something like this. Mad respect to Phil

#27 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

Liking the humility, Spencer.

#28 Posted by Quaker-w00ts (1575 posts) -

Good guy, I guess.

#29 Posted by StriateEnd (497 posts) -

LOL! Even MS recognises Sony's superior first party. Lems what say you?!

#30 Edited by Douevenlift_bro (4992 posts) -

Who is he?

#32 Posted by AM-Gamer (3324 posts) -
#33 Edited by blackace (19745 posts) -

@remiks00 said:

Phil Spencer and J. Allard were always my favorite leaders in the Xbox division. I don't know why so many fanboys bashed him so much lately , he really comes across as a great guy.

I was pissed when Ed Fries and J Allard left. Those were the two KEY guys to XBox success. Ed Fries was the one who got all those exclusive games for the original Xbox. Once he left, that's when Xbox exclusive lineup started to dwindle. The asian guy (I can't remember his name) who replaced him didn't do shit.

As for Phil Spencer's comments, he pretty much said the obvious. It's funny how cows respect him now that he made some positive comments about the PS4 and it's games. A couple months ago they were bashing him and saying he should be fired after Don Mattrick left.

Who is he?

Someone well above your intelligent level, so you don't need to know. lol!!

#34 Posted by Suppaman100 (3590 posts) -

LOL, even the competition thinks PS4 is good.

TLHBO

#35 Posted by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Nice of Phil to give props to Sony's world class gaming.

lol dude your Sony obsession is pretty funny.

#36 Posted by Bruin1986 (1176 posts) -

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

TLHBO

I honestly don't even know anymore if people like this are trolling, or just idiots.

The obsessive devotion to plastic boxes shown by posters on this forum is frightening.

#37 Posted by freedomfreak (38221 posts) -

Not everyone's a fanboy.

#38 Posted by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

TLHBO

I honestly don't even know anymore if people like this are trolling, or just idiots.

The obsessive devotion to plastic boxes shown by posters on this forum is frightening.

Suppaman comes across as mad/obsessive but he's only having fun on system wars. I know it seems like he takes this forum serious but he really doesn't. System wars is just fun after all

#39 Posted by Suppaman100 (3590 posts) -

@Bruin1986 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

TLHBO

Suppaman comes across as mad/obsessive but he's only having fun on system wars. I know it seems like he takes this forum serious but he really doesn't. System wars is just fun after all

Indeed my friend.

System wars is a great place for some entertainment.