PC Gamer reviews The Elder Scrolls Online: 68

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Stick to the glitchy single-player games, folks

Not really surprising. The game was nothing more than a contrived cash grab full of bad ideas that add nothing new to the genre.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Watched the Giantbomb stream, and it looked boring beyond belief.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

F2P in 3.....2.......1.......

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Yeah, it never could overcome the fact that the game is pretty much unnecessary.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

He didn't even get to end game content. Vr1-10 and ect... were missed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@daious said:

He didn't even get to end game content. Vr1-10 and ect... were missed.

Doesn't change how bad most of it is...

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

Dang.

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

Everything I've seen looked bland....

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

Like ive been saying for years, TES series lacks in a fundamental element. Fun.

They aren't fun to play. The combat is ancient, clunky, and unintuitive, everyone still looks lifeless, same half a dozen voices.

the series isn't going to be able to fall back on the "do anything, go anywhere" mumbo, because that doesn't lend credence when going anywhere or doing anything isn't fun.

So you can drop a block of cheese and come back a week later and the cheese is still there. Wow. Brilliant gameplay. Really enhances the experience.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Get fucked bethesdumb.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Not surprising. People have been saying it's bad for a while

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 clyde46

@xboxdone74 said:

Like ive been saying for years, TES series lacks in a fundamental element. Fun.

They aren't fun to play. The combat is ancient, clunky, and unintuitive, everyone still looks lifeless, same half a dozen voices.

the series isn't going to be able to fall back on the "do anything, go anywhere" mumbo, because that doesn't lend credence when going anywhere or doing anything isn't fun.

So you can drop a block of cheese and come back a week later and the cheese is still there. Wow. Brilliant gameplay. Really enhances the experience.

The size of a ocean, the depth of a puddle.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

The sad thing is, even if they don't fix the combat, the ai, the terrible story, the pacing. They will still have a large fan base because there's people out there that eat this make your own adventure crap/ open world crap up.

All they have to do is increase the land mass size, keep the same stale game play and they're still going to get sales.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 XboxDone74

@clyde46: the denial of an OJ Simpson.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 clyde46

@xboxdone74 said:

Not sure I follow.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 XboxDone74

@clyde46: as to be expected.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Should be the score for every Bethesda game.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lostrib

@xboxdone74 said:

A) your comment doesn't make sense B)Clyde isn't American so he might not know as much about OJ simpson

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 XboxDone74

@lostrib: not my problem.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lostrib

@xboxdone74 said:

@lostrib: not my problem.

it's not your problem that you don't make sense?

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

Sad to hear, as I am a huge Elder Scrolls fan. No buy for me after reading that. He addresses every concern I had.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#22 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Shame, it looked amazing.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

@xboxdone74 said:

I think he was agreeing with you dummy.

The size of an ocean = Large game

Depth of a puddle = Shitty gameplay

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@xboxdone74 said:

He was agreeing with you, idiot

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

Was never going to get it anyways.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#26  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Subscription model = no buy

One time payment = day one

I would love to get this game, but that business model is not for me. I wonder how long will Bethesda take to realise they would make alot more money if this game were sold like the single player Elder Scrolls games...

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

Well that's unfortunate but can't say I didn't see it coming. Just seemed like a very bland MMO. It doesn't have the flash of GW2, the substance of WOW, or the appealing pay model of TOR and LOTRO. Doesn't even sound good by the series' standards, and of course it's an MMO so you can't mod it better. Damn shame really.

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

lol this game had flop written all over it.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Back when I was 26 or so... I was going to give it a 7... But the higher I get now (almost 40) and high crafting. I would rate it more like 6 or 6.5. It's just the same old crap in each zone... Nothing feels alive or that it should be there.

I mean where do these people grow food? Or what about grave yards? Sure they have tiny ones hidden away and some luxury crypts. But come on...

Only the main story is of any quality and the 1 main dungeon for each zone.

I don't see myself playing more then 2 months then calling it. I mean a lot of the time, the server is down for extended maintenance... Because the servers lag, quests break and spawns stop... They should have kept it in beta for another year. God knows it could have used it... Especially the graphics engine... Looks like crap and runs like crap. Seriously V-sync doesn't even work right.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

When ESO was announced, everyone and their grandmas were excited about the game,but as time went on, the excitement slowly died off. And when the final game was close to launch, the hype started to build up again but it didn't hit the same mark compare to when it was first announced. Now that is finally released, it mostly received mixed reviews with the response being mostly negative.

Such a shame.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

It was very obvious after watching some gameplay not only that they are charging like what 14 dollars a month for this. It looks like Bethesda isn't going get there WoW.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@PAL360 said:

Subscription model = no buy

One time payment = day one

I would love to get this game, but that business model is not for me. I wonder how long will Bethesda take to realise they would make alot more money if this game were sold like the single player Elder Scrolls games...

I would consider giving a game a try under either of those models. It is the combination of the 2 that has always turned me away from the MMO genre.

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 princeofshapeir

@behardy24 said:

When ESO was announced, everyone and their grandmas were excited about the game,but as time went on, the excitement slowly died off. And when the final game was close to launch, the hype started to build up again but it didn't hit the same mark compare to when it was first announced. Now that is finally released, it mostly received mixed reviews with the response being mostly negative.

Such a shame.

Response to ESO was negative from the get-go unless you were some delirious Bethesda fanboy. Nobody really asked for an Elder Scrolls MMO.

stationplay_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 stationplay_4
Member since 2014 • 444 Posts

bethesda just needs to make fallout 4 already.

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 princeofshapeir

Also, Bethesda didn't develop this game--Zenimax did, Bethesda merely published it. Bethesda can't even develop a single-player game properly; you think they could develop a functional MMO?

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

This is what happens when a game is consolized.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

Although I expected the game would turn out shit, you should read the comments from the people who actually, you know, played the game (I didn't tho):

I disagree with so much of this article. To list just a few points, I find the archery quite effective, the voice acting excellent, the quests (even the formulaic ones) interesting and relevant to the plot. Then there are all the things I like that aren't even mentioned in this review.

As a long time fan of both TES and MMOs I don't find it disappointing at all. There are definitely a few things I don't like, such as not being able to blend classes, the poorly implemented guild store system and the too-limited number of hotkeys. But over all, I'm very happy with the game. It's not as freeform or sandbox as single player TES, but given the constraints of the MMO format I don't really have any deal-breaking complaints. There is still plenty of exploration and discovery to be done and your character is still very customizable.

My expectations were pretty low going in, but I have been pleasantly surprised at every turn. I have no problem forking over a sub for this game at all.

I've been reading PC GAMER for over 15 years, and this is the most inaccurate, terrible review I have ever read from them. Very disappointing. I always defend PC GAMER for having fair, objective, non-biased reviews. Until now.

Never have I disagreed more with a PC Gamer review.

Etc.

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By princeofshapeir

^ Paid shills/people who paid $999 for the super ultra digital deluxe edition with a clay bust of Todd Howard and can't accept that the game is objectively bad :^)

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 IgGy621985

@princeofshapeir: So you bought/played the game then?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

They'd probably have made more money on this by making it an actual singleplayer game and releasing it on next-gen consoles.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Vaasman

@IgGy621985 said:

Although I expected the game would turn out shit, you should read the comments from the people who actually, you know, played the game (I didn't tho):

I disagree with so much of this article. To list just a few points, I find the archery quite effective, the voice acting excellent, the quests (even the formulaic ones) interesting and relevant to the plot. Then there are all the things I like that aren't even mentioned in this review.

As a long time fan of both TES and MMOs I don't find it disappointing at all. There are definitely a few things I don't like, such as not being able to blend classes, the poorly implemented guild store system and the too-limited number of hotkeys. But over all, I'm very happy with the game. It's not as freeform or sandbox as single player TES, but given the constraints of the MMO format I don't really have any deal-breaking complaints. There is still plenty of exploration and discovery to be done and your character is still very customizable.

My expectations were pretty low going in, but I have been pleasantly surprised at every turn. I have no problem forking over a sub for this game at all.

I've been reading PC GAMER for over 15 years, and this is the most inaccurate, terrible review I have ever read from them. Very disappointing. I always defend PC GAMER for having fair, objective, non-biased reviews. Until now.

Etc.

The comment section of reviews are the LAST place you should be going for any kind of fair counter-assessment, not the first. You might as well post arguments from 4chan for all they're worth.

"people who actually, you know, played the game," what a load.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 IgGy621985

@Vaasman said:

@IgGy621985 said:

Etc.

The comment section of reviews are the LAST place you should be going for any kind of fair counter-assessment, not the first. You might as well post arguments from 4chan for all they're worth.

I somewhat agree with you, but reviewers aren't exactly immune to writing lousy articles either.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@IgGy621985 said:

@Vaasman said:

@IgGy621985 said:

Etc.

I somewhat agree with you, but reviewers aren't exactly immune to writing lousy articles either.

Far more qualified then random posters on the internet.

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 princeofshapeir

I really don't see anything in that review that leads me to believe the author had little experience with the game. Sure, he didn't touch on endgame much, but for a new MMO it's expected you design a starting experience that makes you want to reach endgame. After all, this is a new game you're expected to pay $60 and a $15 monthly fee for.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:

^ Paid shills/people who paid $999 for the super ultra digital deluxe edition with a clay bust of Todd Howard and can't accept that the game is objectively bad :^)

There's no such thing as objectively bad.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

Well, glad we at least don't have to hear those whining people crying for an Elder Scrolls MMO anymore. Personally, I'd of rather they attempted a TES co-op adventure instead, but Bethesda was probably too tempted by that $15/month subscription fee or whatever.

Seems as if nothing can compete against the almighty WOW, all those failed attempts to establish a foothold in the market should resort to banding together, create a unified subscriptions to a whole host of MMOs so their lack of satisfaction is made up by the value to access larger selection of titles.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@IgGy621985: Yeah, it's been a polarizing game, no doubt. KVO touched on how differently other reviewers experiences were in his latest article leading up to his review, and even admitted he can't make up how he feels about the game from one moment to the next.

As for the PC gamer review... um, so what? They didn't like the game much, others liked it more. PC gamer has no special cred in this forum or about this game so why would I give a hoot about their score over the multitude of other reviews out? Why would I listen to any of the reviews out now, when more respected reviewers don't feel they have played enough yet to even publish a review at all?

Thread stinks of a TC with a bug up his butt about ES in general.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#48 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Can't be any worse than Skyrim. That game was a snorefest.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Vaasman

@IgGy621985 said:

@Vaasman said:

@IgGy621985 said:

Etc.

You would trust an anonymous poster over someone who is trained and paid to offer impartial and detailed criticism for a living. Ok then.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 IgGy621985

@Vaasman said:

You would trust an anonymous poster over someone who is trained and paid to offer detailed criticism for a living. Ok then.

I don't trust it, but I'd take it into consideration. Imho, every game review out there should be taken with a pinch of salt.