Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

http://www.gamesradar.com/original-sonynintendo-playstation-prototype/

Because it was never actually released the Sony/Nintendo PlayStation is quite rare. So this one is quite a big deal. It apparently turned up in some junk belonging to imgur user DanDiebold's dad. Here's the real kicker though, this is the story he posts behind the images:

"My dad worked for a company, apparently one of the guys he used to work with, I think his name was Olaf, used to work at Nintendo and when my dad's company went bankrupt, my dad found it in a box of 'junk' he was supposed to throw out".

Looks like a Nintendo console worth owning...thoughts? :D

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

It was an add on to the snes not a new console so there would be no reason for the controller to say Playstation. Fake.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

It was an add on to the snes not a new console so there would be no reason for the controller to say Playstation. Fake.

image link looks pretty convincing to me.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

In hindsight, I'm glad this didn't happen. The end result of what happened CES 1991 may have been a major assbite for Nintendo, but really, I fail to see how Sony was the good guy in that situation as they were both evil then. Under the radar manufacturing rights of their IP's is a little more than freaking 50/50. So in reality, Nintendo would have been assbit regardless.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

evil

lol

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nintendoboy16

@ConanTheStoner said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

evil

lol

You know what I... oh wait...

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

"Nintendo first courted Sony to develop a CD-based console in 1988, after both Sony and Philips had pitched their ideas to Nintendo."

"Nintendo decided to work with Sony, and development resulted first in the SNES-CD, a CD drive attachment for the SNES, and later the Play Station, a console that took both SNES cartridges and CD-ROMs. The Play Station was shown at the 1991 Consumer Electronics Show."

"All was looking just fine for Nintendo until it found that the deal they had struck with Sony way back in 1988 granted Sony the right to control and license all the CD-based games for the "Super Disc". Nintendo was now to be at the mercy of Sony and its "Super Disc", which could play SNES carts and Sony-manufactured CDs. Nintendo, understandably, began to get worried."

"However, Sony's contract with Nintendo gave them the full rights to every game published for the device, so Nintendo then went with Philips. The deal was announced one day after the Play Station announcement."

"When it became clear that CD-ROMs weren't a fluke and could turn into a major business, Nintendo Co. Ltd. president Hiroshi Yamauchi realized that the proposed alliance with Sony meant giving up the very foundation of Nintendo's business - absolute control over license and manufacturing."

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#9 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Glad that didn't happen. I like my PS consoles.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

count me too as another who is glad....

id be hyping playstation today lol....

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

I'm so thankful that this never happened. It would have been a disaster for Nintendo. If only Nintendo had the sense to never talk to Sony in the first place. PlayStation wouldn't have even existed and we'd all be happy.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Sony were scum back in the day and still are now. If Nintendo and MS don't get it together Sony will get what they want--- a semi monopoly on the console market.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@Ghost120x: Have no fear mate, Nintendo done kicked Sony out of Japan, and Samsung is kicking them out of everything else. Samsung also helped Nintendo with the Wii, and now they want into the gaming business. Samsung is coming, and they want Sonys head.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts
@mesome713 said:

@Ghost120x: Have no fear mate, Nintendo done kicked Sony out of Japan, and Samsung is kicking them out of everything else. Samsung also helped Nintendo with the Wii, and now they want into the gaming business. Samsung is coming, and they want Sonys head.

Do you know that PS3 titles are playable on Samsung smart TV's in America and Canada? PlayStation 3 now officially has no exclusive content ;)

Source - one of many

On topic: If that's real (it certainly looks real to me) it could be worth a pretty penny to the right collector.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@Ghost120x said:

Sony were scum back in the day and still are now. If Nintendo and MS don't get it together Sony will get what they want--- a semi monopoly on the console market.

HAHAAHHAHAH Sony scum?

THen what's MS? LMFAO

And look what's left off Nintendo LMFAO, Sony killed Nintendo.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-58ce94803a170

@GarGx1: Dang, thats crazy if true.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Was reading that earlier, pretty cool. What's Interesting is that if you attempt to do research on the internet about the details of the fallout between Sony and Nintendo, you will find slightly different versions of what happened. It's one of the more interesting tales of the videogame industry for sure. How would things be today if they hadn't disagreed.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts
@mesome713 said:

@GarGx1: Dang, thats crazy if true.

If it wasn't I'd have had a dozen replies by now questioning my intelligence and anger levels.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nintendoboy16

@Suppaman100 said:
@Ghost120x said:

HAHAAHHAHAH Sony scum?

Well yeah! Sony nearly fucked Nintendo over, which is why Yamauchi and Lincoln did what they did.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@Suppaman100 said:
@Ghost120x said:

HAHAAHHAHAH Sony scum?

THen what's MS? LMFAO

3DS killed Vita, rip Vita. 3DS destroyed everyone!

Nintendo cant be stopped. Nintendo is worth more than Sony and all Nintendo does is making gaming stuff ;)

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Suppaman100

@nintendoboy16 said:
@Suppaman100 said:
@Ghost120x said:

HAHAAHHAHAH Sony scum?

Well yeah! Sony nearly fucked Nintendo over, which is why Yamauchi and Lincoln did what they did.

I thought the general consensus was Nintendo who fcked over Sony... Guess those countless gaming docus were wrong then...

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Suppaman100

@mesome713 said:
@Suppaman100 said:
@Ghost120x said:

HAHAAHHAHAH Sony scum?

THen what's MS? LMFAO

Nintendo cant be stopped. Nintendo is worth more than Sony and all Nintendo does is making gaming stuff ;)

AHHAHAHAHH!

NIntendo worth more than Sony?

And 3DS killed nothing, Vita was dead the minute it came out. 3DS is also nothing to brag about, outside of Japan it's doing poorly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-58ce94803a170

@Suppaman100 said:
@mesome713 said:
@Suppaman100 said:
@Ghost120x said:

HAHAAHHAHAH Sony scum?

THen what's MS? LMFAO

AHHAHAHAHH!

And 3DS killed nothing, Vita was dead the minute it came out. 3DS is also nothing to brag about, outside of Japan it's doing poorly.

I got yo back homie.

"Metro reports that Sony is worth $17.7 billion, thanks mostly to their failing movie, music and laptop division. Sony does have the PS4 to thank for a lot of their success lately as it's been trailblazing through the market like a Skyline running on jet fuel."

Nintendo, alternatively, is worth $18.4 billion, thanks to their timeless games and uniquely designed hardware. Yes, Nintendo is worth $700 million more than Sony.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nintendoboy16

@Suppaman100 said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@Suppaman100 said:
@Ghost120x said:

HAHAAHHAHAH Sony scum?

I thought the general consensus was Nintendo who fcked over Sony... Guess those countless gaming docus were wrong then...

Yes, but that doesn't in anyway mean Sony wasn't wrong in that era, because oh boy they were.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56103 Posts

It could've been interesting. We will never truly know what the results could have been. We can only speculate with the reality we did go through. Though, I have to wonder despite said reality.

@nintendoboy16 said:
@Suppaman100 said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@Suppaman100 said:
@Ghost120x said:

HAHAAHHAHAH Sony scum?

Yes, but that doesn't in anyway mean Sony wasn't wrong in that era, because oh boy they were.

knowing Sony, Nintendo probably found the cost too high. Really makes me wonder what things would have been like if it worked out and they kept working together. Sony entering the gaming market was a huge hit for Nintendo and probably also helped encourage MS to jump in too. SEGA still would have been dead tho. Nintendo has always hold a grudge against Sony, cause they created there own worst enemies. But really today though, it's just Sony vs MS, Nintendo tries not to be caught up in the this petty console war.

Guy_Brohski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 Guy_Brohski
Member since 2013 • 2221 Posts

@Pray_to_me: Its actually very likely legit. There were multiple iterations of the console. One was simply an add-on to the SNES, and (pictured) is a stand alone console that was supposed to play SNES carts and PlayStation CD's. Apparently. Sony's terms of the deal was going to grant them rights to all of Nintendo's IP's! I don't blame Nintendo for snubbing them after that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@davillain-: Nintendo fights there own war, the war to innovate and lead the gaming industry. Sony and them just copy people and try to make a quick buck.

dgkenji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dgkenji
Member since 2006 • 105 Posts

@mesome713 said:
@Suppaman100 said:
@mesome713 said:
@Suppaman100 said:
@Ghost120x said:

HAHAAHHAHAH Sony scum?

THen what's MS? LMFAO

AHHAHAHAHH!

I got yo back homie.

"Metro reports that Sony is worth $17.7 billion, thanks mostly to their failing movie, music and laptop division. Sony does have the PS4 to thank for a lot of their success lately as it's been trailblazing through the market like a Skyline running on jet fuel."

Nintendo, alternatively, is worth $18.4 billion, thanks to their timeless games and uniquely designed hardware. Yes, Nintendo is worth $700 million more than Sony.

I usually don't care about sales or companies worth, as I don't see it relevant to system wars. However, your numbers are way off.

I'll refer you to the Enterprise value (EV) second line which is used as the "company worth" in both links.

Nintendo's Finances EV of 13.5B

Sony's Finances EV of 28.39B

This numbers are from today (July 3rd) and Yahoo finance is always pretty accurate. I don't know where you got your numbers but I wouldn't trust that source again.

Maybe the 17.7B is only from Sony's gaming division?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56103 Posts

@mesome713: Well in the end, I guess it all turn out well for starters, if it wasn't for Nintendo's betrayal, we would never own as the PlayStation system we know today would never existed.

@Guy_Brohski said:

@Pray_to_me: Its actually very likely legit. There were multiple iterations of the console. One was simply an add-on to the SNES, and (pictured) is a stand alone console that was supposed to play SNES carts and PlayStation CD's. Apparently. Sony's terms of the deal was going to grant them rights to all of Nintendo's IP's! I don't blame Nintendo for snubbing them after that.

I think the core of it was paranoia about piracy and unlicensed games. There were some obvious financial incentives. Getting a game on a Nintendo console required paying Nintendo twice - first for the license, second for manufacturing the cartridge, plus royalties, etc. In many respects it was an even more severe plantation than second-party development is today. To be fair the industry brought such a condition on itself and made such a drastic measure a necessary corrective.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@dgkenji: Im going from Google mate, Yahoo sucks.

here are some articles.

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/nintendo-worth-more-money-than-all-of-sony.453680391/

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Nintendo-Now-Worth-More-Than-Sony-61509.html

http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/08/nintendo-valued-as-bigger-company-than-sony-4254425/

http://n4g.com/news/1431397/nintendo-now-valued-as-bigger-company-than-sony

http://www.forbes.com/companies/nintendo/

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

This probably explains what went wrong with the Nintendo-Sony partnership. Sony wasn't just making the CD-ROM attachment, they were trying to reinvent the console itself, seemingly taking over the entire design and most importantly the name branding on the item. Maybe Nintendo went behind Sony's back with Philips because after seeing this they're like "they're trying to take over our business!".

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@lamprey263: Actually it was because Sony tried to take all rights for absolute control over license and manufacturing. Sony thought they could take advantage of little Nintendo but it didnt happen. Nintendo was way too clever. Sony is still butthurt over it. They refuse to let Nintendo have blu-ray. But thats ok, let Sony be the gimmick machine, Nintendo will be the innovative machine.

dgkenji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dgkenji
Member since 2006 • 105 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@dgkenji: Im going from Google mate, Yahoo sucks.

here are some articles.

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/nintendo-worth-more-money-than-all-of-sony.453680391/

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Nintendo-Now-Worth-More-Than-Sony-61509.html

http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/08/nintendo-valued-as-bigger-company-than-sony-4254425/

http://n4g.com/news/1431397/nintendo-now-valued-as-bigger-company-than-sony

http://www.forbes.com/companies/nintendo/

Whats with the lack of love for yahoo! :P

I see the problem is that those are articles from january, the numbers I showed you are from today. Even if you check the links they provide in the ign forum you'll see that the tables have turned.

And forbes only show market cap which is not the worth of the company as it only takes equity into account. Even then sony comes on top Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@dgkenji: They just going by net worth mate. I dont pay attention to the stock numbers, i just read the articles.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

What the ****.

Why would he have a knife block with no kitchen knives in it?

Crazy

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#38 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

What could have been.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Excellent find Heil68. This is a piece of history that many collectors would pay top dollar for.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@FoxbatAlpha: I cant wait for Sony fans to start bidding on it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#41 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

In hindsight, it's far better it turned out this way, but I do wonder what a Sony Nintendo PlayStation would have looked like.

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

I saw this on Facebook this morning. It's an interesting read to say the least.

BIOKILLER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BIOKILLER123
Member since 2010 • 1070 Posts

I was reading this article 10mins ago. Pretty interesting.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@charizard1605 said:

In hindsight, it's far better it turned out this way, but I do wonder what a Sony Nintendo PlayStation would have looked like.

It would have been a one off even if it had been released. Like the Sega CD was. By the time N64 came around in this alternate universe, the PlayStation probably wouldn't exist in gen 5, and instead would have been known as that SNES add-on. That would have been weird to see just Sega Saturn and N64 go at it. On one side we have a CD/ROM based console that is god awful to program for, and the other we have a console restricted by cartriges. No standard that developers all flocked to like the PS1 was.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

That thing is probably worth so much money...

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@lamprey263: Actually it was because Sony tried to take all rights for absolute control over license and manufacturing. Sony thought they could take advantage of little Nintendo but it didnt happen. Nintendo was way too clever. Sony is still butthurt over it. They refuse to let Nintendo have blu-ray. But thats ok, let Sony be the gimmick machine, Nintendo will be the innovative machine.

Where did you hear that Sony refuses to let Nintendo have blu-ray?

Nintendo doesn't have blu-ray because if they did they would have to pay a license fee to the creators of blu-ray technology (Sony) just like everyone else does and we all know how cheapy deepy Nintendo is when it comes to features and hardware for their consoles.

They're probably just salty they didn't come up with blu-ray first, the standard medium for physical media right now, and instead of just coughing up the licensing fee for the real thing, they instead created their own knock-off/COPY of Sony's blue ray medium that they use for their Wii-U disc based games. Downside to that knock-off? No Blu-ray movies for Nintendo consoles again (damn copy cats) just like how they didn't have dvd support now and in the past, to cheap/proud to pay Sony the licensing fee as the rightful creators.

And I doubt Sony is butthurt the Nintendo/Playstation deal fell through. That deal falling through meant Sony was left with their OWN console that went on to CRUSH the N64 right out of the gate and the Playstation 4 all these years later is still crushing Nintendo's home console. Nintendo are the butthurt one's after that deal fell through because it created their most deadly competitor yet who has crushed them 3 out of the 4 gen's they've competed against each other so far.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@bobrossperm said:
@charizard1605 said:

It would have been a one off even if it had been released. Like the Sega CD was. By the time N64 came around in this alternate universe, the PlayStation probably wouldn't exist in gen 5, and instead would have been known as that SNES add-on. That would have been weird to see just Sega Saturn and N64 go at it. On one side we have a CD/ROM based console that is god awful to program for, and the other we have a console restricted by cartriges. No standard that developers all flocked to like the PS1 was.

Atari Jaguar, and 3DO were there. One of them could have taken off without PlayStation. I'm betting 3DO. I'm thinking that Sega, Nintendo, and Panasonic/Samsung would be todays console makers.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

@kenakuma said:
@mesome713 said:

Nintendo doesn't have blu-ray because if they did they would have to pay a license fee

that's basically it by itself

Sony doesn't own Blu-ray as much as they have a stake in it, see Wikipedia article on Blu-ray Disc Founders

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@bunchanumbers said:
@bobrossperm said:
@charizard1605 said:

Atari Jaguar, and 3DO were there. One of them could have taken off without PlayStation. I'm betting 3DO. I'm thinking that Sega, Nintendo, and Panasonic/Samsung would be todays console makers.

Only there are issues with that statement. For one the 3DO was way underspecced to compete with what Nintendo and Sega had planned with the N64 and Saturn. The PS1 actually had a capable 3D accelerator, and on top of that, Sony provided a perfect development platform for developers with a slick programming interface. The 3DO was a disaster in those areas and was like half the raw speed of the PS1. No way could that have been the standard console for what was to be the first 3D generation.

The PS1 was such a success because Sony were pretty much the biggest company on earth back then and whatever they did made waves. The hype for the PS1 from like the rumor stages to it's release and onwards was insane. They were there at the right time and they provided a product that the gaming industry needed. No way in hell the 3DO or Atari Jaguar(lol) could fill those boots. Other manufacturers may have made a console but none would have made the same impact the PS1 did.