Official Spore Discussion Thread - KEEP IT HERE

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#201 Tsug_Ze_Wind
Member since 2006 • 9511 Posts

[QUOTE="fenwickhotmail"]2008 the year of the flops?jg4xchamp

Haze
Too Human

Ninja Gaiden 2(suppose to be AAA)- Flop
SPore(Suppose to be AAA)- Flop

and then there were the less important but still flops

Lost Odyssey
Infinite Undiscovery

Flop city this year

My money on Animal Crossing City Folk or Warioland Shake It.

No more than any other year. :? This and NG2 were the only ones that were actually hyped.

This year has been pretty mild.

fenwickhotmail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#202 fenwickhotmail
Member since 2004 • 7308 Posts

[QUOTE="fenwickhotmail"]2008 the year of the flops?jg4xchamp

Haze
Too Human

Ninja Gaiden 2(suppose to be AAA)- Flop
SPore(Suppose to be AAA)- Flop

and then there were the less important but still flops

Lost Odyssey
Infinite Undiscovery

Flop city this year

My money on Animal Crossing City Folk or Warioland Shake It.

Yeah, although Lost Odyssey i believe shouldn't have flopped and many agree.

Even GTAIV fell way bellow my expectations and MGS4 I have played a little and it didn't exactly blow me away.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#203 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
2008 the year of the flops?fenwickhotmail
No. 2008 = the year MGS4 owns all. lol I find it funny that some are saying that 8.0 is good, yes it is a good score but for a game that was hyped AAAA 8.0 means it failed to deliver BIG time. 8.0 is good but for a game like Spore 8.0 means its not the evolution of gaming peope hoped it would be and is just another good game
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Well..honestly refining genres is innovation in it's core, what I've experienced in games like Gears of War is unique to the genre and the gameply mechanics were well implemented in their games.

Less creative doesn't mean less compelling game, it may sound cliche but it is the truth.

HAZE-Unit

True, but Gears in my opinion isnt much of a compelling game.

Its uniqueness.... well the mechanics had been there.... Gears just refined it, and well.... went with the usual linear shooter modle. Sure it had its moments.... but the score it got, just doesent fit with its quality... imo.

But yea you have a point

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
While I'll reserve final judgement for when I get my hands on Spore, it certainly seems like GS missed the point (yet again). Sure the game has some simple design elements and the early stages are simple, but that's the whole idea behind the game -- allow you to grow and evolve your species quickly and easily so that you gain an attachment to them. No one want's to play a 3-hour version of Cell Game with complex combat on the order of Baldur's Gate 2, or spend an hour creating a complex, Comany of Heroes-esque strategy in Civilization Game. Saying Spore is too simple is like saying The Sims is a failure because you don't have to deal with your alcoholic uncle or pedophile neighbour.
sam280992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#206 sam280992
Member since 2007 • 3754 Posts

Flop flop flop, Where is your GoTY now???

Just joking :)

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#207 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts

[QUOTE="LarkAnderson"]Link.sneakShaker

thanks stupid firefox dose not copy/paste

You can use copy/paste by pressing ctrl + c and ctrl + v to copy and paste on firefox

On Topic : Man thats dissapointing

I thought it would get AAA

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#208 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
Ouch flop. I expecteda much higher review.
anshul89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 anshul89
Member since 2006 • 5705 Posts
tbh i was much more disappointed when opposing fronts didnt get AAA.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 skrat_01

Next flop STALKER Clear Sky?

I have been playing it for a couple of hours and well.....

I'd so-far give it an high A to AA score, though im only at the beginning - just left the swamps.

It lacks the ooomph the first had so far... but it is damn good.... Its hard too say.

I can easily see it scoring a 7.5 or 8.

Jeimseu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 Jeimseu
Member since 2007 • 247 Posts

The shear size and effort put into this game, makes it deserve better...

Only Minor flaws yet a 8.0 score? Don't care really, getting it anyway :)

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
Looks like MGS4 has GOTY in the bag.... for now...
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 skrat_01

While I'll reserve final judgement for when I get my hands on Spore, it certainly seems like GS missed the point (yet again). Sure the game has some simple design elements and the early stages are simple, but that's the whole idea behind the game -- allow you to grow and evolve your species quickly and easily so that you gain an attachment to them. No one want's to play a 3-hour version of Cell Game with complex combat on the order of Baldur's Gate 2, or spend an hour creating a complex, Comany of Heroes-esque strategy in Civilization Game. Saying Spore is too simple is like saying The Sims is a failure because you don't have to deal with your alcoholic uncle or pedophile neighbour.PBSnipes
The man has a point.

I'll tip my hat to that.

In all serious-ness though that is a good point however.
Quite a fews have docked it because its 'too casual orientated / designed for non gamers'. This gets on my nerves a little. If Spore was docked in such a way, why arent games like Oblivion? The Design has been impacted to cater to a specific audience, yet one is exempt and the other isnt. Ho Hum. I totally second your point about game design depth.

Though yeah im yet to properly play it, and its sold out here, so no chance finding a copy so far.

Silent_Bob32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 Silent_Bob32
Member since 2004 • 643 Posts

While I'll reserve final judgement for when I get my hands on Spore, it certainly seems like GS missed the point (yet again). Sure the game has some simple design elements and the early stages are simple, but that's the whole idea behind the game -- allow you to grow and evolve your species quickly and easily so that you gain an attachment to them. No one want's to play a 3-hour version of Cell Game with complex combat on the order of Baldur's Gate 2, or spend an hour creating a complex, Comany of Heroes-esque strategy in Civilization Game. Saying Spore is too simple is like saying The Sims is a failure because you don't have to deal with your alcoholic uncle or pedophile neighbour.PBSnipes

As much as I agree with you, by the same token I think it's irresponsible to ignore the simplicity of the gameplay as a potential flaw merely because it was a design choice. If the simplicity of the gameplay inevitably causes the game to be dull and repetitive, then I think it certainly should be adressed.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10143 Posts
To the people saying Clear Sky will flop: No it won't. People are expecting an A score. If it scores 6.5, it'll be a flop. But most people know it'll score a 7.
Avatar image for deactivated-59da85d821feb
deactivated-59da85d821feb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 deactivated-59da85d821feb
Member since 2006 • 2075 Posts

Hmm... Unexpected. I thought this would get higher... I'll still pick it up though. 8 still means it's a great game.

I'm trying to decide just now whether this or Too Human is a bigger flop. I mean, this was hyped way more, but the score received was only 1 below it's hype level. Too Human wasn't hyped too much, only by a few lemmings, but it received a score about 2 below it's hype level (A/AA so 7.5).

Good thing I'm not one to hype games, or care what a review says :P

linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#217 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts
my god, i had a feeling it might get an 8.5, i never expected an 8 though, its still a great score, but...damn
hopesfall2own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 hopesfall2own
Member since 2008 • 2714 Posts
To the people saying Clear Sky will flop: No it won't. People are expecting an A score. If it scores 6.5, it'll be a flop. But most people know it'll score a 7. organic_machine
I've seen people say clear sky was to be the best shooter this year..:roll:
W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

O...M....G!

Flop of the Year confirmed! I totally wasn't expecting such a low score from this game, this was suppose to be the hermits first AAAAE? GOTY? GOTC? GOTD?

This was suppose to crush LBP?

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 skrat_01

[QUOTE="organic_machine"]To the people saying Clear Sky will flop: No it won't. People are expecting an A score. If it scores 6.5, it'll be a flop. But most people know it'll score a 7. hopesfall2own

Ive seen people who thought Too Human was going to be one of the best games this year....

Go Figure really.

From the few hours I have put into it it has much better shooting mechanics, and combat design than many games out there...The combat is much better than the first... Which is saying somthing as the firsts was damn good.... Its other issues that arent very shooter related, but design related that I have gripes with.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
That's pretty dissapointing, I expected 9.0-9.5 before any review and atleast 8.5 when the first few reviews trickled in. Like someone said, if people are expecting complexity and depth they are missing the point of the game (atleast what it looks to me , can't say till really I play the game)
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts

Sooo should we scratch it as a GOTY contender?

Still getting it though

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#223 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

The shear size and effort put into this game, makes it deserve better...

Only Minor flaws yet a 8.0 score? Don't care really, getting it anyway :)

Jeimseu

Basically Spore is just another Sim type game, which is way over done and should stop for a few years so its not a over used genre like FPS the last year and a half.

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 W1NGMAN-

[QUOTE="SpinoRaptor"]Seems like a lot of games have been flopping lately...CronoSquall

Ladies and gentlemen, hardass Gamespot is back.

Funny how everyone was crying about GS giving out too many high scores left and right, but now they're crying because GS is starting to put the hammer down on a lot of these games...

ugh SW folk will never be pleased.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 Giancar
Hopefully LBP will do a lot better here....
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 organic_machine

[QUOTE="organic_machine"]To the people saying Clear Sky will flop: No it won't. People are expecting an A score. If it scores 6.5, it'll be a flop. But most people know it'll score a 7. hopesfall2own

Maybe when the game was announced. But recently, all of us herms have been hyping this game roughly A. Some think AA, but most, A.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#227 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64041 Posts
To the people saying Clear Sky will flop: No it won't. People are expecting an A score. If it scores 6.5, it'll be a flop. But most people know it'll score a 7. organic_machine
Its a sequel to a game that got an 8.5 anything less than AA should be considered a flop.

STALKER SoC has been praised as an amazing game(as it should be)

and Clear Sky was suppose to build on that amazing formula.

So a "7 or 7.5" isn't good enough either. an 8.0 or 8.5 is meeting the hype, 9.0 9.5 is exceeding the hype a 10 is well....the PCs first AAAAE.....ever.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="hopesfall2own"][QUOTE="organic_machine"]To the people saying Clear Sky will flop: No it won't. People are expecting an A score. If it scores 6.5, it'll be a flop. But most people know it'll score a 7. organic_machine

Maybe when the game was announced. But recently, all of us herms have been hyping this game roughly A. Some think AA, but most, A.

because of reviews....That is backing out at during the final stretch. Like when lemmings tried to bail when Too Human was flopping, or when Cows wanted to bail when Haze was flopping.

The first game was AA, and it should be expected of the sequel to deliver on that quality level.
mubarakibnumar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 mubarakibnumar
Member since 2005 • 586 Posts

Hypocrisy at its finest.

Sooooo...Oblivion got a higher score even though it was "casualised", Rainbow six was also "casualised" and yet they all got a higher score than Spore. Reviewers need to be consistent. Spore was from the creators of the Sims where they expecting a Kid Icarus or an Ikaruga?

Bottom line is why wasn't there complaints by reviewers about the casualisation of Oblivion and Rainbow six yet Spore got an 8.0 for appealing to more people?

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
[QUOTE="CronoSquall"]

[QUOTE="SpinoRaptor"]Seems like a lot of games have been flopping lately...W1NGMAN-

Ladies and gentlemen, hardass Gamespot is back.

Funny how everyone was crying about GS giving out too many high scores left and right, but now they're crying because GS is starting to put the hammer down on a lot of these games...

ugh SW folk will never be pleased.

the most important thing is they should be consistent

Ilived

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 Ilived
Member since 2007 • 5516 Posts
I didn't really like the beta, I thought it was stupid and the whole idea seemed pretty damn boring. Felt like I was playing Pokemon.
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 organic_machine

[QUOTE="organic_machine"]To the people saying Clear Sky will flop: No it won't. People are expecting an A score. If it scores 6.5, it'll be a flop. But most people know it'll score a 7. jg4xchamp
Its a sequel to a game that got an 8.5 anything less than AA should be considered a flop.

So a "7 or 7.5" isn't good enough either. an 8.0 or 8.5 is meeting the hype, 9.0 9.5 is exceeding the hype a 10 is well....the PCs first AAAAE.....ever.

That's an interesting way to look at hype. I have not thought of it that way. But what happens in the case of say KZ 2? If it gets a 7, will it be considered a flop? Or is it a special case? I think herms started backing out when people actually got playable demos at conferences.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts
Meet Spore: flop of the generation.
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 organic_machine
Meet Spore: flop of the generation.Dreams-Visions
weak flaimbait.
angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts

Wouldn't Lair take it ???

I mean atleast Spore still ended up a pretty good game.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="organic_machine"]To the people saying Clear Sky will flop: No it won't. People are expecting an A score. If it scores 6.5, it'll be a flop. But most people know it'll score a 7. organic_machine

That's an interesting way to look at hype. I have not thought of it that way. But what happens in the case of say KZ 2? If it gets a 7, will it be considered a flop? Or is it a special case? I think herms started backing out when people actually got playable demos at conferences.

if people are overhyping....as in we are actually getting threads about how awesome KZ 2 looks and will be then, yes that when breaks the mold

Look assume Bungie makes Halo 4.

and everything is just solid, and nothing special

People praise, but never any definitive hype. Anything less than a 9.0 for a AAA franchise isn't good enough. Thats the way i see it. A sequel should be able to live up to, or build upon its prequel.

STALKER IMO can still get an 8.0 or an 8.5....That is what should be expected from it.

either way I haven't touched anything STALKER Related, exactly what is getting people to backoff the game, I loved the first one.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 jg4xchamp
um

1- Lair and Too Human were much worse.....Much much worse(and yes well aware of the fact I Enjoyed Too HUman)

2- If we are going by fan hype, and guaranteed goty crap. TWILIGHT PRINCESS. Mass suicides, and the 8.8 was all over the net gametrailers forums, IGN forums, Neogaf, etc

3- The game got an 8.0, when was an 8.0 bad?
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 Dreams-Visions

[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]Meet Spore: flop of the generation.organic_machine
weak flaimbait.

Spore was to be GoTY in whatever year it was released. How far from that are we? A long, LOOOOONG way.

[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]Meet Spore: flop of the generation.angelkimne

Wouldn't Lair take it ???

I mean atleast Spore still ended up a pretty good game.

Not in my opinion. Spore had unparalled hype. Since its debut it was to be the game that ended all games. No other GoTY contenders need apply.
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 organic_machine

either way I haven't touched anything STALKER Related, exactly what is getting people to backoff the game, I loved the first one.jg4xchamp

The game is apparently frusterating. Money is now next to impossible to come by. So are artifacts (which is good and bad). Poor gameplay choices (not being able to fight back when bandits rob you). Based on what we hear, it's not very balanced.

The gunplay, however is still the same, which is great!:D

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 Dreams-Visions

[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]Meet Spore: flop of the generation.jg4xchamp
um

1- Lair and Too Human were much worse.....Much much worse(and yes well aware of the fact I Enjoyed Too HUman)

2- If we are going by fan hype, and guaranteed goty crap. TWILIGHT PRINCESS. Mass suicides, and the 8.8 was all over the net gametrailers forums, IGN forums, Neogaf, etc

3- The game got an 8.0, when was an 8.0 bad?

It went from GOTY guaranteed...possible 10...to just barely hanging on to AA status.

An epic drop to be sure. Just because nobody has been talking about the game recently doesn't mean it wasn't the most hyped PC game in the last 3 years.

organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 organic_machine
Spore had unparalled hype.Dreams-Visions
It was hyped AAA. :| Who cares about GOTY, that's not what official hype is based off of. Official hype and the definition of a flop is based on score. It score AA. It's a flop, I got owned. But flop of the generation, you're just trying to annoy people.
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 Giancar

That title belongs to too human 10 years wasted big time!

Follow ups: TP, K1, Lair

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 W1NGMAN-

[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]Meet Spore: flop of the generation.organic_machine
weak flaimbait.

Flamebait? He's just stating the truth, this was easily the second most hyped game this year...this and LBP have huge amount of hype....and Spore completely bombed in reaching that hype.

organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 organic_machine

[QUOTE="organic_machine"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]Meet Spore: flop of the generation.W1NGMAN-

weak flaimbait.

Flamebait? He's just stating the truth, this was easily the second most hyped game this year...this and LBP have huge amount of hype....and Spore completely bombed in reaching that hype.

It was hyped AAA. It scored AA. That is a flop, no doubt. That's not the flop of the generation, I'm sorry.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#245 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

more like flop of the decade

most friends of mine were hyping this game for years. beeing the game that will revolutionize gaming

allthough an 8.0 is not a bad score at all, it's still very dissapointing.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 Dreams-Visions

[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]Spore had unparalled hype.organic_machine
It was hyped AAA. :| Who cares about GOTY, that's not what official hype is based off of. Official hype and the definition of a flop is based on score. It score AA. It's a flop, I got owned. But flop of the generation, you're just trying to annoy people.

Keep trying to minimize this flop. lol.

This game's hype was higer than Halo 3. Higher than Crysis. Higher than Galaxy and Brawl. It was the heavenly game that God himself shined down upon and touched with his own code.

To pretend it was hyped like any other game is an exercise in intellectual dishonesty.

Spore was to be the greatest game this generation had seen. Maybe the greatest game ever.

It's barely Heavenly Sword. Not even The Sims. Certainly not Sim City.

[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]Meet Spore: flop of the generation.Giancar

Nah. Too Human was only in development 3 years and never really had any meaningful hype beyond the handful of diehards.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"]

[QUOTE="organic_machine"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]Meet Spore: flop of the generation.organic_machine

weak flaimbait.

It was hyped AAA. It scored AA. That is a flop, no doubt. That's not the flop of the generation, I'm sorry.

ridiculous damage control, sir. just ridiculous. to pretend Spore was now "just another game" is just sad.

[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]Meet Spore: flop of the generation.killerfist

more like flop of the decade

most friends of mine were hyping this game for years. beeing the game that will revolutionize gaming

allthough an 8.0 is not a bad score at all, it's still very dissapointing.

glad someone else knows what really went down around here.
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 organic_machine

This game's hype was higer than Halo 3. Higher than Crysis. Higher than Galaxy and Brawl. It was the heavenly game that God himself shined down upon and touched with his own code.

To pretend it was hyped like any other game is an exercise in intellectual dishonesty.

Spore was to be the greatest game this generation had seen. Maybe the greatest game ever.

Dreams-Visions

What are you talking about? The games hype was AAA. You're just trying to troll. The game flopped. I'm not in denial about this one. We all thought it was going to score AAA, and we got owned. Hard. Yeah, a few posters thought it would score ten, but there are people who think that about every game. Including KZ2. And the hype for KZ 2 is not AAAA just because of a few people. The official hype for Spore was AAA. Stop attempting to troll. Yes, we got owned.

Benjamin19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#249 Benjamin19
Member since 2005 • 187 Posts
I agree when someone in this thread calls it the biggest flop of the generation. It's a hard fact, as far as I've gathered. I've seen tons of hermits hyping this to be the most innovative, revolutionising game since Tetris. I hope this will cut of their arrogance. I think this is gonna go into history, on this paticular forum.
W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 W1NGMAN-

[QUOTE="organic_machine"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]Spore had unparalled hype.Dreams-Visions

[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]Meet Spore: flop of the generation.Giancar

Nah. Too Human was only in development 3 years and never really had any meaningful hype beyond the handful of diehards.

Couldn't have said it any better, good job sir!