Official Spore Discussion Thread - KEEP IT HERE

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zaeryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#701 Zaeryn
Member since 2005 • 9070 Posts
Well I won't be getting this game now.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#702 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
Member since 2005 • 8599 Posts

I'm at the fourth stage now.

There really are no consequences for your actions. Spore never gets you any sense of accomplishment, because everything is so simple, easy, and shallow.

Spore had a lot of potentional, but it failed. It tried to take three or so different genres and feature them all in one game. As an end result, Spore excels at nothing, aside from the Character Creation aspect. It doesn't do anything, gameplay-wise, that makes it stand out more than any 2D shooter, offline MMORPG, or RTS.

I'd give it a 5 out of 10, so far. That might be a bit generous, but the presentation, graphics, sound, and Character Creation are pretty commendable. It's just a shame that nothing---absolutely nothing---is new in terms of gameplay.

I recommend getting Amazing Island for Character Creation needs, Geometry Wars 2 for your 2D shooter needs, Final Fantasy XII for your offline MMORPG needs, and Age of Empires II for your RTS needs.

That basically gives you Spore with more depth. Combine those four games together, and that's what you get. An experience similar to Spore, except deeper.

I can't comment on the online aspect yet, and what game would be there to replace it, seeing as I'm still only on stage four.

redbaron3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#703 redbaron3
Member since 2004 • 984 Posts
[QUOTE="redbaron3"][QUOTE="DeathScape666"]

I've been with my little brother, playing Spore for the past hour or so. The cell stage was incredibly boring. It was so basic; so shallow. I just went around the whole freaking time eating meat, and occasionally growing. It was cool seeing these huge creatures, and then I grow up and eat them. Other than that, that's all I did.

The second stage is like the first stage on land, but a bit different. It's still terribly boring. The combat only allows four options, so there's not a whole lot of strategy involved. The social skills are stupid. I feel like I'm playing a downgraded version of The Sims.

There's really nothing else to it. They gave you annoying missions to do in the second stage, but that's it. It seems like all the other stages will go this route.

The character creation parts were pretty cool. But I won't spend that much time making a creature.

So far, Spore is a terrible game. Luckily, I only spent fifteen dollars on it, while my little brother covered the rest. I am so unimpressed by this game, but it's good to know my brother is enjoying it.

I'll tell you how the end of stage 2 goes, and how 3, 4, and 5 go. The review tells pretty much everything you can do. There really IS nothing you CAN do.

shakmaster13

ill take that reviw with a grain of salt

isn't he that sheep that keeps bashing spore and anything pc related?

that he is...

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#704 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
Member since 2005 • 8599 Posts

that he is... redbaron3

I gave the game a chance.

I went out and bought it.

I didn't like it. I actually dislike it a lot more than I thought I would.

Spore is just one game that I didn't like. I'm bashing it because it was supposed to be "the best game, ever."

How could people not realize that it was going to end up this bad? Seriously...

I just can't wait until I get to Stage 5.

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#705 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts
So that means Spore flopped right?
xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#706 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts

So that means Spore flopped right? GioVela2010

Yes. Blame devs for catering to the casuals and not gamers. I'm sick of the simplicity of this generation's games..

Hoobinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#707 Hoobinator
Member since 2006 • 6899 Posts

Flop.

Maybe the warning signs should have been flashing when the word "Sims" and "Spore" were starting to be used in the same sentence. I can't believe Hermits were prasing Will Wright "the creator of the Sims" they said, yeah that casual POS, the same game that was derided for years as being the epitome of all that is casual and disgusting within the games industry, was now being seen as some sort of revolution in the industry.

Overhyped and under-delivered.

horrowhip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#708 horrowhip
Member since 2005 • 5002 Posts

[QUOTE="redbaron3"]

that he is... DeathScape666

Spore is just one game that I didn't like. I'm bashing it because it was supposed to be "the best game, ever."

I would bet that the over 200 Best of E3 awards it has won would have something to do with that.

Honestly, if any other game recieved THAT MUCH universal acclaim, no group would have EVER hyped less than AAA.

That is precisely the reason LBP gets its hype.

anshul89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#709 anshul89
Member since 2006 • 5705 Posts
gotta agree with deathscape. spore is a snoozefest thats aimed at 10 year olds. i really cant understand how it got an 8. creature creator is the only good thing i can think of.

*goes back to playing manly games (company of heroes)*
anshul89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#710 anshul89

[QUOTE="GioVela2010"]So that means Spore flopped right? xsubtownerx

Yes. Blame devs for catering to the casuals and not gamers. I'm sick of the simplicity of this generation's games..

wow what a hypocrite. first you said reviews are opinions and not facts - yet you go on to say spore is a flop based on gamespots review :x
verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#711 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

Flop.

Maybe the warning signs should have been flashing when the word "Sims" and "Spore" were starting to be used in the same sentence. I can't believe Hermits were prasing Will Wright "the creator of the Sims" they said, yeah that casual POS, the same game that was derided for years as being the epitome of all that is casual and disgusting within the games industry, was now being seen as some sort of revolution in the industry.

Overhyped and under-delivered.

Hoobinator

And I argued with people for a long time, saying that it was just another sims game.

If it was originally to be called SimsEverything, that isn't a sims game?

Anyways, I was expecting a higher score than 8. Oh well. I was hoping around 8.5 or 9.0

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#712 xsubtownerx
[QUOTE="xsubtownerx"]

[QUOTE="GioVela2010"]So that means Spore flopped right? anshul89

wow what a hypocrite. first you said reviews are opinions and not facts - yet you go on to say spore is a flop based on gamespots review :x

You're not telling me this are you? Because I never said any of that. But for the record, according to SW rules, the game is a flop. No denying this.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#713 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
I would give the game a 9.0. I find it funny how ppl are complaining that the game is too easy. When in fact Wil Wright sees the "game" as just a tutorial for how to use all the tools. It's like the Sims and how getting the top of the career ladder wasn't what real Sims players played for. They spent most of there time creating new things that had nothing to do with any canned storyline. I see spore as the same thing but on a new level. if you just played the campaign just looking to win, well you'll get bored fast. if you want to create and explore all the possibilities, well this game will keep you interested for a LONG time.
anshul89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#714 anshul89
[QUOTE="anshul89"][QUOTE="xsubtownerx"]

[QUOTE="GioVela2010"]So that means Spore flopped right? xsubtownerx

You're not telling me this are you? Because I never said any of that. But for the record, according to SW rules, the game is a flop. No denying this.

Also most "high quality exclusives" is also subjective.

xsubtownerx

wow ok.
MojondeVACA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#715 MojondeVACA
Member since 2008 • 3916 Posts
[QUOTE="anshul89"][QUOTE="Haku_Ryushi"][QUOTE="anshul89"][QUOTE="Haku_Ryushi"]

LOL @ your pointless comment and sig. It just proves that your a fanboy. PC gaming always wins? I don't like to sit on my butt 1 inch away from my computer screen and burn my eye sockets out and play so uncomfortably. Besides, the PC only has 5 great games :lol: as oppose to the PS3 360 and Wii which has WAY better exclusives

Haku_Ryushi

yeah pc wins in every objective way possible (which is what system wars is about)

most high quality exclusives - check

best graphics - check

best sound - check

dedicated servers - check

largest selection controller keyboords and mice - check

your arguments are purely subjective.

Most high quality exclusives? Go to 360. Best sound? Just a question and don't flame cuz this is for real. Could you hook up a PC to 7.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound system? And pretty much the rest of your comment has no point and means nothing.

this is exactly why i put the exclusives list in my sig - it needs to drilled into every console gamers head. heres the list

lol @ 7.1 not possible on pc's. thats as sad as wok7's hd thread

Again. Not a worthy response. I'm done here. Biggest hermit i've encountered through out the whole time i've been in System Wars.

No what he said is a fact and you just got owned and since you got nothing to counter his argument u ran away and called him teh biggest hermit :roll:
Benjamin19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#716 Benjamin19
Member since 2005 • 187 Posts
[QUOTE="DeathScape666"]

[QUOTE="redbaron3"]

that he is... horrowhip

I would bet that the over 200 Best of E3 awards it has won would have something to do with that.

Honestly, if any other game recieved THAT MUCH universal acclaim, no group would have EVER hyped less than AAA.

That is precisely the reason LBP gets its hype.

And you don't think those "awards" are because of anticipation? No one was ever really shown the game in a full version. As far as I've seen they only showed each "stage" apart from each other, the game doesn't work as a full game. I think many people called this.

Ignee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#717 Ignee
Member since 2004 • 209 Posts

I would give the game a 9.0. I find it funny how ppl are complaining that the game is too easy. When in fact Wil Wright sees the "game" as just a tutorial for how to use all the tools. It's like the Sims and how getting the top of the career ladder wasn't what real Sims players played for. They spent most of there time creating new things that had nothing to do with any canned storyline. I see spore as the same thing but on a new level. if you just played the campaign just looking to win, well you'll get bored fast. if you want to create and explore all the possibilities, well this game will keep you interested for a LONG time.Ontain

I agree, Spore isn't just about getting from point A to point B. It's about what you can create, and how every time you play through, it will be a different experience, it's not meant to be played once. I love it.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#718 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
[QUOTE="Haku_Ryushi"][QUOTE="anshul89"][QUOTE="Haku_Ryushi"][QUOTE="anshul89"][QUOTE="Haku_Ryushi"]

LOL @ your pointless comment and sig. It just proves that your a fanboy. PC gaming always wins? I don't like to sit on my butt 1 inch away from my computer screen and burn my eye sockets out and play so uncomfortably. Besides, the PC only has 5 great games :lol: as oppose to the PS3 360 and Wii which has WAY better exclusives

jaisimar_chelse

yeah pc wins in every objective way possible (which is what system wars is about)

most high quality exclusives - check

best graphics - check

best sound - check

dedicated servers - check

largest selection controller keyboords and mice - check

your arguments are purely subjective.

Most high quality exclusives? Go to 360. Best sound? Just a question and don't flame cuz this is for real. Could you hook up a PC to 7.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound system? And pretty much the rest of your comment has no point and means nothing.

this is exactly why i put the exclusives list in my sig - it needs to drilled into every console gamers head. heres the list

lol @ 7.1 not possible on pc's. thats as sad as wok7's hd thread

Again. Not a worthy response. I'm done here. Biggest hermit i've encountered through out the whole time i've been in System Wars.

how is it not a worthy response. what he said is pure fact. there is even a stickied thread about it.

I'm pretty sure cows don't believe in facts :P (j/k!)

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#719 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

I would give the game a 9.0. I find it funny how ppl are complaining that the game is too easy. When in fact Wil Wright sees the "game" as just a tutorial for how to use all the tools. It's like the Sims and how getting the top of the career ladder wasn't what real Sims players played for. They spent most of there time creating new things that had nothing to do with any canned storyline. I see spore as the same thing but on a new level. if you just played the campaign just looking to win, well you'll get bored fast. if you want to create and explore all the possibilities, well this game will keep you interested for a LONG time.Ontain

Smartest post I've seen today.

This is a game you play, not a game that plays you. It's not a Universal ride, like, say,the bazillion action games today.

darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#720 darklord888
Member since 2004 • 8382 Posts
I was one of the people most hyped for this game and I was really dissapointed at the start but after you get pasted that and see what spore has to offer rather than what it doesn't...it's a pretty damn good game.

It's really the first time I've been hit with hype disapointment then turned around and liked the game.
kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#721 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts

[QUOTE="Ontain"]I would give the game a 9.0. I find it funny how ppl are complaining that the game is too easy. When in fact Wil Wright sees the "game" as just a tutorial for how to use all the tools. It's like the Sims and how getting the top of the career ladder wasn't what real Sims players played for. They spent most of there time creating new things that had nothing to do with any canned storyline. I see spore as the same thing but on a new level. if you just played the campaign just looking to win, well you'll get bored fast. if you want to create and explore all the possibilities, well this game will keep you interested for a LONG time.Baranga

Smartest post I've seen today.

This is a game you play, not a game that plays you. It's not a Universal ride, like, say,the bazillion action games today.

exaclty, the only thing holding this back from people enjoying it is their imaginations, although i do admit, some points of the stages are a little shallow and id consider this game a solid 8/10, whcih still means is a great game

if only maxis decided to develop this with "hardcore gamers" in mind, then it could of been aaa/aaaa, but decided to take a safer route and make it casual and easy for anybody to play(which is why this game is still gonna sell tons)
krp008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#722 krp008
Member since 2006 • 4341 Posts

Man i just got power back to my house from the aftermath of hurricanne Gustav, and see this!

What happened to the GOTY, Spore? Too much hype can kill a game.

XenoNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#723 XenoNinja
Member since 2003 • 5380 Posts
for me, this game was a disappointment. I've only had it for two days now & I'm already sick of it.
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#724 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts
Haven't finished it yet, but I think the 8 is a fair score.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#725 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
Haven't finished it yet, but I think the 8 is a fair score.Eddie-Vedder
I agree. If you dissect the game, and look at it piece by piece, 8.0 is a fair score. But I'm having more fun than 8.0 would have you believe. Don't focus so much on what other games do better than Spore, focus on what Spore brings to the table as a complete game. Comparing the different stages to other fully equipped games out there really isn't fair. I've also noticed that the choices you make shouldn't be based on what is easiest. Yes you can forcefully take down another city with relative ease, but is that the kind of creature you created? That is only a question you can answer. Some people are going to get a lot of playtime out of this title.
xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#726 xsubtownerx
[QUOTE="xsubtownerx"][QUOTE="anshul89"][QUOTE="xsubtownerx"]

[QUOTE="GioVela2010"]So that means Spore flopped right? anshul89

Also most "high quality exclusives" is also subjective.

xsubtownerx

wow ok.

Wow indeed. You're trying way too hard.

bigcalkenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#727 bigcalkenobi
Member since 2006 • 1297 Posts
Is Walmart selling Spore? I went to mine today and they didn't have it. So I got on Walmart.com and it said not sold in stores. I would ask, but any time I ask anyone who works at my Walmart, they don't really know anything about games at all.
noswear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#728 noswear
Member since 2008 • 3263 Posts
Come to think of it, it is a very casual game. By the creators of The Sims. So no surprise, I guess.