Nintendo should abandon their "we're not competing slogan"

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#51 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41538 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

They need to release shyte that's not Mario. Every time they have an announcement or about to make one it's like oh gee is it a new Mario game!? oh I was right....ok don't care for Mario game number 250. Nintendo needs to drop Mario (at least for a little while), work on their online capability and drop the "we want to be the stupid innovative company" then they might actually be a top dog for the console market again.

Because THAT won't start a s***storm between them and their fans, now would it? It's bad enough that their relationship is diminishing over not one, not two, but THREE absent franchises, they don't need more, especially when it's one of their BIGGEST franchises.

I'm sorry Nintendoboy, but he's kind of right about Nintendo making too many Mario games. Not that its a bad thing, but adding in the Mario name just won't help much. Although, Mario Kart 8 will still sell as its addictive gameplay is fun for all.

As for your mentioned franchises, Nintendo pretty much tarnished Metroid themselves. I don't know about Star Fox, nor F-Zero though.

Still, even if there are too many Mario games, to give the franchise a complete rest even for a temporary amount of time is still asking for trouble considering the results of putting the other franchises on hold didn't help (and considering how long Metroid's been absent compared to Star Fox and F-Zero, only a few years feels like an eternity for some, who's to say it won't happen with Mario's fandom?). Whether or not Nintendo is to blame for tarnishing the missing IP's names, they still get hammered with requests regardless and that puts fans of all three franchises really on the line.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#52 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

They need to release shyte that's not Mario. Every time they have an announcement or about to make one it's like oh gee is it a new Mario game!? oh I was right....ok don't care for Mario game number 250. Nintendo needs to drop Mario (at least for a little while), work on their online capability and drop the "we want to be the stupid innovative company" then they might actually be a top dog for the console market again.

Because THAT won't start a s***storm between them and their fans, now would it? It's bad enough that their relationship is diminishing over not one, not two, but THREE absent franchises, they don't need more, especially when it's one of their BIGGEST franchises.

I'm sorry Nintendoboy, but he's kind of right about Nintendo making too many Mario games. Not that its a bad thing, but adding in the Mario name just won't help much. Although, Mario Kart 8 will still sell as its addictive gameplay is fun for all.

As for your mentioned franchises, Nintendo pretty much tarnished Metroid themselves. I don't know about Star Fox, nor F-Zero though.

Still, even if there are too many Mario games, to give the franchise a complete rest even for a temporary amount of time is still asking for trouble considering the results of putting the other franchises on hold didn't help (and considering how long Metroid's been absent compared to Star Fox and F-Zero, only a few years feels like an eternity for some, who's to say it won't happen with Mario's fandom?). Whether or not Nintendo is to blame for tarnishing the missing IP's names, they still get hammered with requests regardless and that puts fans of all three franchises really on the line.

The thing is how many Star Fox games are there compared to Mario games?, how many Metroid games are there compared to Mario games?, Lets go down the list.

There has been 6 Star Fox games since 1993

There has been around 3 dozen Mario games since 1983

There has been 13 Metroid games since 1985

Mario can afford some time off, if you can't afford to wait for Mario game #67...then you have a problem, there's games/series out there that people would love to see more of compared to another bland Mario game. Honestly I'd love if Nintendo could make a Star Fox game that sort of played like Mass Effect, before anyone flips out what I mean is kinda have a SF game where you have the typical Star Fox space battles/dog (no pun intended) fights and have gameplay where you play as Fox and company as a third person free roam on planets.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#53 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

Starfox & F-Zero Im guessing didn't do well on GC?..hence they are afraid to make ones...how well did the re-release of StarFox 64 on 3DS sold..cause that was meant to gauge (ridiculous imo) interest in StarFox.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

Nintendo should target the low end of the market with a cheap console made just for gaming. No strange gamepad with a hard drive for 250. Make the console 3x as powerful as the ps4 and dump the wii name.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#55 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@Devil-Itachi said:

They should probably go back to making hardware they can sell at $200. The competing, not competing thing is just nonsense don't care.

Devil they should go lower, Nintendos next toy should cost 150-200 price point. Their product needs to be moved to the toy section of retail stores. Nintendo should also revisit the Power Glove, Robot & Virtual boy type goggles. Nintendo should continue to do what Playstation doesnt do. Being that they no longer make High tech electronics, just classify them as high end toys.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 nintendoboy16

@Ballroompirate said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

The thing is how many Star Fox games are there compared to Mario games?, how many Metroid games are there compared to Mario games?, Lets go down the list.

Mario can afford some time off, if you can't afford to wait for Mario game #67...then you have a problem, there's games/series out there that people would love to see more of compared to another bland Mario game. Honestly I'd love if Nintendo could make a Star Fox game that sort of played like Mass Effect, before anyone flips out what I mean is kinda have a SF game where you have the typical Star Fox space battles/dog (no pun intended) fights and have gameplay where you play as Fox and company as a third person free roam on planets.

Do you honestly think the amount of games released for each franchise makes a whole lick of difference? If Mario misses a console gen with no platformer or a kart (it can live without party and olympics) and it only gets a Smash release, it would still cause an outcry. Mario can't afford time off when Nintendo's fans are so freaking impatient for their favorite IP to return.

Hell, I remember the cries for a new Zelda right after Twilight Princess.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By nintendoboy16

@superbuuman said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

Starfox & F-Zero Im guessing didn't do well on GC?..hence they are afraid to make ones...how well did the re-release of StarFox 64 on 3DS sold..cause that was meant to gauge (ridiculous imo) interest in StarFox.

It did decently in America. Horribly in Japan. As for Europe, hell if I know.

Walkerdowntown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#58 Walkerdowntown
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

They clearly aren't competing. When was the last time they came out with a new character or franchise? They aren't even trying anymore.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#59 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

as long as nintendo continues to make money doing what they are doing they will continue to do it whether we like it or not. I agree that they should start "competing" with MS and Sony but as it is now they make money doing what they do. Once that stops expect to see the old Nintendo we all came to know and love.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#60 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@Walkerdowntown said:

They clearly aren't competing. When was the last time they came out with a new character or franchise? They aren't even trying anymore.

It has been said that the future of Nintendo will be where their Handheld and Home Console is the same system. Causing their first party teams to only make a games once that works on both the handheld and console systems. They are supposed to have a back catalog of all their games ever made to work on this next Handheld-Console hybrid. Has anyone else heard about this?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By nintendoboy16

@NFJSupreme said:

as long as nintendo continues to make money doing what they are doing they will continue to do it whether we like it or not. I agree that they should start "competing" with MS and Sony but as it is now they make money doing what they do. Once that stops expect to see the old Nintendo we all came to know and love.

I have honest doubts you'll ever see the Nintendo you "knew and love."

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Ballroompirate

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Do you honestly think the amount of games released for each franchise makes a whole lick of difference? If Mario misses a console gen with no platformer or a kart (it can live without party and olympics) and it only gets a Smash release, it would still cause an outcry. Mario can't afford time off when Nintendo's fans are so freaking impatient for their favorite IP to return.

Hell, I remember the cries for a new Zelda right after Twilight Princess.

For starters what you are saying is the definition of the word speculation, so stop it. No one honestly knows what would happen if Mario would take say a 3 year break, but honestly if I was a betting man I would put money down that the majority of people wouldn't give two shytes about Mario being MIA for awhile. People give CoD crap for having yearly releases yet it's a sin to mention how many Mario games come out on a yearly bases that would make CoD blush.

As for Twlp, technically that was a gen 6 game that came out late during that gen and we didn't get another LoZ game (console wise) for 6 FRAKING YEARS (had 2 HH LoZ games within that time). The LoZ fan base was pretty much torn between liking and dislikng Twlp which isn't un heard of for the LoZ fanbase since they are divided every damn LoZ game. Also unlike Mario, the LoZ games are actually good. The gap between LoZ games is a strong reason why people always want another LoZ game cause they actually have to wait for it.

007hawk25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#63 007hawk25
Member since 2008 • 2093 Posts

@Gaming-Planet:

@Gaming-Planet said:

@007hawk25 said:

People need to stop being so bitchy and just play the games they enjoy playing.

Get #REKT, faggots.

Is this type of behavior fine now on GS? Calling people faggots...

This website has been a shithole for years now.

I just posted that because I barely use the website anymore and just wanted to rustle some jimmies.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@007hawk25: Are you 5?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17663 Posts

@NFJSupreme said:

as long as Nintendo continues to make money doing what they are doing they will continue to do it whether we like it or not. I agree that they should start "competing" with MS and Sony but as it is now they make money doing what they do. Once that stops expect to see the old Nintendo we all came to know and love.

That Nintendo is long dead. Until Nintendo undergoes a purging of all upper management we are not going to see any drastic change whatsoever. Which I don't think will happen, as the corporate culture there literally promotes stagnation. Many stay at the company for life, Iwata doesn't believe in firing anyone, and he has packed the board with his "yes" men (and is now buying back shares, another step to help ensure his domination is ensured).

Seriously, the great Nintendo of old is gone and buried. We're left with a shell of a once great company and this won't change anytime soon. I think at this point the best way to enjoy Nintendo is to enjoy what we get and lower our standards.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#66 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@superbuuman said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

Starfox on the GC was horrible compared to the N64 games, as for F-Zero, the franchise went downhill with its GBA incarnations. It all depends on how much Nintendo spend on development with those games vs how much they have sold to either break even with the costs or how much profits they made. I guess Nintendo spend a quite amount of money funding for F-Zero GX a long with AX which is probably why we aren't seeing a new F-Zero game yet.

007hawk25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By 007hawk25
Member since 2008 • 2093 Posts

@DocSanchez said:

Nope, just felt like pissing some people off in the worst forum section on a website that I no longer care about.

And judging by your genius response, it's working.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

@007hawk25 said:

@DocSanchez said:

Nope, just felt like pissing some people off in the worst forum section on a website that I no longer care about.

And judging by your genius response, it's working.

you should post more

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

Never get into a fight you can lose.

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#70  Edited By Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts

Nintendo doesn't fight.

They win.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#71  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@edwardecl said:

Never get into a fight you can lose.

So Nintendo is not fighting but still losing..isn't that even worse? :P

Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#72 Soniczero1993
Member since 2005 • 35070 Posts

PS4's titles have been lackluster to me and **** me if I even think about owning that piece of shit Xbox. Even some of my favorite IP's on Sony are either gone, turned into shit, or are becoming shit.

I'll be buying IP's I care about on a system that has them. And right now those two aren't it.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#73 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@millerlight89 said:

@super600: They don't need to appeal to the hardcore. Sony and MS don't appeal just to the HC. Ninty needs to learn how to work with developers. They need to learn to be diplomatic with 3rd party devs and publishers. I love Ninty, I like their games. I don't want them to have the same multiplat games on their system as sony and MS, but I would like to see more 3rd party exclusives. I remember watching a vid explaining how Ninty didn't even give many devs a devkit to play around with.

3rd party multiplats would matter if the Wii-U had parity, or at least the hardware specs were even remotely close with the PS4/Xbox 1. At least then *IF* the multiplats were delivered, the Wii-U could be competitive as a primary console.

However once I learned the specs were more like the PS3/360, I stopped caring about 3rd party multiplats on the Wii-U. Especially starting in 2014 and beyond. It just seemed so obvious that Wii-U would be dropped like a hot potato once "next gen" started. However I'm still amazed at how rapidly the previous gen multiplats have dried up for Wii-U, I figured it would at least still get the shared games with PS3/360 for at least 12-24 months.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#74  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

I am starting to feel that Mario is becoming very lame these days and with current market trends with children, they want something much cooler. Kids are fickle yet they prefer playing "cool" (Call of Duty and Mine Craft) games over lame games. Mario can be cool again if they give the franchise a rest and a new sense of style over lame cat suits.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#75  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@super600 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@super600 said:

@millerlight89 said:

@super600: They need to do something. What they are doing right now is not working for them in the console arena.

They have to plan their money carefully if they ever want to compete with ms or sony. They can't lose a lot of money or else they will be in a worse position than they are in now.They are probably changing their business stragety right now, but I do not expect nintendo to pull a 180 and appeal completely to the hardcore in the future because they don't think it's profitable. The best thing nintendo can do right now is to fix their online infrastructure and develop cheaper hardware in the future.

Not profitable?

You mean treating 3rd parties as an afterthought isn't working out? Having an online offering that resides in '06 isn't raking in the cash? Leaving their VC in shambles and under-utilized isn't grabbing those wallets? Not preparing for HD development when they had the chance didn't turn out to be a brilliant foresight? Not investing their massive warchest years ago in numerous lagging areas of infrastructure needed today didn't prove lucrative? But to Nintendo, and its fans who drink up their "we can't compete" kook-aid line, they just CAN'T be profitable no matter what. It's impossible. I suppose they can't be profitable in this game when they're managed by a bunch of senile, out-of-tough idiots who are lazy, arrogant, stubborn, and unable to see two inches in front of their faces when it was needed years ago.

NOTHING keeps Nintendo from competing except their own attitude and ineptitude. They have all the resources necessary, and they have things their competition would kill to have: an amazing legacy and killer stable of IPs. I'd say the greatest hardship Nintendo has to overcome at this point (besides getting to work) is the immense loss of consumer faith over the years. Nintendo's name doesn't nearly hold the brand name power to many it used to. But that's no one else's fault but NCL's.

Nintendo does not think making games mostly for the hardcore is profitable because a lot of games last gen were not that profitable and businesses got destroyed because of the high development/marketing costs last gen.Nntendo wants to stop the development costs of games from increasing exponentially like what happened last gen.They can do some things to improve their business like improving their online infrastructure and making their consoles easier to port to, but trying to compete with ms or sony in the graphics department is a terrible idea.

PS4 development is supposedly a cheaper process, or at least held the line from last gen. It's supposedly much more streamlined due to the x86 architecture, and improved development tools - at least compared with what developers had to do to port games to the cell. No idea how the transition from the 360 to Xbox 1 is in terms of costs. But alot of it really boils down to the production values that developers want to put into their games. I'm sure developers going for cinematic blockbusters will continue to see their costs go up, but there will still be room for games from smaller teams, and with lower budgets to get ported to consoles (see Witcher 3 developers) .

There is no reason that just because the hardware power goes up, that things couldn't be done to improve the efficiency of game development (thereby holding costs down). It seems stupid to try and hold costs down by gimping hardware.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Ballroompirate

@2Chalupas said:

@millerlight89 said:

@super600: They don't need to appeal to the hardcore. Sony and MS don't appeal just to the HC. Ninty needs to learn how to work with developers. They need to learn to be diplomatic with 3rd party devs and publishers. I love Ninty, I like their games. I don't want them to have the same multiplat games on their system as sony and MS, but I would like to see more 3rd party exclusives. I remember watching a vid explaining how Ninty didn't even give many devs a devkit to play around with.

3rd party multiplats would matter if the Wii-U had parity, or at least the hardware specs were even remotely close with the PS4/Xbox 1. At least then *IF* the multiplats were delivered, the Wii-U could be competitive as a primary console.

However once I learned the specs were more like the PS3/360, I stopped caring about 3rd party multiplats on the Wii-U. Especially starting in 2014 and beyond. It just seemed so obvious that Wii-U would be dropped like a hot potato once "next gen" started. However I'm still amazed at how rapidly the previous gen multiplats have dried up for Wii-U, I figured it would at least still get the shared games with PS3/360 for at least 12-24 months.

The reason why you wont see PS3/360 multiplats going to the Wii-U isn't really a hardware problem (it's still a major problem though), the other factor we have to look at, specially with devs is how to take a gameplay scheme designed for PS3/360 control schemes to a Wii-U pad. Some genres could work with the Wii-U pad while others won't work. It's kind of like the whole some genres play better on PC than consoles and vice versa, but this is waaay worse.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#77 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@2Chalupas said:

@super600 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@super600 said:

@millerlight89 said:

@super600: They need to do something. What they are doing right now is not working for them in the console arena.

They have to plan their money carefully if they ever want to compete with ms or sony. They can't lose a lot of money or else they will be in a worse position than they are in now.They are probably changing their business stragety right now, but I do not expect nintendo to pull a 180 and appeal completely to the hardcore in the future because they don't think it's profitable. The best thing nintendo can do right now is to fix their online infrastructure and develop cheaper hardware in the future.

Not profitable?

You mean treating 3rd parties as an afterthought isn't working out? Having an online offering that resides in '06 isn't raking in the cash? Leaving their VC in shambles and under-utilized isn't grabbing those wallets? Not preparing for HD development when they had the chance didn't turn out to be a brilliant foresight? Not investing their massive warchest years ago in numerous lagging areas of infrastructure needed today didn't prove lucrative? But to Nintendo, and its fans who drink up their "we can't compete" kook-aid line, they just CAN'T be profitable no matter what. It's impossible. I suppose they can't be profitable in this game when they're managed by a bunch of senile, out-of-tough idiots who are lazy, arrogant, stubborn, and unable to see two inches in front of their faces when it was needed years ago.

NOTHING keeps Nintendo from competing except their own attitude and ineptitude. They have all the resources necessary, and they have things their competition would kill to have: an amazing legacy and killer stable of IPs. I'd say the greatest hardship Nintendo has to overcome at this point (besides getting to work) is the immense loss of consumer faith over the years. Nintendo's name doesn't nearly hold the brand name power to many it used to. But that's no one else's fault but NCL's.

Nintendo does not think making games mostly for the hardcore is profitable because a lot of games last gen were not that profitable and businesses got destroyed because of the high development/marketing costs last gen.Nntendo wants to stop the development costs of games from increasing exponentially like what happened last gen.They can do some things to improve their business like improving their online infrastructure and making their consoles easier to port to, but trying to compete with ms or sony in the graphics department is a terrible idea.

PS4 development is supposedly a cheaper process, or at least held the line from last gen. It's supposedly much more streamlined due to the x86 architecture, and improved development tools - at least compared with what developers had to do to port games to the cell. No idea how the transition from the 360 to Xbox 1 is in terms of costs. But alot of it really boils down to the production values that developers want to put into their games. I'm sure developers going for cinematic blockbusters will continue to see their costs go up, but there will still be room for games from smaller teams, and with lower budgets to get ported to consoles (see Witcher 3 developers) .

There is no reason that just because the hardware power goes up, that things couldn't be done to improve the efficiency of game development (thereby holding costs down). It seems stupid to try and hold costs down by gimping hardware.

Yes!I agree about the bolded. Marketing costs may also influence the amount spent on one game. Gimped hardware can hurt game development a bit, but at the same time the more powerful a piece of hardware is the more people want to be impressed by that hardware which may increase development costs like what happened last gen.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

There's no reason the Wii U shouldn't have both first party and third party support. They had plenty of time and money from the wii era to prepare and instead bet the horse trying to jock apple with that shitty bootleg useless tablet