Nintendo should abandon their "we're not competing slogan"

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

Instead, just say "We like you Microsoft and Sony, but we're going to murder you and claim the top."

And Nintendo will keep competing until Nintendo is the main console and people buy Sony for games like Uncharted.

I mean, they weren't "not competing" with Sega in the 80's and 90's when they were floundering them.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

So you want them to lose billions while they are trying to build the infrastructure to appeal to the hardcore which may not be a profitable move for them.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

@super600: They need to do something. What they are doing right now is not working for them in the console arena.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 drekula2

@super600 said:

So you want them to lose billions while they are trying to build the infrastructure to appeal to the hardcore which may not be a profitable move for them.

could they lose any more money than they are now, not having third-party, a good controller, a fair price point, good hardware, and good indie support?

when even the casuals have no clue what wii-u is, you're in trouble.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I like the "I don't give a shit" mentality. It's interesting.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 drekula2

@trugs26 said:

to watch. but if you care about nintendo, it's not.

its basically like a drunk man swaggering and stumbling himself off a cliff

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 millerlight89

@drekula2 said:

@super600 said:

could they lose any more money than they are now, not having third-party, a good controller, a fair price point, good hardware, and good indie support?

when even the casuals have no clue what wii-u is, you're in trouble.

Well the casuals really didn't know the WiiU was even a new console. Most casuals who got the Wii moved on to tablet games, games on their phones, and facebook games.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By trugs26

@drekula2 said:

@trugs26 said:

to watch. but if you care about nintendo, it's not.

its basically like a drunk man swaggering and stumbling himself off a cliff

I do like Nintendo though. They do their own thing and it surprises consumers. It's hit or miss in terms of critical reception and sales, but I personally love the way they go about it. I still buy their products - it's unique and still offers experiences that simply aren't replicas of other systems.

Obviously they need to improve on things, and they acknowledge this. They will go about solving this problem their own way. Which I think is the interesting part of Nintendo. Let them do what they gotta do. At least we know they'll do it in way that's different. And that's something I can appreciate.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 super600  Moderator

@millerlight89 said:

@super600: They need to do something. What they are doing right now is not working for them in the console arena.

They have to plan their money carefully if they ever want to compete with ms or sony. They can't lose a lot of money or else they will be in a worse position than they are in now.They are probably changing their business stragety right now, but I do not expect nintendo to pull a 180 and appeal completely to the hardcore in the future because they don't think it's profitable. The best thing nintendo can do right now is to fix their online infrastructure and develop cheaper hardware in the future.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 millerlight89

@super600: They don't need to appeal to the hardcore. Sony and MS don't appeal just to the HC. Ninty needs to learn how to work with developers. They need to learn to be diplomatic with 3rd party devs and publishers. I love Ninty, I like their games. I don't want them to have the same multiplat games on their system as sony and MS, but I would like to see more 3rd party exclusives. I remember watching a vid explaining how Ninty didn't even give many devs a devkit to play around with.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Doesn't matter if they abandon it or not ..Iwata is stupid for saying it..they release a video game console, they are competing with Xbone & PS4 period. :P

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By drekula2

So, it's just an excuse.

I lost? Well, I wasn't trying anyway!

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#14 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

I dunno. Nintendo has failed to get third party support for the Wii U. And a lot of it has to do with Nintendo themselves.

Developers have mentioned horror stories of trying to get technical support from Nintendo and them getting back with the devs almost a week later.

One instance they inquired about online infrastructure and referenced Xbox Live and PSN features. Nintendos response as we have no idea what those platforms offer. Out of touch if you ask me.

I sure as hell would know what my competitors features are.

They have to foster relations with developers and get them on board, and at the same time offer competitive services.

They don't have to have a console as powerful, but rather a platform that developers want to use to deliver experiences that only the Wii U can deliver.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

It's nice to be able to act as if you're not competing. It saves you the trouble of actually having to work (thank God for that Blue Ocean, if it succeeds), you can set your own pathetic standards, and you can act like you own and run a monopoly in the area you operate (no wonder Nintendo likes to think they don't compete, then they have no reason to lower their prices, as they never do). Nintendo thinking it doesn't compete is just one more way it reinforces its self-delusion that it's perfectly ok to march to its own snail's pace. Unfortunately, reality is showing them otherwise, but instead of acknowledging it, they tuck their tails between their legs and run away to try something where they won't have opposition.

The truly sad thing about Nintendo is that through this very attitude, they allow themselves to be pushed around. If they decide to pursue something in the market, it's only to the point that somebody else doesn't infringe upon it. If it does, they run. Never stand their own ground, they either succeed in one area and dominate it, or run at the first sight if they at all have to actually have to fight over it. Strikes me as a pretty terrible way to run a company. I don't know how any company CAN be a success while nurturing even the slightest phobia of competition. That's part of what running a business entails. You shouldn't run away, you should run towards it.

And we're seeing where it's getting Nintendo. Keep up the corporate cowardice, Iwata. Keep your running shoes on, it's what you're good at.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@super600 said:

@millerlight89 said:

They have to plan their money carefully if they ever want to compete with ms or sony. They can't lose a lot of money or else they will be in a worse position than they are in now.They are probably changing their business stragety right now, but I do not expect nintendo to pull a 180 and appeal completely to the hardcore in the future because they don't think it's profitable. The best thing nintendo can do right now is to fix their online infrastructure and develop cheaper hardware in the future.

Not profitable?

You mean treating 3rd parties as an afterthought isn't working out? Having an online offering that resides in '06 isn't raking in the cash? Leaving their VC in shambles and under-utilized isn't grabbing those wallets? Not preparing for HD development when they had the chance didn't turn out to be a brilliant foresight? Not investing their massive warchest years ago in numerous lagging areas of infrastructure needed today didn't prove lucrative? But to Nintendo, and its fans who drink up their "we can't compete" kook-aid line, they just CAN'T be profitable no matter what. It's impossible. I suppose they can't be profitable in this game when they're managed by a bunch of senile, out-of-tough idiots who are lazy, arrogant, stubborn, and unable to see two inches in front of their faces when it was needed years ago.

NOTHING keeps Nintendo from competing except their own attitude and ineptitude. They have all the resources necessary, and they have things their competition would kill to have: an amazing legacy and killer stable of IPs. I'd say the greatest hardship Nintendo has to overcome at this point (besides getting to work) is the immense loss of consumer faith over the years. Nintendo's name doesn't nearly hold the brand name power to many it used to. But that's no one else's fault but NCL's.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Yeah. They definately need more games, be it 3rd or 1st Party. Doesn't matter, just make more games for the damn thing. And even more Local Multiplayer Features.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13660 Posts

If Nintendo aren't competing, their target market consists of about 10 people.

EZs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 EZs
Member since 2005 • 1573 Posts

At this point I feel like the Nintendo's direct competition is the iPad.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@speak_low: Exactly. You wont get much in terms of a coherent argument from anyone about this post.

The sad thing is in a few years time the Nintendo fanboys will be spending all their time in front of the tv using this "health console" and pretending it's a gaming platform. They'd follow Nintendo into a vat of pigswill.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

They should just make more games

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@super600 said:

@millerlight89 said:

Appealing to the hardcore MAY not be profitable. Appealing to no one DEFINITELY isn't profitable. Whoring out Mario, Kart, Smash, etc for another go around can only sell so many consoles.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

What they're doing with the WiiU is not working. Dead last this gen. If they want to keep on doing that, we'll see where that gets them.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

They need to release shyte that's not Mario. Every time they have an announcement or about to make one it's like oh gee is it a new Mario game!? oh I was right....ok don't care for Mario game number 250. Nintendo needs to drop Mario (at least for a little while), work on their online capability and drop the "we want to be the stupid innovative company" then they might actually be a top dog for the console market again.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#25 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

They need to release shyte that's not Mario. Every time they have an announcement or about to make one it's like oh gee is it a new Mario game!? oh I was right....ok don't care for Mario game number 250. Nintendo needs to drop Mario (at least for a little while), work on their online capability and drop the "we want to be the stupid innovative company" then they might actually be a top dog for the console market again.

Because THAT won't start a s***storm between them and their fans, now would it? It's bad enough that their relationship is diminishing over not one, not two, but THREE absent franchises, they don't need more, especially when it's one of their BIGGEST franchises.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By super600  Moderator

@locopatho said:

@super600 said:

@millerlight89 said:

Appealing to the hardcore MAY not be profitable. Appealing to no one DEFINITELY isn't profitable. Whoring out Mario, Kart, Smash, etc for another go around can only sell so many consoles.

True and that is why they need to diverse their business. If the WiiU had x86 architecture like the other two, was a bit stronger, but not to strong to make it harder for nintendo to develop games and supported more dx11 features nintendo would have been a bit btetter. At least they are working on improving their online infrastructure now.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Nintendo needs to adandon 90% of their policies and procedures if they want to be relevant again. They are just living on the name Nintendo right now and bailing out a sinking ship with stale old franchises.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 super600  Moderator

@MirkoS77 said:

@super600 said:

@millerlight89 said:

Not profitable?

You mean treating 3rd parties as an afterthought isn't working out? Having an online offering that resides in '06 isn't raking in the cash? Leaving their VC in shambles and under-utilized isn't grabbing those wallets? Not preparing for HD development when they had the chance didn't turn out to be a brilliant foresight? Not investing their massive warchest years ago in numerous lagging areas of infrastructure needed today didn't prove lucrative? But to Nintendo, and its fans who drink up their "we can't compete" kook-aid line, they just CAN'T be profitable no matter what. It's impossible. I suppose they can't be profitable in this game when they're managed by a bunch of senile, out-of-tough idiots who are lazy, arrogant, stubborn, and unable to see two inches in front of their faces when it was needed years ago.

NOTHING keeps Nintendo from competing except their own attitude and ineptitude. They have all the resources necessary, and they have things their competition would kill to have: an amazing legacy and killer stable of IPs. I'd say the greatest hardship Nintendo has to overcome at this point (besides getting to work) is the immense loss of consumer faith over the years. Nintendo's name doesn't nearly hold the brand name power to many it used to. But that's no one else's fault but NCL's.

Nintendo does not think making games mostly for the hardcore is profitable because a lot of games last gen were not that profitable and businesses got destroyed because of the high development/marketing costs last gen.Nntendo wants to stop the development costs of games from increasing exponentially like what happened last gen.They can do some things to improve their business like improving their online infrastructure and making their consoles easier to port to, but trying to compete with ms or sony in the graphics department is a terrible idea.

lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#29 lild1425
Member since 2004 • 6757 Posts

Their "we are not in competition" slogan is completely delusional. They are in direct competition whether they like it or not. When buying the new systems, I immediately believe my choices to be WiiU, PS4, and XOne.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

I don't really care if they're trying to compete or not. I just want them to put out more games for their fans.

StriateEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By StriateEnd
Member since 2013 • 521 Posts

Just pump out games from their quality first party, release a new model (a re-launch will build hype) and the money will roll in. Didn't Sony do that with the PS3?

Well I suppose the difference was that Sony had the backing of all third party publishers/devs...

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I agree. That kind of attitude just doesn't float in the gaming community.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@trugs26 said:

I've been gaming since the late 80's with the NES so love Nintendo, but even I have to admit it is interesting to watch their delusional denial.

I wonder how many people felt the same way about Atari? We'll never know because we didn't have the internet back then for people to bitch and moan about things.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By trugs26

@Boddicker said:

@trugs26 said:

I've been gaming since the late 80's with the NES so love Nintendo, but even I have to admit it is interesting to watch their delusional denial.

I wonder how many people felt the same way about Atari? We'll never know because we didn't have the internet back then for people to bitch and moan about things.

I feel like Nintendo have a certain idea that we don't know about, so when they go for it, it seems like they're being delusional and in denial. It's as if they know better and know worse than us at the same time. They go against what we expect constantly. For better or worse.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Why? They have no munitions to compete.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts
@nintendoboy16 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

Because THAT won't start a s***storm between them and their fans, now would it? It's bad enough that their relationship is diminishing over not one, not two, but THREE absent franchises, they don't need more, especially when it's one of their BIGGEST franchises.

Metroid and Starfox need new games asap, F-Zero...meh don't care, never liked the F-Zero games so that series can rot in oblivion for all I care. If anything Nintendo needs to work on Metroid, Starfox and a fraking Earthbound game.

As for Mario, it's the same shyt every game but with different powers/suits, honestly I haven't enjoyed a Mario game since Super Mario 64 (SMG was alright). People who flock to every Mario game are just like all those people who flock to every CoD game.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#38 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@drekula2 said:

Instead, just say "We like you Microsoft and Sony, but we're going to murder you and claim the top."

And Nintendo will keep competing until Nintendo is the main console and people buy Sony for games like Uncharted.

I mean, they weren't "not competing" with Sega in the 80's and 90's when they were floundering them.

Saying they are not competing is the same as saying they gave up in winning but still like playing the game of making video games. Nintendo does their own thing. Its good NOT to see the 3rd party games that Playstation gets on a Nintendo console. Let Nintendo make their own games and gadgets.

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts

They should probably go back to making hardware they can sell at $200. The competing, not competing thing is just nonsense don't care.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

They are competing with the casual market.

Vecna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Vecna
Member since 2002 • 3425 Posts

@Cloud_765 said:

I don't get why people are so butthurt about Nintendo.

When you bitch about consoles, the PC elitist fags win.

You sound to be the butthurt one.

PCs are the superior platform. The best console is a stripped down mediocre computer, and it only gets worse from there. If *** means has the most games, doesn't have to pay for online, pays less for their games sooner, can upgrade at will, then yeah whatever label you would like.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

@007hawk25 said:

People need to stop being so bitchy and just play the games they enjoy playing.

Get #REKT, faggots.

Is this type of behavior fine now on GS? Calling people faggots...

Vecna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Vecna
Member since 2002 • 3425 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:

@007hawk25 said:

People need to stop being so bitchy and just play the games they enjoy playing.

Get #REKT, faggots.

Is this type of behavior fine now on GS? Calling people faggots...

Cloud_765 says it is, good enough for me.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@ Gaming-Planet

Its Sunday ! Mods got a life to attend (I'm so jealous), just get him to call someone a ****** tomorrow and balance will be restored.

caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#47 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts

Knowing your competition and using them as a benchmark makes you stronger. Kinda how Ford said the 2015 Mustangs GT benchmark was the Porsche 911 and BMW M3. Of course the 2014 Mustang GT is faster than an M3 but now they are going for all around better.

Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#48 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts

I think it was a poor decision for Nintendo to run with that narrative. It really just perpetuates a lot of things that aren't true, like the whole "Wii U is not next gen," and ... you know ... the undeniable lack of Wii U presence on video-game blogs. I can't tell you how many posts I've seen that just pretend the console doesn't even exist. Even mainstream stories exclude Nintendo as part of the race. That stuff matters for the sake of brand exposure.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@super600 said:

Why should they only appeal to the hardcore? The hardcore has abandon them

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

I'm sorry Nintendoboy, but he's kind of right about Nintendo making too many Mario games. Not that its a bad thing, but adding in the Mario name just won't help much. Although, Mario Kart 8 will still sell as its addictive gameplay is fun for all.

As for your mentioned franchises, Nintendo pretty much tarnished Metroid themselves. I don't know about Star Fox, nor F-Zero though.