Nintendo failed with the Wii U and it's their own fault

• 169 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 LastRambo341
Member since 2010 • 8767 Posts

[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"][QUOTE="lamprey263"]I find Nintendo's biggest mistake was miscalculating 3rd party support.StrongBlackVine

That and Western 3rd Party are never going to support a Nintendo console even if the Wii U is more powerful than the PS4.

No one wants to develop for that sh!tty tablet.

It is not a tablet, its a controller with a screen
Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"] That and Western 3rd Party are never going to support a Nintendo console even if the Wii U is more powerful than the PS4.LastRambo341

Whatever. Regardless it takes extra work to make something unique just for Nintendo. Reason enough to avoid a struggling console.

J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#153 J-man45
Member since 2008 • 11043 Posts

Don't have enough money to the point where I feel comfortable buying a Wii U. Meanwhile, the 3DS continues to blow my mind with the insanely good quality games (gorgeous visuals, stellar gameplay). 3DS rivals consoles for me these days. It doesn't matter if Wii U "fails" because I think Nintendo has a good thing going with the 3DS.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 StrongBlackVine

Don't have enough money to the point where I feel comfortable buying a Wii U. Meanwhile, the 3DS continues to blow my mind with the insanely good quality games (gorgeous visuals, stellar gameplay). 3DS rivals consoles for me these days. It doesn't matter if Wii U "fails" because I think Nintendo has a good thing going with the 3DS.

J-man45

I have never owned a handheld, but that seems to be the area where Nintendo is actually competent.

Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Jurassic85
Member since 2010 • 2191 Posts
Specs have next to nothing to do with it. Games make the console, not the other way around. Now if you want to argue that devs don't want to make games for it DUE to the specs, then I'd say you might have a point. Nintendo still has Mario, Zelda, DK, Smash Bros, Pokemon, Metroid, etc. They aren't going to stop making consoles for a long time. The 3DS library started out terrible, but look at it now. Awesome 3rd party support, AND first party titles. The same thing might happen with the WiiU.
LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 LastRambo341

[QUOTE="LastRambo341"][QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

StrongBlackVine

Whatever. Regardless it takes extra work to make something unique just for Nintendo. Reason enough to avoid a struggling console.

You don't have a WiiU, so you really can't judge especially since you didn't try the games that really use it well. I absolutely think the controller is amazing and adds a new way to play
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 StrongBlackVine

[QUOTE="LastRambo341"] It is not a tablet, its a controller with a screenLastRambo341

You don't have a WiiU, so you really can't judge especially since you didn't try the games that really use it well. I absolutely think the controller is amazing and adds a new way to play

I don't need a new way to play. Standard controllers are just fine.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#158 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19681 Posts
Specs have next to nothing to do with it. Games make the console, not the other way around. Now if you want to argue that devs don't want to make games for it DUE to the specs, then I'd say you might have a point. Nintendo still has Mario, Zelda, DK, Smash Bros, Pokemon, Metroid, etc. They aren't going to stop making consoles for a long time. The 3DS library started out terrible, but look at it now. Awesome 3rd party support, AND first party titles. The same thing might happen with the WiiU. Jurassic85
Nintendo has plenty of Japanese third-party support, but not enough Western third-party support... kind of like the opposite to Microsoft.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Jag85

[QUOTE="LastRambo341"][QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

StrongBlackVine

Which is what the Wii U Pro controller is for...
J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#160 J-man45
Member since 2008 • 11043 Posts

[QUOTE="LastRambo341"] You don't have a WiiU, so you really can't judge especially since you didn't try the games that really use it well. I absolutely think the controller is amazing and adds a new way to playJag85

Except the games that force you to use the tablet and/or don't support pro controller at all. (playing devil's advocate here)

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 StrongBlackVine

[QUOTE="LastRambo341"] You don't have a WiiU, so you really can't judge especially since you didn't try the games that really use it well. I absolutely think the controller is amazing and adds a new way to playJag85

So you will paying extra to use a standard to controller to play on a console that is gimped because of the tablet controller you won't be using? :lol:

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Jag85

[QUOTE="Jag85"][QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

J-man45

Except the games that force you to use the tablet and/or don't support pro controller at all. (playing devil's advocate here)

Then don't buy those games, duh!

P.S. I'm playing Devil's advocate too, by the way. In fact, I've been playing Devil's advocate this whole time at SW (changing stance whenever it suits me best :twisted: ).

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Jag85

StrongBlackVine

So you will paying extra to use a standard to controller to play on a console that is gimped because of the tablet controller you won't be using? :lol:

And why exactly wouldn't I want to use the tablet-like controller? What a silly question.
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 StrongBlackVine

[QUOTE="Jag85"] Which is what the Wii U Pro controller is for...Jag85

And why exactly wouldn't I want to use the tablet-like controller? What a silly question.

Well I would be since I don't want a tablet controller as as consequence I don't want a Wii U.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#165 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

At this point I can absolutely see nintendo changing to a software producer or a handheld/software producer. After all I've seen from the wii u it's pretty much deserved. They're definitely not the same nintendo that released the SNES thats for damn sure.

jer_1

There are various factors at play here. During the SNES day, there wasn't any notable competion other than Sega. The western game development industry was also knee deep into PC gaming. Western devs made PC games, Japanese devs made console games. As such, being a purely japanese industry, Nintendo had much more influence on how the industry should roll. The industry trend was dictated by them.

Today, Japanese devs have taken a little of a back seat compared to the western devs. Things like online multiplayer and hardware architecture suddenly become a key factor. Consoles games are also expected to resemble PC-esque games. FPS games were once a PC-only genre. Game aspects like story, cinematography and character development MUST be of hollywood-esque standard.

Nintendo themselves haven't changed much. They were doing the same thing back then as they did with the Wii. Remember the Nintendo Zapper, SNES Bazooka, SNES mouse, Power Glove etc. etc.? Nintendo hasn't changed. The industry itself, and Nintendo's relevance to the industry....HAS.

LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 LastRambo341

J-man45

The tablet controller is basically a wiiu pro controller with a screen
LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 LastRambo341

StrongBlackVine

How is the WiiU gimped because of the controller? It is actually makes the controller more interesting
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Jag85

[QUOTE="jer_1"]

At this point I can absolutely see nintendo changing to a software producer or a handheld/software producer. After all I've seen from the wii u it's pretty much deserved. They're definitely not the same nintendo that released the SNES thats for damn sure.

jhcho2

There are various factors at play here. During the SNES day, there wasn't any notable competion other than Sega. The western game development industry was also knee deep into PC gaming. Western devs made PC games, Japanese devs made console games. As such, being a purely japanese industry, Nintendo had much more influence on how the industry should roll. The industry trend was dictated by them.

Today, Japanese devs have taken a little of a back seat compared to the western devs. Things like online multiplayer and hardware architecture suddenly become a key factor. Consoles games are also expected to resemble PC-esque games. FPS games were once a PC-only genre. Game aspects like story, cinematography and character development MUST be of hollywood-esque standard.

Nintendo themselves haven't changed much. They were doing the same thing back then as they did with the Wii. Remember the Nintendo Zapper, SNES Bazooka, SNES mouse, Power Glove etc. etc.? Nintendo hasn't changed. The industry itself, and Nintendo's relevance to the industry....HAS.

The gaming industry back in the 8-bit and 16-bit eras was more complex than that. Nintendo also had competition from Atari and NEC, but Sega was their main competitor in the West, while their main competitor in the East was NEC. Beyond consoles, the arcade market was even larger, and was where hardware architecture was pushed to its limits. As for the PC market, each region had their own leading platforms, with North America dominated by IBM and Apple, Europe dominated by Commodore and Sinclair, and Japan dominated by NEC, Sharp, and Fujitsu.

Regarding Nintendo, their consoles always had cutting-edge specs (by console standards, which were well below arcade standards) up until the Wii, when they decided to keep the specs lower than their competitors. Other than that, you're right that Nintendo hasn't really changed that much since those days.

genfactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#169 genfactor
Member since 2004 • 1472 Posts

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="silversix_"]A dying system deserves attention.

Shinobi120

There should be a limit to how many threads are created by a user per day about the same topic.

This. It just gets very old & tiring.

Why don't we have a "Wii U is doomed! keep it here" sticky?