Nintendo Announces 2D Mario Game for 3DS

• 166 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by charizard1605 (58231 posts) -

At their investors meeting, Nintendo announced that a new 2D sidescrolling Mario game would be coming to the 3DS in the fiscal year 2012-13.

SOURCE

They really are going all out, aren't they?

#2 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9628 posts) -

That's not surprising.

#3 Posted by Thefatness16 (4672 posts) -

Yet another game to pick when I get a 3DS.

#4 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42980 posts) -
That sounds pretty good to me.
#5 Posted by jadjei (417 posts) -

Thefatness16

This.

#6 Posted by Heirren (17349 posts) -

At their investors meeting, Nintendo announced that a new 2D sidescrolling Mario game would be coming to the 3DS in the fiscal year 2012-13.

SOURCE

They really are going all out, aren't they?

charizard1605

All out as in........taking an already designed game and releasing a map pack for 3DS? Hardly all out, sorry. This is coming from a huge Nintendo fan. I like 3DLand, but there is still yet to be a killer app imo. Mario Kart, perhaps, but one that defines the console, nope? I hope the original zelda title is not a disappointment.

#7 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -
They didn't say it was NSMB. Unless I'm missing something.
#8 Posted by rasengan2552 (4868 posts) -

Thefatness16
That sounds pretty good to me.Stevo_the_gamer
This is complete bull**** SW has double standards for rehashes. Nintendo is sacred I see is resistant to being repetitive.
#9 Posted by charizard1605 (58231 posts) -
[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]They didn't say it was NSMB. Unless I'm missing something.

2D sidescrolling Mario game. Has to be NSMB.
#10 Posted by AmayaPapaya (9029 posts) -

I like New Super Mario Brothers on the DS a ton more than the Wii. I feel like the 2D games find a nice home on handhelds. That said, it wouldn't make me buy a 3DS. I vastly prefer the likes of DK or Rayman over 2D mario any day.

#11 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42980 posts) -

This is complete bull**** SW has double standards for rehashes. Nintendo is sacred I see is resistant to being repetitive.rasengan2552
Wat.

#12 Posted by funsohng (28117 posts) -
It's now even more difficult to wait for the inevitable revision....
#13 Posted by ImSwordMan (2273 posts) -

Sounds like good news to me

#14 Posted by Eponique (17859 posts) -
[QUOTE="rasengan2552"] This is complete bull**** SW has double standards for rehashes. Nintendo is sacred I see is resistant to being repetitive.

lol cows be mad.
#15 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

Seems kind of early ... but hopefully it's more like New Super Mario Bros Wii than it is like New Super Mario Bros DS.

Some online connectivity and a level editor that you can share with your friends/other people and download QR codes of levels would be amazing.

#16 Posted by UNcartMe (556 posts) -

omg omg a mario game every year! talk about being worse than call of duty. nintendo are the smartest rehashers out there!

#17 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9628 posts) -

[QUOTE="rasengan2552"] This is complete bull**** SW has double standards for rehashes. Nintendo is sacred I see is resistant to being repetitive.Eponique
lol cows be mad.

He's kinda got a point. They just released a Mario game a few months ago.

#18 Posted by charizard1605 (58231 posts) -

[QUOTE="Eponique"][QUOTE="rasengan2552"] This is complete bull**** SW has double standards for rehashes. Nintendo is sacred I see is resistant to being repetitive.Demonjoe93

lol cows be mad.

Different series, brah. Mario 3D =/= Mario 2D.
#19 Posted by freedomfreak (40952 posts) -

Like that Wii game?

#20 Posted by Eponique (17859 posts) -

[QUOTE="Eponique"][QUOTE="rasengan2552"] This is complete bull**** SW has double standards for rehashes. Nintendo is sacred I see is resistant to being repetitive.Demonjoe93

lol cows be mad.

So did Uncharted. Even then, there's no other game like Super Mario 3D Land, and NSMB3D won't be anything like it either.
#21 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9628 posts) -

[QUOTE="Demonjoe93"]

[QUOTE="Eponique"] lol cows be mad.charizard1605

They're still releasing too many core Mario games at a time for this to be considered rehash, especially if it's just anothe NSMB.

#22 Posted by JohnF111 (14093 posts) -

Another Mario? Who would have known! Mario's name is being milked to hell.

#23 Posted by Giancar (19068 posts) -
Ehhh, hopefully this one is better than the ***** that was the wii version
#24 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9628 posts) -

[QUOTE="Demonjoe93"]

[QUOTE="Eponique"] lol cows be mad.Eponique

So did Uncharted. Even then, there's no other game like Super Mario 3D Land, and NSMB3D won't be anything like it either.

I'm not a very big Uncharted fan. Good game but I don't think Naughty Dog should be milking that series either, espeically since it's their worse series.

#25 Posted by rasengan2552 (4868 posts) -
[QUOTE="Demonjoe93"]

really ... wtf. you're a drone for Nintendo.
#26 Posted by charizard1605 (58231 posts) -

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Demonjoe93"]

rasengan2552

Totally.

#27 Posted by istreakforfood (7749 posts) -
Don't find this surprising at all.
#28 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9628 posts) -

Ehhh, hopefully this one is better than the ***** that was the wii versionGiancar

That's a little harsh, unless you played the whole game with four people, then I wouldn't blame you for hating it. That game is pure chaos with four people.

#29 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7295 posts) -

Not suprised at all Super Mario Bros 3D Land is the best 3DS so far so why not make a second one.

#30 Posted by rasengan2552 (4868 posts) -

[QUOTE="rasengan2552"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] Different series, brah. Mario 3D =/= Mario 2D.charizard1605

Totally.

Then comes the inevitable Mario Party. "Mario Party =/= mainline series" I've seen it all before :lol:
#31 Posted by Heirren (17349 posts) -

Really though...NSMB? How bout................................something new?:?

#32 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42980 posts) -

Seems kind of early ... but hopefully it's more like New Super Mario Bros Wii than it is like New Super Mario Bros DS.

Some online connectivity and a level editor that you can share with your friends/other people and download QR codes of levels would be amazing.

Haziqonfire

Target late 2012 or 2013 release doesn't sound too early to me. I like your thoughts though, that sounds good.

#33 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17223 posts) -

Wow, Nintendo is making it real hard for me to resist getting a 3DS. I wanted to wait for the eventual redesign, but I'm going to crack at this rate. :(

#34 Posted by Eponique (17859 posts) -

I'm not a very big Uncharted fan. Good game but I don't think Naughty Dog should be milking that series either, espeically since it's their worse series.

Demonjoe93
It's worse than Mario. There's a 3 month gap between Uncharted 3 and Uncharted Vita, and then 7-8 months later you're going to get Uncharted 4. That's 3 core Uncharted games in a year. You won't see cows complaining though. We still don't even know if NSMB is 2012 yet.
#35 Posted by charizard1605 (58231 posts) -
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]

[QUOTE="rasengan2552"] really ... wtf. you're a drone for Nintendo.rasengan2552

Totally.

Then comes the inevitable Mario Party. "Mario Party =/= mainline series" I've seen it all before :lol:

That's because Mario Party is NOT the mainline series :? It's like saying Final Fantasy Chocobo Racing is part of the mainline series.
#36 Posted by raskullibur (3390 posts) -
Its expected
#37 Posted by Giancar (19068 posts) -

[QUOTE="Giancar"]Ehhh, hopefully this one is better than the ***** that was the wii versionDemonjoe93

That's a little harsh, unless you played the whole game with four people, then I wouldn't blame you for hating it. That game is pure chaos with four people.

3 people, sometimes 2. And a couple of stages myself alone. I found it "uninspiring" Oh and the soundtrack, the soundtrack made me lots of time mad :evil:
#38 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26185 posts) -

I might be the only one here but...why? NSMB pales in comparison to SM3DL. I'd much rather see a SM3DL sequel.

EDIT: Hmm, he didn't specifically say NSMB. Iwata just said side-scrolling Super Mario 2D game.

#39 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42980 posts) -

Really though...NSMB? How bout................................something new?:?

Heirren

"Although there is no logo here, we are planning to release a totally new side-scrolling action Super Mario in 2D as a key title for the Nintendo 3DS in the next fiscal year"

-

That's not new? Or because it's a "mario" game, it can't possibly be considered new?

#40 Posted by rasengan2552 (4868 posts) -

can somebody tell me what the "N" stands for in "NSMB" ?

:D

#41 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9628 posts) -

[QUOTE="Demonjoe93"]

Eponique

It's worse than Mario. There's a 3 month gap between Uncharted 3 and Uncharted Vita, and then 7-8 months later you're going to get Uncharted 4. That's 3 core Uncharted games in a year. You won't see cows complaining though. We still don't even know if NSMB is 2012 yet.

I don't think we're gonna see a UC4. Aren't they developing The Last of Us right now?

#42 Posted by laus_basic (8286 posts) -

Argh, Mario again :x

Why not make a new 2D Metroid instead with awesome hand-drawn graphics and multilayered backgrounds taking full advantage of the 3D. How cool would that be huh.

#43 Posted by Giancar (19068 posts) -

can somebody tell me what the "N" stands for in "NSMB" ?

:D

rasengan2552

lol

#44 Posted by Eponique (17859 posts) -

I might be the only one here but...why? NSMB pales in comparison to SM3DL. I'd much rather see a SM3DL sequel.

ChubbyGuy40
One game is the second best selling non-bundled game of all time after Pokemon RBG, and the other is just another Mario game :P
#45 Posted by meetroid8 (21140 posts) -
That was quick. Hopefully they aren't just making a glorified expansion of the last one. I would really like some new ideas and concepts.
#46 Posted by rasengan2552 (4868 posts) -

[QUOTE="rasengan2552"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] Totally.charizard1605

That's because Mario Party is NOT the mainline series :? It's like saying Final Fantasy Chocobo Racing is part of the mainline series.

my point is the franchise gets milked to hell and back. the franchise.

#47 Posted by Heirren (17349 posts) -

[QUOTE="Demonjoe93"]

Eponique

You're full of $h*+. 3 Uncharted games in a year? There's been 3 PS3 Uncharted games in the entire lifespan of the system. They aren't skimpy releases, either--they have the production values of a first party Nintendo game. People should actually have higher expectations. Perhaps Nintendo has fallen behind the times afterall.

#48 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22488 posts) -

[QUOTE="Demonjoe93"]

to be fair SM3dL was pretty damn close to the 2d games in terms of gameplay

#49 Posted by ZumaJones07 (16458 posts) -
Stupid nintendo making me want their products earlier, AHHHH! I promised myself to hold off until Smash though.
#50 Posted by charizard1605 (58231 posts) -

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="rasengan2552"] Then comes the inevitable Mario Party. "Mario Party =/= mainline series" I've seen it all before :lol:rasengan2552

my point is the franchise gets milked to hell and back. the franchise.

I agree with you there, the Mario name and character gets used way too much.