Next gen's controllers, the direction they should take, and you

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

So as we sit at the forefront of a new gen one of the most exciting things is of course, the controllers! Nintendo has shown us its quirkiness and creativeness with the tablet but what do you guys/gals/in-betweens expect with MS and Sony?

Should we just have improved 360 and Dualshock controllers? Do you want to see something completely and new? Stronger and smarter implementation of the Move and Kinect?

I'd love to see a little creativity from MS and Sony but I suppose sticking with tried and true is the safest.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#2 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

i think nintendos doing it right , giving everyone what they want cutting it down the middle! just look at these options

-tablet controls

motion controls

and a pro controller that gives just basic stationary controls !

all three options plus wii accessories and so on , thats the very direction sony should go and ms well they can keep their kenict i m not touching it

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

What MS needs to do is take Kinect and improve it a lot. There is definitely potential there if they get it work with the right ideas and right technology. They should always incorporate some sort of controller in case the game requires it though.

What Sony needs to do is take the PS Move controller, burn it, then forget it ever existed. Then they need to come up with a better idea or make a new controller like the Wii U. The PS Move is very bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

i think nintendos doing it right , giving everyone what they want cutting it down the middle! just look at these options

-tablet controls

motion controls

and a pro controller that gives just basic stationary controls !

all three options plus wii accessories and so on , thats the very direction sony should go and ms well they can keep their kenict i m not touching it

mariokart64fan

Yeah, basically Nintendo's got the right idea.

Everyone made it clear that Sony can't rely on the same basic dualshock design though, they really need to change things up.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
One thing I've wondered about is if perhaps adding different sizes of controllers might be a good idea.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#6 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
Advanced haptic feedback is the only addition that makes sense, which is why no one will do it.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
i wouldn't mind a tablet controller on 720/ps4, but not something You must play with. Or they can do like 360 controller now and put touch controls on the back or something. Yes i want kinect .2 better cameras more power and placing it right with every console sold and from the start will help with better games If they do something like the wii u. i believe the regular controller needs be placed in the box as well.
JohnnyCageMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JohnnyCageMK
Member since 2012 • 4365 Posts
Kinect 2.0 will take a shyt all over the competition.
15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

Give me another dualshock or whatever. No motion controls, not tablets.

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Kinect 2.0 will take a shyt all over the competition.JohnnyCageMK
That's a good one...now what's your real opinion?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts
Sadly, IMO, Kinect(lol) will be the focus of MS's next offering with the success they had this gen with it. That's why I'm not buying it.
platniumgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 platniumgamer
Member since 2011 • 3960 Posts

Kinect 2.0 will take a shyt all over the competition.JohnnyCageMK

This.

Kinect 2.0 is going to be amazing, no need for a controller.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#13 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
kinect will exist on ms's next platform in a way deep to the experience, but the games will still be controlled primarily with regular controllers imo. Kinect will give optional features that "upgrade" the experience like the skyrim additions, but they will remain optional.
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

I expect next gen controllers to atleast be on the level of a Razer Onza, also they need to have a mode that makes the triggers accessible for rapid fire on non automatic guns in games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
I don't think theirs anything wrong with the controllers we have now. The Xbox could use a better d-pad and the PS3 better triggers, but otherwise both are very solid. I would be ecstatic if my current controllers all carried over, and if I wanted new ones, perhaps with these improvements I would have that option. I suppose that would cut into the bottom line, so I ain't expecting it.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
If the PS4 doesn't have a normal controller, then I will not be buying one.
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

For consoles, gamepads just work. KB+M support would be nice for certain games as an option, but I don't feel like any other control method retains the reliability of the input design already established. If you are going to make an addition (not an overhaul), the most relevant choice would be touch controls and I would point to what the Wii-U gamepad and Vita have done and incorporate/emulate that philosophy in design.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

I think the standard controller (Dualshock, 360 Gamepad, Pro Controller) is great as constituted. Altering those, would be change for changes sake. KB/M? Same thing, nothing really broken or lacking there.

Alternative controls? Sky's the limit. I don't really have any current wishes, as my input devices serve me well. A new method would have to prove its benefit to me, but I expect one will in time.

GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GunSmith1_basic
i know most gamers, including myself, just want an upgraded software experience with the same controllers, but will that capture the attention of the mainstream?
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 k2theswiss
still waiting for the brain wave controller
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I can't see a huge evolution of the controller, better (more) input and ergonomics might be the most likely evolution.

What I think we might see, is a focus on more controllers, as the whole "one controller to play them all" mentality seems to slip from the Console manufactors as we've seen this gen.

So we might see something akin to two diffrent controllers that defide genres. This is in no way the ideal, but lets face it, the controller as it is now, has a fair bit of faults at some certain genres.

So I foresee an attempt to deliver more then one controller as the standard, to have better control input in the different genres. Which is the most emidiete fix, but as I stated, not really the best long term option. So alot of experimentation with controllers, playstyles and focuses, will likely be one of the focuses of teh Gen.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
all i want is a dualshock 4.... **** the rest
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GunSmith1_basic
still waiting for the brain wave controllerk2theswiss
it's all fun until lightning strikes the main hub and reverses the polarity
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

Xbox controller needs wider triggers and internal battery and thats it

Dualshock obviously shouldn't have any major changes.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. srs

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
I'm expecting all consoles to have a tablet. Wouldn't surprise me if they could be used to dim the lights and change the inputs/channels on your Tv if you have a modern TV
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

They should all be like the Wii U controller.

You have standard controls, but with all the benefits of a big touch screen which potentially opens up the doors for not only more genres, but also enhancing the ones that are already on the consoles.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
I'm sure there will be little changes here and there, but there's no reason to reinvent the wheel. The PS3 controller needs a more ergonomic shape, and the Xbox 360 controller needs a better D-pad, but aside from what's on the inside of the controller I don't really see them changing much in the next few years.
Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Plagueless
Member since 2010 • 2569 Posts
I just want a 360 controller with a better D-pad and a tiny touch screen (like 2x3 inch) in the middle to replace the guide, start, and back buttons. I just want it to be like a stat display/functionality screen, not used for the games like the Wii-U's is.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Timstuff

On the topic of the Xbox 360's D-pad, the problem is actually quite easy to fix. All you need is a torx screwdriver, scissors, and an empty cheez-it box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBZVN9t9ztE

I actually did this very same mod on the 360 controller I use for my PC, and it's extremely responsive now-- in fact, I'd say it might even be better than the PS3's stock D-pad! Shoryukens in SSFIV are almost impossible on a normal 360 controller, but after modding my 360's controller I was pulling 'em off like a pro.:cool:

It amazes me that such a small problem is so easy to fix, and yet instead of fixing the small problem, Microsoft decided to reinvent the D-pad and they didn't even fix the problem. :|

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Untitled1.png

My vision. :P

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#31 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

No touch/tablets and motion controls pls

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Nintendo's tablet controller is a gimmick. Don't need to see anything more about that.

Microsoft's controller is great, and if they could just improve the d-pad it would be perfect. I hope they keep it exactly the same otherwise. As for the Kinect, well, hopefully we don't have to use it at all.

Sony needs to give the Dualshock a serious redesign. The controller has remained almost entirely the same since the PS1, it's high time they made it more ergonomic.

Z-Fatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Z-Fatalis
Member since 2012 • 1058 Posts

All I want is another Dualshock no gimmicks, I buy a console to chill and play games not to wave my f*cking arms like an idiot

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

Get rid of gimmicks and stick with traditional controllers. End of the story.

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

I just want a 360 controller with a better D-pad and a tiny touch screen (like 2x3 inch) in the middle to replace the guide, start, and back buttons. I just want it to be like a stat display/functionality screen, not used for the games like the Wii-U's is.Plagueless

Tiny touch screen. :lol:

tumblrlx5p3sxfi51qjuv1s.gif

o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

Support for different controllers is surely the best route to go. I would have games mainly focusing on a decent controller like the dualshock or 360 controller, then have motion controllers like the move or wii u as an extra to work with a kinnect based system. Kinnect is cool for having non-controller input, but it simply lacks input so the actions taken by players is extremely limited.

I dont see how tablets can be of much use unless you really find the touch screen a major aid for something, I personally see it as a small advancement in gaming. It just allows users to touch the screen, which is literally just poking a piece of glass, thats all the feedback thats going on, and it requires a whole hand to do it, where as a conventional controller allows for multiple input for different things.

From this gen its been proved by ALL of the major developers that motion controlls are hard to implement in a decent way to give a good experince for most games.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Xbox 360 pad + PS3's battery and dpad and I'll be a happy camper :P
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
They can do whatever they want, but there MUST be an option for traditional control scheme, with buttons & stuffs. A small implemented screen is ok also.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 k2theswiss

Xbox controller needs wider triggers and internal battery and thats it

Dualshock obviously shouldn't have any major changes.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. srs

Masenkoe
Do not give my xbox internal battery with 2ft usb cable.... This what one of the things i hate about ps3 controller. If that controller dies your pretty screwed. you got two options. A: quit gaming for it to charge for sit 2ft away from your 40in t.v..... With xbox and my turtle beach headset can share the same type of batteries. Once a week or so i charge all 8 of my AA's and i swap it out in matter of seconds and keep on gaming wireless
Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

Modular gamepad. Like the patented Valve gamepad.

The-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 The-Gamer
Member since 2005 • 109 Posts

To be honest, I'd prefer traditional controllers: evolved versions of current ones. Such as the 360 controller with a better d-pad or the PS3 controller with better triggers.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

To be honest, I'd prefer traditional controllers: evolved versions of current ones. Such as the 360 controller with a better d-pad or the PS3 controller with better triggers.

The-Gamer

^^ This x9000

Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#43 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts
Bring back the N64 controller.
LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Just let everyone pick whatever option they prefer and let them play as many games as possible with that option without feeling like they are having a crippled experience. Nintendo nailed this idea with Mario Kart Wii and it became the best selling game of this entire generation (I'm not saying that was the only reason why it sold so much, but it certainly didn't hurt). Personally, I got used to motion controls in Mario Kart and now I feel weird when I play that game with an analog stick, but I also know I'm not having more fun than the person playing it with a Gamecube controller. That's the sweet spot that all companies should be aiming for.

Also, backwards compatibility is very important. Give people the option to use all those different controllers from previous consoles with your new console. This next generation is the right time to do this, given that Bluetooth will probably be the standard for a long time.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Bring back the N64 controller.Pittfan666

:|

You better be trolling, you better be *shakes fist*

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 nameless12345

Bring back the N64 controller.Pittfan666

+1

Ergonomic perfection it was :P

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Timstuff

[QUOTE="Pittfan666"]Bring back the N64 controller.AdobeArtist

FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU I hated that thing. One of the worst controllers EVER! :evil:

4503361700_3e1ae715b9.jpg

Seriously, who thought that Posiedon's trident was the ideal shape for an ergonomic human interface?

kznar.jpg

gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

I just hope Playstation makes a new contoller. Not that it's bad but I'm just ready for something new

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 nameless12345

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="Pittfan666"]Bring back the N64 controller.Timstuff

FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU I hated that thing. One of the worst controllers EVER! :evil:

4503361700_3e1ae715b9.jpg

Seriously, who thought that Posiedon's trident was the ideal shape for an ergonomic human interface?

kznar.jpg

Most games use just the centric-right position...

coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#50 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts
If it ain't broke don't fix it. I think they are fine just the way they are.