New in depth comparison between PS4 and x1 controllers

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8yv9VfbmLgI

Looks like Sony really knocked it out of the park with their improvements:) Looks like PS4 is the place to get your multiplats. Better visuals due to better GPU and RAM performance, better controller, and better interface. Mid-Late November can't get here soon enough. :)

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

Both controllers are a huge improvement over their predecessors

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

Last gen 360 controller > DS3

This gen DS4 > X1 controller

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

The xbox one controller wins.    Stop trying sage.   Rumble in dat trigger ontop of the best controller 

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sagemode87

R3FURBISHED

True, but unfortunately the x1 regressed in quality with the feel of the analog sticks. According to reviews, they're way too loose similar in feel to the DS3.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sagemode87

The xbox one controller wins.    Stop trying sage.   Rumble in dat trigger ontop of the best controller 

XBOunity

You're more than titled to your opinion but that's not what professional reviews seem to be saying. 

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

[QUOTE="R3FURBISHED"]

Sagemode87

True, but unfortunately the x1 regressed in quality with the feel of the analog sticks. According to reviews, they're way too loose similar in feel to the DS3.

I don't trust other peoples reviews of controllers because their hands are not the same as mine or yours or anyone elses.

The only legitimate gripes I see with the new controlers is:

Xbox One Controller

• Rechargeable battery is extra

PlayStation 4 Controller

• Features such as the Lightbar are useless without PS Eye
LA-Nighthawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LA-Nighthawk
Member since 2013 • 335 Posts

[QUOTE="XBOunity"]

Sagemode87

You're more than titled to your opinion but that's not what professional reviews seem to be saying. 

The guy in the video in the OP is about as far from a professional reviewer as you can get.
XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 XBOunity

[QUOTE="XBOunity"]

Sagemode87

Ok keep dreaming.  cows liked ds3 better than 360 controller lol.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sagemode87

[QUOTE="Sagemode87"]

[QUOTE="XBOunity"]

XBOunity

Sorry if you feel Xbox is always entitled to have the best of everything. Things will be easier if you just learn to live with the fact that PS4 will have a more critically acclaimed controller than x1. You can still enjoy your x1 pad. Cows enjoyed their DS3 while knowing 360's pad was more critically acclaimed. 

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
Seems like the thumbsticks are so much better this time around on the DS4. Thank Jebus for that. If any cows hate the 360 thumbsticks, looks like they're going to hate the DS4 thumbsticks. :P
tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5882 Posts
Nice to hear they both improved. Got to say its a personal thing deciding between the two and second to the games on the consoles.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
Member since 2013 • 2504 Posts

[QUOTE="Sagemode87"]

[QUOTE="XBOunity"]

XBOunity

ds3 wasnt better then xbox 360 controller not near it but DS4 looks the best this time around
CleanB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CleanB
Member since 2013 • 289 Posts

I guess the Xbox One controller's d pad still isn't up to par, that's disappointing.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
I liked the DS3....
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
I liked the DS3.... clyde46
Me too and Sony just improved it beyond my wildest expectations.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
[QUOTE="clyde46"]I liked the DS3.... Heil68

Maybe because I was born a Playstation baby.
Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts
so another person now says DS4 is better then xbone controller
GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

Just by looking at them, you could easily see the DS4 was always going to be better. The xbone controoler looks like a downgrade to me, but whatever I'm not bothering with the xbox brand anymore. 

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I really want a ds4, I might purchase one for PC use before I get a ps4.  I've heard so many promising things about it.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

XBOunity

based on?

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
Both look very well designed. It seems it will be hard for me to have a real preference this gen.
XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 XBOunity

[QUOTE="XBOunity"]

Sagemode87

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

An "in depth comparison" and "controllers" doesn't really go together

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

R3FURBISHED

The xbox one controller is not a huge improvement over the 360 one,and many people are saying it,MS invested 100 million and ruined the controllers,it would have been better just to change the color and plastic and leave the 360 setting untouch.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
I am honestly more interested in the Steam controller at this time.. The two controllers, though they look nice, still haven't addressed the fundamental flaws their predecessors had imo when it came to certain genres..
XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts
[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="clyde46"]I liked the DS3.... clyde46

Exactly. Some Playstation babies will never ever game on any other system because of that Christmas they had when they were 6 years old. Cows are by far the most loyal and it can be difficult to tell if they're trolling or not at times
Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Heil68"] Me too and Sony just improved it beyond my wildest expectations. XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Exactly. Some Playstation babies will never ever game on any other system because of that Christmas they had when they were 6 years old. Cows are by far the most loyal and it can be difficult to tell if they're trolling or not at times

We can't prefer the Dualshock now, somehow it means we don't game on other systems apparently.

NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts
A DICE head said they he preferred the the PS4 controller over the Xboxone. I have heard some praises for controllers that I just plain dislike. I will give it a first hand account.
XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 XxR3m1xInHDn3D

[QUOTE="XxR3m1xInHDn3D"][QUOTE="clyde46"] Maybe because I was born a Playstation baby. ReadingRainbow4

We can't prefer the Dualshock now, somehow it means we don't game on other systems apparently.

Cows prefer the DS1 (before analogs) to the 360 controller
Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

[QUOTE="XBOunity"]

Sagemode87

The only difference between a professional review and my personal opinion is the paycheck that comes with it. It doesnt make it more or less valid. My issue with professional reviews at the moment is the huge bias towards sony and their Playstation. Its too easy to slate the X1 and as a result of that the only opinion im trusting from now until launch is my own.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts

Base feel and functionality of both controllers seem fine from what I've seen and heard.

One's mostly about improving what wasn't broken. Seems it kind of does. Rumble triggers and that IR blasting motion tracking stuff are the big new things AFAIK. The first is something you really have to feel for yourself if it's any good or not. The latter is like the Kinect being used to emulate Sixaxis. Motion controls have never really...think I'll care about that as much as usual. Potentially neat but kind of...eh in practice. Oh instead of hitting a button I can raise the controller to raise my shield. That's....something.

DS4 definitely looks like an upgrade compared to its predecessor. Tries some newish things which may end up being useful, or not so much. Hope you'll be able to disable the lightbar. Games should be able to require it being on, but those that don't, I'd rather have it off to prevent potential glare on the screen. I don't really get the lightbar in general. What it could be/will be used for, beyond acting as a tracker for the camera. Seems like that's its main purpose to me.

The DS4 might be good for PC applications, depending on how well Sony will be supporting that avenue.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

[QUOTE="Sagemode87"]

[QUOTE="XBOunity"]

LA-Nighthawk

The guy in the video in the OP is about as far from a professional reviewer as you can get.

Blunty has a long established credibility for his hardware reviews. Not just for video game related, but even digital cameras (still shots and video). The only reason you attempt to discredit him (and fail at) is because he's saying something you don't want to hear.

As for the topic itself, I saw that MS seemed to really address the d-pad issue making this one a proper plus design. But I guess there may still be issues with accuracy. The face buttons are supposed to be more responsive (and I always liked the aesthetics of the "glass" look) and I do like the idea of feedback in the triggers as well as the grips.

Meanwhile Sony has made substantial improvement in their controller, the biggest leap in 3 generations. Proper triggers, better stick surface design (wish they went with the asymetrical layout) and from what I hear spaced slightly further apart, and more ergonomically contoured hand grips (this seems to take less notice with most people). I still wonder how devs will incorporate the touch pad.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

[QUOTE="R3FURBISHED"]

Sagemode87

many people are hating on the triggers too because they are so close is almost like a single piece and when pressing one you might actually press both at the same time.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

[QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"]

[QUOTE="XxR3m1xInHDn3D"] Exactly. Some Playstation babies will never ever game on any other system because of that Christmas they had when they were 6 years old. Cows are by far the most loyal and it can be difficult to tell if they're trolling or not at timesXxR3m1xInHDn3D

Cows prefer the DS1 (before analogs) to the 360 controller

Yeah... I don't think that is happening. Especially considering that wouldn't be the DS. The PS1 had the original controller, the dual analog, and then the DS.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 XxR3m1xInHDn3D

[QUOTE="Sagemode87"]

[QUOTE="R3FURBISHED"]

Gue1

many people are hating on the triggers too because they are so close is almost like a single piece and when pressing one you might actually press both at the same time.

I've heard someone hate the XB1 d-pad simply because they had to look at the controller to see where it was.
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Gue1

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

[QUOTE="Sagemode87"]

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

I've heard someone hate the XB1 d-pad simply because they had to look at the controller to see where it was.

I think  it was the same guy that said both comments and when you see the shoulder button placement is hard to argue against it

[spoiler] xbox-one-11.jpg [/spoiler]

CJ_ofCamelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 CJ_ofCamelot
Member since 2013 • 2072 Posts

[QUOTE="XxR3m1xInHDn3D"][QUOTE="Gue1"]

Gue1

I think  it was the same guy that said both comments and when you see the shoulder button placement is hard to argue against it

Look like dead skin cells to me.
XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Gue1

I have my index and middle fingers on each of the triggers and there is a clear gap inbetween them. I see no reason why anyone would have a problem with them (possibly for the first few hours of play at the most but I highly doubt it).
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Gue1

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

[QUOTE="XxR3m1xInHDn3D"] I've heard someone hate the XB1 d-pad simply because they had to look at the controller to see where it was. XxR3m1xInHDn3D

I have my index and middle fingers on each of the triggers and there is a clear gap inbetween them. I see no reason why anyone would have a problem with them (possibly for the first few hours of play at the most but I highly doubt it).

a clear gap... :roll:

img6860jpg-5ea6ba_610w.jpg

there is no gap. It's like a single piece that was cut with a knife.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Gue1

a clear gap... :roll:

img6860jpg-5ea6ba_610w.jpg

there is no gap. It's like a single piece that was cut with a knife.

You generally have your finger at the back of the trigger (where that mark/indent is) and the bumpers look fine. I seriously don't see how it could be a problem to anyone unless they use the same finger for both which is dumb
XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 XxR3m1xInHDn3D

[QUOTE="XxR3m1xInHDn3D"][QUOTE="kingoflife9"]

wow, that looks bad.  I see myself hitting the bumber and throwing a grenade when i intended to shoot with the trigger.  why the hell are they so close?  Mad Catz lol.

kingoflife9

Not sure if alt or mentally ill

butt-hurt?  i think so.  it looks like mad catz were commisioned to make the x1 controller.  thats what happens when your cheap.

I'm butthurt that someone could actually be this dumb
RoslindaleOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 RoslindaleOne
Member since 2006 • 7566 Posts
The Xbone controller is obviously better. Cows can keep making threads saying that the ps4 controller is better, but that doesn't make it true. It's designed to play games with the dpad. How many games solely use the dpad anymore? Pretty much just fighters and 2d games.