Naughty Dog Asked Activision to use Crash Bandicoot

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/07/12/naughty-dog-asked-activision-to-let-them-include-crash-bandicoot-in-fan-art-contest-got-denied/

Naughty Dog Asked Activision to Let them Include Crash Bandicoot in Fan Art Contest; Got Denied

Activion does not let Naughty Dog use Crash Bandicoot no matter what.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

Activision ain't afraid of Naughty Dogs.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Wow, Activision are a bunch of killjoys

Although, no idea what this has to do with system wars

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

professional assholes.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Activision sucks. Different day, same crappy company.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

Activision sucks. They need to sell the rights to ND now!!!!

Please...

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SolidTy

@summerparadise said:

Funny how everyone says Activision sucks and yet everyone in gamespot voted Call of Duty best FPS game of all time and it is still best selling games on PS4/Xbox One and PS3/Xbox 360

People hate activision and yet you everyone support Activision. Activision earns massive profit while all other video game companies has problem with earning money. People even donate free money to activision.

You are wrong. I don't support Activision at all. I haven't for many years.

F*** Call of Duty, F*** Skylanders, F*** Activision, and F*** Kotick.

Sure, I see around me that many others loves Activision's titles, but that doesn't affect me or my long standing boycott of their new products one bit. They don't get a dime from me. I've ranted about them back in 2009 and in the following years (especially their destruction of Infinity Ward), making giant threads about how shitty they were. Then I gave up talking about them here, but I still don't support Activision.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

@summerparadise said:

Funny how everyone says Activision sucks and yet everyone in gamespot voted Call of Duty best FPS game of all time and it is still best selling games on PS4/Xbox One and PS3/Xbox 360

People hate activision and yet you everyone support Activision. Activision earns massive profit while all other video game companies has problem with earning money. People even donate free money to activision.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Cheer up, ND - at least you're not Insomniac.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Why did ND sell the rights to Crash in the first place?

Where they struggling financially or were they just being greedy?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SolidTy
@drummerdave9099 said:

Why did ND sell the rights to Crash in the first place?

Where they struggling financially or were they just being greedy?

Sell? Greedy? You really don't know what you're talking about.

At one time, Naughty Dog were a young developer and they didn't sell the rights, they made a deal with Universal to create something new and they did just that. Universal gave them funds and ND used those funds to create Crash. It got ND started and Universal got a grade A game when Naughty Dog created from scratch, Crash Bandicoot. ND was independent. Universal treated them like shit (at one point they were making games in 100-130 degree heat with no AC, shirtless in the hallways as their computers would shut down due to the heat!) and they were very fortunate company to have Naughty Dog crank out four Crash games before finally breaking free of that slavery situation they found themselves in.

If you REALLY want to know Naughty's Dog's story, here's a link:

The Rise of Naughty Dog - Part 1

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-06-25-the-rise-of-naughty-dog-part-1

Rubin: Naughty Dog made the decision to not renew its deal with Universal Interactive. By the time that Crash 3 rolled around, Universal's role had shrunk to nothing. Sony was financing and publishing the games, and additionally providing valuable worldwide production advice. Mark Cerny, who started at Universal and was a large contributor to Crash's success, had become an independent contractor and continued to work with us. And, of course, Naughty Dog was doing the heavy lifting of developing the titles. Universal was simply being paid for the intellectual property rights.

Andy and I decided that we were not willing to split the developers' share of revenue with an entity which was contributing nothing to the mix, which was extremely difficult to work with, and which was actively trying to take credit for Crash's success. So, we announced that we were not renewing our contract and we were leaving the lot after Crash 3. At that point, Universal Interactive's management lost their minds.

We were forced to develop Crash 3 in the hallways of their offices. Although they still had a contract to give us office space, they decided to make our lives as miserable as possible. We were under extreme deadlines for a Christmas release, so we couldn't move the team in the middle of the project. We had to stay in those hallways until the game was done. Naughty Dog was working 16- to 20-hour days that year with no weekends. To make matters worse, Universal refused to pay for the air conditioning in their offices, and thus their hallways, after hours. Los Angeles summers, especially in the San Fernando Valley, are extremely hot. At night, and especially during the weekend, the heat on the thirty-fourth floor passed 100 degrees. This is not an exaggeration. We had to buy thermometers and measure the temperature constantly because the heat was affecting more than our comfort. Our servers were going down because the internal temperatures of the hard drives were going over 130 degrees. And the building wouldn't let us bring in portable airconditioning units, so we were forced to cool the servers by blowing air over a bucket of ice with a fan. That solved the problem until we managed to disguise an air-conditioning unit as a mini-refrigerator and sneak it in.I could tell endless tales of Universal Interactive's spite and contractual misbehavior that year

I could tell endless tales of Universal Interactive's spite and contractual misbehavior that year, but that's all history. They tried to break us. They couldn't. Although we all worked shirtless at desks in hallways that year, we got Crash 3 done. To put all of this in perspective, Crash 3 was guaranteed to make Universal hundreds of millions of dollars in profit. Yet, as a company, they didn't have the decency to accept our decision as independents to chart our own destiny. And they were vindictive enough to risk their financial windfall had their nonsense caused us to fail. If Universal had been more humane and reasonable, it is possible that Naughty Dog would still be making Crash products today.

The day Crash 3 was finished, Naughty Dog moved off the Universal lot and started work on a kart game. We didn't have characters attached then. The first versions had nondescript block-headed kart riders. Our relationship with Sony was always incredibly close. We offered to make the game based on Crash characters, if they dealt with Universal and obtained the rights. At that point, Naughty Dog couldn't even speak to Universal's management they were so... apoplectic. Sony managed to do so, and thus our first title after leaving Universal was a final Crash product: Crash Team Racing.

At the same time, Naughty Dog decided to start fresh. While most of Naughty Dog worked on Crash Team Racing, Andy, Stephen White, and Mark Cerny started working on a next-generation engine for what eventually became the PlayStation 2. Andy and I risked $4 million of Naughty Dog's cash into starting development of Jak and Daxter...

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SolidTy

@getyeryayasout said:

@SolidTy: I <3 your hatred of misinformation.

Ja, mein Freund...Education ftw.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

I bet Activision wanted like a $50 million payment

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

Activision and EA... run by fucking assholes.

After reading SolidTy's post about how ND had to endure a lot of BS, my respect for ND has increased even more.

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#19  Edited By carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts

Well ya know, Activision saved Crash Bandicoot from being an awesome platformer so it's only fair Activision gives the F U to you ND.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#20 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

They're probably gonna include Crash in Skylanders.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#21  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Well done Activision

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

after like what? 3 or 4 years and it STILL hasn't happened? Nah, they are just lazy douchebags who want a great IP to stay dead.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Off topic: You have notice that they dropped the name "Spyro" in the Skylanders series after the first game came out, right?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

They are like patent trolls... IP trolls. Buy the IP, don't do anything with it, and then ask loads of money if someone else wants to use it.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@PsychoLemons said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Off topic: You have notice that they dropped the name "Spyro" in the Skylanders series after the first game came out, right?

Yeah, but Spyro is still a character in the Skylanders series.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@summerparadise said:

for real? When?

wow

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Thank you Activision for keeping Sony from reviving ANOTHER crappy franchise. Maybe now they can do something new instead of milking people's nostalgia for bad games.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SolidTy

@fend_oblivion said:

After reading SolidTy's post about how ND had to endure a lot of BS, my respect for ND has increased even more.

Thank you for the shout-out, sir.

When I was writing and digging that ND material up to answer the other poster, I was hoping that at least a few posters would enjoy the effort I made.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

That's business. ND wouldn't let someone else work with their property either.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

@SolidTy said:

@fend_oblivion said:

Thank you sir, for the shout-out.

When I was writing and digging that ND material up to answer the other poster, I was hoping that at least a few posters would enjoy that effort I made.

You're welcome :)

I still can't believe that they'd make ND work in bloody corridors in the blistering heat. ND had to sneak in an AC in the form of a fridge. I don't know which is worse - this or the treatment that ruined Team Bondi.

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

And the worst part is Activision doesn't give a shit about CB.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#37 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

Supposedly Naughty Dog did get Crash back, what then? Can they make another Crash game in the same vein as the PS1 gen?

Or will we see fanboys complaining that Crash is now full of cinematics and bad plot?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mems_1224

@scottpsfan14 said:
@mems_1224 said:

Thank you Activision for keeping Sony from reviving ANOTHER crappy franchise. Maybe now they can do something new instead of milking people's nostalgia for bad games.

You are just terrible. Tell me, is Halo so far beyond anything Sony have ever made? Is Xbox games so much better?

Halo is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than anything Sony has ever put out. Its not even close.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#39 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

Get out. You're no longer welcome here.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40  Edited By Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

How lame, it was a big part of that 30 years.

bublover1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bublover1
Member since 2013 • 133 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@mems_1224 said:

You are just terrible. Tell me, is Halo so far beyond anything Sony have ever made? Is Xbox games so much better?

Halo is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than anything Sony has ever put out. Its not even close.

Halo is a game for children who think being a "super soldier destined to save the universe" is cool and totally not cringeworthy. It's like a fully-grown man being interested in power rangers. Grow the f*ck up and enjoy some mature SONY exclusives like The Last of Us.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@mems_1224 said:

That's like just your opinion man.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mems_1224

@LJS9502_basic said:

@mems_1224 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@mems_1224 said:

That's like just your opinion man.

Thanks captain obvious....

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#45  Edited By deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

@summerparadise said:

I hate comments like that. Do you really think the same people that love Activision are the same that hate it??????????

D4RKL1NG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 D4RKL1NG
Member since 2012 • 290 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

Lol m(L)ems_1224 post

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@bublover1 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@mems_1224 said:

Halo is a game for children who think being a "super soldier destined to save the universe" is cool and totally not cringeworthy. It's like a fully-grown man being interested in power rangers. Grow the f*ck up and enjoy some mature SONY exclusives like The Last of Us.

A super-solder that can't sprint. LOL.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

@bublover1 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@mems_1224 said:

I saw this quote posted on here the other day I think, and I'm not sure if you are using sarcasm or not.. but here ges..

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

There ya go..

DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

Activision big whigs are a bunch of scumbags. I understand they have Spyro trapped using him for Skylanders cash but at least set Crash Bandicoot free. If you're not going to use the property then at least allow Sony to find a developer to use him. Ugh.