Motion Sensing = GIMMICK

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Nemacyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 The_Nemacyst
Member since 2007 • 1388 Posts

Do you need it? No.

Does it make games better? No.

Motion Sensing is a gimmick. You don't need it. It's like the HD-DVD Add on for the XBox360.. Worthless (in the bad way)

I'll give you an example. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

You don't need motion sensing. Once you forget about the movements that you have to do, you will probably so immersed inside the game you forgot all about it.

You can play LoZ:TP on the Gamecube, and have the same experience.

For non-wii owners, I'll explain it this way. When you first played a new game with entirely different controls then you are used to, you fidget on the controls a bunch, and you seem to always think of what button to press. But later on, once you have gotten use to it, it flows freely and you have forgotten all about the controls/movements that you have to do with your fingers. Same for the Wiimote. You will get use to it.

But does it create a new genre of games? = Yes.

I believe the only argument the sheep have with this motionsensing stuff is that it creates different genre's of games.. But no one cares about these games anyways, and they aren't better then the classic games like MGS, Halo, WC:3.

These games I am talking about is games such as :WarioWare, CookingMama, Trauma Center. These games are in a different category exclusively for motionsensing, but who really cares about them anyways? They suck.

So do we really need Motion Sensing? No.

Unless you want to play games like Cooking Mama, then fine.

16bitkevin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 16bitkevin
Member since 2005 • 3962 Posts
MGS4 isn't a classic game. It's not even out yet.
The_Nemacyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 The_Nemacyst
MGS4 isn't a classic game. It's not even out yet.16bitkevin
Meant MGS series sorry.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#5 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

the motion is alot of fun. trauma centre is great, and couldn't be done on any other console. the controls are awsome in zelda too

hazbazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 hazbazz
Member since 2005 • 7709 Posts
Just got a sudden sense of de-ja-vu...
imothissucks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 imothissucks
Member since 2006 • 1126 Posts
this topic=GIMMICK

edit: stargate sucks
The_Nemacyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 The_Nemacyst
[QUOTE="The_Nemacyst"]

classic games like MGS4, Halo, WC:3.BuryMe

how are unreleased games classics?

and themotion is alot of fun. trauma centre is great, and couldn't be done on any other console. the controls are awsome in zelda too

Played Zelda, and I really fought it was normal. When you were in the middle of the game, did you really care for the motion sensing anymore? I am not dissing Zelda, I am dissing Motion Sensing. It was really uneeded in that game, I am sure you still would have had a 10/10 experience without Motion Sensing.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

Do you need it? No.

Motion Sensing is a gimmick. You don't need it. It's like the HD-DVD Add on for the XBox360.. Worthless (in the bad way)

You don't need motion sensing. Once you forget about the movements that you have to do, you will probably so immersed inside the game you forgot all about it.

For non-wii owners, I'll explain it this way. When you first played a new game with entirely different controls then you are used to, you fidget on the controls a bunch, and you seem to always think of what button to press. But later on, once you have gotten use to it, it flows freely and you have forgotten all about the controls/movements that you have to do with your fingers. Same for the Wiimote. You will get use to it.

I believe the only argument the sheep have with this motionsensing stuff is that it creates different genre's of games.. But no one cares about these games anyways, and they aren't better then the classic games like MGS, Halo, WC:3.

These games I am talking about is games such as :WarioWare, CookingMama, Trauma Center. These games are in a different category exclusively for motionsensing, but who really cares about them anyways? They suck.

The_Nemacyst
100% correct. Motion adds nothing to gaming. Its a waste of time and money.
The_Nemacyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 The_Nemacyst

the motion is alot of fun. trauma centre is great, and couldn't be done on any other console. the controls are awsome in zelda too

BuryMe
I agree partially. Motion Sensing = for that types of games. But I disagree with the other one, Zelda controls arent that good.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f6dd6241fdcc
deactivated-5f6dd6241fdcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5f6dd6241fdcc
Member since 2003 • 6249 Posts
Hahaha NO. :|
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#12 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
[QUOTE="BuryMe"][QUOTE="The_Nemacyst"]

classic games like MGS4, Halo, WC:3.The_Nemacyst

how are unreleased games classics?

and themotion is alot of fun. trauma centre is great, and couldn't be done on any other console. the controls are awsome in zelda too

Played Zelda, and I really fought it was normal. When you were in the middle of the game, did you really care for the motion sensing anymore? I am not dissing Zelda, I am dissing Motion Sensing. It was really uneeded in that game, I am sure you still would have had a 10/10 experience without Motion Sensing.

no, i really did like the motion controls. made the combat more exciting
voxware00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 voxware00
Member since 2004 • 5018 Posts
it has the potenital to improve some genres
madden for example, a tired franchise, has the ability to have something new added to it
could it have the potenital for a disaster, definately
what did gamespot say though... " Tons of motion-controlled moves that are responsive and intuitive; the new minigames are a blast with four players"
look at wiisports.. and thats .1 lower than motorstorm ..

clearly its aimed as a party console to.. which these games serve for
you cant play all of your games with most of your friends.. chances are there will be skill disadvantages.... things more like wii sports or minigames have the ability to most people to be on more of an equal level.. trust me, my mom beats my entire family in wii bowling
its different, but not completely unneccessary... even with all the power we "need" to make a good game.. sonic on 360/ps3 still scores lower than the wii version
what we need is creativity.. some rely on graphics or certain content such as violence or licenses
others are relying too much on just focusing on short party games
iunderstand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 iunderstand
Member since 2006 • 3201 Posts
I find it amusing how you need to put so much thought into what is considered "fun" for you. Why don't you just sit down and actually play it then decide rather then going off on long pointless rants?
The_Nemacyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 The_Nemacyst
I find it amusing how you need to put so much thought into what is considered "fun" for you. Why don't you just sit down and actually play it then decide rather then going off on long pointless rants?iunderstand
Maybe because I did play it? It was fun. But it was exactly the same fun I can get from a normal controller experience. When you assume, you make an "ass" out of "u" and "me"
samusarmada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 samusarmada
Member since 2005 • 5816 Posts
[QUOTE="BuryMe"]

The_Nemacyst
I agree partially. Motion Sensing = for that types of games. But I disagree with the other one, Zelda controls arent that good.

well, they added the motion controls fairly late into the game though didnt they. I mean sword slashing was still a button press at E3 06 (or 05 cant remember if 05 had the wii games playable) Point being I doubt they would have wanted to go flat out with motion sensing in zelda with only a year or so of development tim eleft.
danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 danneswegman
Member since 2005 • 12937 Posts
only a gimmick to those who suck at it. It's the future of gaming.
OGTiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 OGTiago
Member since 2005 • 6546 Posts
HD graphics = GIMMICK does it make the game better? no. *eats mario mushroom*
Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts

Wii will be fun when games actually worth playing are released on it :|

^.^ Mario mushroom is a gimmick ^.^

weisguy119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 weisguy119
Member since 2006 • 3393 Posts
Motion sensing really doesn't do much for Zelda, but it does work tremendously for Wii Sports, Madden 2007 and Rayman Raving Rabbids.  In fact, it does more for me than better graphics do.  While better graphics are just a part of video game evolution, motion sensing created an entirely new branch along that evolutionary trail.  We forgot about joysticks when gamepads came along.  The same will happen with gamepads.  They'll be replaced with motion sensing controllers.  I fought the joystick to gamepad evolution, but evetually accepted it.  I freely accept the motion sensing controllers.  Change isn't always easy to accept, but it is inevitable.
The_Nemacyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 The_Nemacyst
only a gimmick to those who suck at it. It's the future of gaming.danneswegman
When Wii games get 10/10 actually have more GAMEPLAY then PS3/Xbox360 games.. Call me in. But the last time I checked, games on the XBox360 have 9/10 on the gameplay, and no wii have has gotten a 10/10 for gameplay. I doubt it will.
Zaistev_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Zaistev_basic
Member since 2002 • 2975 Posts
[QUOTE="iunderstand"]I find it amusing how you need to put so much thought into what is considered "fun" for you. Why don't you just sit down and actually play it then decide rather then going off on long pointless rants?The_Nemacyst
Maybe because I did play it? It was fun. But it was exactly the same fun I can get from a normal controller experience. When you assume, you make an "ass" out of "u" and "me"

I can see that you are a hardcore gamer. Fun, in the hardcore gamer's point of view is about the enchancement of graphics, physics, and perhaps online, then gameplay next. Well, GTA3 and it's series have bad graphics compare to a lot of games but it brought a new kind of gameplay. Nevertheless, the Wii success and the speed of its sales proved that "fun" is different in their point of view than yours; and they are casuals and non-gamers.
The_Nemacyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 The_Nemacyst
[QUOTE="The_Nemacyst"][QUOTE="iunderstand"]I find it amusing how you need to put so much thought into what is considered "fun" for you. Why don't you just sit down and actually play it then decide rather then going off on long pointless rants?Zaistev_basic

I can see that you are a hardcore gamer. Fun, in the hardcore gamer's point of view is about the enchancement of graphics, physics, and perhaps online, then gameplay next. Well, GTA3 and it's series have bad graphics compare to a lot of games but it brought a new kind of gameplay. Nevertheless, the Wii success and the speed of its sales proved that "fun" is different in their point of view than yours; and they are casuals and non-gamers.

I believe new superb gameplay in games, takes a lot more than a controller to do.
y2kzorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 y2kzorak
Member since 2006 • 381 Posts

*AHEM* You know, the Wii isn't the only system that has a motion-sensing controller... It may only be tilt, but tilt is a motion too. What does that make the PS3, the Sixaxis, and any games that use that functionality, huh?

iunderstand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 iunderstand
Member since 2006 • 3201 Posts
[QUOTE="iunderstand"]I find it amusing how you need to put so much thought into what is considered "fun" for you. Why don't you just sit down and actually play it then decide rather then going off on long pointless rants?The_Nemacyst

Well, I disagree on it's the exact same fun you get from a normal controller experience. That doesn't necessarily mean either one of us is right or wrong, it just means you value the on screen immersion more then the control whereas I'm the opposite.
Zaistev_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Zaistev_basic
[QUOTE="danneswegman"]only a gimmick to those who suck at it. It's the future of gaming.The_Nemacyst
When Wii games get 10/10 actually have more GAMEPLAY then PS3/Xbox360 games.. Call me in. But the last time I checked, games on the XBox360 have 9/10 on the gameplay, and no wii have has gotten a 10/10 for gameplay. I doubt it will.

AS the Valve said , and other developers, they are took by surprise, same with the editors, they don't know what to expect. They got used to rating graphics high that affect their review (IGN).Wi is such a different league that even editors are becoming bias to review it because they are mostly hardcore gamers. Have you seen how much FPS games been reviewed by Gamespot and others except in Japan.
The_Nemacyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 The_Nemacyst
[QUOTE="OGTiago"]HD graphics = GIMMICK does it make the game better? no. *eats mario mushroom*

Except the fact that you can see things clearer, and so thus in RPG games you can be more immersed as if you were watching a movie. Let's see raw power, does a lot more than "HD Graphics" Physics, Draw Distance, AI majorly effect gameplay.
The_Nemacyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 The_Nemacyst

*AHEM* You know, the Wii isn't the only system that has a motion-sensing controller... It may only be tilt, but tilt is a motion too. What does that make the PS3, the Sixaxis, and any games that use that functionality, huh?

y2kzorak
The PS3 controller is a gimmick. This time im not dissing the Motion Sensing.
Zaistev_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zaistev_basic
[QUOTE="Zaistev_basic"][QUOTE="The_Nemacyst"][QUOTE="iunderstand"]I find it amusing how you need to put so much thought into what is considered "fun" for you. Why don't you just sit down and actually play it then decide rather then going off on long pointless rants?The_Nemacyst

I believe new superb gameplay in games, takes a lot more than a controller to do.

True, but same case can be said to graphics. Gaming 101, as it is true to NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, that gameplay is more important than graphics.
Zaistev_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Zaistev_basic
[QUOTE="The_Nemacyst"][QUOTE="OGTiago"]HD graphics = GIMMICK does it make the game better? no. *eats mario mushroom*

Except the fact that you can see things clearer, and so thus in RPG games you can be more immersed as if you were watching a movie. Let's see raw power, does a lot more than "HD Graphics" Physics, Draw Distance, AI majorly effect gameplay.

Then again, you are putting more emphasis to enviroments and photorealism, which only parrt of the graphic department. Remember, Graphics is just 1/5 of what makes the game great as proven by reviews.
The_Nemacyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 The_Nemacyst

If you guys want to see an example of good gameplay, from the GAME.

Go see God of War.

laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts
[QUOTE="BuryMe"]

The_Nemacyst

I thought they were awesome and definitly added something to the game. one of my friends has the GC version. and we booth agree the controls on the wii are more fun. especially with the bow and spin attack, the controls make a huge difference there IMO.
StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

Do you need it? No.

The_Nemacyst

Do you need it? More then you think, specially this generation.

Does it make games better? Yes. I really could not image playing Wiisports without it.

One less reason to be considered a gimmick then? Also, think outside the box. Do you really think those are the only new genres the Wiimote could actually create? Quite a bold statement considering the console doens't even have 1 year of age, this becomes even more truthful specially when you talk about a new input in video games.

I have to disagree with someone that says that a certain thing is useless when developers haven't even started  exploring the possibilities such an input could provide

Zaistev_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Zaistev_basic

If you guys want to see an example of good gameplay, from the GAME.

Go see God of War.

The_Nemacyst
I have a PS2, I like God of War. I am a hardcore gamer but also like Wii and I have a Wii60. God of War 2 has a good gameplay with good graphic but uncomparable to XBox. The gameplay of the God of War is not basely on graphics but rather on gameplay itself and the story. God of War also demonstrates the limits of PS2 but still it's gameplay makes up for it that why it is rated higher. Gameplay will never = Graphics. It just enchanced the gameplay but controls is a big part of gameplay. Some developer but I forgot who said it said that Wii is becoming like a mouse on the computer while other consoles still only has keyboard. Remember, a lot naysayers who are computer specialists before resisted the mouse during early 1990s, but consumer demand proved those computer analyst wrong.
camzaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 camzaman
Member since 2005 • 2124 Posts
If you'd even played it, you'd know it TP Wii was better than GC for controls, and widescreen proscan support. And it does make games more fun, but only if used in the right way.
Axel_rocks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36 Axel_rocks14
Member since 2007 • 780 Posts
Do you need it? No
Is it fun as hell? Yes
Synchro456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 Synchro456
Member since 2005 • 8359 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Nemacyst"][QUOTE="OGTiago"]HD graphics = GIMMICK does it make the game better? no. *eats mario mushroom*

Yes but I buy gaming consoles to play games not watch them. Physics, Draw Distance and Al do effect gameplay but motion sensing effects gameplay more. Just look at Elebits it has great physics and yet still uses the motion sensing.
HeedleGlavin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#38 HeedleGlavin
Member since 2005 • 15373 Posts
Gimmick.... an innovative mechanical contrivance. To the TC: Congrats on reviving a tired argument that wore itself out a year ago.
luigigreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#39 luigigreen
Member since 2005 • 4888 Posts
Good thing you've given the time to wait for good games to come out that use the wii controls and that enhance the gameplay. Oh wait....
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
Shiny HD graphics is a Gimmick IN MY OPINION.
Avatar image for slothboyadvance
slothboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 slothboyadvance
Member since 2003 • 12596 Posts
I enjoy the controls. They're fresh and fun.
SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts
this topic=GIMMICK

imothissucks
what are you talking about? the tc has valid points, and stargate rules
JLei2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 JLei2k
Member since 2007 • 817 Posts
Zelda's motion sensing worked quite well and blended seemlessly with the gameplay. I sure hope other games of that genre have wiimote usage as good as Zelda did.
SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts
Shiny HD graphics is a Gimmick IN MY OPINION. tocool340
....really? thats a big surprise.......
Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#45 Pangster007
Member since 2004 • 4426 Posts
Stating your opinions as facts FTL
renger6002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 renger6002
Member since 2004 • 4481 Posts
no one said it has to stay new for yers, your supposed to get to get used to it. LoZ IS a gamecube game, and the amount of immersion I get while playing SSX Blur for example, is entirely diferent from the immersion I get from playing SSX Tricky, in a good way.
Avatar image for Hungry_Homer111
Hungry_Homer111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#47 Hungry_Homer111
Member since 2005 • 22479 Posts
You are wrong. Trauma Center is a game that couldn't be done on the PS3 or 360, or any older consoles. There will be more games like this which can't be done on other consoles, once 3rd party companies decide to take advantage of it. And Nintendo seems to be doing a good job at changing Mario to fit the motion sensor controller in a way that fits the series, but couldn't be done before. Twilight Princess is a great game, and even though it doesn't do anything that you couldn't do before, it does a good job at showing how you can take a regular game and make it better with the Wiimote. You said that after a while using the controller in the game that you didn't care for it anymore. I disagree. I did get used to it enough so that the newness of it wore off, but it was a lot better aiming with the Wiimote, and I would not want to go back to the way it was before. Also, the swordfighting, although not 1 to 1, was really good at getting me into the game more than I have gotten into a game before. I would hate to go and play the Gamecube version of TP after playing it. And if you think that it's bad, then you probably won't be a gamer for too much longer. Sony ripped it off with sixaxis, and Microsoft will probably take the idea next generation, if not sooner.
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
this topic=GIMMICK

imothissucks
Stargate is awesome. Atlantis does suck, however.
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
According to your description, know what else is a gimmick? Analog sticks. And rumble. And the D-Pad.
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
You pretty much stating that back in the day when rumble was new, it was not needed yet today's standard it becomes an important part of gaming. Yes, it was not needed, alot of the changes today were not really needed, but they become something important to us. Experiementing is great because it sets new boundary and new ideas that may not be truely needed but could cause a greater effect in things kick in for that particular focus. Now after the time of that idea, Rumble is a important factor in gaming. Be like saying HD isn't needed, and its not, but what comes out it may alter and become something in gens ahead, same with Motion Sensoring. New ideas fresh gaming, keep them coming.