Motion Sensing = GIMMICK

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 project343
Member since 2005 • 14106 Posts
.... unless it's used properly.
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#52 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
They added something to me. Pointer plus Bows and Arrows= Headshots galor and precision not found with analog. Motion controls were nice, made the battles, especially Boss fights, more fun and was a refreshing approach tot he genre. Eji Aonuma said the next Zelda will take it further, cause this one was just a GC game with motion buttons. That's basically it, but Wii Zelda will rock. :D
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#53 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
They added something to me. Pointer plus Bows and Arrows= Headshots galor and precision not found with analog. Motion controls were nice, made the battles, especially Boss fights, more fun and was a refreshing approach tot he genre. Eji Aonuma said the next Zelda will take it further, cause this one was just a GC game with motion buttons. That's basically it, but Wii Zelda will rock. :Dyoshi_64
I know what you mean. I stood up during the last boss fight in TP. And though my long range accuracy with the bow has gone down a bit (in MM I could have hit the pole on the watch tower without any difficulty) I'm much better at hitting moving targets.
GanonBuRAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54 GanonBuRAP
Member since 2007 • 1463 Posts
Motion sensing is the future of gaming. 360 and ps3 are rehashing xbox and ps2 games, but with shinier graphics! yay! the wii is the only console to move in a new direction, and the sales are proof enough that people love it. That aside, look at how amazing mini-game type games are doing...warioware, rayman, and so forth. It's pretty insane thats not all though...the wii isn't a kiddy system or casual gaming system. The wii just started. We got some massive titles coming our way. We HAD zelda tp, and we still have ssbb, no more heroes, day of crisis, godfather, metroid prime 3, and no doubt once E3 comes rollin around this year, there are gonna be a truck load of games for serious gamers. and the motion controls will be there to make it that much better.
GanonBuRAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 GanonBuRAP
the wii isn't a gimmick. it's a console, and it's kickin major ass.
The_Nemacyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56 The_Nemacyst
Member since 2007 • 1388 Posts
the wii isn't a gimmick. it's a console, and it's kickin major ass.GanonBuRAP
I said motion sensing is a gimmick. The Wii can be a good console, if it has GOOD GAMES.
MrPinktc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 MrPinktc
Member since 2003 • 872 Posts
[QUOTE="GanonBuRAP"]the wii isn't a gimmick. it's a console, and it's kickin major ass.The_Nemacyst
I said motion sensing is a gimmick. The Wii can be a good console, if it has GOOD GAMES.

Good luck man....60 sheep just came in and they look hungry.
The_Nemacyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 The_Nemacyst
[QUOTE="The_Nemacyst"][QUOTE="GanonBuRAP"]the wii isn't a gimmick. it's a console, and it's kickin major ass.MrPinktc

Haha, I don't care. I always own them, and they can't own me. Because I don't like any consoles/pc's.
GanonBuRAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 GanonBuRAP
[QUOTE="MrPinktc"][QUOTE="The_Nemacyst"][QUOTE="GanonBuRAP"]the wii isn't a gimmick. it's a console, and it's kickin major ass.The_Nemacyst

Haha, I don't care. I always own them, and they can't own me. Because I don't like any consoles/pc's.

Then why are you here
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
[QUOTE="MrPinktc"][QUOTE="The_Nemacyst"][QUOTE="GanonBuRAP"]the wii isn't a gimmick. it's a console, and it's kickin major ass.The_Nemacyst

Well that's certainly one arrogant and most importantly, retarded statement ever. Cause you don't like any consoles or PCs? Well then, why the hell are you on a GAMING forum? :| As for that, the Wii has good games, and since it's SW, a 7.0+ equals "good" and the Wii has many.
taker42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 taker42
Member since 2007 • 1614 Posts

You don't like gaming?
Idonomeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Idonomeus
Member since 2006 • 2273 Posts
I liked them at first. Then the novelty wore off and I realised just how limited and unaccurate they were as a control method.
MrPinktc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 MrPinktc
Member since 2003 • 872 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Nemacyst"][QUOTE="MrPinktc"][QUOTE="The_Nemacyst"][QUOTE="GanonBuRAP"]the wii isn't a gimmick. it's a console, and it's kickin major ass.taker42

You don't like gaming?

I think he means he is not a fanboy of any console like me I just defend the PS3 more because it gets too much hate. XBL is a rip off though XD
GanonBuRAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 GanonBuRAP
Lol i don't think The_Nemacyst will be replying. "I can't be owned because I hate everything ahahha im so fulfilled." rofl get the hell off of SW
Avatar image for machitocaliente
machitocaliente

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 machitocaliente
Member since 2007 • 832 Posts
TEARS. IT DSNT MATER IF YOU NEED THEM, A LOT OF PEOPLE HATE RETRO GAMEPADS. ITS A STEP IN THE WRIGHT DIRECTION. YOU ARE LIVING IN THE PAST. MY FRIEND
Avatar image for blackpretttyboy
blackpretttyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 blackpretttyboy
Member since 2006 • 1275 Posts
i agree 100%
The_Nemacyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 The_Nemacyst
[QUOTE="The_Nemacyst"][QUOTE="MrPinktc"][QUOTE="The_Nemacyst"][QUOTE="GanonBuRAP"]the wii isn't a gimmick. it's a console, and it's kickin major ass.yoshi_64

Well that's certainly one arrogant and most importantly, retarded statement ever. Cause you don't like any consoles or PCs? Well then, why the hell are you on a GAMING forum? :| As for that, the Wii has good games, and since it's SW, a 7.0+ equals "good" and the Wii has many.

I love gaming, just I don't find any particular console "great" Games are great, just not the consoles.
The_Nemacyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 The_Nemacyst
Anyways, if you look at my threads, you'll find out that I bash every console out there... But you will also find out that I will never ever bash honorable games such as: Halo, WC3, Diablo, GTA, GoW, GeoW etc..
fartgorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 fartgorilla
Member since 2005 • 785 Posts
A controller is a controller...tell me why I can't make the exact same argument against analog sticks or a m/kb.
-supercharged-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#70 -supercharged-
Member since 2006 • 5820 Posts
Motion sensing brings alot to gameplay
Avatar image for blackpretttyboy
blackpretttyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 blackpretttyboy
Member since 2006 • 1275 Posts
Motion sensing brings alot to gameplay-supercharged-
ok all games bring alot of gameplay . what u are saying is not so smart
flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#72 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts
[QUOTE="-supercharged-"]Motion sensing brings alot to gameplayblackpretttyboy
ok all games bring alot of gameplay . what u are saying is not so smart

He said 'Motion sensing brings alot TO gameplay' not 'bring alot OF gameplay.' Your comprehensive skills are not so smart.
Metrovania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Metrovania
Member since 2003 • 2540 Posts
You're forgetting the fact that certain games are getting things done to them thanks to the controller that would simply be impossible on the other current gen consoles. The Wii-mote is great, not because it maps button presses to motions, but because it allows greater control over the game. There are only so many combinations of buttons that can be intuitively used to add control over the character and the game world; whereas with the Wii-mote you can map very complex moves that simply couldn't be done on a regular controller to a simple gesture. Look at MP3 and it's grapple beam - I'd imagine it would be rather unintuitive to implement the beam as a weapon with a regular controller since every button on the GC controller was used in the first 2 MP games; on the Wii however, a simple flick of the nunchuk and a whole new play mechanic is born!! The Wii-mote also allows a whole new level of interactivity and multi-tasking to the game world. Look at SMG, for example: there you can do every move you ever could in a Mario game (plus a few new moves courtesy of the nunchuk) while simultaneously interacting with the environment with the Wii-mote pointer function. This would simply be impossible to d with a regular control. Even 3rd parties are beginning to use the Wii-mote to add things to ports than weren't in the original game. For example MoH:V on the Wii has every single move that can be done on the PS2 version, plus the addition of 180 degree spin thanks to the nunchuk. True, this game probably won't be particularly good, but this is an example of motion sensing not simply being used to replace a button command; but to add greater control over the character. Almost every game that has come out this gen could be done on the Wii. It's true that Oblivion would need graphics more on par with Elder Scrolls III, but the gameplay could basically make the move untouched. GeoW could be done with roughly Chronicles of Riddick-level graphics (given a dedicated developer) and no real gameplay downgrade. However, MP3 and SMG simply could not intuitively be done on the 360/PS3. In both cases the gameplay would need to be altered significantly in order to bring them to the other current-gen consoles. At least that's the way I see it.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#74 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
Do you need it? No. you don't need HD either right? or blu-ray, or analog, or rumble, or graphics. we can still play board games or the nes. Does it make games better? Yes. would wii sports be as fun if you used buttons? how about Rayman? No they wouldn't, thus the wiimote made them better.
Sinheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Sinheart
Member since 2003 • 1705 Posts
buttons are a gimmick you don't need them in wii sports tennis, boxing or baseball
flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts
I dont know why game companies just don't abandon controllers and pack keyboards. You can do everything with a keyboard.
Metrovania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Metrovania
Member since 2003 • 2540 Posts
I dont know why game companies just don't abandon controllers and pack keyboards. You can do everything with a keyboard.flazzle
They are useless for platformers, fighters and racers.
chrisdojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#78 chrisdojo
Member since 2005 • 5065 Posts
COMPLETE motion sensing (as on the wii) is not a gimick. it's a new way to play games. now, if you are talking about the sixaxis that has partial motion sensing, now you're talking gimicks.
TNT_Slug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 TNT_Slug
Member since 2007 • 1735 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Nemacyst"][QUOTE="OGTiago"]HD graphics = GIMMICK does it make the game better? no. *eats mario mushroom*

Except the fact that you can see things clearer, and so thus in RPG games you can be more immersed as if you were watching a movie. Let's see raw power, does a lot more than "HD Graphics" Physics, Draw Distance, AI majorly effect gameplay.

That's hypocrisy. Halo fanboys, a.k.a. typical gfx whores, did pretty much enjoy reading the Halo novels, even though they have, guess what, zero graphics power. Immersion doesn't require graphics at all.
UDA1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 UDA1983
Member since 2005 • 859 Posts
I agree with what you trying to say about after a while you don't realize what kind of controls you're using... But then again that can be said about Graphics too, once you start playing and old game for a while you start to forget you playing a game with out-dated visuals and just enjoy the game. In the end the things that REALLY MATTER are Gameplay which although It doesn't depend too much on what kind of controller you're using, the actual controller can "limit" what kind of gameplay is possible... Sound plays another huge rol, although some people might not take this into consideration it really immerses you into the game and can make you feel certain was depending on the plot. And at last the plot or story, although not as important in some games, a good story REALLY HELPS and can make the game even more memorable...
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#81 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
[QUOTE="GanonBuRAP"]the wii isn't a gimmick. it's a console, and it's kickin major ass.The_Nemacyst

Which it does, and nothing you say is going to change that. If just don't happen to like them, then don't buy any.
OhhSnap50893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#82 OhhSnap50893
Member since 2006 • 27110 Posts
Going by that theory you don't 'need' HD either. So let's go back to playing our NES's, shall we? And while TP may not need motion sensing, Wii Sports would be just another sports game without it. With motion sensing, Wii Sports is one of the best Wii titles out right now.
OhhSnap50893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#83 OhhSnap50893
Member since 2006 • 27110 Posts
Oh, and if Warioware sucked then how come it got AAA? Buh, buh, teh bias! ... no.
Jrob2k8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Jrob2k8
Member since 2007 • 315 Posts

Do you need it? No.

Does it make games better? No.

Motion Sensing is a gimmick. You don't need it. It's like the HD-DVD Add on for the XBox360.. Worthless (in the bad way)

I'll give you an example. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

You don't need motion sensing. Once you forget about the movements that you have to do, you will probably so immersed inside the game you forgot all about it.

You can play LoZ:TP on the Gamecube, and have the same experience.

For non-wii owners, I'll explain it this way. When you first played a new game with entirely different controls then you are used to, you fidget on the controls a bunch, and you seem to always think of what button to press. But later on, once you have gotten use to it, it flows freely and you have forgotten all about the controls/movements that you have to do with your fingers. Same for the Wiimote. You will get use to it.

But does it create a new genre of games? = Yes.

I believe the only argument the sheep have with this motionsensing stuff is that it creates different genre's of games.. But no one cares about these games anyways, and they aren't better then the classic games like MGS, Halo, WC:3.

These games I am talking about is games such as :WarioWare, CookingMama, Trauma Center. These games are in a different category exclusively for motionsensing, but who really cares about them anyways? They suck.

So do we really need Motion Sensing? No.

Unless you want to play games like Cooking Mama, then fine.

The_Nemacyst
:|
jackassultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 jackassultima
Member since 2005 • 1048 Posts
[QUOTE="OGTiago"]HD graphics = GIMMICK does it make the game better? no. *eats mario mushroom*

True
rowzzr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#86 rowzzr
Member since 2005 • 2375 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Nemacyst"]

Do you need it? No.

Does it make games better? No.

Motion Sensing is a gimmick. You don't need it. It's like the HD-DVD Add on for the XBox360.. Worthless (in the bad way)

I'll give you an example. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

You don't need motion sensing. Once you forget about the movements that you have to do, you will probably so immersed inside the game you forgot all about it.

You can play LoZ:TP on the Gamecube, and have the same experience.

For non-wii owners, I'll explain it this way. When you first played a new game with entirely different controls then you are used to, you fidget on the controls a bunch, and you seem to always think of what button to press. But later on, once you have gotten use to it, it flows freely and you have forgotten all about the controls/movements that you have to do with your fingers. Same for the Wiimote. You will get use to it.

But does it create a new genre of games? = Yes.

I believe the only argument the sheep have with this motionsensing stuff is that it creates different genre's of games.. But no one cares about these games anyways, and they aren't better then the classic games like MGS, Halo, WC:3.

These games I am talking about is games such as :WarioWare, CookingMama, Trauma Center. These games are in a different category exclusively for motionsensing, but who really cares about them anyways? They suck.

So do we really need Motion Sensing? No.

Unless you want to play games like Cooking Mama, then fine.

PSP107
100% correct. Motion adds nothing to gaming. Its a waste of time and money.

i'd rather pay $250 on a console with fun games than pay $600 on a console with nothing but a suck-on-this--blue-ray-format that nobody really needs - and if i wanted to watch great cinematics, i'd just watch a movie, pay less and enjoy myself. yeah, go try to justify your $600 waste of money. "You will get used to it" --> well, duh. everybody will in time with whatever controller you bring up.
Dr_Corndog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#87 Dr_Corndog
Member since 2004 • 3245 Posts
Actually, yes. I loved the motion sensing the entire way through TP. Every time I pulled out my bow, I thought, wow, I can't go back. Then I got to the fishing game, and I went nuts. I popped in Wind Waker after I'd finished TP, and I started hitting a button to swing Link's sword. I thought, wow, it doesn't feel like I'm even doing anything. It feels so artificial now.
jaminator45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 jaminator45
Member since 2003 • 367 Posts
To the OP, the 360 hd-dvd addon is not a waste of money if you want to watch hd-dvds
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts
Once upon a time I'm sure people said the motor car was a gimick.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#90 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
Humanity doesn't need videogames does it? Games don't need screens to create visuals, we don't need controllers to control games and we don't need an operating system to use a PC. We don't need something in order for it to be useful. I don't see how pointing out how unnecesary motion sensing is, can show us how little it brings to the table. That we get used to the control system is actually welcome. The wiimote is easier to get in to, to get used to and harder to perfect. It's essential we forget about the controls during a game for the ultimate experience, but the way we control a game does have an everlasting impact on the way we experience it. I think this sounds confusing because we are used to the idea of consciousness determining our experience, because consciousness is ultimately what we experience, and what we are aware of that influenced our experience. But it seems the subconscious (which we named separate but in my opinion should be named as a part of our consciousness) can support our next moment of experience. Something that is less existent in our awareness can still have an incredible impact on its outcome, like a bullet we don't see coming.

Please note Trauma Center and WarioWare are popular series. I expect many people will disagree (which doesn't mean anyone is wrong). Personally i dislike warioware, and trauma center, because i don't like the quirkiness/humor or focus on malfunctioning bodies.

If people don't care about new genres, then in what direction should gaming go? I find it hard to predict what new genres will be created, even harder to tell whether they will be popular or not. By the way I wouldn't expect the first of a genre to be the best either.

Motion sensing doesn't need to create new genres to evolve gaming however. It can add options to existing genres (opening a door as far as You want), change the efficiency of control (one hand instead of two, or grouped functions under one button in a certain position), add or detract from realism (realistic aiming, carrying a house) or impact of a gaming sequence (being forced to make the movement of slicing Your loved ones throat in a scene).
StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

If people don't care about new genres, then in what direction should gaming go?
KungfuKitten

If only some people actually reflected on that.