Miyamoto explains the lack of online for SM3D World.

• 184 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I'm calling bullshit, online play is just as fun as playing with someone else in the room, sometimes more fun since one might not be burdened with sharing a screen with another person. Friends understand stuff like "pause it I'm loading another bowl... *cough cough cough**...", and such, and you can shoot the shit with friends about what's going on in their lives and such like they're in the room. Playing online though only seems to be worse when you have to play with complete strangers who aren't as committed to playing the game and cooperating as friends would be.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#52  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

I'm calling bullshit, online play is just as fun as playing with someone else in the room, sometimes more fun since one might not be burdened with sharing a screen with another person. Friends understand stuff like "pause it I'm loading another bowl... *cough cough cough**...", and such, and you can shoot the shit with friends about what's going on in their lives and such like they're in the room. Playing online though only seems to be worse when you have to play with complete strangers who aren't as committed to playing the game and cooperating as friends would be.

Bullshit at that, local multiplayer is far more fun than online multiplayer, always has been and always will be.

Gathering a group of friends wen i got time in the weekends, smoking cigs and drinking together wile playing some co-op/competitive local multiplayer all day long is a fantastic experience leagues above playing the same shit alone (and yeah, alone, there's no one in that room). It's half the reason i love gaming.

dreamdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53  Edited By dreamdude
Member since 2006 • 4627 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@dreamdude said:

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

This is getting annoying. Seriously, who cares what you think? Reach out to the fans and ask what they want. If the fans say that they're fine without online, then so be it. Leave it out, but don't continue to decide for us that it's better to play in the same room. Make it an option. Give us both.

I'm out of college and more than half my friends live in different states now. Sure, I'd love to sit next to them and play games, but that's not possible anymore. Nintendo! Not all of your fans are kids.

What do I do with all this nerd rage inside of me?!?

If you don't like it, speak out with your wallet and don't buy it. If enough people agree with you, and the fan majority does want that feature, then they will notice a strong decline in sales and change how they do the next game.

Never actually planned to buy the game. *Insert smile with tongue sticking out* Just felt like complaining at the mindset of my beloved Nintendo. People will still buy this game because it looks too awesome. I just feel that if they can nail split screen, then it shouldn't be too hard for them to figure out an online solution. I hope it doesn't take 10 years for them to start rethinking things...

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#54  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

Honestly, this ordeal is almost as ironic as when Nintendo blocked Melee streems at EVO. One one hand it SHOULD be a terrible move, but on the other, there's just something that makes it an ironic mess, no matter who's side you're on.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

@dreamdude said:.

Never actually planned to buy the game. Just felt like complaining at the mindset of my beloved Nintendo. People will still buy this game because it looks too awesome. I just feel that if they can nail split screen, then it shouldn't be too hard for them to figure out an online solution. I hope it doesn't take 10 years for them to start rethinking things...

System Wars motto.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

That's just a bad excuse.

this is 2013 - the 8th generation of gaming; there's no reason to have local coop, but not online.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

I understand that Nintendo's primary market is children/families, but I hope someone lets them know that organizing "playdates" and working around the schedules of 4 busy adults can be quite cumbersome. Especially, when we're talking about a 8+ hour game, here. This isn't much of a problem when you're just a kid, and all your friends live in the same neighborhood, go to the same school and pretty much operate on the same schedule.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 MFDOOM1983

@dreamdude said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@dreamdude said:

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

This is getting annoying. Seriously, who cares what you think? Reach out to the fans and ask what they want. If the fans say that they're fine without online, then so be it. Leave it out, but don't continue to decide for us that it's better to play in the same room. Make it an option. Give us both.

I'm out of college and more than half my friends live in different states now. Sure, I'd love to sit next to them and play games, but that's not possible anymore. Nintendo! Not all of your fans are kids.

What do I do with all this nerd rage inside of me?!?

If you don't like it, speak out with your wallet and don't buy it. If enough people agree with you, and the fan majority does want that feature, then they will notice a strong decline in sales and change how they do the next game.

Never actually planned to buy the game. *Insert smile with tongue sticking out* Just felt like complaining at the mindset of my beloved Nintendo. People will still buy this game because it looks too awesome. I just feel that if they can nail split screen, then it shouldn't be too hard for them to figure out an online solution. I hope it doesn't take 10 years for them to start rethinking things...

You say this, but then again, you're talking about a company that complains about HD development in 2013. Nintendo seems to prioritize maximizing profits and pushing off all research investments that they'll probably need later on.

Some day digital purchases will be tied to us(accounts) instead of our hardware...someday.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#59 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@MFDOOM1983 said:

I understand that Nintendo's primary market is children/families, but I hope someone lets them know that organizing "playdates" and working around the schedules of 4 busy adults can be quite cumbersome. Especially, when we're talking about a 8+ hour game, here. This isn't much of a problem when you're just a kid, and all your friends live in the same neighborhood, go to the same school and pretty much operate on the same schedule.

Organizing time together online or off is a pain for a lot of people. Most people I know work shift work and are available during the day. I work M-F 9-5 and am mostly available in the evenings. It's kinda funny, given the convenience of online gaming, that I've spent less time with my friends than 10 years ago shortly after graduating high school, where we would spend 10-12 hours together, playing video games, board games or D&D. Now, we can barely get together for a meal.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

I can't believe Nintendo of all people aren't trying to do amazing things with online, physics and ai. It's so weird to me.

Physics and ai don't even have to be intensive, Steam is littered with amazing indie games which make great use of it. And Nintendo games are begging for online, and if anyone could do something interesting with it, you'd expect it to be Nintendo.

I don't understand their mentality.

Edit: I don't only mean online multiplayer, there are many things that online could be used for and it's limited only by Nintendo's imagination.

dreamdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 dreamdude
Member since 2006 • 4627 Posts

@MFDOOM1983 said:

Completely agree. I don't see online as better than split screen. Both the options have their pros and cons. Online is very convenient though. If this game had online, it might strike my interest more. I'd be able to find times in the day where a friend and I could both get online.

If I bought this game, it would probably go untouched after my solo use of it. Oh well. Here's for hoping for next time.

Yo-SUP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Yo-SUP
Member since 2013 • 357 Posts

Why are they pushing mini verse then?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#63  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:

I can't believe Nintendo of all people aren't trying to do amazing things with online, physics and ai. It's so weird to me.

Physics and ai don't even have to be intensive, Steam is littered with amazing indie games which make great use of it. And Nintendo games are begging for online, and if anyone could do something interesting with it, you'd expect it to be Nintendo.

Outside of the already have it's like Smash, Mario Kart, and Pokemon, as well as two out of three MIA franchises like F-Zero and Star Fox (as those two have potential if Nintendo didn't put them on hiatus), what other Nintendo games, including this ask for online? This may be a co-op, but that doesn't mean it'll work.

Zaraxius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#64 Zaraxius
Member since 2013 • 221 Posts

That's fine, I would've only played couch multiplayer anyway.

Why is it that no takes issue with the PC having a severe lack of couch multiplayer games?

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

@Renegade_Fury: and yet it'll still be better than any recent sonic game.

Stay butt flustered

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

@Shinobishyguy said:

@Renegade_Fury: and yet it'll still be better than any recent sonic game.

Stay butt flustered

Are you serious, lol? Stay butt flustered, sheep.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#67 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

If Nintendo half spent the time they take making excuses for not having features and put it towards there games they'd be able to add said features and add a ton of additional content on top.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Shinobishyguy

@Renegade_Fury: how did lost worlds end up? Oh right. It tried being mario galaxy and failed at it

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By MFDOOM1983

@HalcyonScarlet said:

Edit: I don't only mean online multiplayer, there are many things that online could be used for and it's limited only by Nintendo's imagination.

I was under the impression that Miyamoto was going to start working on bite-sized games that allow for more experimentation, but I guess those plans fell through somewhere between then and Wii-U's poor performance.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Renegade_Fury
@Shinobishyguy said:

@Renegade_Fury: how did lost worlds end up? Oh right. It tried being mario galaxy and failed at it

Oh you mean that Nintendo exclusive? Seems like it sucks just like everything else about Nintendo and the Wii U these days. Don't get mad, because I can call a spade a spade.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Shinobishyguy

@Renegade_Fury: That flpo was all sega, nintendo just payed the bills

Meanwhile this looks to be the best 3d platformer since galaxy 2 and here you are shitting on it like the bitter flatworm you are

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@maninflames-77 said:

Atleast give people the option, I mean cmon its f*cking 2013.

Not for Nintendo, hey they just found out about HD...

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#73 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@Renegade_Fury: Sonic always has and always will be complete shit compared to King Mario.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Renegade_Fury
@Shinobishyguy said:

@Renegade_Fury: oh I didn't realise that it was developed by nintendo ead :|

lol, really? I called it a Nintendo exclusive, you know, the games that are supposed to be the main reasons to buy a console. Clinging on to my avatar reeks of desperation. Maybe if you weren't such a fanboy, you wouldn't get so mad everytime someone says something not so nice about Nintendo. :(

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Shinobishyguy

@Renegade_Fury: :lol: your the one calling them untalented hacks when just about everything shown about this game says the opposite

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#76 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

I still do not see why you would not want to have online multiplayer for this game. The only two reasons (not counting this sad excuse) I could see are that they see it as a waste of resources for an online mode that is not going to have a strong community for very long, or they figure that people are just going to be dicks online and just try to kill other players like it's Call of Duty or something.

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

Hey fuckos, leave Nintendo alone. :'(

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@Shinobishyguy:

I'm calling them incompetent and lazy. I think that's valid criticism in 2013 if one is making a game, and a flagship title no less, that focuses so much on MP, and yet lacks online play. I'm not a fanboy, so it's easy for me to call out bullshit.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#79 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Please understand.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

He's the most resistant person to change that I think I've ever heard of. Hopefully this isn't the "Online gaming won't take off" speech like with the Wii.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By HalcyonScarlet

@nintendoboy16 said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

Outside of the already have it's like Smash, Mario Kart, and Pokemon, as well as two out of three MIA franchises like F-Zero and Star Fox (as those two have potential if Nintendo didn't put them on hiatus), what other Nintendo games, including this ask for online? This may be a co-op, but that doesn't mean it'll work.

My edited post clarifies what I meant a bit.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By HalcyonScarlet

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

I was under the impression that Miyamoto was going to start working on bite-sized games that allow for more experimentation, but I guess those plans fell through somewhere between then and Wii-U's poor performance.

I think it may be a good idea for him and others there to experiment, more R&D of sorts.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

Lazy excuses. Get with the times Nintendo. No good reason to not have both

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

The only people I know with Wii Us live something like 5,000 miles away from me.

Dag nabbit, Nintendo.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#86 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@treedoor said:

The only people I know with Wii Us live something like 5,000 miles away from me.

Dag nabbit, Nintendo.

5000 miles? Where do you live... Easter Island?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

That guy and Nintendo are always coming up with crappy excuses not to evolve their games. The real reason would be that they need to get it out the door fast because Wii U needs games.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I honestly don't understand how people wanted NSMB online. It's frustrating enough locally - but since it is local you can let that go and just have fun with it. Putting it online will only be frustrating with people getting in your way. I wonder if it's even people who've played the game who think it needs online, because if you did play it, you'd understand this.

None of us have played SM3DW but it's possible the same will apply here. We will see soon.

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#89  Edited By scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

It's not like I know anyone with a Wii U I could play online with anyway.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#90 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

I find it amusing that people will defend Nintendo here (not just in this thread but others too).

If there was a game on PS3/360 that had co-op, yet no online option for said coop, it would get slated, for some reason Nintendo gets a free pass.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

@_Matt_: The problem with your statement is that NSMB is hardly co-operative. If you try to co-operate it will simply fail and end in frustration. We haven't played NSM3DW, so it might not apply and it could be a good game for online. But judging from the 2D version, it wouldn't be worthwhile to do online. We will find out soon enough how the game plays as a "co-op" game, and if it works, then sure, it should have online, and next time hopefully they do. But this is the first game, so we will see how it pans out.

TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By TheKingIAm
Member since 2013 • 1531 Posts

@trugs26: I don't know anyone who owns a crappy wii eww

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#93 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Prepare to play some Mario online 10 years for now

No emicon when quoting, what sorcery is this?

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
@freedomfreak said:

@_Matt_ said:

Lousy excuse for no online. I love splitscreen, and I am glad they have it... but why not have online too?

Beats me. So many games do it. Having online multiplayer doesn't stop me from being able to still play splitscreen with a buddy.

It's even weirder how they're trying to push player connectivity around the world with Miiverse(which I absolutely love), and then pull something like this.

Hey!!! You never told me you were on MiiVerse... :D

Ok add me lol

Angel_Shiranui

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

No emicon when quoting, what sorcery is this?

Yeah, that's pretty weird. I just inserted, so I guess it disappears when being quoted.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

@nini200 said:

Hey!!! You never told me you were on MiiVerse... :D

Ok add me lol

Angel_Shiranui

Wind Waker bundle 8)

For sure, I will. The only friend I have is my brother :'(

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

Online isn't need in a Mario game. Mario Kart and Brawl are ones that do.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

When was the last time any of you geniuses even played a platformer online, let alone actually enjoyed doing so? And no, Little Big Planet doesn't count. I said platformers, not balloon simulators.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#99  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Little Big Planet and Trine are good multiplayer platform games. Maybe Miyamoto-san can play those for a while and if he likes them, make an online Mario sooner than a decade from now.

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6609 Posts

Rayman Legends didn't have online either but nobody complains about Ubisoft here on SW. People are only bitching because it's Nintendo. Yeah it would've been great to also have online but I guess they didn't want to spend more resources and take more time to add the feature.