Miyamoto explains the lack of online for SM3D World.

• 184 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by freedomfreak (40146 posts) -

Please understand. Oh wait, that's Iwata.

Still, here it goes.

"While online play is certainly technically possible for us, it simply wasn’t the focus for us this time around," Miyamoto said. "What we really wanted to do was to create something that people could experience fully while playing comfortably with others who were nearby them, and this is something we decided would be best for Pikmin and the best case for Mario here as well"

It's 2013, Monsieur Miyamoto!!!

BUT DO NOT DESPAIR!!

"Now that is to say the answer to this question might change in ten years time, if there’s a future game where for example we don’t think it’s important to be able to see the face of the person you’re playing with, then we might be able to focus more on some online function there. But for right now our focus is really on a comfortable play experience with people in the same room."

Prepare to play some Mario online 10 years for now :dizzyos:

Link

Thoughts?

I would've liked to have some online multiplayer in this game.

#2 Posted by danabo (2474 posts) -

I love Nintendo's philosophies, even if I haven't enjoyed their hardware since the Gamecube.

Certainly a company worth supporting.

#3 Posted by _Matt_ (8908 posts) -

Lousy excuse for no online. I love splitscreen, and I am glad they have it... but why not have online too?

#4 Posted by ManInFlames-77 (291 posts) -

Atleast give people the option, I mean cmon its f*cking 2013.

#5 Posted by Giancar (19054 posts) -

Nintendo being Nintendo.

Ahead and behind times, at the same time. 0_0

#6 Posted by freedomfreak (40146 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

Lousy excuse for no online. I love splitscreen, and I am glad they have it... but why not have online too?

Beats me. So many games do it. Having online multiplayer doesn't stop me from being able to still play splitscreen with a buddy.

It's even weirder how they're trying to push player connectivity around the world with Miiverse(which I absolutely love), and then pull something like this.

#7 Posted by Gue1 (9819 posts) -

more strawman excuses from Nintendo to defend they archaic design choices. Someone should wake them up already and tell em that it's not the 90's anymore.

#8 Edited by _Matt_ (8908 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

Beats me. So many games do it. Having online multiplayer doesn't stop me from being able to still play splitscreen with a buddy.

It's even weirder how they're trying to push player connectivity around the world with Miiverse(which I absolutely love), and then pull something like this.

Perhaps they don't have the right competencies accessible to make it work online? Who knows, I would hope titles like this have online far sooner than 10 years though, I mean it's already been 10 years since online games started growing massively

#9 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

Nintendo and online dont mix... pokemon is best online thwy uave

#10 Posted by _Matt_ (8908 posts) -

Nintendo and online dont mix... pokemon is best online thwy uave

It's kinda sad just how far behind Nintendo are with technology.

#11 Posted by freedomfreak (40146 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

Perhaps they don't have the right competencies accessible to make it work online? Who knows, I would hope titles like this have online far sooner than 10 years though, I mean it's already been 10 years since online games started growing massively

Yeah, I really don't know either. Can't really brag about not having to pay to play online compared to the Ps4/One when your flagship titles don't support it :p

#12 Posted by Bigboi500 (29682 posts) -

If this game had an extensive online package, people would be saying the SP got sacrificed and had to make cuts for it.

#13 Posted by madsnakehhh (14288 posts) -

That's great, there is no reason to have online in a Super Mario game.

#14 Edited by starwolf474 (620 posts) -

I simultaneously both love and hate Nintendo. I love them for the great games that they make, but hate them for all the stupid decisions that they make like this one.

Of course playing games in the same room with other people provides a better experience than playing online, but there is no good reason to not provide the option to also play online for the times when you can't get together with 3 friends in the same room.

#15 Edited by _Matt_ (8908 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

Yeah, I really don't know either. Can't really brag about not having to pay to play online compared to the Ps4/One when your flagship titles don't support it :p

Agreed. At the risk of being shot by sheep, I feel Nintendo seriously need to get with the times.

#16 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7343 posts) -

No online mode in a Mario game? Boo-hoo? Mario has always been more of a single player experience anyway.

#17 Posted by Bigboi500 (29682 posts) -

No online mode in a Mario game? Boo-hoo? Mario has always been more of a single player experience anyway.

Ba but I want cross-game chat, clan support, kill streaks and no random spawning in mah Marioz braah!

#18 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3548 posts) -

Pretty weak "excuse". Why not have both online and offline co-op?

#19 Posted by Bigboi500 (29682 posts) -

What's your Mario K/D ratio brah? Gotta be 2.0 or higher to join my clan.

#20 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8723 posts) -

Online is just a fad. Right Nintendo?

#21 Posted by Netret0120 (2093 posts) -

In Mario i can understand. If they did this with smash bros then that is just silly

#22 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3548 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

Guess I need to keep getting better at my camping.

#23 Posted by Bigboi500 (29682 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

@princessgomez92 said:

Turn on your mic and join my clan or face getting kicked!

#24 Posted by Desmonic (13812 posts) -

Goddman it Nintendo...it's 2013. Your consumers, even the ones who can barely read, EXPECT some sort of online component. Get with the times.

#25 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3548 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@princessgomez92 said:

When I turn on my mic, I'm going to scream vulgarities at you.

#26 Posted by Bigboi500 (29682 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

@princessgomez92 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@princessgomez92 said:

When I turn on my mic, I'm going to scream vulgarities at you.

Oh baby!

#27 Posted by foxhound_fox (88102 posts) -

This is right up there with "it'll come out when it's done". I highly respect Nintendo and this decision to help maintain a feature of console gaming that is all but dead these days. And have the integrity to admit that they are fully capable of doing otherwise but are purposefully choosing to leave it out.

#28 Edited by _Matt_ (8908 posts) -

This is right up there with "it'll come out when it's done". I highly respect Nintendo and this decision to help maintain a feature of console gaming that is all but dead these days. And have the integrity to admit that they are fully capable of doing otherwise but are purposefully choosing to leave it out.

Splitscreen and online are not mutually exclusive. Just because a game has online support, doesn't mean the game has to suffer in any way or that split screen has to disappear.

#29 Posted by foxhound_fox (88102 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Splitscreen and online are not mutually exclusive. Just because a game has online support, doesn't mean the game has to suffer in any way or that split screen has to disappear.

No, but there are incredibly few examples of that not happening.

#30 Posted by TheKingIAm (985 posts) -

Nintengodno is beyond pathetic. They couldn't have included online in addition to local multiplayer? Nintengodno is damage controlling. The real reason why they didn't include online multiplayer is because the wii eww's cpu is too weak. That's why pikmin 3 didn't have it either.

#31 Posted by handssss (1834 posts) -

PLEASE UNDERSTAND

Nintendo needs to get over themselves and get with the times. Sitting around and playing games is nice, but for many of us, it isn't an option anymore. We grew up, we moved away from family and friends. We should still be able to play with and communicate with them. The technology has existed on consoles long enough now. To think it's still not standard on Nintendo systems is mind boggling.

#32 Edited by SonofK (1066 posts) -

Why not have both? Cater to both audiences like 90% of all other multiplayer games. Screw Nintendo, I won't be picking this game.

#33 Posted by Desmonic (13812 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

There are also very few examples of split-screen no being a total sh!t fest in terms of game performance, the exceptions being (unsurprisingly) mostly Ninty games and a not so large selection of games from good 3rd party devs.

But as Matt said, there is no logical reason to not include both nowadays. Co-op campaign with a couple of buddies/random people online in the new 3D Mario? I'd be all over that. Infact that alone would be a selling factor for plenty of people. I mean if they can make online Ghost Data, why not make the real deal? Pretty sure Ninty devs are more than skilled to make it happen without any real problems.

#34 Edited by foxhound_fox (88102 posts) -

@handssss said:

PLEASE UNDERSTAND

Nintendo needs to get over themselves and get with the times. Sitting around and playing games is nice, but for many of us, it isn't an option anymore. We grew up, we moved away from family and friends. We should still be able to play with and communicate with them. The technology has existed on consoles long enough now. To think it's still not standard on Nintendo systems is mind boggling.

Then they obviously aren't trying to appeal to you if you don't have the opportunity for same-room multiplayer. There are still plenty of us who do have that option.

#35 Edited by TheKingIAm (985 posts) -
#36 Edited by Bigboi500 (29682 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@_Matt_ said:

There are also very few examples of split-screen no being a total sh!t fest in terms of game performance, the exceptions being (unsurprisingly) mostly Ninty games and a not so large selection of games from good 3rd party devs.

But as Matt said, there is no logical reason to not include both nowadays. Co-op campaign with a couple of buddies/random people online in the new 3D Mario? I'd be all over that. Infact that alone would be a selling factor for plenty of people. I mean if they can make online Ghost Data, why not make the real deal? Pretty sure Ninty devs are more than skilled to make it happen without any real problems.

If this was Mario Kart or Smash I could understand, but all this pissing and moaning about a SP-centric Super Mario platformer not being online? That seems about as unreasonable as expecting a JRPG to have competitive online multiplayer.

#37 Edited by Renegade_Fury (17120 posts) -

More like they're incompetent and lazy. A game with so much MP focus should have online play in 2013; no excuses. It's pretty remarkable that even in generation 8, Nintendo seems to be ignorant of those that want to play with friends and family that aren't two feet away from them. Then again, they probably feel comfortable knowing that they have enough blind fanboys to defend their laziness regardless of how much bullshit they spew.

#38 Edited by thedude- (2115 posts) -

This is just a very elaborate excuse for not wanting to put in the work to get the online play to work smoothly because there would be lag and ping issues.

I completely disagree with Miyamoto, not only do most players playing splitscreen blankly focus on their tv screen, but there are a whole host of different play advantages to cooperative multiplayer online; like working with another player with a completely free screen all to your self.

#39 Edited by Desmonic (13812 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

@Desmonic said:

If this was Mario Kart or Smash I could understand, but all this pissing and moaning about a SP-centric Super Mario platformer not being online? That seems about as unreasonable as expecting a JRPG to have competitive online multiplayer.

It's not unrealistic at all dude.

The game allows for local co-op (as far as I know), plus the Ghost Data thingy which is just weird. Why not make it also online? It's not changing the game mechanics at all since the multiplayer is already there, just not online.

This is why Ninty's decision is being questioned. It would be one thing to not have it in say, SMG (though it did have some form of co-op too) where the campaign itself makes far more sense when playing alone. Not exactly the case when you can have 4 characters on screen at the same time....

#40 Posted by Bigboi500 (29682 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@Desmonic said:

It's not unrealistic at all dude.

The game allows for local co-op (as far as I know), plus the Ghost Data thingy which is just weird. Why not make it also online? It's not changing the game mechanics at all since the multiplayer is already there, just not online.

This is why Ninty's decision is being questioned. It would one thing to not have it in say, SMG (though it did have some form of co-op too) where the campaign itself makes far more sense when playing alone. Not when you can have 4 characters on screen at the same time....

It just seems unnatural to me, and local mp is a very superior beast compared to online experiences. This is their work, and they feel like online mp wouldn't work well with it.

I mean I would never expect online multiplayer to be added to Gravity Rush 2 for instance.

#41 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26511 posts) -

Honestly, I actually don't see online work for Mario platformer games. Call it damage control all you want, but some co-op games just work better all local. I'd complain if Mario Kart, Pokemon and Smash didn't have it, but NSMB and SM3D? :?

RE-EDITED for misinformation.

One more thing: I thought people HATED Nintendo's online to begin with?

#42 Edited by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -
@Bigboi500 said:

Their entire reasoning for not having online is predicated on local multiplayer being the focus.

If a JRPG coming out in 2013 prominently supported co-op and showed off co-op play in most of its marketing material, online support would be a perfectly reasonable expectation. As it was here.

#43 Posted by Desmonic (13812 posts) -

It just seems unnatural to me, and local mp is a very superior beast compared to online experiences. This is their work, and they feel like online mp wouldn't work well with it.

I mean I would never expect online multiplayer to be added to Gravity Rush 2 for instance.

Maybe, but again it's simple matter of making an existing feature work online. It's not a matter of adding something that was never there since the start.

I'd expect GR2 to feature some online component. My bets are on co-op missions, but it could be something as simple as leaderboard for the many challenges present in the game.

#44 Posted by dreamdude (4613 posts) -

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

This is getting annoying. Seriously, who cares what you think? Reach out to the fans and ask what they want. If the fans say that they're fine without online, then so be it. Leave it out, but don't continue to decide for us that it's better to play in the same room. Make it an option. Give us both.

I'm out of college and more than half my friends live in different states now. Sure, I'd love to sit next to them and play games, but that's not possible anymore. Nintendo! Not all of your fans are kids.

What do I do with all this nerd rage inside of me?!?

#45 Edited by FinalFighters (1438 posts) -

such a bullshit and lazy excuse..Not everyone has friends and family that live within walking distance to just come over and play. >__>

#46 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

No need for multiplayer in this game, it would be tacked on and a waste of resources.

#47 Posted by Jolt_counter119 (4024 posts) -

ITT. Gamers living up to their reputation of being entitled whiners.

#48 Edited by foxhound_fox (88102 posts) -

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

This is getting annoying. Seriously, who cares what you think? Reach out to the fans and ask what they want. If the fans say that they're fine without online, then so be it. Leave it out, but don't continue to decide for us that it's better to play in the same room. Make it an option. Give us both.

I'm out of college and more than half my friends live in different states now. Sure, I'd love to sit next to them and play games, but that's not possible anymore. Nintendo! Not all of your fans are kids.

If you don't like it, speak out with your wallet and don't buy it. If enough people agree with you, and the fan majority does want that feature, then they will notice a strong decline in sales and change how they do the next game.

#49 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8453 posts) -

I've been waiting for an online co-op Mario game on wii-u since Miyamoto blamed the lack of online in NSMB Wii on processing power. There's no reason to exclude this feature when the game is already designed around co-op play. This is starting to come off as lazy and/or Nintendo being cheap.

#50 Edited by Jolt_counter119 (4024 posts) -

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

How about play a different game with them maybe? Hey, how about Mario Kart, Smash Bros, the innumerable shooters out there? This a single player focused mario platformer which they could have easily not added any multiplayer to. And which they thought that it worked best, so they wanted THEIR game to only be played locally