Microsoft treats indie-devs horribly and ask $40,000 for patches

• 189 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

[QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]

[QUOTE="clone01"] He took his talents to South Beach. You need to let it go :Pclone01

I hate Lebron, I just lost a bet and now I have to have this pedo in my sig.

Ahhhh, okay, lol! I was wondering why he was in a Cleveland uniform. Not a big fan myself. Assumed you might have been from Ohio. Sorry!

No I'm a Celtics fan, which makes this all the more worse.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

Console is a dying form of gaming.

Mr_BillGates
We'll certainly see next gen.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Mr_BillGates
This gen has more consoles sold then any other.
Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

[QUOTE="Kickinurass"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] Encourages devs to release polished games that don't need fixing, and doesn't cost me a penny. DrTrafalgarLaw

That's just silly. Disregarding the inevitability of bugs in nearly any commercial software, what if the devs want to patch difficulty based on fan feedback after the product has shipped. Or optimization code to help the game perform better.

Charging an indie dev $40,000 is just silly and only encourages other developers to stay away from the platform. I'm not saying MS shouldn't charge, but they shouldn't apply a one-size-fits-all pricing scheme to this issue either.

Oh it gets worse, they got charged $40,000 twice! Apparently the patch had issues with deleting save-files from users, a problem that's been going on for ages on the gimped hardware of the 360. They were charged another $40,000 to fix a problem that's due to gimped hardware.

To be honest, that sounds more like a software thing than a hardware thing.

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 FPSfan1985
Member since 2011 • 2174 Posts

Mr_BillGates
Not because of this. Mostly because companies are moving more and more towards cloud gaming.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

[QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] These are businesses, not friends... you can put a game on Xbox, for a fee... you can get MS to advertise it, for a further fee... and you can patch it, for a further fee. That's how business works, if you want MS to do something for you, you need to pay them. They ain't a charity... Seeing as how MS has the most 3rd party support of the 3 consoles, they must be doing something right?locopatho

Nobody said anything about it being charity. Attracting companies by giving them benefits is a business move.

Patching costs MS money... you guys are saying they should do it for free. That would be charity. Again, MS has the most 3rd party support so they are doing something right!

Alright, fine it is charity. Never the less it is still a bussiness move. I though of a good analogy but I forgot it lol. Also can you give me some proof about them having the strongest 3rd party support? I haven't kept up with gaming news in a while.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"][QUOTE="Kickinurass"]

That's just silly. Disregarding the inevitability of bugs in nearly any commercial software, what if the devs want to patch difficulty based on fan feedback after the product has shipped. Or optimization code to help the game perform better.

Charging an indie dev $40,000 is just silly and only encourages other developers to stay away from the platform. I'm not saying MS shouldn't charge, but they shouldn't apply a one-size-fits-all pricing scheme to this issue either.

Kickinurass

Oh it gets worse, they got charged $40,000 twice! Apparently the patch had issues with deleting save-files from users, a problem that's been going on for ages on the gimped hardware of the 360. They were charged another $40,000 to fix a problem that's due to gimped hardware.

To be honest, that sounds more like a software thing than a hardware thing.

Come on, read his posts, look at his sig. He just wants to b!tch about MS, facts don't mean a thing.
FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 FPSfan1985
Member since 2011 • 2174 Posts

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]Nobody said anything about it being charity. Attracting companies by giving them benefits is a business move.

sherman-tank1

Patching costs MS money... you guys are saying they should do it for free. That would be charity. Again, MS has the most 3rd party support so they are doing something right!

Alright, fine it is charity. Never the less it is still a bussiness move. I though of a good analogy but I forgot it lol. Also can you give me some proof about them having the strongest 3rd party support? I haven't kept up with gaming news in a while.

How does patching cost MS money?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

[QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] Plenty of devs manage it. If your deadlines mean you release busted games, then it wasn't a very a helpful deadline was it? :)locopatho

And what if Microsoft made the deadline? That is what I'm getting at.

How would MS make the deadline? Unless it was MS own devs. In which case MS would be charging themselves 40k for a patch?:o

They wouldn't charge themselves, they would charge their developers I think. I don't know I could be wrong.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Mr_BillGates

I think so as well. Phone gaming is becoming way too popular.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts
That's pretty hysterical funny since the creator av Fez pretty much said **** off to both the PC platform and its users. Have fun paying 40.000 for a patch buddy.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#62 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

The indie scene on consoles is crap. The developers get much much much less revenue compared to PC. For an indie game to be put on the XBLA or PSN Store, you are going to need a publisher. Publisher takes a good chunk of the revenue.

Then when the game is on digital store, Microsoft and Sony take another chunk of each sale. They also require payment if the developer wants to keep supporting the game.

The developer gets a crap share of the overall sales compared to something like iOS or PC Digital.

What incentive does this system give? It make developers leave the console market or start milking a series.Why should I spend 40k per patch on supporting a game, when I can abandon the game and use that money on the next game, which I will also abandon shortly after release?

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#63 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

I think you need a patch for your link TC that costs $40000.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4867 Posts
Great link BTW
4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 4dr1el
Member since 2012 • 2380 Posts

Serves those devs right for releasing their games 1st on XBLA

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

This is BS. No way it would cost $40 K for a patch. You source is full of it.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 super600  Moderator

xhawk27

He has no source.:lol:

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 xhawk27

[QUOTE="xhawk27"]

super600

:lol:

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#69 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

super600
wut
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 super600  Moderator

[QUOTE="super600"]

parkurtommo

wut

I made a joke that mocked his thread title because the link in his Op is broken.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts
[QUOTE="Kickinurass"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] Encourages devs to release polished games that don't need fixing, and doesn't cost me a penny. DrTrafalgarLaw

Ok now I get it. You're a rabid fanboy and therefore your point is now rendered moot. Seriously ANYTHING that comes from fanboys should automatically be dismissed as trolling.
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts

?But the indie community is now moving elsewhere; we?re figuring out how to fund and distribute games ourselves, and we?re getting more control over them. Those systems as great as they are, they?re still closed. You have to jump through a lot of hoops, even for important stuff like patching and supporting your game. Those are things we really want to do, but we can?t do it on these systems. I mean, it costs $40,000 to put up a patch ? we can?t afford that! Open systems like Steam, that allow us to set our own prices, that?s where it?s at, and doing it completely alone like Minecraft. That?s where people are going.?

http://www.hookshotinc.com/interview-schafers-millions/

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 parkurtommo

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="super600"]

super600

wut

I made a joke that mocked his thread title because the link in his Op is broken.

The link is working fine for me.
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 super600  Moderator

So you finally payed 40K to patch the link in the OP and this is sad.

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 DrTrafalgarLaw
[QUOTE="kingtito"][QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"][QUOTE="Kickinurass"]

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="xhawk27"]

xhawk27

:lol:

Link was broken, gotta love GameSpot's glitches and bullsh*t. But my source was also in that link. I edited now.
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 super600  Moderator

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"] wutparkurtommo

The link is working fine for me.

It was broken for a while and that's why I made the joke.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#77 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"][QUOTE="Blazerdt47"] And here we go...

Corporate apologists...*sigh*

Does it cost MS money to release GBs of data over Xbox Live? Yes it does. They aren't making gamers pay, they are making devs pay. Ya know, the guys who left in problems that needed patching? I don't see the problem. Don't release a busted game, don't need a patch, don't need to pay MS for use of their infrastructure. Everyone wins, including gamers who get a working game day 1 :shock: :P

On a slight aside, as I understand it each patch requires several man-hours of actual testing to check they are compatible, safe and don't brick the system. Providing the testing and screening process naturally takes time and money. The question is, is what MS is charging developers any more than what Sony is for the same process?
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
Thats terrible, i shouldn't think that indie developers can afford to part with that much cash not to mention it discourages developers from releasing patches for games which is not good, it must have cost bethesda a fortune in patch fee's for oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout NV and skyrim.
Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#79 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

Time for all of them to move on the PS3.....best console ever.AtariKidX

It costs 40k$ on both platforms. I think both MS and Sony have too much bureaucracy involved in patching and that cost is steep for indie devs.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 parkurtommo

So you finally payed 40K to patch the link in the OP and this is sad.

super600
Why is it sad :|
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Why shouldn't they charge for the use of their resources? Console games shouldn't even need patches anyway :/locopatho

Console games always had bugs, they normally didn't affect the main game in a substantial way, but they were there.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

[QUOTE="AtariKidX"]Time for all of them to move on the PS3.....best console ever.Icarian

It costs 40k$ on both platforms. I think both MS and Sony have too much bureaucracy involved in patching and that cost is steep for indie devs.

This will be ignored because all the Sony fanboys want to do is think Microsoft is evil and Sony does gaming for their love of gamers.
xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 xhawk27

Is this 40k for all patches in the future or for only one? That seems a lot for one patch. How much does Steam charge for patches?

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 parkurtommo

Is this 40k for all patches in the future or for only one? That seems a lot for one patch. How much does Steam charge for patches?

xhawk27
I doubt it does charge them at all.
kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

?But the indie community is now moving elsewhere; we?re figuring out how to fund and distribute games ourselves, and we?re getting more control over them. Those systems as great as they are, they?re still closed. You have to jump through a lot of hoops, even for important stuff like patching and supporting your game. Those are things we really want to do, but we can?t do it on these systems. I mean, it costs $40,000 to put up a patch ? we can?t afford that! Open systems like Steam, that allow us to set our own prices, that?s where it?s at, and doing it completely alone like Minecraft. That?s where people are going.?

http://www.hookshotinc.com/interview-schafers-millions/

DrTrafalgarLaw
Sounds like they're talking about consoles in general and not just MS but of course that's what YOU point out becuase of your fanboy bias.
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts
[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"][QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"][QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"] You'd think Microsoft has so much ad revenue and revenue from ransoming online gameplay that they'd be able to patch every game that exists in this world twice with several GigaBytes.

That is dumb. Just face it no matter what you just want to think Microsoft is EVIL.

I already called them cancerous to gaming, companies that brought GFWL to PC while there are alternatives like Steam deserve to die. Microsoft can suck herpetic, phimotic, epispadic, balanitic phalusses for all I care.

So is Sony evil for doing this also or are you just the typical Sony fanboy hypocrit?
WarTornRuston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 WarTornRuston
Member since 2011 • 2712 Posts

I guess you morons did not read the article when he said he was ultimately glad they worked with Microsoft and understood the certification process that Sony and Nintendo does as well. They don't call Sony up and say "We need a patch" and them Sony invites them over for hand jobs.

Idiots.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
At this point.....:lol::lol::lol::lol: at any lemming stupid enough to actually defend microsoft.
Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

The indie scene on consoles is crap. The developers get much much much less revenue compared to PC. For an indie game to be put on the XBLA or PSN Store, you are going to need a publisher. Publisher takes a good chunk of the revenue.

Then when the game is on digital store, Microsoft and Sony take another chunk of each sale. They also require payment if the developer wants to keep supporting the game.

The developer gets a crap share of the overall sales compared to something like iOS or PC Digital.

What incentive does this system give? It make developers leave the console market or start milking a series.Why should I spend 40k per patch on supporting a game, when I can abandon the game and use that money on the next game, which I will also abandon shortly after release?

ShadowDeathX

The incentive is you get guaranteed exposure. It's easy to point to the successful games on iOS and PC and say "look at how big a rip-off the consoles are!!!", but that fails to account for the vast quantity of indie games that wallow in obscurity. The App Store is such a discoverability clusterf*ck that if you don't launch on the top-sellers list you're f*cked. There are countless games on Steam that struggle to break even (never mind the games that don't get on Steam at all). HumbleBundle and the like are fully curated and as such focus almost entirely on established developers, so it's not like you can count on them as an upstart.

So as byzantine as XBLA's policies are, the fact that even a game like Fez (near-vapourware, not exactly "wow-factor" gameplay) can evidently make a good chunk of change speaks for itself.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
That's stupid. These indie games are usually less than 1 GB for the entire game and a patch would probably be under 100MB. MS is just flaunting their greed and furthering their nickel and dime regime over the entire industry
Codepix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Codepix
Member since 2012 • 58 Posts
That stuff is to be expected since it's Microsoft. No wonder why the Xbox 360 sucks so bad.
xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 xhawk27

At this point.....:lol::lol::lol::lol: at any lemming stupid enough to actually defend microsoft.AmazonTreeBoa

Oh boy! :roll:

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 DrTrafalgarLaw
[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"][QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]That is dumb. Just face it no matter what you just want to think Microsoft is EVIL.CanYouDiglt
I already called them cancerous to gaming, companies that brought GFWL to PC while there are alternatives like Steam deserve to die. Microsoft can suck herpetic, phimotic, epispadic, balanitic phalusses for all I care.

So is Sony evil for doing this also or are you just the typical Sony fanboy hypocrit?

The difference is that Sony is hosting online gameplay and dedicated stuff for the devs, so it's only fair to ask a small amount for patches. But yes, $40,000 is too damn high. Microsoft however only hosts F2P servers and nothing more and still asks for more money.
Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#96 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

ShadowDeathX
Actually not with Sony they allow indie devs to self publish on psn, and give breaks to indie devs. He'll they also have a 20 million plus pub fund for indie devs who need the cash and have a great idea/prototype. Just add water the Oddeorld remake guys tried for over a year to get on xbla and they were refused due to size of the game at first then later because they didn't have a publisher. Well guess what they are PC / psn only now and they get support and can publish themselves. One more reason ms are greedy. It will catch up to them next gen when sales aren't high as devs will remember this. Right now they need to put on live because they want sales . Ms only has these arse backwards rules because they can get away with it.
Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts
Did anyone said Sony Defense Force?is on top me ^
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

ShadowDeathX

Royalty rates are about the same between PSN/XBLA and AppStore/whatever else. The major difference is in certification: consoles have a rigorous testing checklist that you have to pass before you can ship your game or release a patch. The idea is that the bar is higher, which results in fewer titles but overall higher quality. This has been the driving idea behind consoles since the NES days. Even the publisher requirement is really just an extension of this idea.

App Store and Steam are a lot more open, but of course this means there's a lot more titles around that you have to compete with. A lot of developers aren't going to want their game to be 1 of 10,000, where 5,000 are free.

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

That's stupid. These indie games are usually less than 1 GB for the entire game and a patch would probably be under 100MB. MS is just flaunting their greed and furthering their nickel and dime regime over the entire industry BPoole96

As Fish himself said, it's not about making money, it's about ensuring devs aren't taking a release now, patch later approach to development. It's essentially a penalty for releasing a buggy game (and covers the entire certification process, not just bandwidth, which when you consider the patch will be downloaded by thousands upon thousands of users, isn't insubstantial either).

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts
I thought it was 10,000? Something like 4 patches per game each 10k unless you release DLC, then it's free or something. Thats what 3arc said about cod patching lol.