Microsoft treats indie-devs horribly and ask $40,000 for patches

• 189 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts

Apparently it costs $40,000 to simply patch your game, whether it's a indie game worth a few megabytes or not.
Microsoft continues to treat developers like those of Fez and Super Meat Boy like trash and eventually drives them nuts.
When will people see the true cancer to gaming that is Microsoft?

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/the-rabbit-hole-that-is-life-after-fez/4275/

Discuss.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Isnt this old news?

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

So, ads + actually have to pay + no free patches/updates + THIS

lmao why?

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

lmao why?

Jankarcop
Apparently to p*ss you off.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Patches? We don't need no stinking patches!
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Why shouldn't they charge for the use of their resources? Console games shouldn't even need patches anyway :/
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

It's probably an old policy that MS heads haven't reviewed since the start of this gen. They didn't even think indie developers existed back in 2005.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

yadda yadda, MS = devil, yadda yadda yadda

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#9 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts

lmao why?

Jankarcop
You forgot GFWL.
Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts
Why shouldn't they charge for the use of their resources? Console games shouldn't even need patches anyway :/locopatho
And here we go...
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DrTrafalgarLaw
[QUOTE="locopatho"]Why shouldn't they charge for the use of their resources? Console games shouldn't even need patches anyway :/Blazerdt47
And here we go...

Corporate apologists...*sigh*
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Why shouldn't they charge for the use of their resources? Console games shouldn't even need patches anyway :/locopatho

ladies and gentlmen, if you ever thought brainwashing wasn't real....

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

lmao why?

Jankarcop

Microsoft sees it as:

Money + More money + Even MORE MONEY

So you know, that explains it.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 locopatho
[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"][QUOTE="locopatho"]Why shouldn't they charge for the use of their resources? Console games shouldn't even need patches anyway :/DrTrafalgarLaw
And here we go...

Does it cost MS money to release GBs of data over Xbox Live? Yes it does. They aren't making gamers pay, they are making devs pay. Ya know, the guys who left in problems that needed patching? I don't see the problem. Don't release a busted game, don't need a patch, don't need to pay MS for use of their infrastructure. Everyone wins, including gamers who get a working game day 1 :shock: :P
Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

God help us all.

MacBoomStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MacBoomStick
Member since 2011 • 1822 Posts

Maybe its incentive to release a game that doesn't need patches?

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 locopatho

[QUOTE="locopatho"]Why shouldn't they charge for the use of their resources? Console games shouldn't even need patches anyway :/sherman-tank1

God help us all.

Why should MS have to cover the cost of a developer patching their busted game? I really don't see the issue...
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"][QUOTE="Blazerdt47"] And here we go... locopatho

Does it cost MS money to release GBs of data over Xbox Live? Yes it does. They aren't making gamers pay, they are making devs pay. Ya know, the guys who left in problems that needed patching? I don't see the problem. Don't release a busted game, don't need a patch, don't need to pay MS for use of their infrastructure. Everyone wins, including gamers who get a working game day 1 :shock: :P

Don't the devs already have to pay microsoft a fee to put the game on xbox?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"][QUOTE="Blazerdt47"] And here we go... locopatho

Every game is going to have hidden problems when released. They can't find everything during the testing phase.

chaoz-king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 chaoz-king
Member since 2005 • 5956 Posts
How about they just scrap that part of Xbox Live? It's just filled with **** Minecraft clones and really bad flash styled games.
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"] Corporate apologists...*sigh*sherman-tank1

Every game is going to have hidden problems when released. They can't find everything during the testing phase.

You did not answer his question though. Does it cost MS money to release GBs of data over Xbox Live?
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DrTrafalgarLaw
[QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"]Why shouldn't they charge for the use of their resources? Console games shouldn't even need patches anyway :/locopatho

God help us all.

Why should MS have to cover the cost of a developer patching their busted game? I really don't see the issue...

You'd think Microsoft has so much ad revenue and revenue from ransoming online gameplay that they'd be able to patch every game that exists in this world twice with several GigaBytes.
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DrTrafalgarLaw
[QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] Does it cost MS money to release GBs of data over Xbox Live? Yes it does. They aren't making gamers pay, they are making devs pay. Ya know, the guys who left in problems that needed patching? I don't see the problem. Don't release a busted game, don't need a patch, don't need to pay MS for use of their infrastructure. Everyone wins, including gamers who get a working game day 1 :shock: :PCanYouDiglt

You did not answer his question though. Does it cost MS money to release GBs of data over Xbox Live?

Does it cost money for MS to let players host P2P servers?
AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts
Time for all of them to move on the PS3.....best console ever.
kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"] Corporate apologists...*sigh*sherman-tank1

Oh they can find a hella of a lot more than they do. They're just rushing games out now adays because they know they can still patch it later no matter how buggy. Just look at Skyrim. BTW how does this effect gamers? Last time I checked games are always coming out on XBLA. I guess the point is moot since I don't see devs pulling games or refusing to release because of the patch fee.
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts
[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]God help us all.DrTrafalgarLaw

You'd think Microsoft has so much ad revenue and revenue from ransoming online gameplay that they'd be able to patch every game that exists in this world twice with several GigaBytes.

That is dumb. Just face it no matter what you just want to think Microsoft is EVIL.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

[QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"]Why shouldn't they charge for the use of their resources? Console games shouldn't even need patches anyway :/locopatho

God help us all.

Because the developers put their game on Microsoft's console, therefore Microsoft should support it. It also helps companies shy away from putting their games on the Xbox.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 locopatho
[QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] Does it cost MS money to release GBs of data over Xbox Live? Yes it does. They aren't making gamers pay, they are making devs pay. Ya know, the guys who left in problems that needed patching? I don't see the problem. Don't release a busted game, don't need a patch, don't need to pay MS for use of their infrastructure. Everyone wins, including gamers who get a working game day 1 :shock: :Pkingtito

Oh they can find a hella of a lot more than they do. They're just rushing games out now adays because they know they can still patch it later no matter how buggy. Just look at Skyrim. BTW how does this effect gamers? Last time I checked games are always coming out on XBLA. I guess the point is moot since I don't see devs pulling games or refusing to release because of the patch fee.

Exactly. People are just using anything to attack MS. This is a good policy imo. Encourages devs to release polished games that don't need fixing, and doesn't cost me a penny. Only people who are mad are rabid MS haters :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

[QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] Does it cost MS money to release GBs of data over Xbox Live? Yes it does. They aren't making gamers pay, they are making devs pay. Ya know, the guys who left in problems that needed patching? I don't see the problem. Don't release a busted game, don't need a patch, don't need to pay MS for use of their infrastructure. Everyone wins, including gamers who get a working game day 1 :shock: :PCanYouDiglt

He already answered his own question, why should I?

Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

That's just silly. Microsoft seems intent on half-assing indie dev support.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 clone01
Time for all of them to move on the PS3.....best console ever.AtariKidX
LOL...trolling? or just that sad of a fanboy?
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DrTrafalgarLaw
[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"][QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"][QUOTE="locopatho"] Why should MS have to cover the cost of a developer patching their busted game? I really don't see the issue...

That is dumb. Just face it no matter what you just want to think Microsoft is EVIL.

I already called them cancerous to gaming, companies that brought GFWL to PC while there are alternatives like Steam deserve to die. Microsoft can suck herpetic, phimotic, epispadic, balanitic phalusses for all I care.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

[QUOTE="kingtito"][QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]Every game is going to have hidden problems when released. They can't find everything during the testing phase.

locopatho

Exactly. People are just using anything to attack MS. This is a good policy imo. Encourages devs to release polished games that don't need fixing, and doesn't cost me a penny. Only people who are mad are rabid MS haters :)

I don't hate MS... Also, how do you expect certain companies to make their games complete polished if they have deadlines?

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 locopatho

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]God help us all.

sherman-tank1

Because the developers put their game on Microsoft's console, therefore Microsoft should support it. It also helps companies shy away from putting their games on the Xbox.

These are businesses, not friends... you can put a game on Xbox, for a fee... you can get MS to advertise it, for a further fee... and you can patch it, for a further fee. That's how business works, if you want MS to do something for you, you need to pay them. They ain't a charity... Seeing as how MS has the most 3rd party support of the 3 consoles, they must be doing something right?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

[QUOTE="AtariKidX"]Time for all of them to move on the PS3.....best console ever.clone01

I doubt he is serious. We all know the PSP is the best console of all time.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 clone01
I don't hate MS... Also, how do you expect certain companies to make their games complete polished if they have deadlines?sherman-tank1
He took his talents to South Beach. You need to let it go :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

[QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]I don't hate MS... Also, how do you expect certain companies to make their games complete polished if they have deadlines?clone01

I hate Lebron, I just lost a bet and now I have to have this pedo in my sig.

Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

Encourages devs to release polished games that don't need fixing, and doesn't cost me a penny. locopatho

That's just silly. Disregarding the inevitability of bugs in nearly any commercial software, what if the devs want to patch difficulty based on fan feedback after the product has shipped. Or optimization code to help the game perform better.

Charging an indie dev $40,000 is just silly and only encourages other developers to stay away from the platform. I'm not saying MS shouldn't charge, but they shouldn't apply a one-size-fits-all pricing scheme to this issue either.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 locopatho

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="kingtito"] Oh they can find a hella of a lot more than they do. They're just rushing games out now adays because they know they can still patch it later no matter how buggy. Just look at Skyrim. BTW how does this effect gamers? Last time I checked games are always coming out on XBLA. I guess the point is moot since I don't see devs pulling games or refusing to release because of the patch fee. sherman-tank1

I don't hate MS... Also, how do you expect certain companies to make their games complete polished if they have deadlines?

Plenty of devs manage it. If your deadlines mean you release busted games, then it wasn't a very a helpful deadline was it? :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

[QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] Why should MS have to cover the cost of a developer patching their busted game? I really don't see the issue...locopatho

These are businesses, not friends... you can put a game on Xbox, for a fee... you can get MS to advertise it, for a further fee... and you can patch it, for a further fee. That's how business works, if you want MS to do something for you, you need to pay them. They ain't a charity... Seeing as how MS has the most 3rd party support of the 3 consoles, they must be doing something right?

Nobody said anything about it being charity. Attracting companies by giving them benefits is a business move.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 locopatho

[QUOTE="locopatho"] Encourages devs to release polished games that don't need fixing, and doesn't cost me a penny. Kickinurass

That's just silly. Disregarding the inevitability of bugs in nearly any commercial software, what if the devs want to patch difficulty based on fan feedback after the product has shipped. Or optimization code to help the game perform better.

Charging an indie dev $40,000 is just silly and only encourages other developers to stay away from the platform. I'm not saying MS shouldn't charge, but they shouldn't apply a one-size-fits-all pricing scheme to this issue either.

I agree the one size fits all fee is wrong. Should be based on the size of the patch.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 clone01

[QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]I don't hate MS... Also, how do you expect certain companies to make their games complete polished if they have deadlines?sherman-tank1

I hate Lebron, I just lost a bet and now I have to have this pedo in my sig.

Ahhhh, okay, lol! I was wondering why he was in a Cleveland uniform. Not a big fan myself. Assumed you might have been from Ohio. Sorry!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

[QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] Exactly. People are just using anything to attack MS. This is a good policy imo. Encourages devs to release polished games that don't need fixing, and doesn't cost me a penny. Only people who are mad are rabid MS haters :)locopatho

Plenty of devs manage it. If your deadlines mean you release busted games, then it wasn't a very a helpful deadline was it? :)

And what if Microsoft made the deadline? That is what I'm getting at.

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DrTrafalgarLaw

[QUOTE="locopatho"] Encourages devs to release polished games that don't need fixing, and doesn't cost me a penny. Kickinurass

Oh it gets worse, they got charged $40,000 twice! Apparently the patch had issues with deleting save-files from users, a problem that's been going on for ages on the gimped hardware of the 360. They were charged another $40,000 to fix a problem that's due to gimped hardware.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 locopatho

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]Because the developers put their game on Microsoft's console, therefore Microsoft should support it. It also helps companies shy away from putting their games on the Xbox.

sherman-tank1

Nobody said anything about it being charity. Attracting companies by giving them benefits is a business move.

Patching costs MS money... you guys are saying they should do it for free. That would be charity. Again, MS has the most 3rd party support so they are doing something right!
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

[QUOTE="AtariKidX"]Time for all of them to move on the PS3.....best console ever.clone01

he be butthurt that sony's platform is essentially the lesser of two evils XD

indie and pc go togeather so great :D its simply cheaper to devlop and release on pc. and as a result from a buisness standpoint its also smarter.

alos these are indie games were talking about here.. nobody expect them to be shattering visual eyecandy perceptions anytime soon XD (this being said legend of grimrock was hawt imo :3)

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 locopatho

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]I don't hate MS... Also, how do you expect certain companies to make their games complete polished if they have deadlines?

sherman-tank1

And what if Microsoft made the deadline? That is what I'm getting at.

How would MS make the deadline? Unless it was MS own devs. In which case MS would be charging themselves 40k for a patch?:o

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FPSfan1985
Member since 2011 • 2174 Posts
This is why ouya has raised 5 million in weeks time.
Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts
yeah $ony doesn't do this and they don't like money.
Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

Console is a dying form of gaming.