Microsoft acknowledges Kinect could spy on you but would challenge gov't orders

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#51 Mozuckint
Member since 2012 • 831 Posts

Get cleared by the EFF MS and I MIGHT trust you.

Until then I don't.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Microsoft's been in the news a fair bit lately on the strength of its supposed collaboration with the US National Security Agency - a Guardian report alleges that the latter is able to gather user data via Skype, Outlook and Hotmail with Microsoft's consent. The company has now released a formal statement on the matter, denying much of the report and calling on the US government to allow it "to share publicly more complete information about how we handle national security requests for customer information".

Microsoft has also rejected claims that it will allow the NSA to gather data via the Xbox One's Kinect sensor, which is required for the console to run. "Absent a new law, we don't believe the government has the legal authority to compel us or any other company that makes products with cameras and microphones to start collecting voice and video data," reads a comment mailed to the Verge. "And we'd aggressively challenge in court any attempts to try and force us to do so."

Link: Xbox dOne

DrTrafalgarLaw

:lol: They would ask and MS will comply...

Trying to act tough now is a joke when they were from the first to join to spy millions over the world,everything online has a backdoor remember this.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

doesnt matter your words alone. "if uncle sam orders it you cant do jack shit" so anyone that owns a ps copy can be spied upon.WilliamRLBaker

Yeah Uncle Sam will have a hard time trying to force me to buy the PS eye...:lol: 

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts
isn't microsoft part of the nsa?narutosup
Yes, they were the first and foremost collaborator (or purpetrator) with the NSA that did not even challenge, fight or refuse the government orders to monitor all Skype and hotmail traffic. By government orders, Microsoft installed backdoors on Windows OS's, gave the government the encryption keys to all hotmail/outlook e-mail adresses, e-mails and other personal information and keeps thousands of Petabytes of information on all Skype calls made since 2007. Let me stress this again, out of the 7 companies incorporated into PRISM, Microsoft is THE ONLY ONE to not challenge or refuse collaboration. I can't believe people are willing to buy a console from a company that has betrayed its people. Lemmings are DONE.
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 DrTrafalgarLaw

[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"][QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"] ...then the ps4 can be used to spy as well...so there goes your argument.WilliamRLBaker
Playstation Eye is not mandatory, Kinect is.

doesnt matter your words alone. "if uncle sam orders it you cant do jack shit" so anyone that owns a ps copy can be spied upon.

Probably yes. But here's the thing: I don't need an PS Eye to do the most basic things as controlling the UI or playing a videogame. Kinect needs to be on a 100% off the time if the console is on. Without it, it won't function.

Microsoft has a terrible reputation of betraying customers and collecting information about its consumers, outright SPYING on them. This isn't some small bullshit you just shrug off, NSA in Europe is daily on the news and the participating companies have litigations running against them. Microsoft went as far as to install backdoors onto Windows operating systems. How can anyone trust such putrid scumbags with your personal information now?

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts
[QUOTE="kenmid"]

The title should say this like the article saids.

Microsoft will "aggressively challenge" any government attempt to spy through Kinect

and not make up your own.

DrTrafalgarLaw
Make your own thread. I can pick whatever title I want.

OP please correct the title of our thread. By not including the word "aggressively" you are clearly trying to mislead users. Your lack of integrity, transparency, and honesty has no place in SW. We have an image to uphold here. Please be diligent in making these changes.
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 DrTrafalgarLaw
[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"][QUOTE="kenmid"]

The title should say this like the article saids.

Microsoft will "aggressively challenge" any government attempt to spy through Kinect

and not make up your own.

stizzal13
Make your own thread. I can pick whatever title I want.

OP please correct the title of our thread. By not including the word "aggressively" you are clearly trying to mislead users. Your lack of integrity, transparency, and honesty has no place in SW. We have an image to uphold here. Please be diligent in making these changes.

I hit the character limit on the thread, I can't add a single letter. I even abbreviated the government.
coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#58 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Trust me, with the surveillance equipment the Government has, if they want to spy on you they will spy on you.

Kinect and the Sony eye are both able to be turned against you, just like your phone, your laptop, etc. Anything with a speaker and / or a microphone. If your not comfortable with the Kinect or the eye toy unplug them when they are not in use.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
Member since 2010 • 1750 Posts

Microsoft will being spying on you with the Xbox one. Deal with it, and move on.

PS4TrumpsXbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60 PS4TrumpsXbox1
Member since 2013 • 1371 Posts
[QUOTE="-Snooze-"]

So could your phone. This is boring.

mems_1224
or computer

Funny you should mention computer, since windows operating systems is also owned by Microsoft which would be the gateway for spying via your computer haha
PS4TrumpsXbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 PS4TrumpsXbox1
Member since 2013 • 1371 Posts

Trust me, with the surveillance equipment the Government has, if they want to spy on you they will spy on you.

Kinect and the Sony eye are both able to be turned against you, just like your phone, your laptop, etc. Anything with a speaker and / or a microphone. If your not comfortable with the Kinect or the eye toy unplug them when they are not in use.

coasterguy65
Even if the PS eye could spy on you, at least its optional to use with PS4 unlike the kinect. Consumers could prevent spying from not buying the PS eye accessory, but Lems wont have that option since kinect is required for X1. Maybe you should question why kinect is mandatory to use with X1 (so they can spy on you most likely)
Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

TC, people here don't mind NSA watching via Kinect. So no need for MS to deny it.

Obama himself went on live TV to confirm the existance of PRISM and people here still believe it's a conspiracy theory.

pcgamingowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 pcgamingowns
Member since 2013 • 1223 Posts

**** kinect the death of xbox GODDAMN I MISS U XBOX

strawhatlupi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 strawhatlupi
Member since 2008 • 869 Posts

coasterguy65
i think spying can be done in 2 ways like active spying or passive spying. active is something where they specify an individual target and are used primarily on high profile targets such as political opponents, suspected terrorists, or celebrities/media. passive are just like cctv cameras, its always on recording stuff. MS have much more profit doing this than the government as it helps them estimate market uncertainties. they can sell these informations to 3rd party corporations, make targeted advertising (saves them a lot of money), conduct market study (experiment product on their consumers) etc. thse is much more dangerous privacy wise as profit plays a major role in this type of data mining.
Cuby_Finest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Cuby_Finest
Member since 2005 • 1129 Posts
[QUOTE="-Snooze-"]

So could your phone. This is boring.

meetroid8
So could your mom.

charming
pcgamingowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 pcgamingowns
Member since 2013 • 1223 Posts

if you seriously cant play fakebox without kinect being connected id tape the camera up and mic inputs up and stuff it into a corner with cloths on top lol

NTSC-U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 NTSC-U
Member since 2008 • 490 Posts

[QUOTE="NTSC-U"]

i want chinese food.

DrTrafalgarLaw

Kinect is keeping tabs on you, you commie!

that trash will not be in my house, thank you.....