Male v Female character, how do you decide?

• 105 results
GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 GhostHawk196
Member since 2012 • 1337 Posts

With the release of Fallout 4 just around the corner I am curious how people decide whether to play as a male or female character.

For me if it's a third person game and there are romances I'd prefer a male character ie. Mass Effect 2 (the romance interests in Mass Effect 1 were instant turn offs for most straight guys, feel free to disagree). If witcher 3 let you choose I'd still play as a male character.

If the game has no romance interactions and no good looking female characters I like to create my own hot female character because seeing you are going to spend a good 50 or more hours looking at her from behind it sounds logical.

How does everyone else decide?

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Obviously , male.

If you're a girl then you should go with female ...i guess.

" If the game has no romance interactions and no good looking female characters I like to create my own hot female character because seeing you are going to spend a good 50 or more hours looking at her from behind it sounds logical."

LOL

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

I create two characters, one male and one female on seperate saves and alternate between them.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#4 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

I always pick the female when given the choice, I think gamespot did a video of that and said 30% of male players pick female in video games.

I just prefer a female heroin over a dude.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Male since I'm a male, honestly the whole males playing as females is just awkward.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I choose male because I'm male.

The only time I consider female is if the main character on the box art is female, and I think the main character should be a female (e.g if Splatoon wasn't online, I would've chose female).

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

Depends on the class in RPGs.

If I'm warrior I play male. If I'm rogue I play male. If I'm mage I play male.

If I'm support I play female

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Peeps are more into sausages eh?

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

I often pick female when I've a choice, just since games without choice are like 99% male, so a change is pretty welcome.

I only do it if makes sense to me though, I know some will yell "sexism" but I just don't see women doing well in the Wasteland of Fallout, at all, so it would hurt my immersion to be one.

In a high tech or fantasy setting (such as Mass Effect or Elder Scrolls) it makes more sense to me, so I'll usually go female there.

I find romance options in games cringy at best so don't really consider them as a reason, though I naturally do try and lez out with any willing crewmates :P

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

I'm a guy that makes female characters.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Always female characters when there's a choice, already played as too many male characters anyway.....& even if the game has romance, don't go for the whole romance thing in game. :P

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Male cause I'm a guy. Don't want to play a game from a females perspective and fake video game characters don't turn me on so I have no reason to play as female most of the time.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
@Ballroompirate said:

Male since I'm a male, honestly the whole males playing as females is just awkward.

The same can be said about males playing male characters. If I am going to play a character for tens of hours, I at least want an appealing view with all the feminine gasps and groans and what not that come with the package.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

Yep, also games like Mass Effect feel like they are made to be played as a male. If you go a female in Mass Effect you still get called Sir by your team lol.

EDIT: A poll would have been nice for this thread

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mems_1224

@Hexagon_777: if you need to jerk off there are websites for that. You don't have to do it while playing games.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#16  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Females are better, simple as that. I always choose them.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ballroompirate

@Hexagon_777 said:
@Ballroompirate said:

The same can be said about males playing male characters. If I am going to play a character for tens of hours, I at least want an appealing view with all the feminine gasps and groans and what not that come with the package.

Looking at a pixel ass for 20 hours just doesn't do it for me and half the time they aren't even nice.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

I play as a male whenever I have the choice... You're supposed to be playing as if you're the character, creating a character just because you want to look at a digital ass seems weird.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

In general, I play male characters, playing as a female just doesn't feel right, the last game I played a female toon was Dragon Age: Inquisition.

In online games I will never play as a female.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mems_1224

@Ballroompirate: word. If you want to role play as a female, cool, I get that. If you want to stare at the fake ass of awkward looking/moving chick, that's just weird

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Hexagon_777

@mems_1224: Thank you for your vulgar hyperbole. It has been noted.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Hexagon_777
@Ballroompirate said:
@Hexagon_777 said:
@Ballroompirate said:

Looking at a pixel ass for 20 hours just doesn't do it for me and half the time they aren't even nice.

Ditch the PlayStation 2 and get a gaming PC. That pixel ass will look much better.

Avatar image for deactivated-6079d224de716
deactivated-6079d224de716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-6079d224de716
Member since 2009 • 2567 Posts

Male if I play first-person, female if third-person. Staring at female ass is more fun.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mems_1224

@Hexagon_777: why else would you need to stare at an ass and hear constant grunting and moaning?

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hexagon_777
@mems_1224 said:

@Hexagon_777: why else would you need to stare at an ass and hear constant grunting and moaning?

Female characters are just more appealing to play as for me. It doesn't immediately mean that I am jerking off. By your logic, if you enjoy playing as ultra muscular, all male space marines with all the grunts and hoorahs that entails, there are websites for that as well if you need to jerk off. Enjoy.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mems_1224

@Hexagon_777: except I'm not playing as a male to be aroused by staring at his ass. In fact, I'm hardly even looking at my character when playing games. Your dumb logic doesn't fit there bud.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ballroompirate

@Hexagon_777 said:
@Ballroompirate said:
@Hexagon_777 said:
@Ballroompirate said:

Ditch the PlayStation 2 and get a gaming PC. That pixel ass will look much better.

Shit I must have put my gtx 970, 16gb of ram and 3tb hdd in the microwave instead of my pc

@mems_1224 said:

@Ballroompirate: word. If you want to role play as a female, cool, I get that. If you want to stare at the fake ass of awkward looking/moving chick, that's just weird

What's even more awkward is if the game has romance options, it might just be me but I have no idea how to pick up dudes as a chick, I mean do I just lift up my shirt and BAM!?, do I just wear tight yoga pants that says "PINK" across my upper butt cause it might not be so obvious for guys checking out my females nice bottom even though they were probably looking at it already but hey there's some letters that say something...oh look a nice ass

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Hexagon_777
@mems_1224 said:

@Hexagon_777: except I'm not playing as a male to be aroused by staring at his ass. In fact, I'm hardly even looking at my character when playing games. Your dumb logic doesn't fit there bud.

To be aroused? What? Do you get aroused that quickly? You must be one of those teens walking around with a boner all the time. Simply saying that one is more appealing than the other does not equate to arousal, kid. Cut the dumb logic.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Hexagon_777
@Ballroompirate said:
@Hexagon_777 said:
@Ballroompirate said:
@Hexagon_777 said:
@Ballroompirate said:

Shit I must have put my gtx 970, 16gb of ram and 3tb hdd in the microwave instead of my pc

@mems_1224 said:

What's even more awkward is if the game has romance options, it might just be me but I have no idea how to pick up dudes as a chick, I mean do I just lift up my shirt and BAM!?, do I just wear tight yoga pants that says "PINK" across my upper butt cause it might not be so obvious for guys checking out my females nice bottom even though they were probably looking at it already but hey there's some letters that say something...oh look a nice ass

A GTX 980 running games at 2560x1440 with 16GB of RAM might improve the experience? I don't know, that's just what I use. No complaints. Don't some games have same sex relationship options? Mass Effect, for instance?

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

Mix it up. If the game has charachters with a set personality then I gravitate to the more likeable. For a game like fallout I will pick one sex the first playthrough, and another the next.

DrSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DrSpoon
Member since 2015 • 628 Posts

Female when there is a choice. For some reason, I find the voice acting is usually better.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#33 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

I always play as male when given a choice. Otherwise, I have no problem with female protagonists. However I hate when ultra mega turbo sexual ultimate editions are added into the game just to make some cry babies happy.

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GhostHawk196
Member since 2012 • 1337 Posts

Guys, I didn't mean for this to become an argument, can we please first agree that just because we see some woman who is very hot in a video game, one does not necessarily have a wank over her, can we agree we can appreciate the beauty of a female without the need to jack to her?!?

I personally find it a bit weird playing a female character but given that if it's a game like dark souls, you will have your character back facing you the entire 80 hours or however many you play the game for, wouldn't you prefer to look at a woman if you're a man and man if you're a woman? Since fallout is an rpg game with decisions I would probably play as a male character.

Whoever suggested this to be a poll, I don't think I can change it now but I'm more interested in the rationale of why people play as female or male.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#35 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@GhostHawk196 said:

Guys, I didn't mean for this to become an argument, can we please first agree that just because we see some woman who is very hot in a video game, one does not necessarily have a wank over her, can we agree we can appreciate the beauty of a female without the need to jack to her?!?

I personally find it a bit weird playing a female character but given that if it's a game like dark souls, you will have your character back facing you the entire 80 hours or however many you play the game for, wouldn't you prefer to look at a woman if you're a man and man if you're a woman? Since fallout is an rpg game with decisions I would probably play as a male character.

Whoever suggested this to be a poll, I don't think I can change it now but I'm more interested in the rationale of why people play as female or male.

You can think whatever you want and do whatever you want. Don't take internet too seriously.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

Definitely male, if the game lets me. Easily relate-able and I like to immerse myself and "be" that char in the game's settings, thats just how I roll in games.

But I don't mind play games that have fixed gender like NOLF and such, one of my favourite best ever games are Beyond Good And Evil, The Longest Journey, Dreamfall etc. Even in games that have switchable genders like State of Decay.

Except if they overly sexualised the char just to pander to raging teen hormones. It just reeks of "LOOK HOW WE ACCURATELY MODELLED AND SCULPTURED THE FEMALE BUTT, JUST FOR YOUR EYES! DONT YOU WANT TO HAVE SEX WITH HER?!?" Its just feels like you are forced to go through the deepest sex fantasies of a starved geeky man...it feels eeeww and distracts detracts from the gameplay.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#37 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I'm a male so I will be playing as a male

dz8t2t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dz8t2t
Member since 2004 • 318 Posts

@k--m--k said:

I just prefer a female heroin over a dude.

LoL.

Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts

Would've said I typically choose female, but thinking about the few games I've actually made a choice...

Arcanum: Female.
Dark Souls 1+2: Female.
Fallout 1+2+3+NV: Male.
Fire Emblem Awakening: Female.
Fire Emblem Fates: Male.
Mass Effect 1+2: Male.
Mass Effect 3: Female.

...I've actually gone male a little more often than female.

It's, for a lack of a better word, discomforting having elements of a game not match with my choice. For example, having Pip in all the perk/skill icons even if you're a girl or defaulting to the clearly main male character that's on the damn cover. Feels like the game doesn't want me to be a girl. :\ Only reason I went with FemShep in ME3 is because I couldn't take ManShep seriously anymore.

Without those elements, it's purely my whim. Incidentally female much more often than male.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Male.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

Male and if it's a mmo of sorts, will reroll with female char later, unless i have no choice at the start.

In case of mmorpg with HF settings :

Warriors/rogues/support : male

Mage/sorceress/healer : female.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#42  Edited By GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

I always choose male, primarily because I have difficulty relating to a protagonist of different gender. While relatability does not by itself determine enjoyment, I tend to enjoy things more if I can relate to the protagonist. Applies to a lot of other stuff like movies, anime, novels, etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#43 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

I just go randomly, based on the last game I played. If I play as a male first and then decide to replay the game then I'll change gender and vice versa. Whether I play as a male or female I never see myself as the character. I play video games to go to another world, another reality, not to add myself to that reality.

Honestly saying that you play as a woman to not look at a dude ass is probably the weirdest thing ever. Have fun with your digital boner I guess.

funkmaster1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By funkmaster1233
Member since 2014 • 706 Posts

LMFAO. People ITT are actually insecure enough with their sexuality to not pick a male char simply because you can see his pixel ass.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

I was going to make a male human melee class that looked like vin diesel.

But then I realized that the game has catgirls

I like catgirls.

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#46 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

Depends on the voice acting...

vvulturas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 vvulturas
Member since 2015 • 1249 Posts

Always female when given the choice.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

In a games like fallout it is male just because I put myself in the game world. Then I play female afterward.

phoenix5352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#49 phoenix5352
Member since 2011 • 387 Posts

male , because i wanna play as myself for the first time and seriously experiencing the story, but the second time i'll try to play as female because its more fun exploring and doing funny things.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#50  Edited By Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

Almost always male unless I dislike how the male character looks. I play as an Inkling Girl on Splatoon and as a Dancer on Ragnarok Online when I want to play an Archer.