Major inconvenience with the Playstation Move: battery charging?

• 133 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ratchet_ruler88
ratchet_ruler88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#101 ratchet_ruler88
Member since 2005 • 535 Posts

You could always play a different game while it's charging, I don't see how this is a problem.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#102 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20169 Posts

[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"][QUOTE="ogvampire"]

there arent any 'big deals' if you bought stuff to make up for what missing

ps3 doesnt come with a 16ft usb cable...

ogvampire

Wiimotes don't come with spare batteries. You have to buy those. Chances are the money you spend on replacements total up to more than than longer wire.

rechargable batteries work for more things than just the wiimote...

got 8 of them years ago, use them for alot of things...

So are USB cables.....
Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Zero_epyon

You could always play a different game while it's charging, I don't see how this is a problem.

ratchet_ruler88
It's just grasping now. Trying to make a big deal of nothing to distract from the terribleness that is Kinect(natal). Since Natal is just a camera and is on as long as your 360 is on it doesn't require charging or batteries. However, you can only play Kinetic games with Kinetic, as opposed to move games where your most likely able to have the option of using a DS3.
ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#105 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

there arent any 'big deals' if you bought stuff to make up for what missing

ps3 doesnt come with a 16ft usb cable...

ogvampire

Wiimotes don't come with spare batteries. You have to buy those. Chances are the money you spend on replacements total up to more than than longer wire.

USB cables work for more than just PS3 controllers. I have tons of em sitting around that came with headsets, phones, cameras. The "I already have it" argument is invalid because it works for both. Either way, at some point you had to buy the batteries/charger, and when you did, it cost a crapload more than a $5 cable.

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 9145 Posts

[QUOTE="ratchet_ruler88"]

Zero_epyon

It's just grasping now. Trying to make a big deal of nothing to distract from the terribleness that is Kinect(natal). Since Natal is just a camera and is on as long as your 360 is on it doesn't require charging or batteries. However, you can only play Kinetic games with Kinetic, as opposed to move games where your most likely able to have the option of using a DS3.

how are you going to use the pointer function with the ds3?

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 ogvampire

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"] Wiimotes don't come with spare batteries. You have to buy those. Chances are the money you spend on replacements total up to more than than longer wire.ianuilliam

USB cables work for more than just PS3 controllers. I have tons of em sitting around that came with headsets, phones, cameras. The "I already have it" argument is invalid because it works for both. Either way, at some point you had to buy the batteries/charger, and when you did, it cost a crapload more than a $5 cable.

cool... then send me one

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts
including a play and charge kit is a plus in my book and can be charged by my laptop.
Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Zero_epyon

[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"][QUOTE="ratchet_ruler88"]

ogvampire

Analog stick?
Boomshaffted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Boomshaffted
Member since 2009 • 721 Posts
Just for everyone who seems patently unaware of a decade old technological phenomenon... http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=battery+charger&x=0&y=0 Cheap rechargeable AA NiMH batteries that work in almost many, many household devices including non-Sony controllers, that magically allow you to continue playing wirelessly when built in battery packs would due to age or simply being drained from use. They also have the superpowers of having Sony-loving Cows pretend they don't exist, or are so expensive of hard to obtain that they don't even warrant mention in controller discussions. Have a nice day.
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 ogvampire

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"] It's just grasping now. Trying to make a big deal of nothing to distract from the terribleness that is Kinect(natal). Since Natal is just a camera and is on as long as your 360 is on it doesn't require charging or batteries. However, you can only play Kinetic games with Kinetic, as opposed to move games where your most likely able to have the option of using a DS3.Zero_epyon

Analog stick?

the games made specifically for the Move that have pointer functionality do so because you need to point quickly... cant really do that with the analogue sticks

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 ianuilliam

[QUOTE="ianuilliam"]

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

ogvampire

cool... then send me one

Here's ya a 15' for $3.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189163

If you prefer, pm me, and we can exchange addresses. I'll send you one for free after you send me about $10 to cover shipping.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

The Dualshock 3 uses a cable connecting to the system to charge, still usuable while charging. You might want to rotate charges, but thats pretty minor.

The only problem is if you keep your PS3 in an inconvient place, but that would be a problem with the normal one too.

lx_theo

I keep my PS3 above my tv, so to play with a 3 foot USB cable, i'd literally have to stand infront of my TV... its a pretty bg inconvienence for me especially since I only have one controller. I wish they'd just make battery packs like the 360 controller.

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 ogvampire

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

[QUOTE="ianuilliam"]USB cables work for more than just PS3 controllers. I have tons of em sitting around that came with headsets, phones, cameras. The "I already have it" argument is invalid because it works for both. Either way, at some point you had to buy the batteries/charger, and when you did, it cost a crapload more than a $5 cable.

ianuilliam

cool... then send me one

Here's ya a 15' for $3.

If you prefer, pm me, and we can exchange addresses. I'll send you one for free after you send me about $10 to cover shipping.

for $3... and $6 shipping :?

nah... i will pass, thanks though

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Zero_epyon

ogvampire

Analog stick?

the games made specifically for the Move that have pointer functionality do so because you need to point quickly... cant really do that with the analogue sticks

Then take a break, get a longer cable or play a different game while it charges. Seriously...
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 ogvampire

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"] Analog stick?Zero_epyon

Then take a break, get a longer cable or play a different game while it charges. Seriously...

relax dude... just pointing out that the DS3 is not always a replacement for the Move

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 ianuilliam

[QUOTE="ianuilliam"]

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

cool... then send me one

ogvampire

Here's ya a 15' for $3.

Versus what, $20-30 for a play and charge kit for 360? Or a $40-50 battery recharger plus $8 spare rechargable batteries? If you want to play while charging, the PS3 is the cheapest console to do it on. Free, if your PS3 is close to where you sit, or a $2.99 cable to reach accross the room. Even with $5.99 shipping, it's under $10.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Zero_epyon

ogvampire

relax dude... just pointing out that the DS3 is not always a replacement for the Move

I'm good. It's just that I don't see the point in all of this. So you have to recharge a controller. How is that inconvenient?
azshorty2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#119 azshorty2003
Member since 2004 • 4651 Posts
Well the Dualshock 3 only takes about 25 minutes to charge if you don't use it. Just make sure its charged before you start your 3 day gaming marathon?tomarlyn
This ^ I dont see why this is an issue. now i dont have to swap out batteries. just leave it charging before you play. and even if it needs to be plugged in, i have a long enough wire for it to not be a problem. at least this, like the ps3 controller, can be plugged in and keep playing. i have 2 wiimotes that have battery packs which i require me to rest the controller in the cradle, so i cant play at all. or i just have to put in batteries.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#120 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
Never before have I seen so many people complain about not having to buy batteries for something.
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 ogvampire

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"] Then take a break, get a longer cable or play a different game while it charges. Seriously...Zero_epyon

I'm good. It's just that I don't see the point in all of this. So you have to recharge a controller. How is that inconvenient?

its an inconvenience for the ones that are ill-prepared, like me...

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 ogvampire

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

[QUOTE="ianuilliam"]Here's ya a 15' for $3.

ianuilliam

Versus what, $20-30 for a play and charge kit for 360? Or a $40-50 battery recharger plus $8 spare rechargable batteries? If you want to play while charging, the PS3 is the cheapest console to do it on. Free, if your PS3 is close to where you sit, or a $2.99 cable to reach accross the room. Even with $5.99 shipping, it's under $10.

if thats what you been spending on battery rechargers then you been getting gipped

i got mine with 4 batteries for $20... Energizer ones

for $40 i got enough batteries to handle all of my electronics that need it...i still have 2 that i dont use

i would rather have batteries than the usb recharge for this purpose

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#123 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

Sony rechargable battries are the best, i can play my DS3 all day without the need to recharge it ( given that it was fully rechatged when i first started playing) ..... Move should bea similar case.

And battries is 10 times more inconveniet. /thread.

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 ianuilliam

[QUOTE="ianuilliam"]

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

ogvampire

if thats what you been spending on battery rechargers then you been getting gipped

for $40 i got enough batteries to handle all of my electronics that need it...i still have 2 that i dont use

That's $40 more than I had to pay for rechargable batteries for all 4 of my Sixaxis controllers... Even if you throw in the cost for a couple of longer cables so I can recharge while I play, it's still less.

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 ogvampire

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

[QUOTE="ianuilliam"]Versus what, $20-30 for a play and charge kit for 360? Or a $40-50 battery recharger plus $8 spare rechargable batteries? If you want to play while charging, the PS3 is the cheapest console to do it on. Free, if your PS3 is close to where you sit, or a $2.99 cable to reach accross the room. Even with $5.99 shipping, it's under $10.

ianuilliam

That's $40 more than I had to pay for rechargable batteries for all 4 of my Sixaxis controllers... Even if you throw in the cost for a couple of longer cables so I can recharge while I play, it's still less.

thats fine for you... but most of my electronics and peripherals use batteries instead of the usb recharge

i just want to use what i already had and was used to using...

guess im a dinosaur... i still prefer batteries over recharging

shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

How has this non-issue gone on for so many pages.

Unless you're planning on a marathon Move session without sleep (if anyone is planning on getting this at all) then it's not going to matter.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#128 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Again this is not about the DS3, it's about the Move controllers. I was looking at what the controller comes with here and here, and it looks like it doesn't come with any way for you to recharge it unless you buy this. Sure you can use a very long USB cable to recharge it, but you won't be able to plug and play like you can do with the DS3 with the Move controllers especially when you have to swing your arms around and stuff.

Anyone with a Wii knows when their controller is running low on batteries, they can quickly change it right away and continue to play in minutes. Also the Wii nunchuck doesn't even need any kind of charging. Both the Move and Move secondary controller needs to be charged when they are low. Sure I guess it's not major, but I think it's very inconvenient especially when playing and time is flying by having fun, then you are disrupted because you must recharge.

I guess the solution is really having multiple controllers, two Moves and two Move secondary controllers, or even that charging station for $30. Man that will kill wallets.

Respawn-d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Respawn-d
Member since 2010 • 2936 Posts

If your playing soooooooooo long that the lithuim battery dies its a sign to turn the game off and go out side.

Respawn-d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Respawn-d
Member since 2010 • 2936 Posts

Prob is solved

RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 RTUUMM
Member since 2008 • 4859 Posts
ahh no battery change needed just like the ps3 controller? thats a good thing.Totalgym9000
this I dont see the problem here. I guess people are trying to find something for ownage
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts
[QUOTE="RavenLoud"]Sorry, but you act as if rechargeables never die if they're not lithium. I believe that the back of my Nickel hybrid metal rechargeables says that it will last for about 150 full recharges. (which should be about 3 years). It depends on the quality of the batteries though. I personally find the built-in batteries to be more convenient. I think you can send it back to Sony if the batteries die someday too (don't quote me on that though). I use a 9ft. USB cable if I want to charge while playing. There is nothing wrong with batteries, but they still add an invisible layer of price behind the controllers (even rechargeables cost 10~20$). Maybe that's why I wasn't shocked at Move's prices (which are pretty much exactly what I expected, If I was Sony however, I would include the subcontroller in the 100$ Move bundle too though)

I never said the batteries don't die. I was questioning whether rechargeable in general are really as environmentally friendly as people seem to think they are.

Regardless, my point is that a couple rechargeable AAs are easier (and cheaper) to replace than a Lithium ion. Especially in a X number of years down the road. AAs are always going to be around. They're a standard form factor. Lithium Ions are proprietary, so when they stop producing them that's it.

There are some obvious issues with tethering a motion controller while playing.

ryetech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 ryetech
Member since 2006 • 347 Posts
What I would like to ask the TC is that if it isn't a problem for current DS3 owners.....why would it be a problem for Move owners?