Major inconvenience with the Playstation Move: battery charging?

• 133 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

"Unlike the Wii Remote, which is powered by regular batteries (or in cases of third-party solutions a rechargeable battery pack), the Move is fuelled by the same lithium ion battery that runs your PlayStation 3's DualShock 3 controller, meaning it'll have plenty of shelf life between recharges. As a bonus, the Subcontroller also has a lithium ion battery."

If you only bought the bundle that comes with only one Move controller and you need to charge it. You would have to completely stop playing your game and wait till it charges, since you can't quickly change the battery like you do on the Wiimote. Same goes with the Moves secondary controller.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

The Dualshock 3 uses a cable connecting to the system to charge, still usuable while charging. You might want to rotate charges, but thats pretty minor.

The only problem is if you keep your PS3 in an inconvient place, but that would be a problem with the normal one too.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

that sucks if true.

though I would guess it holds a much better charge than the DS3. the Wiimote holds like 40 or 60, or something. but it could still be worse.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Or you can keep it charged before it completely runs out of juice.

Unless you're the type that does 10 hr+ gaming sessions.

Totalgym9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Totalgym9000
Member since 2009 • 1456 Posts
ahh no battery change needed just like the ps3 controller? thats a good thing.
gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gago-gago

The Dualshock 3 uses a cable connecting to the system to charge, still usuable while charging. You might want to rotate charges, but thats pretty minor.

The only problem is if you keep your PS3 in an inconvient place, but that would be a problem with the normal one too.

lx_theo

I'm not talking about the DS3, I'm talking about the Move. How are you going to play with the Move controller while it's wired?

Nasi-goreng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nasi-goreng
Member since 2010 • 87 Posts

"Unlike the Wii Remote, which is powered by regular batteries (or in cases of third-party solutions a rechargeable battery pack), the Move is fuelled by the same lithium ion battery that runs your PlayStation 3's DualShock 3 controller, meaning it'll have plenty of shelf life between recharges. As a bonus, the Subcontroller also has a lithium ion battery."

If you only bought the bundle that comes with only one Move controller and you need to charge it. You would have to completely stop playing your game and wait till it charges, since you can't quickly change the battery like you do on the Wiimote. Same goes with the Moves secondary controller.

gago-gago
At least there's real-time weapon change
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lx_theo

[QUOTE="lx_theo"]

gago-gago

I'm not talking about the DS3, I'm talking about the Move. How are you going to play with the Move controller while it's wired?

Well if you have your PS3 set up well like me, its pretty easy to have enough wire length for it not to be a problem.

Then again, even with the situation you described, its not really a major problem if you have the common sense to check when its low on batteries and charge it.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gago-gago

[QUOTE="gago-gago"]

Nasi-goreng

At least there's real-time weapon change

Lol, that's actually real now!

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
In my opinion, either AA batteries or a removable, rechargeable battery pack are needed. 60 bucks for a charger and half a dozen high quality rechargeable AAs, and you never have to stop.
nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nhh18
Member since 2009 • 6538 Posts

This is a good thing. I don't understand why controllers still use outdated rechargable batteries. Lithium Ion batteries are used in handhelds, phones, etc. It is absurd that controls are antiquated.

BZSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BZSIN
Member since 2005 • 7889 Posts

Not really a major problem, more of a minor inconvenience.

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Tylendal

This is a good thing. I don't understand why controllers still use outdated rechargable batteries. Lithium Ion batteries are used in handhelds, phones, etc. It is absurd that controls are antiquated.

nhh18
Batteries work better. You can tether the batteries (or the battery packs) to a wall, instead of the whole device.
gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gago-gago

nhh18
In your thread, you said the pricing for the Move is absurd. So if you don't want to stop playing your game and wait for the controller to charge, you will need an extra Move controller and an extra secondary controller.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
Well the Dualshock 3 only takes about 25 minutes to charge if you don't use it. Just make sure its charged before you start your 3 day gaming marathon?
Mattizzle815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 Mattizzle815
Member since 2008 • 895 Posts

Cool, I don't have to buy batteries all of the time

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lx_theo

[QUOTE="nhh18"]

gago-gago

In your thread, you said the pricing for the Move is absurd. So if you don't want to stop playing your game and wait for the controller to charge, you will need an extra Move controller and an extra secondary controller.

Or charge it when your not playing? The point of getting multiple controllers of anyything is for multiple people to play, not so that you don't have to put any reasonable foresight into charging.

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

I don't see how is that not a positive point but a negative one. :P

Why would I want to buy batteries instead of recharging the sucker?

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Tylendal

PSdual_wielder
Or you could just buy rechargeable batteries... Are there actually people who even still buy disposable batteries? o.O
shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

Shouldn't the topic title read: Minor inconvenience blown out of proportion.

mgs_freak91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mgs_freak91
Member since 2007 • 2053 Posts
[QUOTE="nhh18"]

gago-gago

Take the time to charge it. I'm sorry if everyone hasn't thought about buying several controllers just so charging isn't an issue. It's not as though you should be playing more than two hours straight anyways. When you take a break at some point, charge for 30 minutes or so. Not that hard. Why are some people making a big thing out of this? It isn't - "OMFG MOVE SUCKS NOW! HAHAHAHAHA NATAL/WIIMOTE OWN!! WOOOO" - worthy. As someone else said it's just a "minor inconvenience". With that said, let's hope that Move comes out with good games. That magic/spelly one seemed like fun really. Hopefully better games will come out and make it worthy of a purchase though.
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lx_theo

[QUOTE="PSdual_wielder"]

Tylendal

Or you could just buy rechargeable batteries... Are there actually people who even still buy disposable batteries? o.O

Which is a much more annoying to charge all of them?

mgs_freak91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mgs_freak91

Shouldn't the topic title read: Minor inconvenience blown out of proportion.

shinrabanshou
+1,000,000,000 + A cookie. Yea, that's right! Only ONE cookie! :P
gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gago-gago

PSdual_wielder
I like the internal battery, I was just thinking if the Move controller needs to be charged you have to completely stop playing and wait for it to charge since there's not quick option to change the battery right away so you can continue playing without a hitch, unless you buy multiple Move controllers.
mgs_freak91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mgs_freak91
[QUOTE="PSdual_wielder"]

Tylendal

:O I'se buy some disposablessss! :) Why buy two rechargeable batteries plus the recharger, when I can buy heaps of disposable ones for cheaper. :P Not to mention that even rechargeable batteries will die out. MWAHAHAHHAA
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Tylendal

[QUOTE="Tylendal"][QUOTE="PSdual_wielder"]

lx_theo

Huh? You just keep your charger in the wall, with four batteries in it... when something dies, just swap out two of the batteries, and off you go. Good rechargeable batteries don't care about having similar charges, being recharged at a certain level, or develop a memory. Their only downside is that they'll go dead pretty quickly if they're not in a charger or a device (such as a wii-mote) which is hardly a downside at all. Personally, I'd rather have something that lets me keep playing, and can be used for almost every device in my house, then having to plug my controller into the wall.
mgs_freak91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mgs_freak91
[QUOTE="lx_theo"]

[QUOTE="Tylendal"] Or you could just buy rechargeable batteries... Are there actually people who even still buy disposable batteries? o.OTylendal

Huh? You just keep your charger in the wall, with four batteries in it... when something dies, just swap out two of the batteries, and off you go. Good rechargeable batteries don't care about having similar charges, being recharged at a certain level, or develop a memory. Their only downside is that they'll go dead pretty quickly if they're not in a charger or a device (such as a wii-mote) which is hardly a downside at all. Personally, I'd rather have something that lets me keep playing, and can be used for almost every device in my house, then having to plug my controller into the wall.

Yea but there more you charge the batteries the crappier they become. :(
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Tylendal
[QUOTE="Tylendal"][QUOTE="PSdual_wielder"]

mgs_freak91

:O I'se buy some disposablessss! :) Why buy two rechargeable batteries plus the recharger, when I can buy heaps of disposable ones for cheaper. :P Not to mention that even rechargeable batteries will die out. MWAHAHAHHAA

Well, I started getting rechargeable batteries when the Wii launched. We now have about a dozen powering things throughout the house, and none of them have started dying yet. Good rechargeable batteries will cost you about eight bucks each, but they're still better value than no name brand disposables in the long run.
nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nhh18
Member since 2009 • 6538 Posts

[QUOTE="nhh18"]

Tylendal

Batteries work better. You can tether the batteries (or the battery packs) to a wall, instead of the whole device.

Batteries have a way shorter life expentencie. Playstation 3 controller lasts for like 30 hours at a time.

Nasi-goreng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Nasi-goreng
Member since 2010 • 87 Posts

I guess no one's ever heard of Sanyo Eneloop?

_SWAG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 _SWAG_
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

sorry i have inside sources that says the move controllers batteries will last very very very long you can play for a week without charging. besides people are going to buy more than one day one because every one wants the move since its the best motion controllers for the hardcores. its amazons top seller right now

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lx_theo

[QUOTE="mgs_freak91"][QUOTE="Tylendal"] Or you could just buy rechargeable batteries... Are there actually people who even still buy disposable batteries? o.OTylendal

Well, I started getting rechargeable batteries when the Wii launched. We now have about a dozen powering things throughout the house, and none of them have started dying yet. Good rechargeable batteries will cost you about eight bucks each, but they're still better value than no name brand disposables in the long run.

That seems it would become a lot more expensive than what the DS3 and Move are doing.

mgs_freak91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mgs_freak91
[QUOTE="Tylendal"][QUOTE="mgs_freak91"][QUOTE="Tylendal"] Or you could just buy rechargeable batteries... Are there actually people who even still buy disposable batteries? o.O

Mmm I guess. I don't know. The problem would be having a dozen chargers for more than a dozen batteries. I mean...you would need to keep spares when they die out and everything. I like having a stack of standard Energizer (or something else) batteries. So when something dies, I go put in a new battery. $8 each is a lot of money though. Especially when I can get like 10, maybe more, good brand batteries for that price. That's just me though. I do have some rechargeable batteries around the place.
Avatar image for TehKillzonelova
TehKillzonelova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TehKillzonelova
Member since 2010 • 253 Posts
[QUOTE="gago-gago"]

Thats great news :?
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Tylendal

[QUOTE="Tylendal"][QUOTE="mgs_freak91"] :O I'se buy some disposablessss! :) Why buy two rechargeable batteries plus the recharger, when I can buy heaps of disposable ones for cheaper. :P Not to mention that even rechargeable batteries will die out. MWAHAHAHHAA lx_theo

That seems it would become a lot more expensive than what the DS3 and Move are doing.

I suppose so. I think overall, I save money though, due to the multi-functionality. Granted, batteries for the DS or (I'm assuming) the PS3 are replaced for free once they start wearing out. I'm just saying I think rechargeables are very practical.
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lx_theo

[QUOTE="lx_theo"]

[QUOTE="Tylendal"] Well, I started getting rechargeable batteries when the Wii launched. We now have about a dozen powering things throughout the house, and none of them have started dying yet. Good rechargeable batteries will cost you about eight bucks each, but they're still better value than no name brand disposables in the long run.Tylendal

I suppose so. I think overall, I save money though, due to the multi-functionality. Granted, batteries for the DS or (I'm assuming) the PS3 are replaced for free once they start wearing out. I'm just saying I think rechargeables are very practical.

I guess its preference, because I find it easier to just plug in my PS3 controller when ever it needs some power.

necroscope2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 necroscope2
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
sony is going backwards
2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#38 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

Rechargable battries are more convenient for me .... recharge it all night, play with it all day ....... i can't imagine someone playing the 24 hr, Just dun forget to rechrge it when you turn off ur PS3, PROBLEM SOLVED.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

gago-gago

or else you can make sure to charge the Move controller when battery is half way down... why do people make such insignificant things a major problem... I always have 4 x batteries extra ready in case the ones in my Wii controller & 30 controller die.. Luckily considering the Move controllers charge via a simple usb cable, sometimes i charge them on my PC while using it for work/fun...

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

PSdual_wielder

I use rechargeable AAs. I like being able to hot swap them without having to tether. And it means my device will keep on working right up until it breaks. Li-Ions will eventually die. And the companies won't produce replacements forever. (this wouldn't be an issue if Lithium Ion batteries came in standard form factors, but alas they're proprietary)

Loco_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Loco_Live
Member since 2010 • 3147 Posts

gago-gago

Nice job spinning it into bad news. Enjoy having to rebuy AA batteries and hurting the enviorment with your Wii. Rechargable batteries are good.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ThePlothole

Nice job spinning it into bad news. Enjoy having to rebuy AA batteries and hurting the enviorment with your Wii. Rechargable batteries are good.

Loco_Live

And rechargeable AAs are great.

Though to be honest I wonder just how environmental friendly rechargeables really are. I mean the power coming from that plug in the wall still mostly generated from the burning of fossil fuels. And when that battery eventually dies (or even before then) most people just toss them in the garbage. Lithium is nasty stuff.

Loco_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Loco_Live
Member since 2010 • 3147 Posts

[QUOTE="Loco_Live"]

ThePlothole

I find that those don't last too long.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ThePlothole

[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="Loco_Live"]

Loco_Live

I find that those don't last too long.

You mean holding a charge? Then by Low self-discharge NiMHs. Sanyo's "eneloop" are one example of these. I use them for all my gear. Have never had to worry about them running dry when I need them.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

slight inconvenience that in the long time saves me money.I can live with that besides i just charge my PS3 pads off my laptop since its sitting next to me usually when im playing.

CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts
When not playing put it on a charger. Sony is coming out with their own charge station for the Move and I am sure there will also be a ton of 3rd party charging stations as well. You should be used to charging things in this day and age because everyone has cell phones now which of course require daily charging.
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

I usually just plug my controller into my pc and charge it there while I'm system warring.

This should only ever be an inconvenience if you've been playing for 24 hours in which case, you probably need a break regardless. Especially with the Move since it's a part of the new flail/waggle wave.

johnlennon28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 johnlennon28
Member since 2008 • 2158 Posts
charge your move controller on your pc, while your on gamespot forum
SoRawr2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SoRawr2
Member since 2010 • 255 Posts

then what does that make the Xbox 360 controller?

:lol:

Tyrant156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Tyrant156
Member since 2004 • 737 Posts

I can't believe I just read 5 pages about batteries, I want to murder you all.