Major inconvenience with the Playstation Move: battery charging?

• 133 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

I can't believe I just read 5 pages about batteries, I want to murder you all.

Tyrant156

Where did the extra two come from?

SoRawr2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 SoRawr2
Member since 2010 • 255 Posts

I can't believe I just read 5 pages about batteries, I want to murder you all.

Tyrant156

i can't believe it either, considering there's only 3 pages.

:lol:

Tyrant156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Tyrant156
Member since 2004 • 737 Posts

It says it's six now

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 lx_theo

It says it's six now

Tyrant156

Huh, do you have a setting adjusted to show less posts on a page than the pre-set amount?

Tyrant156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Tyrant156

[QUOTE="Tyrant156"]

It says it's six now

lx_theo

Huh, do you have a setting adjusted to show less posts on a page than the pre-set amount?

Beats me, I thought it looked the same for everyone
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

This is a good thing. We need to cut down on our battery waste anyways.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 lx_theo

[QUOTE="lx_theo"]

[QUOTE="Tyrant156"]

It says it's six now

Tyrant156

Some forums let you switch them up. Though if you haven't touched yours, adn I haven't touched my setting on the matter (which I haven't). Then I'm a bit lost on why... I don't know, regional differences perhaps?

Tyrant156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Tyrant156

[QUOTE="Tyrant156"][QUOTE="lx_theo"]

lx_theo

Some forums let you switch them up. Though if you haven't touched yours, adn I haven't touched my setting on the matter (which I haven't). Then I'm a bit lost on why... I don't know, regional differences perhaps?

Well I did just reinstalled my web browser...
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 lx_theo

[QUOTE="lx_theo"]

[QUOTE="Tyrant156"] Beats me, I thought it looked the same for everyoneTyrant156

That could make sense. I'm using Firefox, you're using whatever you have. I wouldn't know from experience, but its not exactly life altering or changing.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts

hakanakumono
Yep, even rechargeables add up. Either way I hate using any kind of batteries you insert yourself, built-in ones may have only a 3-3.5 year life span, but I don't mind spending $50 on a product every that many years.. its much better than having to either constantly buy or charge batteries. Most come with sets of 4 batteries (rechargeables I mean) and with 2 Wii-motes, that already means that I don't have any spare, and I'm not spending $30 on another pack of good quality rechargeables.
Tyrant156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Tyrant156

[QUOTE="Tyrant156"][QUOTE="lx_theo"]

lx_theo

That could make sense. I'm using Firefox, you're using whatever you have. I wouldn't know from experience, but its not exactly life altering or changing.

I'm using Firefox too but a previous version of the one I had before, I figured it would have auto sent me an update by now.
hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#62 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts

"Unlike the Wii Remote, which is powered by regular batteries (or in cases of third-party solutions a rechargeable battery pack), the Move is fuelled by the same lithium ion battery that runs your PlayStation 3's DualShock 3 controller, meaning it'll have plenty of shelf life between recharges. As a bonus, the Subcontroller also has a lithium ion battery."

If you only bought the bundle that comes with only one Move controller and you need to charge it. You would have to completely stop playing your game and wait till it charges, since you can't quickly change the battery like you do on the Wiimote. Same goes with the Moves secondary controller.

gago-gago
are you serious? How is that a negative.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts
[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

110million
Yep, even rechargeables add up. Either way I hate using any kind of batteries you insert yourself, built-in ones may have only a 3-3.5 year life span, but I don't mind spending $50 on a product every that many years.. its much better than having to either constantly buy or charge batteries. Most come with sets of 4 batteries (rechargeables I mean) and with 2 Wii-motes, that already means that I don't have any spare, and I'm not spending $30 on another pack of good quality rechargeables.

Thirty? You can get an eight-pack of eneloops for just twenty.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 lx_theo

[QUOTE="110million"][QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

ThePlothole

But at what quality?

nitsud_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 nitsud_19
Member since 2004 • 2519 Posts

Why dont you buy longer cables, i did.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="110million"] Yep, even rechargeables add up. Either way I hate using any kind of batteries you insert yourself, built-in ones may have only a 3-3.5 year life span, but I don't mind spending $50 on a product every that many years.. its much better than having to either constantly buy or charge batteries. Most come with sets of 4 batteries (rechargeables I mean) and with 2 Wii-motes, that already means that I don't have any spare, and I'm not spending $30 on another pack of good quality rechargeables. lx_theo

But at what quality?

They haven't let me down yet. And they're low-discharge style NiMHs, so I don't have to worry about them running out of juice if I just leave them in my devices for a few months.

KevinButlerVP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 KevinButlerVP
Member since 2010 • 2378 Posts
how is that in any way bad? my controller for my PS3 lasts sooo long, I can leae it for hours and hours I don't see how this is a problem
Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#68 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12351 Posts
Seriously I charge my DS3 like 5 minutes a day and the battery never ever goes below 2 bars even if I play 4 hours of RDR.
Santesyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#69 Santesyu
Member since 2008 • 4451 Posts
ahh no battery change needed just like the ps3 controller? thats a good thing.Totalgym9000
pretty much what this user said, thats one thing I didn't like about 360 was it gave you a wireless control and your options were to buy batteries or by the kit bundle. or buy a wired control. to much $$ being spend either or.
mackey25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 mackey25
Member since 2010 • 66 Posts

well they make chargers for the ps3. I have one and it charges 4 things at once. I have my 3 controllers and my blutooth, so i never have to worry about anything dying. But for people who dont have one why dont u just charge one while u use the other, then u wont have to worry about it.

88mphSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 88mphSlayer
Member since 2010 • 3201 Posts

"Unlike the Wii Remote, which is powered by regular batteries (or in cases of third-party solutions a rechargeable battery pack), the Move is fuelled by the same lithium ion battery that runs your PlayStation 3's DualShock 3 controller, meaning it'll have plenty of shelf life between recharges. As a bonus, the Subcontroller also has a lithium ion battery."

If you only bought the bundle that comes with only one Move controller and you need to charge it. You would have to completely stop playing your game and wait till it charges, since you can't quickly change the battery like you do on the Wiimote. Same goes with the Moves secondary controller.

gago-gago

i hate the wiimote's AA

and the 3rd party batteries take forever to recharge, while dualshock 3's take a pretty short amount of time

really... this is great news for the move, and i wish rechargeable batteries were standard in wiimotes

moose_knuckler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 moose_knuckler
Member since 2007 • 5722 Posts
I've never seen this as an inconvenience. The only once in a blue moon problem is if something happens to the ion battery inside and stops working all together which happens on rare ocassions.
catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts

This is a major convenience for me. I hate juggling around rechargeable AA batteries between 360, wii, and rock band controllers. It's much easier to just let it charge. Also, I'm assuming one wouldn't be using the move as the only way to play games anymore, so he or she could let it charge while playing with the regular controller.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Those batteries last for a extremely long time.. i am not concerned.. Inless your playing for like 10 to 12 hours straight, then you should take a break..
Deevoshun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Deevoshun
Member since 2003 • 868 Posts

Cool, I don't have to buy batteries all of the time

Mattizzle815

Nice sig, Chuck is full of WIN

Juken7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Juken7
Member since 2009 • 626 Posts

One of my biggest complaint with the Wii is having to change/charge batteries. So I see this as a good thing

boyinfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 boyinfridge
Member since 2006 • 1796 Posts

I dont see this as a problem I would charge it just like I do my current controller, check the battery life when its getting low charge it while watching a movie or playing a normal game its not gonna be a problem.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
can you charge your DS3 in your PC? never had to do so anyways lol
monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts

it also uses 3 light bulbs in each move* they wont last forever*and most of us only have 2 usb ports:( so one is for the ps3 eye and we will have to share charges with the normal controller. it really sucks my 60 gig died on me and i bought a 250 gig and it only had 2 usbs

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts

One of my biggest complaint with the Wii is having to change/charge batteries. So I see this as a good thing

Juken7
the wiimote eats batteries more then any other system. when i used to have mine. the controllers turned on so easy they ended up on alot when i didnt even have the system on. i use a 24 pack for 899 my 360. a set of 2 last over 2 weeks with alot of gametime.
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#81 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
[QUOTE="mgs_freak91"][QUOTE="Tylendal"][QUOTE="mgs_freak91"] :O I'se buy some disposablessss! :) Why buy two rechargeable batteries plus the recharger, when I can buy heaps of disposable ones for cheaper. :P Not to mention that even rechargeable batteries will die out. MWAHAHAHHAA

Well, I started getting rechargeable batteries when the Wii launched. We now have about a dozen powering things throughout the house, and none of them have started dying yet. Good rechargeable batteries will cost you about eight bucks each, but they're still better value than no name brand disposables in the long run.

Mmm I guess. I don't know. The problem would be having a dozen chargers for more than a dozen batteries. I mean...you would need to keep spares when they die out and everything. I like having a stack of standard Energizer (or something else) batteries. So when something dies, I go put in a new battery. $8 each is a lot of money though. Especially when I can get like 10, maybe more, good brand batteries for that price. That's just me though. I do have some rechargeable batteries around the place.

Why would you need a dozen chargers? >.> Most of the batteries are in devices, and then you've got four in the charger. That way I always have four batteries, same brand, same charge, all ready to go at any time. If something dies, I just switch out a couple of batteries. And there you go. I can use these batteries hundreds of times... certainly more uses than you could get for disposables.
Clank-PS-Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Clank-PS-Snake
Member since 2010 • 699 Posts
What the hell are you complaining about, it's much better than having to buy batteries and it's never been an issue for the PS3 controller.
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 ogvampire  Online
Member since 2008 • 9144 Posts

can you recharge the ps3 controller while the ps3 is off? or does the ps3 need to be on to recharge?

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#84 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20169 Posts

[QUOTE="lx_theo"]

The Dualshock 3 uses a cable connecting to the system to charge, still usuable while charging. You might want to rotate charges, but thats pretty minor.

The only problem is if you keep your PS3 in an inconvient place, but that would be a problem with the normal one too.

gago-gago

I'm not talking about the DS3, I'm talking about the Move. How are you going to play with the Move controller while it's wired?

So is the wiimote a major inconvenience? Anyway the difference for the most part is that you can probably pick up a DS3 while they charge and still play the game...

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 ogvampire  Online

[QUOTE="gago-gago"]

[QUOTE="lx_theo"]

The Dualshock 3 uses a cable connecting to the system to charge, still usuable while charging. You might want to rotate charges, but thats pretty minor.

The only problem is if you keep your PS3 in an inconvient place, but that would be a problem with the normal one too.

Zero_epyon

I'm not talking about the DS3, I'm talking about the Move. How are you going to play with the Move controller while it's wired?

So is the wiimote a major inconvenience? Anyway the difference for the most part is that you can probably pick up a DS3 while they charge and still play the game...

not sure what youre talking about, but the question is how will you play with the Move if you need to recharge it since the recharge cable is very short

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Zero_epyon

[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"]

[QUOTE="gago-gago"]I'm not talking about the DS3, I'm talking about the Move. How are you going to play with the Move controller while it's wired?

ogvampire

not sure what youre talking about, but the question is how will you play with the Move if you need to recharge it since the recharge cable is very short

Thread Title: "Major inconvenience with the Playstation Move: battery charging?" The wii needs to swap batteries or charge. Does that mean the controllers are a major inconvenience? And like I said, most of those games will probably be compatible with a ds3 which we should all have by now. Otherwise, take a break and let them charge. It's not like your gonna flail for 5 mins then have to put it down.
ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

[QUOTE="mgs_freak91"][QUOTE="Tylendal"] Or you could just buy rechargeable batteries... Are there actually people who even still buy disposable batteries? o.OTylendal
:O I'se buy some disposablessss! :) Why buy two rechargeable batteries plus the recharger, when I can buy heaps of disposable ones for cheaper. :P Not to mention that even rechargeable batteries will die out. MWAHAHAHHAA

Well, I started getting rechargeable batteries when the Wii launched. We now have about a dozen powering things throughout the house, and none of them have started dying yet. Good rechargeable batteries will cost you about eight bucks each, but they're still better value than no name brand disposables in the long run.

So you're saying buy 2 $8 batteries for Move, plus 2$8 batteries for the subcontroller, plus 4 more $8 batteries as replacements (so you can have them charging and swap them) plus a 4 battery charger for $30-$50 (for a good one). Even if you get a charger that comes with 4 batteries, you still need the 4 extras, so $50 + $32. You could buy a second move and second sub-controller for the same price. In other words, the whole argument here is pointless. Rechargable controllers > swapping rechargable batteries/battery packs > disposable batteries.

SwagSurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 SwagSurf
Member since 2009 • 3022 Posts

can you recharge the ps3 controller while the ps3 is off? or does the ps3 need to be on to recharge?

ogvampire

Is this a serious question? How in the world will the controller recharge when the console itself has not on :?

Other than that question, you can charge it just like the PS3 controller using a computer, tv, etc ;)

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50636 Posts

[QUOTE="lx_theo"]

gago-gago

I have a 16ft USB cord...not hard...

People try and make a big deal over such minor details.

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 ogvampire  Online

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"] So is the wiimote a major inconvenience? Anyway the difference for the most part is that you can probably pick up a DS3 while they charge and still play the game...

Zero_epyon

Thread Title: "Major inconvenience with the Playstation Move: battery charging?" The wii needs to swap batteries or charge. Does that mean the controllers are a major inconvenience? And like I said, most of those games will probably be compatible with a ds3 which we should all have by now. Otherwise, take a break and let them charge. It's not like your gonna flail for 5 mins then have to put it down.

point is:

when the wiimote needs recharging, you can just put in new batteries.

when the Move needs recharging, you become tethered to the ps3 with a short wire... kinda tough to use the Move at that point since its motion sensing and you will be moving it around...

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 ogvampire  Online

[QUOTE="gago-gago"]

[QUOTE="lx_theo"]

Chutebox

there arent any 'big deals' if you bought stuff to make up for what missing

ps3 doesnt come with a 16ft usb cable...

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 ianuilliam

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

SwagSurf

Is this a serious question? How in the world will the controller recharge when the console itself has not on :?

Other than that question, you can charge it just like the PS3 controller using a computer, tv, etc ;)

The PS3 needs to be in standby, but doesn't need to be 'on', or you can use any powered usb socket to charge them (usb ports on a pc, usb wall chargers, etc.) and any length of USB cord for playing while charging, unless you are swinging the controller aroun too much for the plug to stay in.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Chutebox  Online

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

[QUOTE="gago-gago"]I'm not talking about the DS3, I'm talking about the Move. How are you going to play with the Move controller while it's wired?

ogvampire

ps3 doesnt come with a 16th usb cable..

it doesn't come with a lot of things, so what? It's not a big deal, spend a little money of you are going to play video games for 10 hours straight.
Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Zero_epyon

[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"][QUOTE="ogvampire"]

ogvampire

point is:

when the wiimote needs recharging, you can just put in new batteries.

when the Move needs recharging, you become tethered to the ps3 with a short wire... kinda tough to use the Move at that point since its motion sensing and you will be moving it around...

Use a longer cable, take a break or use a DS3. It's not a big deal here.
ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 ianuilliam

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

ogvampire

If you want to play and charge on other systems you have to buy extra stuff too, and 16' usb cable is cheaper than buying batteries or battery packs for wii or 360.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Zero_epyon

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

ogvampire

Wiimotes don't come with spare batteries. You have to buy those. Chances are the money you spend on replacements total up to more than than longer wire.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Chutebox  Online

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

[QUOTE="Chutebox"] I have a 16ft USB cord...not hard...

ianuilliam

If you want to play and charge on other systems you have to buy extra stuff too, and 16' usb cable is cheaper than buying batteries or battery packs for wii or 360.

Good point, you have to buy extra batteries.
RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 RavenLoud
Member since 2009 • 2874 Posts
[QUOTE="Loco_Live"]

Nice job spinning it into bad news. Enjoy having to rebuy AA batteries and hurting the enviorment with your Wii. Rechargable batteries are good.

ThePlothole

And rechargeable AAs are great.

Though to be honest I wonder just how environmental friendly rechargeables really are. I mean the power coming from that plug in the wall still mostly generated from the burning of fossil fuels. And when that battery eventually dies (or even before then) most people just toss them in the garbage. Lithium is nasty stuff.

Sorry, but you act as if rechargeables never die if they're not lithium. I believe that the back of my Nickel hybrid metal rechargeables says that it will last for about 150 full recharges. (which should be about 3 years). It depends on the quality of the batteries though. I personally find the built-in batteries to be more convenient. I think you can send it back to Sony if the batteries die someday too (don't quote me on that though). I use a 9ft. USB cable if I want to charge while playing. There is nothing wrong with batteries, but they still add an invisible layer of price behind the controllers (even rechargeables cost 10~20$). Maybe that's why I wasn't shocked at Move's prices (which are pretty much exactly what I expected, If I was Sony however, I would include the subcontroller in the 100$ Move bundle too though)
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 ogvampire  Online

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

[QUOTE="Chutebox"] I have a 16ft USB cord...not hard...

Zero_epyon

Wiimotes don't come with spare batteries. You have to buy those. Chances are the money you spend on replacements total up to more than than longer wire.

rechargable batteries work for more things than just the wiimote...

got 8 of them years ago, use them for alot of things...