Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59019 Posts

Subjugated.

http://www.pcgamer.com/mafia-3-appears-to-be-locked-to-30fps-on-pc/

We received Mafia 3 code this afternoon, and I've started work on the review. But I noticed that the controls felt kinda sluggish, before realising that, if my Fraps readings (and my eyes) are correct, the game is locked to 30fps.

I thought maybe my PC just couldn't handle it, so I shifted down 720p and the lowest graphics settings, but it was still locked to 30. I'm running a GTX 970, an i5-6600K overclocked to 4.5GHz, and 16GB of RAM, which should be more than enough. And it still happens when I disable the in-game vsync option.

So yeah, not great. Whether this is something that'll be fixed in a day one patch, or will be sorted via a forthcoming graphics driver update, remains to be seen, but as it stands it feels like Lincoln is trudging through sludge as I walk around the (very pretty) city of New Bordeaux. We've reached out to 2K to see what the deal is.

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#2 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

#PCMasterRace

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

disgusting don't see how the dev can get away with it with the gtx 1080 available to the public

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Awesome.

More money I get to save.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

Noooooo! There will be a patch or something but as always devs treat the PC like shit.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17434 Posts

Hopefully its fixed by tomorrow.....

2K said a fix was coming

LINKY

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#7 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

christ, thats not good news. Hopefully there is at least a workaround to fix that

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

And if it wasn't for PC mafia game wouldn't be around.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56139 Posts

It's worth pointing out that a 30fps lock is a big red flag that this is a super lazy port job, chances are, it's probably some ini change too, further exemplifying how lazy the port is. As long there are no crashes, bugs or glitches but it'll probably still end up with a negative review anyways.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46348 Posts

Was really looking forward to this game

What a downer :(

@davillain- said:

It's worth pointing out that a 30fps lock is a big red flag that this is a super lazy port job, chances are, it's probably some ini change too, further exemplifying how lazy the port is. As long there are no crashes, bugs or glitches but it'll probably still end up with a negative review anyways.

If it's not some ini-change, and it's hard coded, which it looks like it is, that means it's an even worse port :/

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I'm not playing this at 30fps, I have £50 in my steam account that will now be spent elsewhere

nygamespotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nygamespotter
Member since 2016 • 523 Posts

If this really is a cap and not some driver level v-sync option the author forgot to disable them this is disgusting.

Unacceptable in this day and age.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9400 Posts

ooooo.... gotta hate that. Sounds like someone got lazy.....

Heh. Surprised we didn't hear of this sooner.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22378 Posts

@Sweetbackhair said:

#PCMasterRace

Lol.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

disgusting don't see how the dev can get away with it with the gtx 1080 available to the public

Not that the GTX 1080 or even 1070 is needed for high performance gaming. Expensive cost aside, 60 fps has already been possible with older cards like the GTX 960 and R9 380 (solid settings at 1080p) or even the GTX 700 series before that. Can even go further back than that I'm sure.

Better to say 30 fps shouldn't pass inspection with the tech that's been available for years, let alone the new tech today.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7705 Posts

welp is it refund time, I have that sucker pre-ordered

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#18  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17812 Posts

I wasn't planning on getting the game anytime soon. So, it will probably be patched when I have time to play it. But yeah... 30fps is pathetic and I refuse to buy the game until it runs at least 60fps.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#19  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24936 Posts
Loading Video...

WOW enemy AI???

game is disaster. steam reviews are very very negative.

Tommy Angelo crying on his grave.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a8875b6c648f
deactivated-5a8875b6c648f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5a8875b6c648f
Member since 2015 • 954 Posts

Reasons to not pre-order, Exhibit A

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:

WOW enemy AI???

Yeah but all they're complaining about is 30fps.

Edit: Seems a couple of people are experiencing crashes as well.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#22 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59019 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
Loading Video...

WOW enemy AI???

Loading Video...

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#23 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

I refuse to buy the game until it is 120 fps.

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

Wow glad i didn't pre order it now.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

As long as I blink half as often as I normally do while playing this game, I believe that'll offset the loss of frame rate.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By navyguy21

Hopefully just an ini edit, ill fix that myself

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26648 Posts

I knew I was leery about this game for some reason... Didn't pre-order it, and that AI video looks incredibly janky.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44574 Posts

patch is coming, sad though people think the game is unplayable in such a state though

on the upside, GameSpot did their own Xbox One livestream of it, and I'm impressed by the performance on the weaker system and that's what I'm getting it on, no doubt PS4 even will have a better performance and I'm sure Digital Foundry will be all over that if they're not already with their zoomed in still shots and analytic frame counter to let us know what our normal human eyes can't see, and 30fps isn't horrible for PC, on that end if you got the rig then you at least can run it at max settings and whatever, have a much better looking game on an unwavering 30fps, and make due until the higher framerate supports are available

still though, PC master races need to stop acting like such reactionary crybabies, they're basically taking this game down into No Man's Sky review territories on Steam off such a petty issue that's already being addressed

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DragonfireXZ95

@lamprey263 said:

patch is coming, sad though people think the game is unplayable in such a state though

on the upside, GameSpot did their own Xbox One livestream of it, and I'm impressed by the performance on the weaker system and that's what I'm getting it on, no doubt PS4 even will have a better performance and I'm sure Digital Foundry will be all over that if they're not already with their zoomed in still shots and analytic frame counter to let us know what our normal human eyes can't see, and 30fps isn't horrible for PC, on that end if you got the rig then you at least can run it at max settings and whatever, have a much better looking game on an unwavering 30fps, and make due until the higher framerate supports are available

still though, PC master races need to stop acting like such reactionary crybabies, they're basically taking this game down into No Man's Sky review territories on Steam off such a petty issue that's already being addressed

It's a major AAA game that achieved its stardom on PC. If they screwed up the PC port, then it deserves to get slain.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lamprey263

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@lamprey263 said:

It's a major AAA game that achieved its stardom on PC. If they screwed up the PC port, then it deserves to get slain.

jeez, cry harder will you, in no way is this game remotely unplayable on PC and they'll be addressing these concerns promptly

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DragonfireXZ95

@lamprey263 said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@lamprey263 said:

jeez, cry harder will you, in no way is this game remotely unplayable on PC and they'll be addressing these concerns promptly

Yes, telling me to cry harder is so mature. I don't even have the game. I'm just coming in from an unbiased angle.

They know PC gamers will pitch a fit if there is a 30 fps lock; if they don't see it coming, then they're blind to the fanbase.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

The car physics look terribad, pass.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@chikenfriedrice said:

Noooooo! There will be a patch or something but as always devs treat the PC like shit.

I bets users do it before developer will. Still exited for game.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

@Heil68: Me too, have it preloaded :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
deactivated-5efed3ebc2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
Member since 2006 • 923 Posts

Forza Horizon 3 stuttering and shit performance when NOT locked on 30fps, now Mafia III directly LOCKED to 30fps... Well, thank you consoles!

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mr_Huggles_dog

@lamprey263 said:

Sure thing.

When console games get capped at 10fps bc "reasons" you can act like it doesn't bother you.

Until then mind your own business.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

Quick, somebody blame it on UWP!

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

This game is gonna be shit, but you all just lap it up...

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 navyguy21

UPDATE [10/6 / 6PM PT]: We currently have a patch running here at the studio that includes 30, 60, and unlimited frames-per-second options in the video menu, among other improvements for the PC version of Mafia III. We’re verifying the patch now to ensure everything is working as expected. If everything goes well, we expect the update to go live this weekend. We will be keeping the PC community up-to-date on the status of the patch throughout the weekend and thank you for all the feedback!

LINK

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lamprey263

@mr_huggles_dog said:
@lamprey263 said:

Sure thing.

When console games get capped at 10fps bc "reasons" you can act like it doesn't bother you.

yeah, like that'll is that even remotely close to the situation with PC gamers have with the game, keep whining guys

BTW, read post above, situation is fixed, but I guess that won't stop people from whining nonstop about a non-issue

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

The fact this shit is still happening when even Japanese devs porting their titles to pc have started giving 60fps options is just mind boggling.

Like, how the hell can you be this incompetent at your job while being a AAA developer in this industry? seriously how the ****.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Well just had my first crash. After that brawl at the restaurant with the Haitians, Clay went to talk to his dad and Ellis during a cutscene. Then the game just crashed to desktop lol. 46 minutes played.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mr_Huggles_dog

@lamprey263 said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:
@lamprey263 said:

Sure thing.

yeah, like that'll is that even remotely close to the situation with PC gamers have with the game, keep whining guys

BTW, read post above, situation is fixed, but I guess that won't stop people from whining nonstop about a non-issue

You missed the point entirely.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Mr_Huggles_dog

I just wanted to come back in here and express how disappointed I am.

i loved Mafia 2 and I'm from New Orleans originally so was kinda excited.

But now it's just not worth it.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Howmakewood

Found this from gaf that might help with the blurrines:

http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/6203/

Pretty striking difference with a simple sharpening filter

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Played about 40 mins worth and really reay enjoyed it on pc, yes 60 frames will be way better but it is in no way unplayable at 30, things still feel smooth, I didn't mind the graphics, physics of car, menus and button mapping is really funny until I got uaed to it. Moat importantly the story seems to be there.

I understand peoples anger as they should had done more with the port, but in no way would I refund this, the game is totally playable in its current state, its still fun.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#48  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@PCgameruk said:

Wow glad i didn't pre order it now.

your loss bud

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46348 Posts

@eliminatorpaige said:

PS4 then.

PC is getting 60fps and unlimited FPS patch this weekend.

When is mafia III on PS4 getting 60fps ?

@howmakewood said:

Found this from gaf that might help with the blurrines:

http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/6203/

Pretty striking difference with a simple sharpening filter

Seems like a color filter, not a blur filter.

Anyway, I just spend over an hour in this game, it does not look blurry to me :/

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Howmakewood

@R4gn4r0k: "basically saturates some of the colors and adds sharpness." so yes it does alter the colors too but there is sharpening effect too, which is clearly visible in those pics