Madden only 30FPS on PS3 - Who's fault is it?

• 173 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ImagineGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ImagineGamer
Member since 2007 • 644 Posts
Who's fault is it?
Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Redfingers
Member since 2005 • 4510 Posts

Jesus. Okay, the platform has proven to be capable of 30 FPS at higher resolutions than 720p and 60 FPS at higher resolutions than 720p. As far as I can tell, the platform is 100% capable of running the game at full speed at 1080p.

And the Edge tools theoretically should have leveled the playing field between first party and third party devs (keep in mind third parties have proven the capability of the platform already). So Sony has eased it's obligations at this point.

However, that Madden 08 is playing at 30 and 60 FPS on the PS3 platform....you have to split the blame. EA isn't putting forth the necessary effort, let's say the capital, to take advantage of the platform the way Sony intended. However, the Playstation 3, as some have commented, is an unnecessarily difficult platform. As Carmack said, although it is certainly capable of leveraging power with some authority, it requires a substantial effort on part of the developers. Well, they are EA, and in many ways they're kind of the lowest common denominator, so if they can't do it, you can't really be surprised. However, it speaks ill for the platform for being unnecessarily difficult.

At the same time I believe Madden was running at 30 FPS last year on 360 and this is the first year (am I correct about this?) that Madden is appearing on the PS3. So it could be that EA has simply had more time to work on the 360 platform than the Xbox 360 platform and that they were better able to leverage the Xbox 360 is completely reasonable and not entirely their fault at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
I'd say a little of both. The ps3 obviously has the hardware to produce high quality graphics at solid framerates. The limiting factors on both the 360 and the ps3 is how developers utilize the hardware not the hardware itself. So EA certainly could have done a better job of that, but in the same sense, it would be nice if the ps3 was a little easier to program for.
TheOwnerOner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheOwnerOner
Member since 2007 • 2921 Posts

Maybe if Sony supplied better developement tools, they'll get better results from game makers,

Right now I see it as eating soup with a fork.

You put in 3Xs more effect to get the same results as you would on the 360.

Now, why would you put in more work with fewer payoffs?

ImagineGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ImagineGamer

Jesus. Okay, the platform has proven to be capable of 30 FPS at higher resolutions than 720p and 60 FPS at higher resolutions than 720p. As far as I can tell, the platform is 100% capable of running the game at full speed at 1080p.

And the Edge tools theoretically should have leveled the playing field between first party and third party devs (keep in mind third parties have proven the capability of the platform already). So Sony has eased it's obligations at this point.

However, that Madden 08 is playing at 30 and 60 FPS on the PS3 platform....you have to split the blame. EA isn't putting forth the necessary effort, let's say the capital, to take advantage of the platform the way Sony intended. However, the Playstation 3, as some have commented, is an unnecessarily difficult platform. As Carmack said, although it is certainly capable of leveraging power with some authority, it requires a substantial effort on part of the developers. Well, they are EA, and in many ways they're kind of the lowest common denominator, so if they can't do it, you can't really be surprised. However, it speaks ill for the platform for being unnecessarily difficult.

At the same time I believe Madden was running at 30 FPS last year on 360 and this is the first year (am I correct about this?) that Madden is appearing on the PS3. So it could be that EA has simply had more time to work on the 360 platform than the Xbox 360 platform and that they were better able to leverage the Xbox 360 is completely reasonable and not entirely their fault at all.

Redfingers

i thought next-gen doesnt start till sony says so? isn't PS3 supposed to make 360 look last-gen? what went wrong with teh cell?

RotaryRX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 RotaryRX7
Member since 2003 • 7184 Posts

Well, according to most Lemmings, it's 100% the PS3's fault and this "proves" its an inferior console. Yeah...good logic huh? :roll:

RotaryRX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RotaryRX7
Member since 2003 • 7184 Posts
[QUOTE="Redfingers"]

ImagineGamer

i thought next-gen doesnt start till sony says so? isn't PS3 supposed to make 360 look last-gen? what went wrong with teh cell?

Wow, you proved my point exactly....You just don't understand, and you're making flame bait just so you are able to say "teh cell". If you think it's all the PS3's fault you are wearing blinders to the world. Wake up.

swanlee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 swanlee
Member since 2002 • 248 Posts
It's Sony's fault for not giving developers the proper support to code and optimize on the PS3. Telling your Development partners "We can get sports games to run at 60FPS why can't you?" is no exactly helping the developers. They also are to blame for making the PS3 so hard to develop for in the first place. Being hard to develop for is a very bad quality for yearly Sports titles like Madden which are on a VERY tight time budget. Sony are also to blame for pricing the PS3 so high that it has a tiny user base that most devs don't feel is worth the extra time and money to cater to. It all falls on Sony for this.
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#9 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

I highly doubt Madden 08 (of all games) is taxing the PS3 so much that 60 fps wouldn't have been possible. But, it really depends on the development tools Sony has provided. If the toolds were not up to par, that could be a contributing factor.

At the end of the day, I think the developers should take most of the blame for this.

casey7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 casey7672
Member since 2006 • 5348 Posts
You forgot "non of the above" in your poll. That's my answer, so I didn't vote. PS3 version is fine.
MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts
this poll is completely atrocious.
ImagineGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ImagineGamer
[QUOTE="ImagineGamer"][QUOTE="Redfingers"]

RotaryRX7

Wow, you proved my point exactly....You just don't understand, and you're making flame bait just so you are able to say "teh cell". If you think it's all the PS3's fault you are wearing blinders to the world. Wake up.

so you're saying it's not PS3's fault that it gets the inferior version? :?

ImagineGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ImagineGamer

I highly doubt Madden 08 (of all games) is taxing the PS3 so much that 60 fps wouldn't have been possible. But, it really depends on the development tools Sony has provided. If the toolds were not up to par, that could be a contributing factor.

At the end of the day, I think the developers should take most of the blame for this.

The_Game21x

yeah, blame the devs, that's what sony does all the time eh?

Sir-Marwin105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Sir-Marwin105
Member since 2007 • 3785 Posts

Maybe if Sony supplied better developement tools, they'll get better results from game makers,

Right now I see it as eating soup with a fork.

You put in 3Xs more effect to get the same results as you would on the 360.

Now, why would you put in more work with fewer payoffs?

TheOwnerOner
What if the soup has noodles?;)
casey7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 casey7672
Member since 2006 • 5348 Posts

this poll is completely atrocious.MikeE21286

Yep!

Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Soulja_West
Member since 2003 • 15084 Posts
If sony can do it, then other developers should be able to.
JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts
The PS3 is also capable of doing 1 and 5 FPS so what's your point? The fact is it can't handle the same level of detail as the 360 at 60FPS. The 360 is more powerful. There was a Madden on PS3 last year and it compared favorably to the 360 version but it appears they have made no progress since then with the hardware. Too bad so sad.
Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dualshockin
Member since 2006 • 7826 Posts
[QUOTE="swanlee"]It's Sony's fault for not giving developers the proper support to code and optimize on the PS3. Telling your Development partners "We can get sports games to run at 60FPS why can't you?" is no exactly helping the developers. They also are to blame for making the PS3 so hard to develop for in the first place. Being hard to develop for is a very bad quality for yearly Sports titles like Madden which are on a VERY tight time budget. Sony are also to blame for pricing the PS3 so high that it has a tiny user base that most devs don't feel is worth the extra time and money to cater to. It all falls on Sony for this.

Ask yourself this very simple question:Can the Ps3 produce sports games that run at 60FPS? If the answer is yes,then your logic has no legs to stand on.
mmirza23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mmirza23
Member since 2004 • 3457 Posts
The PS3 is also capable of doing 1 and 5 FPS so what's your point? The fact is it can't handle the same level of detail as the 360 at 60FPS. The 360 is more powerful. There was a Madden on PS3 last year and it compared favorably to the 360 version but it appears they have made no progress since then with the hardware. Too bad so sad.JiveT
last year's madden was a rushed port kinda like madden 06 on 360, so if madden 09 isnt 60fps as madden 08 is on 360 then you can say the ps3 is the inferior console, plus what details are missing from the ps3 version aside from the framerate difference? they're pretty much visually identical.
ImagineGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ImagineGamer

[QUOTE="swanlee"]It's Sony's fault for not giving developers the proper support to code and optimize on the PS3. Telling your Development partners "We can get sports games to run at 60FPS why can't you?" is no exactly helping the developers. They also are to blame for making the PS3 so hard to develop for in the first place. Being hard to develop for is a very bad quality for yearly Sports titles like Madden which are on a VERY tight time budget. Sony are also to blame for pricing the PS3 so high that it has a tiny user base that most devs don't feel is worth the extra time and money to cater to. It all falls on Sony for this.Dualshockin
Ask yourself this very simple question:Can the Ps3 produce sports games that run at 60FPS? If the answer is yes,then your logic has no legs to stand on.

so why isnt madden 60fps on PS3, let along 120fps?

Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Dualshockin
[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

ImagineGamer

Show me a direct instance where Sony are blaming the devs. Quite frankly,not only does your poll fail at providing an unbiased voting platform,but your posts are not showing anything worth discussion.
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts

Redfingers

Yep, pretty much.

Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Dualshockin

[QUOTE="Dualshockin"][QUOTE="swanlee"]It's Sony's fault for not giving developers the proper support to code and optimize on the PS3. Telling your Development partners "We can get sports games to run at 60FPS why can't you?" is no exactly helping the developers. They also are to blame for making the PS3 so hard to develop for in the first place. Being hard to develop for is a very bad quality for yearly Sports titles like Madden which are on a VERY tight time budget. Sony are also to blame for pricing the PS3 so high that it has a tiny user base that most devs don't feel is worth the extra time and money to cater to. It all falls on Sony for this.ImagineGamer

Madden-Made by EA. Ps3-Made by Sony. And you're honestly trying to claim it is Sony's fault that the game runs at 30FPS?
kittykatz5k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#24 kittykatz5k
Member since 2004 • 32249 Posts
It's EA's fault mainly, but also a PS3 problem in the fact that building a gmae for ps3 is harder than building one for 360.
mmirza23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mmirza23

[QUOTE="Dualshockin"][QUOTE="swanlee"]It's Sony's fault for not giving developers the proper support to code and optimize on the PS3. Telling your Development partners "We can get sports games to run at 60FPS why can't you?" is no exactly helping the developers. They also are to blame for making the PS3 so hard to develop for in the first place. Being hard to develop for is a very bad quality for yearly Sports titles like Madden which are on a VERY tight time budget. Sony are also to blame for pricing the PS3 so high that it has a tiny user base that most devs don't feel is worth the extra time and money to cater to. It all falls on Sony for this.ImagineGamer

why wasnt madden 07 on 360 60fps? it takes time to learn the system, if you claim the 360 is developer friendly why wasnt madden 07 60fps? the ps3 is even more difficult to develop for and EA probably figured its not worth the extra time and money to push it to 60fps when the install base is so small, madden 09 will be 60fps on all platforms you can quote me on that.
Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Redfingers

It's Sony's fault for not giving developers the proper support to code and optimize on the PS3. Telling your Development partners "We can get sports games to run at 60FPS why can't you?" is no exactly helping the developers. They also are to blame for making the PS3 so hard to develop for in the first place. Being hard to develop for is a very bad quality for yearly Sports titles like Madden which are on a VERY tight time budget. Sony are also to blame for pricing the PS3 so high that it has a tiny user base that most devs don't feel is worth the extra time and money to cater to. It all falls on Sony for this.swanlee

Read my post. They didn't give them proper support to code and optimize, they gave them the code. Like as in they said "here you go, here's the code. Have fun."

It's called the Edge Tools and that's literally what it is.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10631 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

ImagineGamer

well if epic can get UT3 to run at 60fps, why can't EA??!?!?!? simple as that
Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Dualshockin
[QUOTE="ImagineGamer"]

[QUOTE="Dualshockin"][QUOTE="swanlee"]It's Sony's fault for not giving developers the proper support to code and optimize on the PS3. Telling your Development partners "We can get sports games to run at 60FPS why can't you?" is no exactly helping the developers. They also are to blame for making the PS3 so hard to develop for in the first place. Being hard to develop for is a very bad quality for yearly Sports titles like Madden which are on a VERY tight time budget. Sony are also to blame for pricing the PS3 so high that it has a tiny user base that most devs don't feel is worth the extra time and money to cater to. It all falls on Sony for this.mmirza23

why wasnt madden 07 on 360 60fps? it takes time to learn the system, if you claim the 360 is developer friendly why wasnt madden 07 60fps?

His logic has so many holes it is,quite simply,laughable. Blaming Sony for a game they don't make is equivalent to blaming the Weatherman for a thunderstorm.
caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#29 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts
Microsoft spokesmen Peter Moore is now the President of EA sports. Enough said.
Coldplay07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Coldplay07
Member since 2002 • 4513 Posts
I think it's EA's fault this time. We've seen developers that are much much smaller than EA produce great looking games at the framerate needed. 60FPS is needed for sports games and if EA can't support that then they need to do some more work.
-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 -Spock-
Member since 2006 • 7072 Posts

I don't think it's EA or Sony's fault. The difficulty of developing on next-gen systems is the main problem. And yes, that does include the Xbox 360 too -- they took three attempts to reach 60 frames-per-second on Micorsoft's box. I expect they'll take the same amount of time to yield similar results on the PS3. After all, Madden NFL 08 only marks their second attempt at PlayStation 3 Madden development.

Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Redfingers

Okay, I'm not sure what Sony said at E3 2005. Did they say "all games will run at 120 FPS!" or did they say "our platform is capable of running games at 120 FPS!"?

There's a big difference. If they said "all games will run at 120 FPS!" that's PR spin, pure and simple, and that's already been proven wrong, we get it. You can't use PR spin to prove your point because even on it's best day it's hyperbole. If they said "our platform is capable of running games at 120 FPS!"....um, yeah. It is. If it can run a game like Lair in 1080p at 30 FPS there is no doubt in my mind that the platform is capable of running any kind of game, assuming it's well optimized, with a lower level of detail at or above 120 FPS. PC gamers do it all the time. Some guy told me he was running 200+ FPS on Counter Strike Source with a 7900.

ImagineGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ImagineGamer
[QUOTE="ImagineGamer"]

[QUOTE="Dualshockin"][QUOTE="swanlee"]It's Sony's fault for not giving developers the proper support to code and optimize on the PS3. Telling your Development partners "We can get sports games to run at 60FPS why can't you?" is no exactly helping the developers. They also are to blame for making the PS3 so hard to develop for in the first place. Being hard to develop for is a very bad quality for yearly Sports titles like Madden which are on a VERY tight time budget. Sony are also to blame for pricing the PS3 so high that it has a tiny user base that most devs don't feel is worth the extra time and money to cater to. It all falls on Sony for this.Dualshockin

Madden-Made by EA. Ps3-Made by Sony. And you're honestly trying to claim it is Sony's fault that the game runs at 30FPS?

the 360 version is 60fps, why isnt the ps3 version?

Sir-Marwin105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sir-Marwin105
[QUOTE="Dualshockin"][QUOTE="ImagineGamer"]

the 360 version is 60fps, why isnt the ps3 version?

Why isn't it EA?
legendbyname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 legendbyname
Member since 2007 • 361 Posts

you should do some research before you all start crapping out of your mouths. Insomniac games have release developer tools for example

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=127428 

Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Dualshockin
Microsoft spokesmen Peter Moore is now the President of EA sports. Enough said.caseypayne69
I also have some other theories concerning this issue,is it just me or did Peter Moore at E3 announcing Madden ran twice as fast this year seem a bit suspicious?
ImagineGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ImagineGamer

Microsoft spokesmen Peter Moore is now the President of EA sports. Enough said.caseypayne69

:lol: now EA's biased as well?

Sir-Marwin105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Sir-Marwin105
[QUOTE="caseypayne69"]Microsoft spokesmen Peter Moore is now the President of EA sports. Enough said.Dualshockin
I also have some other theories concerning this issue,is it just me or did Peter Moore at E3 announcing Madden ran twice as fast this year seem a bit suspicious?

How the hell was is suspicious? By then everyone knew it was 60 FPS on the 360.
Avatar image for deactivated-57a12126af02c
deactivated-57a12126af02c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-57a12126af02c
Member since 2007 • 3290 Posts
Why is Gears only 30fps on 360? Why does Forza 2 have so many Jaggies? Is it MS fault?
Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Dualshockin
the 360 version is 60fps, why isnt the ps3 version?ImagineGamer
http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/home.php?p_sid=bpt-t3Ji I believe this is where you need to start.
ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10631 Posts

[QUOTE="caseypayne69"]Microsoft spokesmen Peter Moore is now the President of EA sports. Enough said.ImagineGamer

again, when have a successful madden been developed for the next-gen consoles??!?!?!?
swanlee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 swanlee
Member since 2002 • 248 Posts
"Why isn't it EA?" Maybe because other Football games like APF 2K8 aren't running at 60FPS on the PS3 like it is for the 360? Is it 2k Sports fault to that they couldn't get 60FPS on the PS3 even though they could for the 360? 2K sports haven't doen a football game on either the 360 or the PS3 before and they still got the 360 version to 60 FPS. There a pretty obvious trend of games getting delayed on the PS3 and multi plat games running worse on the PS3. Are you going to blame EVERy dev that makes multi plat games or maybe we should blame the company that made a console to difficult to make games for and to expensive to garner a user base worth going to extra mile for.
Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Dualshockin
[QUOTE="Dualshockin"][QUOTE="caseypayne69"]Microsoft spokesmen Peter Moore is now the President of EA sports. Enough said.Sir-Marwin105

How the hell was is suspicious? By then everyone knew it was 60 FPS on the 360.

It is suspicious because it is a very unnecessary detail to make known,what would that announcement benefit the people in attendance?
Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Dualshockin

[QUOTE="caseypayne69"]Microsoft spokesmen Peter Moore is now the President of EA sports. Enough said.ImagineGamer

No,but if you believe Peter Moores new position at EA has no whatsoever effect on the future multi-plat games,then you're in for a surprise.
ImagineGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ImagineGamer
[QUOTE="ImagineGamer"]

[QUOTE="caseypayne69"]Microsoft spokesmen Peter Moore is now the President of EA sports. Enough said.Dualshockin

No,but if you believe Peter Moores new position at EA has no whatsoever effect on the future multi-plat games,then you're in for a surprise.

cows always find excuses for PS3's failure :lol:

Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Redfingers
Why is Dynasty Warriors Gundam running at a worse framerate on the 360 than the PS3 according to Gamespot? Chinese riddle for you.
Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Dualshockin
[QUOTE="swanlee"]"Why isn't it EA?" Maybe because other Football games like APF 2K8 aren't running at 60FPS on the PS3 like it is for the 360? Is it 2k Sports fault to that they couldn't get 60FPS on the PS3 even though they could for the 360? 2K sports haven't doen a football game on either the 360 or the PS3 before and they still got the 360 version to 60 FPS. There a pretty obvious trend of games getting delayed on the PS3 and multi plat games running worse on the PS3. Are you going to blame EVERy dev that makes multi plat games or maybe we should blame the company that made a console to difficult to make games for and to expensive to garner a user base worth going to extra mile for.

"The developers that say it's too hard to develop for and complain about it are missing the point. It sounds like an excuse to the consumer to us."-Yosuke Hayashi,director of Ninja Gaiden Sigma. I wonder,what are your thoughts on the multi-plats that look better on the Ps3?
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts
[QUOTE="ImagineGamer"]

That's your problem, 360 owners are fine with Moore in an executive position at EA. Someday the PS3 will catch up in quality and on that day I will start buying the PS3 versions of multiplats. Until then my $60 is going towards 360 titles. So far my PS3's biggest contribution to my entertainment has been as a HD upscaler for PS2 titles.
Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Dualshockin
[QUOTE="Dualshockin"][QUOTE="ImagineGamer"]

cows always find excuses for PS3's failure :lol:

If you believe stating an obvious fact is an excuse,then you clearly have little knowledge of the industry.
mmirza23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mmirza23
"Why isn't it EA?" Maybe because other Football games like APF 2K8 aren't running at 60FPS on the PS3 like it is for the 360? Is it 2k Sports fault to that they couldn't get 60FPS on the PS3 even though they could for the 360? 2K sports haven't doen a football game on either the 360 or the PS3 before and they still got the 360 version to 60 FPS. There a pretty obvious trend of games getting delayed on the PS3 and multi plat games running worse on the PS3. Are you going to blame EVERy dev that makes multi plat games or maybe we should blame the company that made a console to difficult to make games for and to expensive to garner a user base worth going to extra mile for.swanlee
i agree to an extent sony is half to blame for this but if certain developers are able to achieve 60fps on the system where these guys cant on the platform, you have to put some blame on them too for not trying hard enough or putting enough effort into it, most likely for financial reasons seeing as though they wont make enough of a profit on the ps3 so why make the extra effort for a game that wont sell.