Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance the best handheld Kingdom Hearts?

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts

I picked up Dream Drop Distance yesterday and it is a fantastic game. Love every bit of it so far, but I'm wondering what other people think. Dream Drop Distance is great, but is it the best handheld Kingdom Hearts? I feel that it is so far. Unlike 358/2 and Re:Coded the story is confirmed to be very important to what will happen in the events of Kingdom Hearts 3. Also it directly ties to the prequel Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep. Now I personally think that its a two game battle between Dream Drop Distance and Birth By Sleep. Both are very important to the Kingdom Hearts story in general unlike other handheld releases. Both games look great, and feel more like console Kingdom Hearts. Although I haven't quite played enough of either Birth By Sleep or Dream Drop Distance to completely judge, so far I feel Dream Drop Distance is the superior game. I really felt it was the best combat system out of all the Kingdom Hearts released so far with flow motion combat and reality shifts. Also the Dream Eaters add another layer of customization to squad members, and also make very creative and new boss battles. Although the drop system is annoying at times, I love the idea of playing as both Riku and Sora, going through the same story, just on two different paths. Although Birth By Sleep had fantastic graphics for PSP Dream Drop Distance is clearly better, which it should be since its on a more powerful system, but the environments are less bland, every character are very colorful, and all the battle animations are very flashy. It looks very nice, also there are a huge variety of different enemies. Personally I think Dream Drop Distance is the best looking Kingdom Hearts yet. Now what are your opinions, they are both fantastic games.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

I haven't played BBS but so far it smacks the ever loving sh*t out of 358/2 days.

I just made it to Prankster's Paradise and I'm loving it.

Second_Hokage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Second_Hokage
Member since 2011 • 1104 Posts

Is it worth a 3DS? I'm almost giving in, but i don't want to regret it.

Inotian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Inotian
Member since 2012 • 274 Posts

It's gonna be difficult to beat BBS. THAT was a fun game.

But I've heard good reports about this game, so we'll see.

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

I cant see it beating CoM.

killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 killerband55
Member since 2003 • 107961 Posts

i prefer 358/2 Days better, the multiplayer is 1000x better, and overall just a better game

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

To be honest I think I enjoyed Chain of Memories on the GBA more, followed by Birth By Sleep.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
Kingdom Hearts is a cancer upon gaming. Square Enix should be tried for crimes against humanity.
Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts

I'm definately gonna pick it up when the XL releases and see.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="princeofshapeir"]Kingdom Hearts is a cancer upon gaming. Square Enix should be tried for crimes against humanity.

Are you retarded?

Enjoy your moderation.
Second_Hokage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Second_Hokage
Member since 2011 • 1104 Posts
[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"][QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="princeofshapeir"]Kingdom Hearts is a cancer upon gaming. Square Enix should be tried for crimes against humanity.

Are you retarded?

Enjoy your moderation.

Taking the easy way out huh? Coward, face him!
WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"]Kingdom Hearts is a cancer upon gaming. Square Enix should be tried for crimes against humanity.YoshiYogurt
Are you retarded?

How is that even valid? you're calling him retarded for him having a different opinion than you?

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

I would say Birth By Sleep is better, just slightly.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#15 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I'm not too far in yet to give my opinion but I've gotta say that FlowMotion is actually pretty cool for combat. Story is really a jumbled mess in the beginning too, worse than it is in past games. But everything will resolve itself in time and I'm sure it will be a stellar title.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

birth by sleep wins just on the fact that it explains how everything started and how it all began. Dream drop distance is just a example of them milking that kingdom hearts booby hard. I still don't understand why the need to take the mark of mastery exam to become full fledge keyblade masters. I wouldn't be surprised if kairi got her own game on the vita "if you see the ending of dream drop distance you see what i mean"

FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FPS1337

Is it worth a 3DS? I'm almost giving in, but i don't want to regret it.

Second_Hokage
It really depends, I love my 3DS a lot, and the 3DS XL should be worth your money. Its hard for me to recommend a system for just 1 game, but I can tell you this is a really fantastic Kingdom Hearts, likely the best handheld Kingdom Hearts, and one of the best of the entire series. If you really love Kingdom Hearts, then this game will be great, it has the best combat of the series, it has much better story telling then previous games, the graphics are great and I really like everything about it. I think a 3DS XL would be a good investment, with games like Zelda, Super Mario 3D Land, Star Fox, Metal Gear Solid, Kid Icarus, Resident Evil, Dead or Alive, Street Fighter, Tales of the Abyss, Tekken there's bound to be some other titles on the 3DS that you might like. Also New Super Mario Bros. 2, Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion 2 and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow-Mirrors of Fate are right on the horizon. That is just breaking the surface If there is a handheld Kingdom Hearts worth buying a console over, Dream Drop Distance would be the one, its important to the story line, as it directly has to do with Birth By Sleep, and it leads up to Kingdom Hearts 3. Also the timing couldn't be any better, the 3DS XL releases in North America August 19th, I recommend you buy that instead, of course the normal 3DS is still worth it if you want to save $50 on your handheld and you need to play the game this moment.
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FPS1337

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="princeofshapeir"]Kingdom Hearts is a cancer upon gaming. Square Enix should be tried for crimes against humanity.WiiMan21

Are you retarded?

How is that even valid? you're calling him retarded for him having a different opinion than you?

No its not just an opinion. He said its a cancer among gaming yet several people love the game. Also he is clearly trolling as the topic is about Kingdom Hearts and what the best handheld Kingdom Hearts is and he comes into the topic and directly insults the games. We don't care that he doesn't like it, but why does he have to do it in a topic about Kingdom Hearts. Its not his opinion, its him being a troll.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Sure, but none of the other handheld KH games are particularly impressive.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
[QUOTE="WiiMan21"]

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"] Are you retarded?FPS1337

No its not just an opinion. He said its a cancer among gaming yet several people love the game. Also he is clearly trolling as the topic is about Kingdom Hearts and what the best handheld Kingdom Hearts is and he comes into the topic and directly insults the games. We don't care that he doesn't like it, but why does he have to do it in a topic about Kingdom Hearts. Its not his opinion, its him being a troll.

KH is a good RPG for kids(and adults). It's in no way a "cancer" upon gaming. Each new title is great. I was clearly angry at his ignorance and crossed the line a little.
layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts

Haven't played BBS, but if I had to guess I would say BBS is the best, this game just has a horrible way of shifting between spells in the command deck, I mean I've died countless times, because I have to move my hand off the nub to switch to cure, not to mention I've died while using cure. Can anyone give me a tip to help me beat Tron. Still a great game, love the disney worlds, and combat is still great.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Kingdom Hearts is a cancer upon gaming. Square Enix should be tried for crimes against humanity.princeofshapeir

No game is a cancer upon gaming.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts
I'm in about 10 hours so far and birth by sleep is slightly better. Kingdom hearts is notorious for its bad camera but Ive never had any problems with it in any game until i played dream drop distance. (need to get control pad pro) Also the drop system can be borderline annoying. And combining attacks in birth by sleep was way less cumbersome than using these ability links. Despite these short comings it is much better than the two ds games.
Avatar image for EndlessPunisher
EndlessPunisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 EndlessPunisher
Member since 2005 • 1390 Posts
Picked it up today, little bit overwhelmed at first since they added a lot to the plate, but I got the hang of it. I noticed some of the reviews about this game calls the story confusing, but I've yet to find it that way. Then again I've beaten and played every KH. Edit: Not far enough in the game to answer that question directly, but to me BBS is still somewhat better as of right now.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Chain of Memories is the only KH game on handhelds that doesn't get a resounding "meh" from me.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
BBS is far and away the best KH game I have played
NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts
Birth By Sleep still holds that crown for me, but I'm only about two hours into DDD. I can say with confidence its a better time than 358/2 Days, though I found myself enjoying that a little more than most. The "Panel" system from Days is far and away my favorite KH leveling concept. The Dream Eaters thing... eh... it's adorbs but not the snappiest way to allocate some points.
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Hell yes, heck it might even be the best KH game (maybe not story wise through, because the Mementos system is kind of crappy). Gameplay is fantastic; the flowmotion and the customizing of your Dream Eaters are great additions to it and makes it more tactical and fun. I seriously can't wait to finalize a Dream Eater team(or a couple). Also love how vast the worlds are, I mean jeez they even top KH1 worlds. I was worry about the Drop system but so far I haven't have any issue with it.

DNAbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DNAbro
Member since 2010 • 377 Posts

I have played every single Kingdom Hearts game and I have to say DDD might become my new favoirte. Flowmotion was an absolutely genius gameplay mechanic that allows the developers to created much more open and creative spaces. The fighting is great and so far the story is interesting (finally moving it forward).

So DDD probably is the best handheld KH.

NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts

Hell yes, heck it might even be the best KH game (maybe not story wise through, because the Mementossystem is kind of crappy). Gameplay is fantastic; the flowmotion and the customizing of your Dream Eaters are great additions to it and makes it more tactical and fun. I seriously can't wait to finalize a Dream Eater team(or a couple). Also love how vast the worlds are, I mean jeez they even top KH1 worlds. I was worry about the Drop system but so far I haven't have any issue with it.

Wanderer5
The Drop system is sweet. It makes the game playable in little chunks. Since you have different character ambitions for Sora and Riku it's exciting to drop into a character and reassume your own mental task list. Makes the pacing quick and fun.
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Wanderer5

Haven't played BBS, but if I had to guess I would say BBS is the best, this game just has a horrible way of shifting between spells in the command deck, I mean I've died countless times, because I have to move my hand off the nub to switch to cure, not to mention I've died while using cure. Can anyone give me a tip to help me beat Tron. Still a great game, love the disney worlds, and combat is still great.

layton2012

You can put cure/potions on the top of the deck and just simply press the left D-pad to go to that command. Also if you having problems trying to heal while fighting Tron (he is pretty fast), have Moew Wow in your party because it has leaf bacer which lets you use cure without taking damage. As for Tron, ah do the hit and run effect I guess (that how I did it ). I suggest you try to mostly avoid him when you go upside down and have cure set.

Oh and I suggest everyone to use their R and R Seal, because it gives you Second Chance early on in its ability link.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="princeofshapeir"]Kingdom Hearts is a cancer upon gaming. Square Enix should be tried for crimes against humanity.WiiMan21

Are you retarded?

And the guy he quoted has a valid point?:lol:

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 layton2012

[QUOTE="layton2012"]

Wanderer5

You can put cure/potions on the top of the deck and just simply press the left D-pad to go to that command. Also if you having problems trying to heal while fighting Tron (he is pretty fast), have Moew Wow in your party because it has leaf bacer which lets you use cure without taking damage. As for Tron, ah do the hit and run effect I guess (that how I did it ). I suggest you try to mostly avoid him when you go upside down and have cure set.

Oh and I suggest everyone to use their R and R Seal, because it gives you Second Chance early on in its ability link.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot later today.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

Also a point I forgot to mention, and many people also seem to pass by, is that BBS was the first KH that made you play a bit more strategically instead of just mashing the regular attack button. The command system worked wonders to that effect, and still made the game pretty fun. They managed to not lose any speed or tension in the battles while gaining a big healthy dose of strategy (in using the right commands and WHEN you were supposed to use them), which was pretty great IMO and just for that deserves quite a bit of credit in the whole KH saga.

Not sure if Dream Drop Distance works that way as well, but I hope so. It's another step (or evolution if you prefer) in the right direction. Would love to see a console KH or a main KH game with similar system. Button mashing, especially in KH2 took quite a bit of the challenge even in harder difficulties.

Desmonic
if we are talking about the kh with the most strategic combat that would go to chain of memories but i see what your saying
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Shinobishyguy
I thought the drop system was going to be a pain in the ass, but it's so easy to buy loads of drop-me-nots from item shops that it never really becomes that much of a problem
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FPS1337
I'm in about 10 hours so far and birth by sleep is slightly better. Kingdom hearts is notorious for its bad camera but Ive never had any problems with it in any game until i played dream drop distance. (need to get control pad pro) Also the drop system can be borderline annoying. And combining attacks in birth by sleep was way less cumbersome than using these ability links. Despite these short comings it is much better than the two ds games.Ghost120x
I find Dream Drop Distance's camera control to be by far the best in the Kingdom Hearts Series. I use the circle pad pro, but even in the demo where I didn't it was a lot easier then Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2. The circle pad pro uses the 2nd analog stick as camera control rather then spell selector, in which it should be. On the PS2 I always used the d-pad to select spells anyways.
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

Imo, its the best KH game I have played. It doesn't feel rushed or half arsed (which most hand held KH games are) but polished with a great conclusion (again, something missing in other KH games.) I loved the idea behind "flowmotion," though the controls for it were horrible but you get used to them eventually. The controls in every KH game are piss poor, its one of the biggest reasons why they score low on GS but you would think they would bother fixing that by now.

But it was really solid, I was so surprised how gorgeous it looked in 3D, easily my favorite 3d usage that I've seen on the 3ds (Revelations was too strong imo.)

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Wanderer5

Just enter Country of the Musketeers and I really like its field theme. The series has amazing music (some of the best video game music to me), and 3D isn't a exception. And have you guys took pictures of your Dream Eaters?:P Think the AR is a pretty nice feature here:

hni0004g.jpg
cannonballq.jpg
cyberdeer.jpg

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#43 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

I loved KH 1 and 2. Both got 9's from me which is hard to do.

I skipped CoM cause I dont really play GBA games anymore, I tried 358/2 days and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Traded that in and I have passed on every KH game ever since because to me seems like Square is pulling story holes out of its arse in the name of the buck.

But 3D does look interesting to say the least. I might keep my eye on it. What I really want is KH3 over these constant portable games that fill in story holes.

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#44 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

KH3D all day but BBS is my fav PSP RPG.

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 layton2012

I loved KH 1 and 2. Both got 9's from me which is hard to do.

I skipped CoM cause I dont really play GBA games anymore, I tried 358/2 days and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Traded that in and I have passed on every KH game ever since because to me seems like Square is pulling story holes out of its arse in the name of the buck.

But 3D does look interesting to say the least. I might keep my eye on it. What I really want is KH3 over these constant portable games that fill in story holes.

svaubel
KH3 is practically confirmed to be next, if you read the end of game message.
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#46 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

After 358/2 Days I know that KH on a DS is NOT for me. Birth by sleep is best followed by Chain of Memories.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Wanderer5

After 358/2 Days I know that KH on a DS is NOT for me. Birth by sleep is best followed by Chain of Memories.

Masenkoe

Don't judge 3D by the DS ones if that what you meant. It is definitely more comparable to BBS.

killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 killerband55
Member since 2003 • 107961 Posts

you people really like that "dive" mode in Dream Drop Distance to be voting for that game

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Wanderer5

you people really like that "dive" mode in Dream Drop Distance to be voting for that game

killerband55

Honestly the Dive parts are just okay. I love the music that plays on the non boss ones through.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Shinobishyguy

I just beat the symphony of sorcery level.

This game probably has the best levels of any kingdom hearts game :shock: