Kinect sells 2.5 Million in first 25 days

• 165 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kenmid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 kenmid
Member since 2003 • 483 Posts

Great Numbers so far

Earlier this month we announced that Kinect hit the million mark in 10-days. We got some new numbers to share: With the help of Black Friday last week, Kinect has now sold over 2.5 Million units around the world

http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/11/29/kinect-sells-2-5-million-in-first-25-days.aspx

Discuss

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#2 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
*Shakes head* I wonder how many copies Motion Sports sold.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
4.5 million by years end.
Diviniuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#4 Diviniuz
Member since 2009 • 6460 Posts
Grats to MS
kenmid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kenmid

4.5 million by years end.MFDOOM1983

If they get to 4.5 million, I think that will be good. So much for Kinect failing

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#6 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
That is VERY impressive. But my question is: How many people have already felt that they got their money's worth by now? And how buyers are still waiting to get their money's worth? I mean we're talking $150 peripheral. Surely, not everyone could have felt they got their money's worth already.
Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

That's pretty good.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

If they get to 4.5 million, I think that will be good. So much for Kinect failing

kenmid

Anyone assuming Kinect would fail in sales needs serious help. Failing in software line-up and utilization of the motion controller is a different story though :P

kenmid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kenmid

[QUOTE="kenmid"]

lundy86_4

Anyone assuming Kinect would fail in sales needs serious help. Failing in software line-up and utilization of the motion controller is a different story though :P

way b4 Kinect launch, they're a lot people on these boards saying Kinect will fail

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MFDOOM1983

[QUOTE="kenmid"]

lundy86_4

It seems to have tons of support from the mod community and the initial launch line-up featured some good games. I'm interested in those announced Japanese "core" games.
Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

I'm honestly pretty surprised that they've made their 100k/day sale rate.

Still, judging by the stacks of Kinects still available at big box stores, they might not make their 5 million units by 2011 goal.

kenmid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kenmid

That is VERY impressive. But my question is: How many people have already felt that they got their money's worth by now? And how buyers are still waiting to get their money's worth? I mean we're talking $150 peripheral. Surely, not everyone could have felt they got their money's worth already.wiifan001

if you look at comsumer reviews amazon, newegg, bestbuy reviews, most people seem to enjoy their purchase of Kinect. I know 150 is a lot of money, but what for your getting I think its worth it. The Rock Band and Gutiar Hero sold at 150 when they were launch. Which one do you think has the better value.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
I'm curious if it will push hardware sales, and if MS will reach its goal of 5M before the year's end.
General909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 General909
Member since 2007 • 541 Posts
[QUOTE="wiifan001"]That is VERY impressive. But my question is: How many people have already felt that they got their money's worth by now? And how buyers are still waiting to get their money's worth? I mean we're talking $150 peripheral. Surely, not everyone could have felt they got their money's worth already.

It feels like i got my money's worth. I have a 4 year old kid that loves to play. It will keep her active in the winter.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MFDOOM1983
I for one definitely got my moneys worth this past thanksgiving holiday. Kinect was a huge hit with my family, friends and i.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

way b4 Kinect launch, they're a lot people on these boards saying Kinect will fail

kenmid

Yup, naturally. MS marketed well and released at a pretty good time (close to Thanksgiving and Christmas).

It seems to have tons of support from the mod community and the initial launch line-up featured some good games. I'm interested in those announced Japanese "core" games.MFDOOM1983

The mod community has done some really cool stuff. I actually really enjoyed Kinect Sports, but i'll wait to see what games are offered further down the road before I buy one.

rawr89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rawr89
Member since 2010 • 1746 Posts

oh wait, it's the guy that said they sold 42 million 360's, then Sony said they sold 41 million PS3, and then this guy 'corrected' the mistake and posted 45 million 360 units. :lol:

bigboss5ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 bigboss5ak
Member since 2007 • 2962 Posts
Thats incredible holy smokes i didn't expect that much in just 25 days. And thats probably not even counting black friday sales since it was so recent. Kinect is a success so much for the haters. We haven't even hit december christmas shopping yet
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

Kinect a success? No way, but all the haters in SW were saying it was gonna fail. What happened?

Its on pace for 4.5 - 5 million before the end of the year.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

After spending $500 million on convincing people to buy that gimmick, it would be embarrassing if it didn't sell millions.

kenmid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kenmid

After spending $500 million on convincing people to buy that gimmick, it would be embarrassing if it didn't sell millions.

AnnoyedDragon

Can you honestly said that you see that many Kinect commericals? the only ones I really see is the Burger King commerical, I see more Move commericals then I see Kincent.

SilentlyMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SilentlyMad
Member since 2009 • 2093 Posts
I'm curious if it will push hardware sales, and if MS will reach its goal of 5M before the year's end.IronBass
Well in less then one month it is 1/2 there and there is still all the days of Nov not counted including black friday and also dec. Seems a good shot at this point.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#23 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts
Wowsers. That's a lot of Kinects.
EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

*Shakes head* I wonder how many copies Motion Sports sold. biggest_loser

Hopefully they picked up Kinect Sports instead.

bigboss5ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bigboss5ak

AnnoyedDragon
Lol wow and to think just earlier today in another thread i said when the MS numbers roll out watch the damage control about kinects marketing budget lol
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AnnoyedDragon

Can you honestly said that you see that many Kinect commericals? the only ones I really see is the Burger King commerical, I see more Move commericals then I see Kincent.

kenmid

I've seen plenty of kinect commercials, including trial systems in the super markets like Tesco.

Regardless, we know they spend $500m just in advertising.

Lol wow and to think just earlier today in another thread i said when the MS numbers roll out watch the damage control about kinects marketing budget lolbigboss5ak

So let me get this straight. Because you predicted something that was pretty obvious, it magically loses all value as a criticism?

kenmid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kenmid

[QUOTE="kenmid"]

AnnoyedDragon

I've seen plenty of kinect commercials, including trial systems in the super markets like Tesco.

actually, we don't know how there spending 500m, it could be over year, it could be over 10 years, we don't know. And I don't know what Tesco is.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AnnoyedDragon

actually, we don't know how there spending 500m, it could be over year, it could be over 10 years, we don't know. And I don't know what Tesco is.

kenmid

You're right about the first part, still doesn't change it is a ridiculous sum of money; that could have gone to actual games. In regard to the second part; Tesco is a big UK retailer, think our Wallmart.

bigboss5ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bigboss5ak

[QUOTE="kenmid"]

AnnoyedDragon

Lol wow and to think just earlier today in another thread i said when the MS numbers roll out watch the damage control about kinects marketing budget lolbigboss5ak

So let me get this straight. Because you predicted something that was pretty obvious, it magically loses all value as a criticism?

Im just saying if your (not you directly just haters) are going to say kinect will flop than stick to that. But when it doesn't and your wrong don't bring out the damage control by talking about its marketing budget it just makes you look silly. Its either going to flop or its not
dachase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dachase
Member since 2005 • 808 Posts

I dont care for its sales numbers, doesnt change the fact that its rubbish and not made for real gamers.....and yes i have played it

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts

thats not that good. dont think they will reach 5 million by years end

kenmid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kenmid

[QUOTE="kenmid"]

AnnoyedDragon

You're right about the first part, still doesn't change it is a ridiculous sum of money; that could have gone to actual games. In regard to the second part; Tesco is a big UK retailer, think our Wallmart.

you're right, it's a ridiculous sume of money, I was just saying I don't see that much advertiment.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AnnoyedDragon

Im just saying if your (not you directly just haters) are going to say kinect will flop than stick to that. But when it doesn't and your wrong don't bring out the damage control by talking about its marketing budget it just makes you look silly. Its either going to flop or its notbigboss5ak

I don't like the motion sensors being pushed by consoles, any of them. So keep that in mind before suggesting I'm criticising kinect just because it is a Microsoft brand motion sensor.

It is getting my criticism at this particular moment, because they are probably spending more money on marketing Kinect; than they have spent developing every Halo game combined. I consider it a waste of money that could have been invested on consoles actual purpose, games.

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts

[QUOTE="bigboss5ak"]Im just saying if your (not you directly just haters) are going to say kinect will flop than stick to that. But when it doesn't and your wrong don't bring out the damage control by talking about its marketing budget it just makes you look silly. Its either going to flop or its notAnnoyedDragon

I don't like the motion sensors being pushed by consoles, any of them. So keep that in mind before suggesting I'm criticising kinect just because it is a Microsoft brand motion sensor.

It is getting my criticism at this particular moment, because they are probably spending more money on marketing Kinect; than they have spent developing every Halo game combined. I consider it a waste of money that could have been invested on consoles actual purpose, games.

wait a second kinect doesnt play games??? what about what sony spent or took away away from the ps3 game system to add that blu ray player:wink: ps3 woulda een a beast with just a little more ram and coulda done alot more game wize then what blu ray has done so far
DarkStraberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DarkStraberry
Member since 2009 • 572 Posts
The important question here is how many 360 Kinect helped push because the most important issue here is console sale numbers.
gensigns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gensigns
Member since 2007 • 1495 Posts

[QUOTE="AnnoyedDragon"]

[QUOTE="kenmid"]

kenmid

Actually we do - they've already said it was for an 18 month campaign for both Kinect and Window Mobile 7

AbleFa3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AbleFa3
Member since 2010 • 901 Posts

And that number is with some huge shortages, in fact would have sold double or triple if it was not sold out everywhere

So, if MS can provide stock, will definatly reach 5-10 million sales this holiday

TOAO_Cyrus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TOAO_Cyrus1
Member since 2004 • 2895 Posts

And that 2.5 million is in the 25 days BEFORE the Christmas shopping season which is from black Friday to Christmas eve. Even if they only keep up that pace they will easily make 5 million by years end, I expect them to break that target.

EDIT: It seems the 2.5 million includes black Friday sales so maybe they aren't on track to break 5 million but they will certainly reach it.

AbleFa3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AbleFa3

The important question here is how many 360 Kinect helped push because the most important issue here is console sale numbers. DarkStraberry

Actually xbox 360 is sold out completly in US Amazon right now, not a single xbox 360 in stock, so my guess is that has helped 360 sell 10x more than it normally would

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-4GB-Console/dp/B003O6JKLC/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1291059227&sr=1-1

Also Kinect sales are important, since the more gamers own Kinect, the more developers will make games for it

hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts
Didn't move sell that much as well in the first month? I'm basing this off of the Wikipedia article.
Avatar image for coolnessmancool
coolnessmancool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 coolnessmancool
Member since 2005 • 1405 Posts

I dont care for its sales numbers, doesnt change the fact that its rubbish and not made for real gamers.....and yes i have played it

dachase

And what do you classify as a real gamer. Everyone starts by playing casual games then they move on to more "hardcore" games.

Grovilis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#42 Grovilis
Member since 2008 • 3728 Posts

Not that I'm a huge fan of the Kinect, but I always found it a bit ridiculous when people started saying that it wouldn't sell well. My local Bestbuy has both the Kinect and the Move sitting side-by-side for the customers to try out and there's always a line for the Kinect while the Move collects dust. I'm always hearing people in the background saying stuff like "Wait, are you telling me that you don't have to use a controller? I have to get this!" Kinect is simply more appealing to the masses.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MFDOOM1983
Didn't move sell that much as well in the first month? I'm basing this off of the Wikipedia article.hexashadow13
I believe so but keep mind sony counts each device individually. A household only needs 1 kinect while another with move could potentially have 2 move wands, 2 sub controllers and a camera(not sure if sony actually counts this). On a business side of things MS makes more profit with each sold if rumors are correct. I personally expect them to put up similar hardware numbers though. It's wait and see for software though.
crystos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 crystos
Member since 2003 • 1040 Posts
people need to stop hating. kinect is very interesting to me. developers can actually show some real new stuff on this
AbleFa3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 AbleFa3

Didn't move sell that much as well in the first month? I'm basing this off of the Wikipedia article.hexashadow13

Move numbers were shipped

Also Kinect was out of stock since launch and sold out everywhere, if MS had 10 million out, would have been sold by now too

Also xbox 360 is sold out everywhere too, it is impossible to find them online in US

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#46 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]4.5 million by years end.kenmid

lol everyone knew it would succeed, it's the thing in general that just plain sucks... And how many of them are american i would like to know... 2mill probably.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MFDOOM1983
[QUOTE="kenmid"]

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]4.5 million by years end.JohnF111

lol everyone knew it would succeed, it's the thing in general that just plain sucks... And how many of them are american i would like to know... 2mill probably.

Are you usually this negative on things you haven't invested time in?
sireclaborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 sireclaborn
Member since 2008 • 1305 Posts

[QUOTE="hexashadow13"]Didn't move sell that much as well in the first month? I'm basing this off of the Wikipedia article.AbleFa3

Also Kinect was out of stock since launch and sold out everywhere, if MS had 10 million out, would have been sold by now too

Also xbox 360 is sold out everywhere too, it is impossible to find them online in US

wrong.... first of all its not like there's 2.5 million kinect in consumer homes...by now you should understand that shipped =sold....second kinect was not sold out everywhere..if anything it sold well but it wasnt sold out
JStroud88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JStroud88
Member since 2009 • 626 Posts

[QUOTE="hexashadow13"]Didn't move sell that much as well in the first month? I'm basing this off of the Wikipedia article.AbleFa3

Sorry, I am a kinect fan and everything but that is ridiculous.

All of our local gamestop's/walmarts/bestbuys have maintained stock of Kinect. Microsoft has been shipping them like crazy to make sure they're in stock. Also, it should be noted I am around big cities. Denver-Colorado Springs area.

Even when I picked up my kinect there were huge stacks of them.

The sales are great, but let's not be unrealistic. If there were 10 million at launch atleast 5-6 million of those would be sitting on shelves until Later next year.

AbleFa3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 AbleFa3

[QUOTE="kenmid"]

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]4.5 million by years end.JohnF111

It is the most advanced motion controls on the market by miles, so how does it suck ?

It is also getting 12+ hardcore games in future, made only for Kinect