Keyboard and Mouse: ALWAYS better than controllers? (Poll)

• 128 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ryan_Som

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Ryan_Som
Member since 2009 • 2474 Posts

Let me just clarify this: I grew up playing consoles.

It's not that I hate PC gaming. I've just never had a PC that can run anything. I've planned on trying to get a gaming PC for a while now, but only recently had my first experience gaming on one (my friend's, from which I'm typing this now). I got the Left 4 Dead 2 demo off of Steam. I own the first game for 360, which I played a lot, so the only thing standing in my way was the control scheme...NOT being unfamiliar with how the game works.

After playing it a couple times and getting used to the feel of it, I can definitely say that KB/M is superior (controlwise) in every way. Granted, I still love the experience of kicking back on a couch and play with friends, but for straight control you can't beat KB/M for FPS.

After that though, I downloaded the Batman: Arkham Asylum demo. Now, I've already Platinumed this game (not bragging, just saying that I put a lot of time in on it with a controller). I had a sneaking suspicion that it would feel kind of awkward clicking to attack. After playing it, that's basically where I stood. I didn't have any problem getting through it. It just "felt" weird.

In the end, I'm of the opinion that KB/M is the best choice for FPS...along with other obvious nods like RTS, certain RPGs, etc. Dual analog seems like the best setup for third-person action games.

Do you guys feel the same? Have the same experience?

thecreechxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 thecreechxxx
Member since 2003 • 745 Posts
[QUOTE="Ryan_Som"]

Let me just clarify this: I grew up playing consoles.

It's not that I hate PC gaming. I've just never had a PC that can run anything. I've planned on trying to get a gaming PC for a while now, but only recently had my first experience gaming on one (my friend's, from which I'm typing this now). I got the Left 4 Dead 2 demo off of Steam. I own the first game for 360, which I played a lot, so the only thing standing in my way was the control scheme...NOT being unfamiliar with how the game works.

After playing it a couple times and getting used to the feel of it, I can definitely say that KB/M is superior (controlwise) in every way. Granted, I still love the experience of kicking back on a couch and play with friends, but for straight control you can't beat KB/M for FPS.

After that though, I downloaded the Batman: Arkham Asylum demo. Now, I've already Platinumed this game (not bragging, just saying that I put a lot of time in on it with a controller). I had a sneaking suspicion that it would feel kind of awkward clicking to attack. After playing it, that's basically where I stood. I didn't have any problem getting through it. It just "felt" weird.

In the end, I'm of the opinion that KB/M is the best choice for FPS...along with other obvious nods like RTS, certain RPGs, etc. Dual analog seems like the best setup for third-person action games.

Do you guys feel the same? Have the same experience?

Sure, for RPGS, shooters and stuff. I had to say both though because they're not to good with fighting games.
Ryan_Som

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ryan_Som

Sure, for RPGS, shooters and stuff. I had to say both though because they're not to good with fighting games.thecreechxxx

I'm of the belief that fighters should either be played with an arcade stick or a good controller.

-Tretiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -Tretiak
Member since 2007 • 2416 Posts

For shooters and RTS games, yeah. For everything else, no. But then that's why I bought a 360 controller too, which is fully compatible with Windows.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts
The fact that a mouse is so much more precise than an analog stick is why it's superior.
glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Both have their limitations. Thats why PC rules because you can use both.

HOMIE_G64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 HOMIE_G64
Member since 2005 • 1482 Posts
Give me a controller for fighting games and racing games, but there is a reason why so many 360 and PC multi-plat FPS don't have cross-platform play. It isn't even a contest between an experienced dual-analog player and an experienced mouse-and-keyboard player.
Snagal123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Snagal123
Member since 2006 • 3524 Posts

Almost always, even controller designed games like Batman, Assassins Creed and Prototype imo felt much better on a mouse and keyboard due to the more freedom the mouse gives for moving the camera around, it just feels alot more natural to me, but ive always used m/kb.

Fighters and racing games are the only genres i can think of that i really much prefer a controller for, even then i know people who use a keyboard for them.

CrAppyF33ling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CrAppyF33ling
Member since 2009 • 1665 Posts

just for strategy games and fps, but for CoD I would use the controllers

drakecool1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 drakecool1
Member since 2009 • 1145 Posts

not for me I prefer controller just for the simple reason that I don't like to be to close to the screen, even though k/m feels good and the aiming is great the controller just has a feel to it.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Keyboard/mouse is undoubtably the best control system for everything except fighters, where arcade set-ups reign supreme. Also, racers, where wheels rule the land.

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts
Overall, KB/M is a better setup mostly for the preciseness (I probably made that word up) and overall level of customization you can perform. 'Course it all depends on how the game was designed. Some simply play better with one or the other. The beauty of it is you can use both. Woo for compatibility, amirite?
CrAppyF33ling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CrAppyF33ling
Member since 2009 • 1665 Posts

sad how wiimote gets none

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
Define "better". More precise? Keyboard and mouse, in my opinion. More comfortable? Dual analog gamepad, in my opinion. I care more about being comfortable than I do about being precise, so for me, it's a gamepad. Others may prefer precision over comfort, and so choose the mouse.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Define "better". More precise? Keyboard and mouse, in my opinion. More comfortable? Dual analog gamepad, in my opinion. I care more about being comfortable than I do about being precise, so for me, it's a gamepad. Others may prefer precision over comfort, and so choose the mouse.lowe0

If you find the right mouse, it can be 10x more comfortable than a controller ever could be.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
For shooters , RTS, point and click an some other genres yes but not always
Snagal123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Snagal123
Member since 2006 • 3524 Posts

Define "better". More precise? Keyboard and mouse, in my opinion. More comfortable? Dual analog gamepad, in my opinion. I care more about being comfortable than I do about being precise, so for me, it's a gamepad. Others may prefer precision over comfort, and so choose the mouse.lowe0

And some may find the mouse and keyboard more comfortable and choose comfort and precision :P

Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Scoob64
Member since 2008 • 2635 Posts

Poll is a bit odd, due to the fact that keyboard/mouse is necessary for an RTS- and IMO preferable for a FPS...

but a platformer, fighter, or racer is of course better with a controller...

isn't this already common sense??

Avatar image for tehsystemwarior
tehsystemwarior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tehsystemwarior
Member since 2009 • 1812 Posts
The way I look at it: Controller is more comfortable then kb/m Mouse is Better For FPS then right stick. Rest of controller beats keyboard. In terms of CONTROLLERs, controller beats kb/m at racers, but I think there is a better selection of wheels for PC TPS, Controller wins all around Plat former, controller wins Sports controller wins RTS kb/m wins IMO
glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

This is correct but it is only part of the enigma, because what good is this so called precision in a fighter or what is so comfortable in having to press a button to open a menu just so that you can press the same button again to open a sub menu and then you have to go option by option until you reach the desired one.

Avatar image for heysharpshooter
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 heysharpshooter
Member since 2009 • 6348 Posts

I pretty much agree with common knowledge, although I prefer a controller for FPS.

However, I think it is more the game than the genre. I played AC on my friends PC to see how it controlled... not good. However, games like Age of Empries can only be played with a keyboard and mouse.

vikingm03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 vikingm03
Member since 2009 • 104 Posts
For driving games: wheel > controller > keyboard/mouse i prefer controller in all game styles though, except rts.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

[QUOTE="lowe0"]Define "better". More precise? Keyboard and mouse, in my opinion. More comfortable? Dual analog gamepad, in my opinion. I care more about being comfortable than I do about being precise, so for me, it's a gamepad. Others may prefer precision over comfort, and so choose the mouse.Phoenix534

If you find the right mouse, it can be 10x more comfortable than a controller ever could be.

I've gone through them all - symmetrical (Logitech and Apple) ergonomic (Logitech and MS), finally settling on an MS ergonomic for work (coding/data analysis) and a Logitech G3 for home. To me, neither one is as comfortable as a 360 gamepad.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#24 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

[QUOTE="lowe0"]Define "better". More precise? Keyboard and mouse, in my opinion. More comfortable? Dual analog gamepad, in my opinion. I care more about being comfortable than I do about being precise, so for me, it's a gamepad. Others may prefer precision over comfort, and so choose the mouse.Phoenix534

I just think mouse control feels a lot better in general. Never really feel like I'm in direct control in a console FPS.
awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

For first person shooters, it's easily the best.

Third person... Uhhh. Never played one.

RTS's, easily the best.

Platformers/racing and pretty much every other game, controller all the way.

Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

I like the keyboard and mouse better for First AND Third person shooters, but the controller is better for third person action games.

Pretty much I like the keyboard and mouse better for anything that involves aiming (shooters) or anything that involves pointing and clicking (puzzle, p&c adventure, RTS, TBS, RPG), and the controller for most other things .

AndyAlfredo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AndyAlfredo
Member since 2009 • 1402 Posts

KBM for FPS and RTS

Controller for platformers, fighters, TPS

After that, I don't care.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

I'm about even with KB/M and Controller for FPS and TPS, however for racing games, Controller > KB/M. That is about the only genre I can think of where the Controller beats out the KB/M.

Ryan_Som

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ryan_Som

I like the keyboard and mouse better for First AND Third person shooters, but the controller is better for third person action games.

Pretty much I like the keyboard and mouse better for anything that involves aiming (shooters) or anything that involves pointing and clicking (puzzle, p&c adventure, RTS, TBS, RPG), and the controller for most other things .

MetroidPrimePwn

So what would you pick for a game like Uncharted?

aldaris652

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 aldaris652
Member since 2009 • 195 Posts

more precise theres no doubt a kb/m is more precise than a gamepad, but even tho i just switched to console gaming (used to play cs for 8 years on da pc) The satisfaction and amazement i get when i get a nice kill with the gamepad, it really satisfies me more and its crazy to actually see how precise u can be with a gamepad.... my 2 cents

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
I prefer the K&M for almost every thing when compared to controller. TPS I do find feels odd for shooting on mouse because the animations often are much slower than the mouse movement and it ends up feeling odd. I really hate when you're shooting something in TPS and you twitch the mouse to a target and then have to wait for the animations to catch up. Turret on the car in Borderlands is a good example of this.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts

Mouse and keyboard is better for first person shooters and RPG's, but a gamepad is better for platformers and action adventure. They both work fine for anything though.

Avatar image for FunkyHeadHunter
FunkyHeadHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FunkyHeadHunter
Member since 2007 • 1758 Posts

gamepad all the way....I have used m/k for a game or 2 in the day. BUT not any longer. I do like the mouse, but the keyboard s.u.x plain and simple.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#34 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Keyboard and mouse are best for RTSs, Adventure(point n click), Simulation and MMOs.

It's overrated for FPSs, the mouse is awesome as it's more precise than a analog stick, but for keyboard, I personally don't see how great it is with those keys too spread apart. At least it's customizable. Using a controller is faster and easier for me and I can actually use the analog stick well, unlike some people...

For every other genre, controller works very well.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#35 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

It's overrated for FPSs, the mouse is awesome as it's more precise than a analog stick, but for keyboard, I personally don't see how great it is with those keys too spread apart. At least it's customizable. Using a controller is faster and easier for me and I can actually use the analog stick well, unlike some people...mitu123

The keyboard isn't the best thing about the setup, but it works, and gives you a lot of options for control.Small price to pay for the aiming being vastly more intuitive.

Plus there's always these things, if you want something more gaming-oriented than a standard keyboard.

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6609 Posts

It depends on the game, of course K&M is best for FPS and RTS games.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#37 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]It's overrated for FPSs, the mouse is awesome as it's more precise than a analog stick, but for keyboard, I personally don't see how great it is with those keys too spread apart. At least it's customizable. Using a controller is faster and easier for me and I can actually use the analog stick well, unlike some people...Cherokee_Jack

The keyboard isn't the best thing about the setup, but it works, and gives you a lot of options for control.Small price to pay for the aiming being vastly more intuitive.

Plus there's always these things, if you want something more gaming-oriented than a standard keyboard.

Damn, that looks awesome, do want! Never seen that before.:shock:

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

RTS, PNC adventure games (obviously :P), RPGS and MMOS are better with KB/M imo... more comfortable

FPS is 50/50 and HNS, Racing, platformers and sports games are better with controller imo.

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

I feel it is superior for games the require alot of mouse movement (sim games, FPS, RTS) and such. I find it vastly inferior for sports, fighting, racing, action adventure, platforming, and more.

While it is superior for FPS' compared to dual analog, I feel the wii remote>Keyboard and mouse for fps.

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

I say KB/M, especially this generation. I can't stand the huge delay that happens with wireless console controllers.

Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

Ryan_Som

Well, for Uncharted, I'd pick the controller because it's only on PlayStation 3 :P

Ryan_Som

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ryan_Som

[QUOTE="Ryan_Som"]

MetroidPrimePwn

Well, for Uncharted, I'd pick the controller because it's only on PlayStation 3 :P

Ahh, you trickster. :P

You know what I meant. Hypothetically speaking.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
k/m is best for any game the involves aiming, but if there is driving or for sports, fighters etc gamepad is better. gamepad works better across all types of games but k/m is way better for any sort of shooter.
Avatar image for FunkyHeadHunter
FunkyHeadHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FunkyHeadHunter
Member since 2007 • 1758 Posts

k/m is best for any game the involves aiming, but if there is driving or for sports, fighters etc gamepad is better. gamepad works better across all types of games but k/m is way better for any sort of shooter. imprezawrx500

MOUSE is better for aiming...NOT keyboard.

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts

Keyboard and mouse for games that require alot of inputs such has MMOs, FPS, RTS, etc etc

Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

I'd say both. Keyboard & mouse for shooters & MMORPG's & controllers for action/adventure, fighting games, some RPG's, & some other genres.

abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
They are fine, both. Controllers feel better at some games and KB/M feel better with other games.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Dual analog is just terrible for shooters.

Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts

Depends on the type of game really. Keyboard and Mouse is the best controller period for FPS, TPS, RTS, MMORPGs and RPGs of the Baldur's Gate style. Controllers are better for pretty much everything else.

CaptainHarley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#50 CaptainHarley
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

no. the arcade stick setup, for example, is always better than a keyboard and mouse for fighting games. flight sticks and throttles are always better for flight games. wheels and pedals are always better for racing games. outside of those obvious cases of specialty controllers, though, the kn/m is superior, especially for strategy and fps.