John Carmack resigns from id to focus on Oculus Rift

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Wasdie (49293 posts) -

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/22/5134500/id-software-founder-john-carmack-resigns

This is pretty big news. John Carmack is pretty much the father of modern real-time graphics rendering. A few months ago he joined the Oculus team while still working at id. He says he's going to be a technical adviser for id but it seems that his focus is now on the Oculus Rift and the software for their VR.

Pretty crazy stuff.

#2 Posted by AMD655 (4495 posts) -

Oh shit......

#3 Edited by clyde46 (43437 posts) -

id is dead now. With Carmack gone and most of the original founders already working on other things, I expect to see id sell up and close shop.

#4 Edited by charizard1605 (54310 posts) -

What the hell?!?

#5 Posted by Animal-Mother (26179 posts) -

Who didn't expect this?
All he's been doing the past couple of years is just oozing over the occulus rift. Doom 4 will come out and Zenimax will close up shop as Id Doesn't make anything of amazing stature to begin with./

#6 Posted by Heartagram_03 (3552 posts) -

Doom 4 will never live up to the hype. It'll be the next Duke Nukem Forever.

#7 Posted by kalipekona (2296 posts) -

That is some pretty crazy stuff. That said, I can understand his enthusiasm. I've used the Rift and it's pretty special. I'm not even excited for these new consoles, but I'm sure getting the consumer version of the Oculus Rift when it comes out.

@Wasdie said:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/22/5134500/id-software-founder-john-carmack-resigns

This is pretty big news. John Carmack is pretty much the father of modern real-time graphics rendering. A few months ago he joined the Oculus team while still working at id. He says he's going to be a technical adviser for id but it seems that his focus is now on the Oculus Rift and the software for their VR.

Pretty crazy stuff.

#8 Posted by menes777 (2643 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

Pretty crazy stuff.

Oh wow that is great news.

#9 Edited by musicalmac (22650 posts) -

I knew he left, but didn't know why. This reaffirms my theory that it was to focus on Rift.

That's some good friggin' news.

#10 Edited by silversix_ (13536 posts) -

damn that's big

#11 Posted by bobbetybob (19086 posts) -

That sucks for id but it gives Oculus a pretty big boost, interested in seeing how this plays out.

#12 Posted by Daious (866 posts) -

Wow, I can't believe this.

#13 Posted by Daious (866 posts) -

Wow, I can't believe this.

#14 Posted by Heil68 (42552 posts) -

I tried the Rift at Comic con, cant imagine wearing that thing for an extended period of time.

#15 Posted by uninspiredcup (6740 posts) -

ID are has beens. Like a great rock band you use to love long past there sell by date.

#16 Posted by danabo (2474 posts) -

#17 Edited by aroxx_ab (9118 posts) -

I hope we dont have to use Oculus Rift in the new Doom game lol

#18 Edited by Cyberdot (3510 posts) -

Wow.

Why would he want to work on something so gimmicky?

#19 Posted by Mystery_Writer (7852 posts) -

This is more sweet than bitter for me to be honest.

There are already many 3D engines out there with good talented teams behind them. I'm more excited to see impressive things to happen in the Oculus Rift space, and feel Carmack could potentially deliver on that with the rest of the Oculus team.

#20 Posted by Speak_Low (727 posts) -

Too early to call doom on this. While this news may send quakes throughout the industry, there's no reason to rage over this until we see more of the Oculus Rift.

#21 Edited by Wasdie (49293 posts) -

@Cyberdot said:

Wow.

Because it's not. This isn't some gimmicky gameplay feature that works for just a single game series, this is something that applies to most genres equally. Any time you have a game that moves through a 3d environment the Rift can directly benefit the experience.

#22 Posted by Jankarcop (8828 posts) -

Rift is the next big thing. PC always advancing gaming.

#23 Posted by Desmonic (12622 posts) -

This could be huge for the Oculus team and VR gaming in general. Hope Carmack manages to make a difference for the better! :)

#24 Edited by Daious (866 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

@Cyberdot said:

Wow.

Because it's not. This isn't some gimmicky gameplay feature that works for just a single game series, this is something that applies to most genres equally. Any time you have a game that moves through a 3d environment the Rift can directly benefit the experience.

Yeah, I remember John talking about VR headsets about a year ago here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYa8kirsUfg

He was really really into it before he joined OR company

#25 Posted by Phazevariance (10896 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

@Cyberdot said:

Wow.

@Cyberdot Think of it as inventing a new monitor/tv which hasn't really changed in the last 20 years except for resolution and clarity of that 2d images that looks 3d. We're not talking half baked motion controls here, its a visual experience that is completely different than just wearing 3d glasses at a theater and playing games with it.

#26 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42522 posts) -

Holy shit. This is big news.

#27 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26062 posts) -

Who didn't expect this?

All he's been doing the past couple of years is just oozing over the occulus rift. Doom 4 will come out and Zenimax will close up shop as Id Doesn't make anything of amazing stature to begin with./

id did create an engine that 2 other studios are using, so they can't close up shop. If Doom 4 bombed, then they'll just have id focus on improving id tech 5 or making the next iteration of it and have the rest of the staff as support for other studios I guess.

#28 Posted by treedoor (7478 posts) -

That's big news considering his contributions to 3D gaming.

id doesn't seem to have much of any talent that they used to have, so who knows what their future will be like.

#29 Posted by hoola (6422 posts) -

For all the people on the edge in regards to whether OR is a gimmick or not, this news should push you over. John Carmack is a mover and a pusher, he enjoys and thrives being on the cutting edge, doing things that have never been done before. This gives OR a lot more credibility I think.

#30 Posted by Pray_to_me (2733 posts) -

Oculus Rift. Doesn't it need to render the game twice? Once for each eye? So to play games at PS4 quality you'd need like 2 titans. So you need a $2k-$4k PC then the Oculus Rift itself which will be like another thousand bucks. Pffffff. All the "master race" rich boys living in their bubble so ronery wondering why nobody gives a shit about their platform. Or their gimmicks.

#31 Posted by DarkLink77 (31683 posts) -

And so the last of the original founders finally bows out.

RIP id Software. It was a good run.

#32 Edited by remiks00 (1527 posts) -

I'm excited for the future of Oculus Rift. John Carmack is a major asset to the team.

#33 Edited by Bruin1986 (1171 posts) -

Not that Id has actually been relevant for the past decade...but is it now to early to officially declare them dead in the water?

#34 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5218 posts) -

@Wasdie: no big deal for now. Doom tech is probably done. Carmack only does the engine not the game design or levels. That was Romeros, Tom Hall, American McGee, Adrian Carmack and Sandie Petersons job back in the 90s... Since then others have taken their place, and carmack still does the engine only... which with that done... it won't be an issue for a few years. By then he can work on the next engine.

#35 Posted by Shewgenja (7888 posts) -

@Cyberdot said:

Wow.

Probably because it's not actually gimmicky.

#36 Posted by tubbyc (3640 posts) -

That's good. I'm hoping they nail it.

#37 Posted by MlauTheDaft (2992 posts) -

Honestly, I'd just wait and see.

Carmack is'nt the backbone of the entire industry and if he was vitally important to Id, they had a weak businessmodel.

#38 Posted by killzowned24 (7286 posts) -

Not that big of a deal. .His megatexture was also a failure showing worse texture than the best and was beaten by others devs to ship anyway.

#39 Posted by Xtasy26 (4211 posts) -

Honestly, I am surprised. This guy is one of the Juggernauts of PC Gaming and PC Graphics in general. Honestly, I don't know if Oculus will gain wide acceptance. I would rather have him push PC gaming graphics, like he did with Doom, Quake I, Quake II, Quake III and Doom 3. Rage gaphics tech wasn't that impressive compared to what DICE and Crytek had out. I was hoping that with Doom 4, ID Software would take the graphics crown back. If there's one person who has the technical ability to take the graphics crown back from the Europeans it would America's John Carmack. It's been nearly 10 years since Doom 3 was released and wowed the world with it's graphics.

Now, my hope that DOOM 4 would push the graphics envelope is over.

#40 Posted by Wasdie (49293 posts) -

Not that big of a deal. .His megatexture was also a failure showing worse texture than the best and was beaten by others devs to ship anyway.

Megatextures weren't a failure. They are awesome and still are. Blame the consoles 512mbs of ram and DVD for small game size. He said the 100 gb version of the game had looked 100x better than the version they released.

He did 720p at 60fps on the PS3/360 which is damn impressive. If the driver support was there on the PC it wouldn't have had nearly the problems it did.

#41 Posted by handssss (1618 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

This is pretty big news. John Carmack is pretty much the father of modern real-time graphics rendering.

And he's been riding on that fact ever since. You don't see everyone following Nolan Bushnell's word as if it were law simply because he started console gaming. Honestly has he actually done anything as of late that merits praise? He's working on Rift, yes, but that's about it.

#42 Posted by killzowned24 (7286 posts) -

@Xtasy26 said:

Honestly, I am surprised. This guy is one of the Juggernauts of PC Gaming and PC Graphics in general. Honestly, I don't know if Oculus will gain wide acceptance. I would rather have him push PC gaming graphics, like he did with Doom, Quake I, Quake II, Quake III and Doom 3. Rage gaphics tech wasn't that impressive compared to what DICE and Crytek had out. I was hoping that with Doom 4, ID Software would take the graphics crown back. If there's one person who has the technical ability to take the graphics crown back from the Europeans it would America's John Carmack. It's been nearly 10 years since Doom 3 was released and wowed the world with it's graphics.

Now, my hope that DOOM 4 would push the graphics envelope is over.

id had terrible artists and a lot involves just that.

#43 Posted by MirkoS77 (6833 posts) -
#44 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38148 posts) -

Bout time really, him and trhe rest of id have been doing fvck all for a while. If they HAVE been doing something they seem to have nothing to show for it

Hopefully a great tech head like him can help big time with the Rift

#45 Posted by lawlessx (46236 posts) -
#46 Posted by killzowned24 (7286 posts) -

@Wasdie:

it was a failure in the sense that it took so long and was beaten by brink to have virtual textures first.And that his game which took forever, ended up not looking great with baked lighting.Console also had dynamic resolution going subhd.

#47 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38148 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

@killzowned24 said:

Megatextures weren't a failure. They are awesome and still are. Blame the consoles 512mbs of ram and DVD for small game size. He said the 100 gb version of the game had looked 100x better than the version they released.

He did 720p at 60fps on the PS3/360 which is damn impressive. If the driver support was there on the PC it wouldn't have had nearly the problems it did.

I'm sorry but any game that needs 100GB of space is dumb.

They may look great alright but that's just not a feasible size at all

#48 Edited by killzowned24 (7286 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

@killzowned24 said:

I doubt it would have looked great anyway since as I said, their artists suck!

#49 Edited by MirkoS77 (6833 posts) -
#50 Posted by Wasdie (49293 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

@killzowned24 said:

No. You're just used to games reusing art too much. Game are on their way to be 100+ GBs when people start demanding 100% unique environments. Id Tech 5 is ahead of its time, simple as that.