John Carmack resigns from id to focus on Oculus Rift

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

@Wasdie said:

@killzowned24 said:

Not that big of a deal. .His megatexture was also a failure showing worse texture than the best and was beaten by others devs to ship anyway.

Megatextures weren't a failure. They are awesome and still are. Blame the consoles 512mbs of ram and DVD for small game size. He said the 100 gb version of the game had looked 100x better than the version they released.

He did 720p at 60fps on the PS3/360 which is damn impressive. If the driver support was there on the PC it wouldn't have had nearly the problems it did.

So, whatever happened to megatexutures? Did ID ever release the 100GB version on the PC? Does anyone know?

I would definitely like to use that and push my HD 6970. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@Wasdie said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

I'm sorry but any game that needs 100GB of space is dumb.

They may look great alright but that's just not a feasible size at all

No. You're just used to games reusing art too much. Game are on their way to be 100+ GBs when people start demanding 100% unique environments. Id Tech 5 is ahead of its time, simple as that.

No what?

Also like I said I'm sure it looked great but it's not practical at all.

Any game could look fantastic if there were no size limits but you need to be able to balance fidelity with size. What I'm getting is that the version that launched looked shit and the one he wanted to launch looked great. Where's the middle ground?

Also RAGE was far from "100% unique environments", so many areas in that game look th exact same as each other

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@Xtasy26 said:

@Wasdie said:

@killzowned24 said:

Not that big of a deal. .His megatexture was also a failure showing worse texture than the best and was beaten by others devs to ship anyway.

Megatextures weren't a failure. They are awesome and still are. Blame the consoles 512mbs of ram and DVD for small game size. He said the 100 gb version of the game had looked 100x better than the version they released.

He did 720p at 60fps on the PS3/360 which is damn impressive. If the driver support was there on the PC it wouldn't have had nearly the problems it did.

So, whatever happened to megatexutures? Did ID ever release the 100GB version on the PC? Does anyone know?

I would definitely like to use that and push my HD 6970. :P

No they didn't, they updated the game and the textures got a bit better but the game is still rough

ConorHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By ConorHat
Member since 2013 • 141 Posts

He should have resigned years ago. He was wasting his time with the talentless hacks that are left over at id Software today. I mean, Quake Wars and then Rage? I don't think we'll see much more out of id Software again now that he has left them.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#55  Edited By way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Wasdie said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

No. You're just used to games reusing art too much. Game are on their way to be 100+ GBs when people start demanding 100% unique environments. Id Tech 5 is ahead of its time, simple as that.

No what?

Any game could look fantastic if there were no size limits but you need to be able to balance fidelity with size. What I'm getting is that the version that launched looked shit and the one he wanted to launch looked great. Where's the middle ground?

Also RAGE was far from "100% unique environments", so many areas in that game look th exact same as each other

5 years down the line 100gb size games are going to be pretty standard.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#56 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@way2funny said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Wasdie said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

No what?

5 years down the line 100gb size games are going to be pretty standard.

Not yet. Once Blu-ray gets something better and when internet bandwidth increases world wide. Right now blu-ray is a limiting factor on the consoles and ISP bandwidth limitations and speed is a huge limiting factor of DD.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

@killzowned24 said:

I doubt it would have looked great anyway since as I said, their artists suck!

iD has fantastic artists.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3211 Posts

While it's sad that the last founder of id left, it doesn't really matter anyways. id hasn't been good since the end of the 90's I mean they only made two games since Quake III and the last one that was Rage was a flop. And I have a feeling that Doom 4 (if it ever comes out) won't be as good ether. Now that he is gone I guess the question is will id manage to make any new graphics engine in the future without him since he was the one who did the work?